PDA

View Full Version : Odd Sayings

bennetsaysargh
May 18, 2003, 10:28 AM
When Americans say break a leg, British people seem to look at us like we're nut-jobs.

Anyone have anymore examples of something like this?

eyelikeart
May 18, 2003, 10:36 AM
when it's raining while the sun is shining out...it's called "the devil beating his wife"

my grandmother used to say that all the time when I was little... :)

shakespeare
May 18, 2003, 11:00 AM
Actually, there's a pretty cool explanation to "break a leg." (I know this because I'm an actor.) The legs in a theatre are the long, thin curtains by the side of the stage that hide the area immediately backstage. If you have to make an entrance, the stage manager pulls aside the curtain for you. But if you do really well in a performance, just maybe, the audience will keep clapping so long that you have to give a second curtain call. In those cases, the SM won't pull aside the curtain for you (by this time, they are stressed enough that they are probably already soaking their feet and sucking on ice), so you have to just walk through the curtain - or break the leg.

King Cobra
May 18, 2003, 11:30 AM
They call the time period in a day in which many people leave from work into crowded and bogged roadways and highways "rush hour".

Doctor Q
May 18, 2003, 11:39 AM
Proverbs are always contradicting themselves. Just try and follow these gems of advice:

You can't teach an old dog new tricks. vs. You're never too old to learn.

Actions speak louder than words. vs. The pen is mightier than the sword.

Silence is golden. vs. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

And my favorite:

He who hesitates is lost. vs. Look before you leap. Hmmm. Should I follow this advice right away, or should I contemplate it first?

amnesiac1984
May 18, 2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
When Americans say break a leg, British people seem to look at us like we're nut-jobs.

Anyone have anymore examples of something like this?

Well, whatever british person looked at your liek you were a nut-job must have been extremely retarded.

This saying has been used in this country since shakespearian times.

And in fact, shakespear, you are right about the acting part, but the meaning of the saying, according to my drama teacher, was far more superstitious. During the times that shakespeares plays were first being performed there was some sort of belief that actors had (actors being very superstitious in general) that there were these little gremlin things or some kind of force that would make things happen opposite to what you people said should happen, sort of a version of sod's law if you like. So actors started wishing each other luck by saying "break a leg" hoping the little gremlin thingy would hear and make the opposite happen, ie, they wouldn't break their legs on stage.

A strange story but its true.

King Cobra
May 18, 2003, 11:50 AM
>Actions speak louder than words. vs. The pen is mightier than the sword. (Doctor Q)

I feel these two sayings are unrelated to each other. The first one seems to deal with how intense of an emotional standpoint an individual is in, while the second one deals with intelligence and how writing things down on a sheet of paper is smarter than resorting to violence.

Doctor Q
May 18, 2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
>Actions speak louder than words. vs. The pen is mightier than the sword. (Doctor Q)

I feel these two sayings are unrelated to each other. The first one seems to deal with how intense of an emotional standpoint an individual is in, while the second one deals with intelligence and how writing things down on a sheet of paper is smarter than resorting to violence. I don't see an emotion vs. intelligence distinction here. The first proverb is about spoken words while the second is about written words, but I think they are both about the brain vs. brawn, with the former taking the brawn point of view and the latter taking the brain point of view.

tazo
May 18, 2003, 01:13 PM
any of those where you go like, he is a few fries short of a biggie frie. :)

GeneR
May 21, 2003, 02:01 AM
Okay, maybe not so strange:

"His train of thought is still boarding at the station."

"The elevator doesn't go to the top floor."

"S/he's dumber than rocks."

:D

Zaid
May 21, 2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
when it's raining while the sun is shining out...it's called "the devil beating his wife"

my grandmother used to say that all the time when I was little... :)

Back home (South Africa) when I was little, I remember hearing, 'die apies trou vandag' (the monkies' are getting married today) whenever this happened. :)

bennetsaysargh
May 21, 2003, 06:09 AM
ooh, i got another one,
why do we say, it's cold as hell today, and then on another day we can say it's hot as hell?

maradong
May 21, 2003, 06:36 AM
take french leave.
filer ā l anglaise

it goes back to the 30year war. english and french people can t smell each other since. :D at least in funny speaking, i mean joking one over the other. ...

pivo6
May 21, 2003, 07:10 AM
Instead of saying "Well I'll be a monkey's uncle,a friend of mine from high school would say, "well dip me in *****". It's still funny at least to me.

kettle
May 21, 2003, 07:14 AM
- It couldn't stop a pig in a passage.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth

you may find it's getting a little long in the tooth.
:eek:

whooleytoo
May 21, 2003, 07:18 AM
"Now you're sucking diesel" - Irish expression, meaning, 'now you're doing well'.

One saying that really bugs me, is "I could care less"; when what it should be is "I COULDN'T care less"; i.e. 'I care so little, I couldn't possibly care any less'. The first doesn't even make sense (...not that sucking diesel does either... :)

Mike.

britboy
May 21, 2003, 07:44 AM
My all-time favourite has to be:

It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey

Followed by:

He/She is as thick as two short planks

:)

Mr. Anderson
May 21, 2003, 08:02 AM
I just used one in another post and really have no idea where it came from -

'tide you over'..... I understand its meaning, but that's it

D

Zaid
May 21, 2003, 08:06 AM
Then there is also "taking the piss" (making a joke out of something, playing the fool)

Mal
May 21, 2003, 08:07 AM
Actions speak louder than words. vs. The pen is mightier than the sword.

That's actually not a contradiction, because the first one is saying that your message is carried better if backed up with your actions, while the second says that more powerful changes can be made through writing than by killing. Not really a contradiction.

JW

tazo
May 21, 2003, 08:21 AM
ooh, i got another one,
why do we say, it's cold as hell today, and then on another day we can say it's hot as hell?

that is a great line. I myself am guilty of it and I never though of it like. that. lol.

Doctor Q
May 21, 2003, 11:35 AM
"My alarm clock went off, so I turned it off."

bennetsaysargh
May 21, 2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
"My alarm clock went off, so I turned it off."

lol. that's a good one. i say that a lot.

mactastic
May 21, 2003, 03:45 PM
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!
Why do we drive on parkways, and park on driveways?

gottfrid
May 21, 2003, 04:22 PM
in Sweden we say: "Det är ingen ko på isen" which translate to "There is no cow on the ice"

basically: "take it easy, there´s no rush (since there is no cow on the ice)

nice one?

crazytom
May 21, 2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by britboy
My all-time favourite has to be:

It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey

This one has some history. Back in the day...what day I don't remember....when they used to stack brass cannon balls in pyramid fashion (called a brass monkey), if it got cold enough, some of the cannon balls would split...hence, cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey...

strider42
May 21, 2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by kettle
- It couldn't stop a pig in a passage.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth

you may find it's getting a little long in the tooth.
:eek:

don't look a gift horse in the mouth comes from the practice of looking in a horses mouth you are going to buy to see if its healthy. It wouldn't really be polite to get a gift, and then check it out to see if its got anything wrong with it.

A couple of people have mentioned the monkeys uncle thing, which I've always assumed goes back to the early debates over evolution, and people getting the realization that they are, indeed, a moneky's uncle.

The one I've never understood is the concept of a **** eating grin.

tazo
May 21, 2003, 06:14 PM
when people say things like, "there are so many things wrong with that", and then can only name one thing.

tazo

GeneR
May 21, 2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by crazytom
This one has some history. Back in the day...what day I don't remember....when they used to stack brass cannon balls in pyramid fashion (called a brass monkey), if it got cold enough, some of the cannon balls would split...hence, cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey...

It's amazing how something with that kind of historical meaning could come to be portrayed as something, well, sexual. heh! :D

Doctor Q
May 21, 2003, 06:42 PM
Some people live on hills or cul-de-sacs where street directions are asymmetrical. I happen to live on a flat, two-way street, yet I have to say "My friend lives up the street from me" or "My friend lives down the street from me", which apparently mean the same thing. I could say "My friend lives on my street" to avoid the problem, but why is the problem there in the first place? To avoid having this get me down, I think I'll down a few cookies and drink up some Seven Up.

jelloshotsrule
May 21, 2003, 06:44 PM
people that say "standing on line"..

sorry, but it's "in line"

bennetsaysargh
May 21, 2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
people that say "standing on line"..

sorry, but it's "in line"

i think the word "the" is supposed to be in there
standing on the line.
that could go either way.

BrittasMac
May 21, 2003, 07:10 PM
More _____ then you can shake a hickory stick at.

jelloshotsrule
May 21, 2003, 07:18 PM
i think the word "the" is supposed to be in there
standing on the line.
that could go either way.

"the" is definitely not in there in the version i am referring to as dumb...

on the line is still dumb, but not as bad as "on line"

i wonder if this was being said before the internet or not.

i make fun of my girlfriend every time she says it...

abdul
May 21, 2003, 07:29 PM
mardy- this word it thought would be in the dictionary but was shocked that it wasnt there. Its one of my favourite words and is used like an everyday type of word in the area that i live in, and has been used for over a hundred years.

Mardy is a word that is not easily defined but can mean moody, upset but can be more widely used. From this word we get 'mard'

Which can be used .......
"dont get in a mard!"

im at uni at the mo and everyone loves the use of this word, only people from my county and surrounding counties use it.

dreamlance
May 21, 2003, 08:07 PM
Here in southern LA, people say "I've gotta save the dishes," meaning to take them out of the dishwasher, sink, whatever. I honestly asked someone "Save them from what?" the first time I heard it.

They say "fixin' to" as well - meaning "I'm about to."

crazytom
May 21, 2003, 08:52 PM
I always liked:

I'm more nervous than a long tailed cat in a room full of rockers.

and, where does "Sam Hill" come from: i.e. "What in the Sam Hill are you doing?"

melchior
May 21, 2003, 09:22 PM
Sam Hill (http://www.livinggoldpress.com/samhill.htm)

seems very dull and entirely dubious....

crazytom
May 21, 2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by melchior
Sam Hill (http://www.livinggoldpress.com/samhill.htm)

seems very dull and entirely dubious....

Hmmm. I looked for the phrase last year...it's amazing what pops up now! Here's another. (http://phrases.shu.ac.uk/bulletin_board/8/messages/285.html)

britboy
May 22, 2003, 03:59 AM

Almost. The cannon balls were indeed stacked in a pyramid fashion, and kept on a brass plate, called a 'brass monkey' (goodness knows why....). When it got really cold (ie. freezing), the brass plate would shrink, causing the cannon balls to fall off the edge. Hence, 'freeze the brass balls off a monkey'.

You gotta love the sexual connotations mariners liked to give things ;)

crazytom
May 22, 2003, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the correction....I wasn't completely sure of the history and was sweating like a whore on dollar day. :D

mactastic
May 22, 2003, 10:32 AM
I'm busting more $hi@ than an incontinent man at a chili cook off. - M.C. Hawking

mcrain
May 22, 2003, 11:21 AM
She can suck a golfball through a garden hose.

She can suck the chrome plating off a trailer hitch.

Foxer
May 22, 2003, 11:47 AM
To quote my role-model Beavis:

"Why do they call it taking a dump? You don't take anything. It should be leaving a dump. Funk that!"

britboy
May 22, 2003, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the correction....I wasn't completely sure of the history and was sweating like a whore on dollar day. :D

How you know what that feels like......I don't want to know ;) :D

bennetsaysargh
May 22, 2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Foxer
To quote my role-model Beavis:

"Why do they call it taking a dump? You don't take anything. It should be leaving a dump. Funk that!"

beavis is awesome dude!

Doctor Q
May 22, 2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by britboy
How you know what that feels like......I don't want to knowAnother odd type of saying is when people take a bite of something and say "It tastes like..." when they couldn't possibly know. Examples: "This Eggo low-fat waffle tastes like corrugated cardboard" or "Mom's meatloaf tastes like vulture toenails drenched with motor oil."

tazo
May 22, 2003, 06:21 PM
what about this one:

sweating like a whore in the catholic church. lol. I always thought that one was stupid. lol.