PDA

View Full Version : Networking: iBook to windows PC

CrackedButter
May 18, 2003, 08:59 AM
I have a hub with the iBook and the PC connected and following the intructsions in the OSX: The missing Manual i did for a period of 5 minutes have them both networked, it found the PC without my help, i was infact typing in the IP address as it found it.

When i made the connection i then wanted to transfer some files over which i did, halfway through the transfer quit and ever since then the iBook has never managed to get the connection back.

I'm at a loss as what to do next, anybody with some help?

The IP address of the PC is 192.168.0.2 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and as i said the iBook worked the first time and the iBook was running 10.2.1, since then i have formatted and i am now on version 10.2.6 (i did try it with 10.2.5).

This PC does still connect with other windows machine through the hub so i'm thinking something is wrong with my mac but since i've only had it 2 months i'm not that well versed as of yet.

Any help is welcome.

nef919
May 18, 2003, 09:36 AM
What version of windows is the box running. Check the permissions on the share. Does the iBook still see it in the connect to server box? I had a similar problem a year or so ago. Turns out I didn't have the permissions set properly on the share. Win2k box. Hope this helps.

CrackedButter
May 18, 2003, 03:46 PM
I have set up everything correctly as far as i know on the windows ME box. It works one day then it doesn't another day.

MisterMe
May 18, 2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by CrackedButter
I have set up everything correctly as far as i know on the windows ME box. It works one day then it doesn't another day. Windows ME? That might be your problem.

CrackedButter
May 19, 2003, 06:30 AM
Maybe you're right... maybe you're right.

sturm375
May 19, 2003, 04:39 PM
Is it possible that one (iBook or PC) "Fell Asleep" durring the transfer?

Does your network have a DHCP server (ie router, broadband, etc.)? If so, has either one of the IP address changed?

In OS X, go to SystemOSX:Applications:Utilities:Network Utility
go to the "Ping" tab, and ping the PC.