PDA

View Full Version : Take a look at my new website...

edesignuk
May 18, 2003, 06:34 AM
Hey all, just wanted to ask if you could take a look at my new website. It's nothing to complicated, but I think looks quite good, and displays properly in all browsers (so far as I know, tested PC: IE6, Mac: Camino, IE5, Safari v74). I only started to build it last night, so it's very early days, but I have got quite a bit together given the amount of time.

The Jatrix (http://www.thejatrix.myby.co.uk) :D

valypan
May 18, 2003, 07:20 AM
Hi! I just took a look at your web page. Its very nice! I like the simple layout and I am Matrix fan myself so its cool! :)
if you want, visit my web page
HERE (http://homepage.mac.com/valypan)
Its much simpler than yours though! Just done with .MAC :)

Ugg
May 18, 2003, 09:15 AM
Very, very cool!

MrMacMan
May 18, 2003, 09:50 AM
Good site but there is no Arrow pointing over the links page when you highlight it.

edesignuk
May 18, 2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Good site but there is no Arrow pointing over the links page when you highlight it.
hmmmm...good spot! I'd better fix that! Thanks :)

edit:
Ok, I've had a look and I can't see anything wrong. It works in Camino, & IE (PC & Mac) and the code is exactly the same as the other buttons. Anyone care to take a look at the code and see if I'm missing something? Thanks.

edit 2:
Right, I've fixed it. There wasn't anything wrong with the code, it's just Safari being an arse. The name of the img tag for links was "links", onMouseover the links text the src of "links" img was supposed to change. Well, it looks like for some stupid reason Safari can't identify an img named "links", even though all the other browsers can....tut, tut, I dunno. Safari has a way to go yet. It's a real pain in the arse trying to make sure it displays correctly in as many browsers as possible.

valypan
May 18, 2003, 10:23 AM
You are the first person who managed to upload a web page to our present time straight from the future! Check it out :)

The site was designed and built by me (Jamie Elliott) in one night, on the 17th May 20003.

So does it mean the matrix will really exist in 20003? Lets hope not hehe :)

Great page by the way :)

cc bcc
May 18, 2003, 10:25 AM
Nice site, looks good. Two small things:

1- It's not clear on what page you are in the site. You should keep the link highlighted after clicking it, it's a proven interface design thingie.

2- The rainbow eye desktop is beautiful, do you have a 1680x1050 please!? :D Where did you get the pic? Isn't it from FCP 4? Did you find it on the Apple pr site?

edit: I think Heidi needs someone to warm her up a bit, she seems cold.. :D

edesignuk
May 18, 2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by valypan
You are the first person who managed to upload a web page to our present time straight from the future! Check it out :)

The site was designed and built by me (Jamie Elliott) in one night, on the 17th May 20003.

So does it mean the matrix will really exist in 20003? Lets hope not hehe :)

Great page by the way :)
Erm...ooops! I'll fix that now. ;)

Originally posted by cc bcc

1- It's not clear on what page you are in the site. You should keep the link highlighted after clicking it, it's a proven interface design thingie.

2- The rainbow eye desktop is beautiful, do you have a 1680x1050 please!? :D Where did you get the pic? Isn't it from FCP 4? Did you find it on the Apple pr site?

edit: I think Heidi needs someone to warm her up a bit, she seems cold.. :D

Point 1 > I was thinking about that, as i have said, this is very new, and no doubt I will change things.

Point 2 > PM me your e-mail address, I have a 1600x1024 version witch you can edit to fit.

mmmm....Heidi

BTW, I just added another 9 desktops :D

edesignuk
May 18, 2003, 11:05 AM

Ok, I've made it so that when you are in an area, the area you are in is in a lighter green, it's subtle, but noticeable. What do you think?

cc bcc
May 18, 2003, 11:54 AM
That's better, it's a subtle hint and that's enough!
What else you can do (It's not my intention to come across as a smartass!) is to preload the button graphics. If I press a button, it takes a little while to load the greener version. Dreamweaver can add a preload script.

Oh man a 1680x1050 version of the rainbow eye would look really great on my 20" Cinema Display. :D

Tips for anyone who's interested in interface design (such as websites):

Apple Human Interface Guidelines
The Design of Everyday Things (Donald A. Norman)
The Humane Interface (Jef Raskin)

( I'm still reading the last two books now, not yet halfway through both of them.. )

edesignuk
May 18, 2003, 11:59 AM
That's better, it's a subtle hint and that's enough!
What else you can do (It's not my intention to come across as a smartass!) is to preload the button graphics. If I press a button, it takes a little while to load the greener version. Dreamweaver can add a preload script.

hehehe, funny you should say that. I have *just* uploaded a new version which preloads all images needed for the menu. It seems to work well, but it's kinda hard for me to tell, everything loads so quick anyway (2000Kb/s+ cable :D), could you give it a go for me and let me know if it works? (empty cache first of course ;))

Thanks.

cc bcc
May 18, 2003, 12:17 PM
lol, yeah it works now. Even with a connection that fast you should notice the delays in loading a graphic, I have 1.75 Mbit and I noticed. ;)

edesignuk
May 18, 2003, 12:21 PM
lol, yeah it works now. Even with a connection that fast you should notice the delays in loading a graphic, I have 1.75 Mbit and I noticed. ;)
Yeah, but it is harder to tell, I presumed that would be on dial-up if you were noticing it a lot. Any 56k users around that can check it out?

dynamicd
May 18, 2003, 12:34 PM
I love your desktops, would it be possible for you to put the res sizes underneath them?

edesignuk
May 18, 2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by dynamicd
I love your desktops, would it be possible for you to put the res sizes underneath them?
I've thought about it, but at the moment I don't think so. IMO the pages look a lot more tidy and clean without it. What I may do is make it so that when you scroll over the image the status bar displays the image resolution....but I'll have to see about that.

wdlove
May 18, 2003, 01:54 PM
Very nice site, edesignuk, thank you! So are you letting people us them for their desktop? The desktops are beautiful with a nice broad based selection!

edesignuk
May 18, 2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
Very nice site, edesignuk, thank you! So are you letting people us them for their desktop? The desktops are beautiful with a nice broad based selection!
Glad you like it! I have loads more desktops to put up there, but it takes time. Of course you can use them, that's what they're there for :)

medea
May 18, 2003, 04:03 PM
sorry but to be honest The Matrix is lame and basing your whole site on the matrix without it being a true fan site is even lamer.
don't take that to heart though.

edesignuk
May 18, 2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by medea
sorry but to be honest The Matrix is lame and basing your whole site on the matrix without it being a true fan site is even lamer.
Excuse me? The Matrix is "lame"? And I am "lame" for using it as a theme for my site? I pretty sure there are millions, hell, maybe billions that don't agree, and like me, love The Matrix.

Wes
May 18, 2003, 04:24 PM

Sure, I'm not a huge Matrix fan, but still you must be reasonable, the site is solid. Telling him his site is lame just because he based it on The Matrix is a bit harsh. Each to his own, but I'd like to see your site.

cc bcc
May 18, 2003, 04:29 PM

wdlove
May 18, 2003, 04:41 PM

It's hard not to take critial comments to heart, otherwise he wouldn't be human. Everyone is entitled to build there website around what interests them. He did a better job because he believes in his concept! ;)

cc bcc
May 18, 2003, 04:56 PM
It would be cool (imho) if you took a monospace font (courier) for the text, unix terminial prompt style like "follow the white rabbit_" follow the white rabbit with a flashing cursor at the end of each page. :) Just an idea.

edesignuk
May 18, 2003, 04:59 PM
It would be cool (imho) if you took a monospace font (courier) for the text, unix terminial prompt style like "follow the white rabbit_" follow the white rabbit with a flashing cursor at the end of each page. :) Just an idea. Actually I did try using Courier, but it looked awful! I may be able to do the blinking underscore with a gif....hmmmm...have to look in to it.

cc bcc
May 18, 2003, 05:09 PM
Actually I did try using Courier, but it looked awful!

Yeah it might be boring actually. :D Unless, of course, they would be falling down leaving trails of random letters, fontcolors starting with a very light green then fade away to a dark green in a random fashion. (It might be a little bit hard to read.) :D

scem0
May 18, 2003, 05:43 PM
I love Courier! Fixed width fonts rock. Hmmmm I like the site. I'm getting a little sick of the matrix but I like it none-the-less.

Mr. Anderson
May 18, 2003, 06:04 PM
Very nice site - solid, looking forward to seeing some more backgrounds.

Are they all ones you found or did you make any of them yourself?

And bashing a site based on personal preference (Medea) isn't a very constructive critique of the work. If there was something wrong or obtuse in navigation/data presentation that would be one thing. Style is subjective - the site works well in many ways, good job edesignuk.

D

medea
May 18, 2003, 09:55 PM
oh gee I guess I should have lied then instead of give my opinion....
oh the matrix is soo great, really cool your basing your site around it, along with hundreds of others out there, way to go, high five.
Finally the history of cinema has culminated into 100% special effects and zero percent actual script.
Please, if he didn't want criticism or peoples opinions then he wouldn't (or maybe shouldn't) have asked.

maradong
May 19, 2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by edesignuk
Hey all, just wanted to ask if you could take a look at my new website. It's nothing to complicated, but I think looks quite good, and displays properly in all browsers (so far as I know, tested PC: IE6, Mac: Camino, IE5, Safari v74). I only started to build it last night, so it's very early days, but I have got quite a bit together given the amount of time.

The Jatrix (http://www.thejatrix.myby.co.uk) :D

very nice :D

GeneR
May 19, 2003, 01:45 AM
I'm getting pretty sick of the Matrix too. Too much hype = overkill in my book. To give you and idea of how sick I am of it: I'm almost as sick of it as I am of JLo and Ben Affleck. (And that's pretty bad in my book. :D) Maybe they all have the same publicist?

However, I thought edesignuk's site was pretty cool. Not so much that it was based on The Matrix, but because I liked your clear arrangement and color scheme. Good job.

Now, I'm going to go ralph for seeing another picture of the Matrix. :D

edesignuk
May 19, 2003, 02:37 AM
oh gee I guess I should have lied then instead of give my opinion....
oh the matrix is soo great, really cool your basing your site around it, along with hundreds of others out there, way to go, high five.
Finally the history of cinema has culminated into 100% special effects and zero percent actual script.
Please, if he didn't want criticism or peoples opinions then he wouldn't (or maybe shouldn't) have asked.
What is your problem? First off, The Matrix does have a great story, it is actually one (IMO) of the most complex scripts I have ever seen, and apparently the Reloaded is even more so.
Anyway, I posted this thread to get some real criticism, others have posted real genuine criticism from which I have been able to improve the site.
Matrix bashing and calling my site lame because of it is just "lame" on your part. :rolleyes:

edesignuk
May 19, 2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Are they all ones you found or did you make any of them yourself?

http://www.thejatrix.myby.co.uk/faq.html ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 19, 2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by edesignuk
http://www.thejatrix.myby.co.uk/faq.html ;)

hahaha, good, that was the only link I didn't check. thanks.

so which ones are yours?

D

edesignuk
May 19, 2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
hahaha, good, that was the only link I didn't check. thanks.

so which ones are yours?

D
Well, not many so far, but there are a few....

Center, left of the center, and bottom right on the first page.
Left of the center on the last page. Not many I know, but I just wanted to get something up there as soon as I could.