Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
London
I don't have a sufficient post count to post in the marketplace, so instead I come here looking for advice.

I have a 15" Alu G4 Powerbook, which has served me very well for 2 years. Except a minor hiccup when the HDD decided to commit suicide :eek:.

Well it has a few bumps a bruises, and while it still performs very fast and well, I am looking in the very near future of getting a MBP and pawning my current PB to my girlfriend so I can get her used to Macs and all things Apple, so eventually when she replaces her aged and slow laptop, she'll only have eyes for a MacBook lol.

What I'm seeking out advice or help on, is that I am looking for cheap parts for the G4 Powerbook. Mostly cosmetic damages, but I would like to change and fix them myself. So the specific parts I am looking for are:

- Top casing (apple logo): have one small dent and very minor marks, that I would like to rid of.
- Main palm rest area: got the dreaded 'pitting' and would love to get rid of that!
- Screen: now this is a bit more of a biggie, have the other ailement of powerbook's - 'white spots'. They are there, although I have used my PB for about 3 years I usually see past it as I'm used to it. But I'd love to change the screen.

There are some services out there that can do it all for me, but the cost for an old generation laptop service, is too damn high and would be a huge chunk of the money needed to buy a new MB lol. So I'm seeking some advice as to where to buy spare parts or a powerbook that no longer works (or knows of someone that has some) but is in good cosmetic condition that I can canabalise to make my powerbook look like new again.

Hope someone on this amazing board can help, just pm me or reply.

Thanks!

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
London
I have seen that site. It is great, although I'm based in the UK - it's not too much of a problem.

But if you look at the prices, they are really high, too high to repair what is now an old laptop. If I purchased the parts I wanted, it would add up to a price of a brand new MacBook lol.

Thanks for the site, but I'm really looking for anyone who knows where I could get second hand parts, or my hands on powerbooks that don't work anymore so that I could salvage what I need. I don't mind paying for the parts, but the prices will have to be realistic, ie. not the combined price of a new laptop ;)

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
London
I did have a trawl, but didn't find what I was looking for.

I do keep checking it often though :)

Just hoping that someone will have a lead on what I'm looking for. I do appreciate the help though!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.