PDA

View Full Version : HELP G4 iBook 800mhz Ram issues URGENT!!

robPOD
Jan 22, 2007, 07:27 PM
Hi
Im looking at buying my first mac. I have found a g4 12' iBook 800mhz on the net in my cityfor the equivilent of US $209. The owner says every thing is in great condition apart from the onboard RAM. They say this causes the machine freeze , requiring restart to alleviate the freeze. Could this problem be fixed with a new stick of ram or not, becuase I know that ibooks have a 128mb of onboard ram is this replaceable? Any help is greatly appreciated. Is the g4 worth buying? Thanks :apple: :apple: :apple:

Rocketman
Jan 22, 2007, 07:37 PM
Hi
Im looking at buying my first mac. I have found a g4 12' iBook 800mhz on the net in my cityfor the equivilent of US $209. The owner says every thing is in great condition apart from the onboard RAM. They say this causes the machine freeze , requiring restart to alleviate the freeze. Could this problem be fixed with a new stick of ram or not, becuase I know that ibooks have a 128mb of onboard ram is this replaceable? Any help is greatly appreciated. Is the g4 worth buying? Thanks :apple: :apple: :apple:

I have an iBook G4 that has been essentially DOA (many quirks, pauses, issues) since day 1. Warranty work. Same thing. Indy dealer makeover. Same thing. I paid premium price for this thing ($1700) and it has been the least used Mac I have EVER owned.

It should be a candidate for the Macintosh hall of shame.

Just in case there is a happy tech person wiling to take my iBook G4 and try to save it, I welcome you. It even ate my Tiger CD!!

I'll pay shipping 2 ways and any reasobable costs.

Rocketman

4JNA
Jan 22, 2007, 10:03 PM
...I know that ibooks have a 128mb of onboard ram is this replaceable?

yes it's onboard, no it's not replaceable. depending on how geeky you feel, it is possible to disable the first chip in the bank which causes the ibook to not see the onboard memory any more, and would resolve the faulty memory issue. stick a large sodimm in the expansion slot, and off you go. not an easy repair, no i don't have a link for info on which traces to cut (3 if i remember right), and would not recommend this. look for a better/functional ibook, or buy this one and use it for parts to fix another. best of luck.

WildCowboy
Jan 22, 2007, 10:07 PM
Here (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=41228) is a thread on this...look near the bottom for the final solution. Not for the faint of heart.