PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook 5300

Macmaniac
May 18, 2003, 10:16 AM
I just got a Powerbook 5300c off my old school that was going to throw it away. It still works, it runs OS 8.5 and has a 750mb HD with 16 of RAM. The battery does hold a charge but no longer than 20 minutes. I was wondering if ayone knows a good site to find extra ram and batteries for this kind of laptop.
The requirements for the RAM, must be faster than 70ns, must have TSOP low profile RAM, and it the RAM type is DRAM.
The battery is a NiMH battery and I think the 30 millampere rechargable lithium battery for the calender/clock is on the way out.
If you know where I can find this kind of stuff please post!
Also if anyone has a CD drive that hooks up to SCSI HDI-30 please post!
If anyone has advice about this laptop tell me!
Thanks alot!

5300cs
May 19, 2003, 11:36 PM
Oof, wish you were in Japan- there's parts all over the place for the 5300, especially on Yahoo! Auctions. How about Sun Remarketing?

As for a CD drive, I know it sucks, but I use an Apple CD300 (single speed, 2x oof) but works great. Real pain to find the correct connector for the PowerBook though...

wilhelmd
May 27, 2003, 02:24 PM
Regarding the SCSI-port: You can just buy a cheap converter and pick up an old 4x CD-ROM drive and use that. You might have to install some drivers to get special features working, though. Or - if you're a collector/fanatic, try getting a hold of an Apple PowerCD! They're _very_ hard to come by here in Norway, and I'm still searching...

Remember to use sleep instead of shutdown/startup when you're working on such a limited battery (except if you're not going use it for a week or so).

Macmaniac
May 27, 2003, 08:30 PM
I will probably get a new battery, this one holds a charge for 20 minutes on a good day. I saw some good deals on eBay for new ones at only $20, I will probably get one.
I am a little confused with SCSI, if I get a conveter what kind of cables are needed to hook up a SCSI CD do they use 50 pin male or female setups?

jefhatfield
May 28, 2003, 11:16 PM
you may want to check out www.sunremarketing.com for older parts

bushdr88
Jun 3, 2003, 03:14 PM
I recently bought three 5300 batteries for $17.99 at MegaMacs.com (Clearance section). All three seem to work reasonably well, but make sure you give them plenty of time to charge. Ram remains relatively pricey, but check out wegenermedia.com (where I just bought my 5300cs for $60).