PDA

View Full Version : Keynote 4 Preview? Core Animation?

MacRumors
Jan 23, 2007, 12:59 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Brian Peat of Keynoteuser (http://www.keynoteuser.com/news/?p=186) spent some time closely following Steve Jobs' version of the Apple Keynote presentation software (http://www.apple.com/iwork/keynote/) during his Macworld Expo Keynote speech and provides a detailed breakdown of possible new features for the next version of Keynote. Interesting potential features include:

- New transitions, possibly Core Animation dependent:
Seeing the new animation makes us think we might have to wait until Leopard ships (remember it’s got Core Animation) before we see a new version of Keynote.
- Path animation? Several examples of possible Path animation.

This has not been the first time that there have been suggestions that Apple's Keynote and iWork '07 applications may be dependent on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and specifically Core Animation.

Apple first announced Core Animation (http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/coreanimation.html) when they previewed Leopard at WWDC 2006:

Using Core Animation, Mac developers can create snazzy animations in their programs using different media types, such as text, 2D graphics, OpenGL renderings, and video, simultaneously. Core Animation dynamically renders these media layers together, complete with transparency effects and Core Image filter and effects. When content changes, Core Animation updates it, automatically.

Core Animation is also used on the Apple iPhone and has been rumored to be utilized in Apple's upcoming Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Finder, which has not yet been revealed. Indeed, Steve Jobs claimed (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060807232212.shtml) to be holding back several "Top Secret" features of Leopard when it was first previewed at WWDC 2006. Several developers have noted that Apple's Finder has been untouched in all of the public previews of Mac OS X Leopard, suggesting a more substantial refresh will be announced later.

DMann
Jan 23, 2007, 01:02 AM
Yay, Core Animation is what will take Leopard over the top.

koobcamuk
Jan 23, 2007, 01:03 AM
awesome, i love keynote.
????

iMacZealot
Jan 23, 2007, 01:07 AM
You know, I've never really used KeyNote that much, but I did notice that there was another monitor Steve was reading off of that had the next slide. I knew that in other Steve presentations that was never present.

I'll switch over from Office '04 if this version of iWork '07 is really stellar. As for iLife, I could probably care less unless if they spice up iPhoto a ton or put more royalty free backdrop music in GarageBand (use them for my FCE movies.)

Doctor Q
Jan 23, 2007, 01:11 AM
iLife '07 is also rumored to be tied to Leopard. So I expect to see the release of new applications in coordination with the Mac OS X 10.5 rollout.

mistuk
Jan 23, 2007, 01:14 AM
You know, I've never really used KeyNote that much, but I did notice that there was another monitor Steve was reading off of that had the next slide. I knew that in other Steve presentations that was never present.

Am I missing something.... Doesn't that feature exist today in Keynote 3 (the exisiting one) - I know it does because I use it myself....

If you go into preferences within Keynote, then click on 'Presenter Display', you can set up what you want to be shown on the second display.

There are some great things there (including the 'next slide' feature), but also a timer which can either be set to show elapsed time, or you can set it to show time remaining......

Have a look!

Kev

arn
Jan 23, 2007, 01:18 AM
Am I missing something.... Doesn't that feature exist today in Keynote 3 (the exisiting one) - I know it does because I use it myself....

If you go into preferences within Keynote, then click on 'Presenter Display', you can set up what you want to be shown on the second display.

You are correct

http://www.apple.com/iwork/keynote/features/presentertools.html

Story edited. You would think "Keynoteuser.com" would know... :)

arn

ahuman7341
Jan 23, 2007, 01:19 AM
Ive always been watnig some fancy motion grapics in keynote.Makes me glad to know its a possibliy.

dansgil
Jan 23, 2007, 01:20 AM
I wonder what the system requirements will be for Core Animation?

aafuss1
Jan 23, 2007, 01:23 AM
It'd be nice to see path animation in Keynote-as it's been doable in PowerPoint-like custom drawn motion paths.

dubby
Jan 23, 2007, 01:29 AM
You are correct

http://www.apple.com/iwork/keynote/features/presentertools.html

Story edited. You would think "Keynoteuser.com" would know... :)

arn

I think the author at keynoteuser.com is mistaken, but I also think he was implying there would be two reference monitors and the main slide, for a total of 3 displays... but the top monitor in the keynote is the same slide thats on the big screen, so i believe he's still mistaken.

frankie

swingerofbirch
Jan 23, 2007, 01:50 AM
I call BS. Steve Jobs is at least using Keynote 5, if not 6.

iAlan
Jan 23, 2007, 01:56 AM
This has not been the first time that there have been suggestions that Apple's Keynote and iWork '07 applications may be dependent on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and specifically Core Animation.

Will this mean that OSX 10.4 users will not get to use iWork '07 or iLife '07? or will there be two versions - one for each OSX?

Let's wait and see...

jacg
Jan 23, 2007, 02:07 AM
For those who saw the whole keynote, I liked the exploding text. Do people think that was a Keynote 4 realtime core animation effect or just a quicktime movie (which could be done with Keynote 3 today)?

There was some other stuff (like things rearranging around the screen) and I was thinking that would great if you could do that, but then I wondered if it was just an embedded movie too.

Seems to fit with the whole core animation concept so lets hope so. I use Keynote a lot so I'm anxious to get my hands on the next version.

justflie
Jan 23, 2007, 02:08 AM
Will this mean that OSX 10.4 users will not get to use iWork '07 or iLife '07? or will there be two versions - one for each OSX?

Let's wait and see...

I would just think that certain features would be disabled, much like how iChat AV's videochat only works for macs with certain specs.

mahonmeister
Jan 23, 2007, 02:09 AM
Sounds sweet. Can't wait to see all this in Spring.

DaveTheGrey
Jan 23, 2007, 02:35 AM

Let's wait and see...

I guess there is one version but some of the features/transition won't work or won't even be displayed in tiger.
Like the Dashboard water effect when you ad a new widget. In older macs (PowerBook G4 Titanium) this effect doesn't exsist.

Dave

Multimedia
Jan 23, 2007, 02:35 AM
Core Animation may also be a key component to advance all kinds of special effects in the next version of Final Cut Studio which will probably be revealed in Las Vegas at NAB April 16th. So the current target thinking for Leopard to ship is the following Friday April 27th. :)

chrismcdowell25
Jan 23, 2007, 02:47 AM
Core Animation may also be a key component to advance all kinds of special effects in the next version of Final Cut Studio which will probably be revealed in Las Vegas at NAB April 16th. So the current target thinking for Leopard to ship is the following Friday April 27th. :)

Off Topic I know...But your avatar picture totally looks like Bob Gunton From Shawshank redemption.

http://timmargh.net/images/2005/01/the_shawshank_redemption_3.jpg

Marx55
Jan 23, 2007, 03:02 AM
Oops! wrong thread! Sorry!

scotty321
Jan 23, 2007, 03:08 AM

This has always been a feature of Keynote, and a pretty awesome one at that.

jonharris200
Jan 23, 2007, 03:13 AM
One of the coolest applications ever.

jonharris200
Jan 23, 2007, 03:15 AM
...would just like to see possibility to export transitions and effects to Flash. Thanks :apple: !

wozzlewoozle
Jan 23, 2007, 05:47 AM
That sounds fantastic. I just hope that my 2 year old PB isn't considered an antique as far as core animation is concerned. Does anybody know what the minimum graphics requirement might be for 10.5 (well, core animation)?

Abstract
Jan 23, 2007, 06:03 AM
One of the coolest applications ever.

I'm sorry, but we may be getting a better version of FINDER!! Wow! Go :apple:!!

Hopefully this version will include some of the features that have been available in Pathfinder for the past few years. That drop stack thing is very useful.

backspinner
Jan 23, 2007, 07:10 AM

an iPhone at least :)

lazydog
Jan 23, 2007, 07:32 AM
Appologise if this has been commented on already but during SJ's keynote I was wondering what the lead coming out of the bottom of the iPhone was doing. Looked to me like the iPhone was putting out a live feed of it's display and this was being integrated into the presentation slides. Perhaps the iPhone, or even the next gen iPod, has the ability to act as a mobile Keynote player?

b e n

projectle
Jan 23, 2007, 07:35 AM
That was commented on by SJ durring the keynote.

He said that "This one has a special board in it to allow us to split the video out so that you all can see what is going on."

crees!
Jan 23, 2007, 07:38 AM
Now only if Finder would resemble this clip then I would be happy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DMCxRl0NzqM

lazydog
Jan 23, 2007, 07:39 AM

He said that "This one has a special board in it to allow us to split the video out so that you all can see what is going on."

Ah, thanks for putting me straight, I must have missed that bit. I feel like a right idiot!

b e n

Hattig
Jan 23, 2007, 07:44 AM

It's a fairly standard feature, I know certain Dell Axims (built around XScale processors) can output a VGA signal to a projector (as we have the PDA, project and cable, it it works very well). The question would be - is this a separate port to the standard iPod dock port, or is the dock port altered, or (as seems to be the case from your post) a custom docking port just for the demo that won't be on shipping iPhones.

New features are always good, and it is sensible of Apple to make use of features in their operating systems in order to differentiate their products. Keynote is already arguably the best presentation software, and this will cement its lead.

bryanc
Jan 23, 2007, 08:02 AM

There are some great things there (including the 'next slide' feature), but also a timer which can either be set to show elapsed time, or you can set it to show time remaining......

Yes, the presenter display is one of my favorite features of Keynote, and I use it all the time. My presenter's display shows me the what is currently being displayed, what will be displayed on the next click, a timer showing how long I've been talking and a clock showing the current time, and most importantly my speaking notes, which I usually color code and put various important things in big fonts. I couldn't function without 'presenter display.'

Of course, I'm told that the latest version of PowerPoint has a similar feature as well, but I'm really looking forward to Keynote really leaving PP in the dust with this revision.

I'm hoping that Keynote '07 will have several new features:
1) lots of new transitions, character effects, etc.
2) path animation for objects based on CoreAnimation, which would allow these to be 3D paths, so that objects could be moved off of the plane of the slide, and they would cast shadows on the slide as they move.
3) better flash and quicktime handling (why can I play QTVR movies in PowerPoint, but can't in Keynote?!?!?)
4) integration with iChat AV, so that we'll be able to give Keynote presentations remotely, and be able to interact with the audience through an iSight equipped Mac at the receiving end.
5) integrated enhanced podcasting (a la ProfCast) so that presentations will be easy to record, complete with visuals.
6) at least one idea that I haven't thought of that will make me say 'wow'

Cheers

abrooks
Jan 23, 2007, 08:24 AM

On that note, slightly off topic I know, but does anyone know how to integrate a live feed like that into Keynote and more importantly how the hell the on-screen display twisted when he twisted the iPhones orientation. I've come to some conclusion that it was a little application or something, everytime Steve went to demo they switched the feed to the projector and began displaying this application.

abrooks
Jan 23, 2007, 08:27 AM
3) better flash and quicktime handling (why can I play QTVR movies in PowerPoint, but can't in Keynote?!?!?)
4) integration with iChat AV, so that we'll be able to give Keynote presentations remotely, and be able to interact with the audience through an iSight equipped Mac at the receiving end.

3) I do it all the time, seems to work fine.

4) It's coming in Leopard. (Link (http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/ichat.html))

RichP
Jan 23, 2007, 08:28 AM
Hmm...

Dear Steve,
I have a major presentation for my graduate thesis on April 27, 2007. Please release Keynote 4 and Leopard at least two weeks before that date.

Thank You!

Sincerely,
Rich

bryanc
Jan 23, 2007, 08:32 AM
3) I do it all the time, seems to work fine.

Do you use QTVR movies in Keynote? How? I've had no luck with the VR files at all.

I get the impression that QTVR is a technology that Apple is leaving to die.

Cheers

applelabs
Jan 23, 2007, 08:34 AM
I can't wait until Motion 3 is released. With Core Animation, they could make a consumer version of Motion.

Now only if Finder would resemble this clip then I would be happy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DMCxRl0NzqM
That's kinda neat. But I hope Apple does something nicer than tabs.

Keynoteuser
Jan 23, 2007, 08:40 AM
For those of you wondering if I got my facts wrong on the extra screens Steve uses...Keynote 3 cannot currently run TWO preview screens the way Steve did it. He's got one big screen running the Current slide, and one smaller screen running the Next slide. You can do this on one SINGLE screen now, but nothing like Steve is doing.

Though I've never tried hooking a 3rd screen to my tower, my guess is Keynote will ignore it as others havae tried doing that in the past. The best solution could be using a Matrox device that acts as one BIG screen but uses two monitors. YOu could then customize the presenter screen to put one slide on each monitor (theoretically), though the monitor would HAVE to be the same size, or at the least the same resolution.

EDIT: Someone posted comments on my site under the story that you COULD split the main signal for the big monitor and use your presenter view for the NEXT slide only, which I suppose would work (I'll see if I can correct the story today)

Hopefully that clears things up.

BenRoethig
Jan 23, 2007, 08:44 AM

Probably still less than vista.

abrooks
Jan 23, 2007, 09:00 AM
Do you use QTVR movies in Keynote? How? I've had no luck with the VR files at all.

Cheers

Argh crap, my bad! Had a dyslexic moment and completely missed your VR, once again my apologies, I will go hang my head in shame. :o

twoodcc
Jan 23, 2007, 10:18 AM
Yay, Core Animation is what will take Leopard over the top.

i'm hoping so! looking forward to Leopard, ilife 07, and iwork 07 !

shawnce
Jan 23, 2007, 11:06 AM
Probably still less than vista.

Likely works best with multi-core systems (2 or more) that fully support Core Image.

macnews
Jan 23, 2007, 12:14 PM
It'd be nice to see path animation in Keynote-as it's been doable in PowerPoint-like custom drawn motion paths.

Powerpoint may have that feature but I find Keynote much nicer to use.

htdub
Jan 25, 2007, 11:42 AM
Refresh is due.

I use keynote on a regular basis (sad to admit) but i'm glad i'm not using powerpoint on a regular basis.

Some great features I would like apple to add.

a) Proper importing of Excel charts (formulas) would be big. Powerpoint treats excel docs like smart objects, and it's nice to have things like smart objects. Re-doing formula's in keynote sucks.
b) ichat live presentation would be great
c) Collab features would also be great, over bonjour perhaps

The effects aren't such a killer feature for me or my team.

t^3
Jan 25, 2007, 11:30 PM
That sounds fantastic. I just hope that my 2 year old PB isn't considered an antique as far as core animation is concerned. Does anybody know what the minimum graphics requirement might be for 10.5 (well, core animation)?

According to Apple, anything that can do Core Image can do Core Animation. See http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/coreanimation.html and http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/

Hmm...

Dear Steve,
I have a major presentation for my graduate thesis on April 27, 2007. Please release Keynote 4 and Leopard at least two weeks before that date.

Thank You!

Sincerely,
Rich

I've got an undergrad thesis presentation next month, so I'll probably be out of luck, but I'm betting we won't see Leopard until later in the spring, given it's current development status. I'll also pass along something my advisor mentioned to me: too much 'flashiness' in your presentations can be distracting. Sure it looks cool, but people will be focused on your neat transitions and effects rather than your topic. Granted, some effects can be useful. I could imagine path animation being really useful in my subject area of biochemistry, but a majority of the effects in PowerPoint and Keynote should really be avoided in serious academic presentations.

All that said, I'm with those who believe that Leopard won't really be required for iLife '07/iWork '07. It'll just be recommended. Apple would lose a lot of sales if they shut out all those Tiger (maybe even Panther) users who don't want to upgrade to Leopard.

A really long shot is that iLife '07 might be included with Leopard. This could explain the iLife/iWork delay, but then, I'm just speculating.

Apple Corps
Jan 26, 2007, 12:12 AM

Cheers

Yes I use QTVR in my KN presentations - what problems are you having?

Keynoteuser
Jan 26, 2007, 07:40 AM
You might be placing a VR video on your slide, but try navigating it (or a flash movie) and you'll see it's pretty useless. The only VR movies that seem to work are the auto panning versions.