PDA

View Full Version : Apple G5 Users, question for you about Aiport

altairuk
Jan 22, 2007, 04:56 PM
did you get some little aerial for wireless use via airport with your G5 ?

the wireless signal on my G5 is pretty poor but perfect on my macbook and pc and my mate mentioned something about some aerial which comes with your G5 which you attach to the back of your G5 and this boosts the signal reception or something...i cant really understand how it connects to the airport card which is inside the G5 but i take his word for it.

my questions are :

has anyone used one of these aerials ?
did it improve your signal reception ?
do you know if you can buy them second hand ?
is there any other way of improving reception on the internal aiport card on my G5 [my network is fine, its a prob with the wireless on the G5]

any info or help would be appreciated :)

mkrishnan
Jan 22, 2007, 05:05 PM
What kind of G5? iMac or PowerMac? My iMac has perfectly good Airport reception. You can probably get an antenna, but I'd start with wondering whether the internal antenna is properly plugged in. Particularly on units like the PowerMac where the WiFi is a customization, sometimes the little harness that connects the WiFi cards to the internal antenna is loose and you get poor reception.

tobefirst
Jan 22, 2007, 05:19 PM
If you're talking about a Power Mac, there is an antenna that gets plugged into the back of the tower. It's a small, plastic, T-shaped piece, and I couldn't get any reception without it.

I lost mine sometime between when I got the computer and when I installed the AE card. I even called up Apple to see if I could buy one. They shipped me one free of charge, even though my computer was out of warranty. I would try giving Apple a call. I *think* that I called the store number and then got transferred to the service/AppleCare department, but I can't remember.

theblotted
Jan 23, 2007, 01:00 AM
you talking about one of these?

http://www.welovemacs.com/9226043.html

my old G5 was the same, couldn't get much reception without it. it'll help a lot.