PDA

View Full Version : How do you get rid of poison ivy/oak/or whatever that third one is...

vniow
May 18, 2003, 04:24 PM
I was walking my dog a couple days ago through this little path near my house so that she could get some exersize (fat little poodle) and I woke up the next day with poison oak on my hands.http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=252654

I'm pretty sensitive to it so I may have just walked by it without even touching it and got it.....anybody here with some tips or something that I haven't tried yet?

-V

Roger1
May 18, 2003, 04:35 PM
Calamine lotion helps some. I think there are also some kinds of medicated soaps you can buy and use to help get rid of it. I suggest you go to a local pharmacy and ask them what they recommend for treatment. I also suggest you don't scratch. This will make is spread quicker, especially if your sensitive to it.

Good luck and hope you feel better. :)

King Cobra
May 18, 2003, 04:37 PM
The third one is sumac.

I can't relate to having the same experiences, unfortunately, but you need to get absolutely all of the poison removed and off your hands before it spreads or gets worse.

Resource: Read the last third of the document, especially the letter from Greg Smith (http://patc.net/resources/florafauna/pois_ivy.html)

Use COLD WATER and soap. Rinse and repeat multiple times.

Warm water will break the skin and cause the diluted poison to enter the broken skin.

janey
May 18, 2003, 06:30 PM
calamine lotion always helps...and under no circumstances scratch it!!! it's gonna get worse
good luck

Mr. Anderson
May 18, 2003, 07:03 PM
Poison Ivy is the least irritating, followed by Oak then Sumac - but they're all no fun. I used to work for a tree company in Ct. for summers while in college and managed to get poison ivy about 12 separate times one summer. Not fun. If it gets bad you might need to get a hydrocortizone(sp?) but until you get really concerned try to prevent spreading.

Washing your hands is good, and if the bumps stay wet or leak moisture/puss, its a greater potential for spreading - once things start drying you're getting better.

Just don't scratch! :D

Good luck

D

scem0
May 18, 2003, 07:08 PM
I don't know whether borage oil would help, but it helps cure rashes, and other skin disorders.

I have taken it to help with acne.

wdlove
May 18, 2003, 07:44 PM
You have gotton very good suggestions vinow. I can remember my grandmother fondly. My mother used to say that she dragged me through poison ivy, luckly I'm resistant. Would never want to test that though! I've seen many others suffer. But washing you hands, not scratching, and Calamine Lotion with Benadryl is good. Benadry is sold over the counter, that will help to control itching. I trully hope that you get better soon vinow!

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/

Ugg
May 18, 2003, 08:00 PM
Make sure that you thoroughly wash everything you were wearing that day. If it was poison oak, the oils can stick around for awhile and cause future problems. Especially leather and or synthetic fibers.

I had a bad case of poison oak a number of years ago, it went away quickly but two weeks later, wore the same jacket and got a mild case again.

vniow
May 18, 2003, 08:17 PM
Thanx for the tips everyone, I've done or in the process of doing most of that although its starting to spread..http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=252654

May have to go and get another shot...

type_r503
May 19, 2003, 01:39 AM
It doesn't really spread, it just appears that way. This is due the fact that different parts of your body react differently to the chemicals. Once you have cleaned all the chemicals away it is impossible to spread. "Getting" Poison Oak is similar to a chemical burn. The bubbles form as a way of protecting your body from the chemicals. Which is a little too late as you can tell. If you really want it to go away fast mix salt and talc with a little bit of water and apply to affected areas. This will dry them out and rid you of the symptoms. Using calimine is actually bad because it will add moisture to the area and make it last longer.

I have used this and it works.

I am not a Doctor but I stayed at a Holliday Inn.

jefhatfield
May 19, 2003, 06:35 PM
technu is a great product...it takes kind of long but gets the job done faster than calamine lotion

Doctor Q
May 19, 2003, 07:00 PM
Was Miss Flt ("fat little poodle") affected by the poison oak? Might there be oil on her coat that could get on you, clothes, or furniture again?

I'm curious - what is Miss Flt's real name?

King Cobra
May 19, 2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by type_r503
I am not a Doctor but I stayed at a Holliday Inn.

Oh, dear. Another one spends too much time watching [certain] commercials.

As for the dog, perhaps her bed. Unless she sleeps in your bed, Ms. V...? :eek:

Sun Baked
May 19, 2003, 07:14 PM
There is one place you don't want to scratch in it's still on your hands, but the oils do make for an interesting additive to TP if there is somebody you really hate. ;)

King Cobra
May 19, 2003, 07:19 PM
So finally I am forced out of my chair...to find my dinner end up in a wastebasket.

But when you are talking about oils, and there is one I know about very well, I would venture to say that TP stands for tits and p****. :D

vniow
May 19, 2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Was Miss Flt ("fat little poodle") affected by the poison oak? Might there be oil on her coat that could get on you, clothes, or furniture again?

If that's the case, then it would have gotton over pretty much every other part of my body since she sleeps in my bed every nite...

I'm curious - what is Miss Flt's real name?

Lily.

Originally posted by King Cobra
As for the dog, perhaps her bed. Unless she sleeps in your bed, Ms. V...? :eek:

Yep.

Originally posted by Sun Baked
There is one place you don't want to scratch in it's still on your hands, but the oils do make for an interesting additive to TP if there is somebody you really hate. ;) Better than creamy peanut butter?

Sun Baked
May 19, 2003, 08:28 PM
So finally I am forced out of my chair...to find my dinner end up in a wastebasket.

But when you are talking about oils, and there is one I know about very well, I would venture to say that TP stands for tits and p****. :D Well if it's somebody you hate, I doubt you'd get access to their tits or p****, so I'd probably be cruel enough apply it to the "toilet paper" instead.

King Cobra
May 19, 2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Well if it's somebody you hate, I doubt you'd get access to their tits or p****

If I ever have access to somebody's p**** and it's someone I hate, that person will end up with one less oil distributor.

And I'm not talking about the stream of tears that person would have from that moment on. :eek:

Ms. V, be glad you don't have a cat going through poison ivy. One swipe of "The Cat's Claw" and you would not only have the poison on you, but in you.

Make sure you give Lily cold water, instead of warm water, as well, to try and get some ivy off.

pseudobrit
May 20, 2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by type_r503
It doesn't really spread, it just appears that way. This is due the fact that different parts of your body react differently to the chemicals. Once you have cleaned all the chemicals away it is impossible to spread. "Getting" Poison Oak is similar to a chemical burn. The bubbles form as a way of protecting your body from the chemicals. Which is a little too late as you can tell. If you really want it to go away fast mix salt and talc with a little bit of water and apply to affected areas. This will dry them out and rid you of the symptoms. Using calimine is actually bad because it will add moisture to the area and make it last longer.

Exactly. It's an old wive's tale that scratching it will make it spread. That's impossible unless the poison were bacteria or a virus or fungus. It's an oil. Soap and water and rubbing alcohol if you have some will cleanse it. Make sure you also wash any clothes you were wearing, including shoes, because the poison will remain active for over a year. Your dog needs washed too, or when you pet her it will get back on you. The dog usually will be okay because of their hair.

Scratching is bad, but not because of any spreading. If it itches bad enough, try slapping at it.

You want the blisters to dry up. If it's particularly bad, you can go to your doctor and get some Predisone (oral steroid) to help.

I take it no one's had the pleasure of burn hazel yet? ;)

wdlove
May 20, 2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by vniow
If that's the case, then it would have gotton over pretty much every other part of my body since she sleeps in my bed every nite...

[b]

Lily.

Yep.

Better than creamy peanut butter?

I'm curious about the creamy pearnut butter vinow! Seems like it would be a little sticky! :p

MacFan25
May 20, 2003, 02:34 PM
I've had poison ivy a couple times. the last time i had it, the poison ivy somehow spread a little to my face, and i didnt want it to spread to my eyes or eyelids :eek:, so i went to my doctor and he gave me a prescription that cleared it up real fast. :)

wdlove
May 21, 2003, 04:14 PM
vinow you haven't posted for awhile is this thread! ;) Hope that you have fully recovered? We need you fit and trim, without you I'd be lost!

OutThere
May 21, 2003, 08:12 PM
there are a lot of 'methods' that people say work to get rid of it, but basically all that you can effectively do is wait, calamine lotion works well to soothe the itch, and shots probably speed up the healing to some extent (I wouldn't know, for the millions of times that I've had poison ivy i've never gotten a shot). Keep it open to the air and distract yourself from it, listen to music, do something fun to keep your mind off of the itch. Another thing that has helped me is this stuff called oak n ivy (I think thats what its called) and when you put it on it really soothes the itch-temporarily. Just like any itch it will eventually stop itching for a bit while you forget about it, until you brush up against it. Happy itching (but not scratching!)

pseudobrit
May 22, 2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by OutThere761
there are a lot of 'methods' that people say work to get rid of it, but basically all that you can effectively do is wait, calamine lotion works well to soothe the itch, and shots probably speed up the healing to some extent

Shots are usually steroids. They will help dry up the inflammation. It's actually just an allergic reaction, and corticosteroids block the swelling reaction of your immune system, the same way prednisone works for asthma.

Most humans have the allergy; a few do not, and don't have to worry about poison. I'm not allergic to one of them. I forgot which, so that fact doesn't really help me :p

I've had corticosteriod shots before. It really helped my hockey game that night; I had a sprained hip flexor that I'd been playing on for a few weeks (couldn't even get my left leg into a car under its own power) and didn't feel a thing. ;)

mactastic
May 22, 2003, 09:30 AM
I used to get this stuff really bad, I once had my whole face covered to the point that my eyes were swollen shut. Boy was school fun then. I used alcohol or white vinegar to dry it up. Hurts like hell, but nothing dried it up faster for me. Never tried the shots myself, something about them getting less effective each time you go that route. Any was you go the oak/ivy/sumac itch sucks! At least its on your hands so there is a good airflow going on around it. Getting it to dry out is the key.

mcrain
May 22, 2003, 09:36 AM
Well, all you have to do is eat a leaf of poison ivy/oak/sumac at the beginning of each year and once or twice more per year after that, and you will build up a tolerance for it.

;) :D ;) :D

wdlove
May 22, 2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by mcrain
Well, all you have to do is eat a leaf of poison ivy/oak/sumac at the beginning of each year and once or twice more per year after that, and you will build up a tolerance for it.

;) :D ;) :D

So I see it's the old build up tolerence theory! :p

King Cobra
May 22, 2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by mcrain

Well, Mr. Taxman, that theory should hold very well in front of your clients.

Then again, as you have in your signature: Fear the taxman. Now I finally understand. :D

Oh, wdlove, I don't think such a build up tolerance theory applies here. From what I've heard, the ultimate tolerance is trying to stay calm while your x- bitches with you on the phone for 10 minutes straight. :eek:

wdlove
May 23, 2003, 08:04 PM
Well, Mr. Taxman, that theory should hold very well in front of your clients.

Then again, as you have in your signature: Fear the taxman. Now I finally understand. :D

Oh, wdlove, I don't think such a build up tolerance theory applies here. From what I've heard, the ultimate tolerance is trying to stay calm while your x- bitches with you on the phone for 10 minutes straight. :eek:

I don't believe that I would stay on that long!