PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive never spins down

MoparShaha
May 18, 2003, 02:35 PM
I've got an iMac DV SE. Ever since Apple did away with the slider bar for the hard disk sleep in the energy saver preference pane and changed it to "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible" checkbox, my hard drive *never* spins down anymore. I did replace the drive over a year ago with an 80 GB 7200 RPM drive, but it used to spin down before the afformentioned software change. It's annoying because I leave my computer on all the time, and don't want to put it to sleep because I need the network connections to stay open. Anyone have any ideas?

yzedf
May 18, 2003, 03:47 PM
downgrade you OS...

MacBandit
May 18, 2003, 03:50 PM
It doesn't spin down even when you put it to sleep? You don't have any background taks such as folding or Seti running do you?

MoparShaha
May 18, 2003, 03:58 PM
Downgrading the OS doesn't seem like a bad idea.......seems like every update brings new problems. But thats for another thread......:rolleyes:

Currently, I'm running 10.2.6, and I don't have any background processes running, or at least I don't think I do. Only apps I have open normally are mail.app and ichat. I never hear the computer doing anything, it never sounds "busy". The hard drive does spin down when I put it to sleep, but I rarely do that as I want to still be logged into iChat (this problem existed even when I was using AIM). I guess I'll just have to wait till panther, hopefully that'll cure many of these little bugs.

MacBandit
May 18, 2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by MoparShaha
Downgrading the OS doesn't seem like a bad idea.......seems like every update brings new problems. But thats for another thread......:rolleyes:

Currently, I'm running 10.2.6, and I don't have any background processes running, or at least I don't think I do. Only apps I have open normally are mail.app and ichat. I never hear the computer doing anything, it never sounds "busy". The hard drive does spin down when I put it to sleep, but I rarely do that as I want to still be logged into iChat (this problem existed even when I was using AIM). I guess I'll just have to wait till panther, hopefully that'll cure many of these little bugs.

I don't think you will be able to spin the hard drive down as long as you are running an active application such as AIM or iChat.

When was the last time you reinstalled the system? I recommend reinstalling before every major system update. You will have far fewer problems and the system will run much much faster. It really isn't a big deal. When you startup off of the installer cd you have the option of system archive with the option of copying your settings over. This will save your old system in another folder at the root level of your drive and will copy all your preferences, options, and settings to your new system. It will in no way affect your apps, documents or any other files on your disk. When your done run software update and apply all the updates. You will then need to restart and run software updater again to finish off the remaining updates that will appear after restart.

MoparShaha
May 18, 2003, 04:16 PM
Yeah, its been quite awhile since I reinstalled my system. Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot.

MacBandit
May 18, 2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by MoparShaha
Yeah, its been quite awhile since I reinstalled my system. Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot.

I think you will notice vast improvements in performance and overall system function and reliability. Good luck.