PDA

View Full Version : Blue and White G3 Usability Question

Eluon
Jan 21, 2007, 08:09 PM
I was given a 300MHZ Blue and White G3 Power Mac right before this school year started. It has pretty much sat in my room since it has OS 9.2 on it and only a 6 gig hard drive. I was able to get some ram for it through a local mission sale, but that is about as far as I have gotten on the upgrades. I do not have a printer that will work with the machine, and I have been struggling with what to use this machine for. It is fully functional.

I am going to be graduating college in May of this year. It came with office. My parents use my iMac G5 in my sig. at our home while I am away at school. I use my MBP on a daily basis for class and internet surfing.

Does anyone have any ideas of cool things I could use this Power Mac for?

Me1000
Jan 21, 2007, 08:14 PM
well its a good machine, it would be good for web surfing, itune, if you could find a larger hard drive, it would make a good media server!

Eidorian
Jan 21, 2007, 08:14 PM
It'd be a decent file server for the house. You'd just need to get hard drives for that. You're limited to under 128 GB unless you get a controller though.

Eluon
Jan 21, 2007, 08:24 PM
It'd be a decent file server for the house. You'd just need to get hard drives for that. You're limited to under 128 GB unless you get a controller though.

how would I go about setting that up? Is OSX compatible with OS 9.2?

Eidorian
Jan 21, 2007, 08:28 PM
how would I go about setting that up? Is OSX compatible with OS 9.2?You're going to need to update the firmware if it hasn't been already.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31002

Maxwell Smart
Jan 21, 2007, 08:29 PM
Well first I would just wipe 9.2 and install a nice fresh copy of Tiger. You should be able to get it pretty cheap secondhand, especially after leopard comes out.

Eidorian
Jan 21, 2007, 08:30 PM
Well first I would just wipe 9.2 and install a nice fresh copy of Tiger. You should be able to get it pretty cheap secondhand, especially after leopard comes out.BAD IDEA

They need to check the firmware version first.

Eluon
Jan 21, 2007, 08:41 PM
I don't have a way to install it, since Tiger is on DVD.

Is there any other use for 9.2 these days?

Eidorian
Jan 21, 2007, 08:47 PM
I don't have a way to install it, since Tiger is on DVD.

Is there any other use for 9.2 these days?Put a DVD-ROM into the machine.

9.2 is rather useless for anything other then running Classic Mac OS applications.