Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Brian Peat of Keynoteuser spent some time closely following Steve Jobs' version of the Apple Keynote presentation software during his Macworld Expo Keynote speech and provides a detailed breakdown of possible new features for the next version of Keynote. Interesting potential features include:

- New transitions, possibly Core Animation dependent:
Seeing the new animation makes us think we might have to wait until Leopard ships (remember it’s got Core Animation) before we see a new version of Keynote.
- Path animation? Several examples of possible Path animation.

This has not been the first time that there have been suggestions that Apple's Keynote and iWork '07 applications may be dependent on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and specifically Core Animation.

Apple first announced Core Animation when they previewed Leopard at WWDC 2006:

Using Core Animation, Mac developers can create snazzy animations in their programs using different media types, such as text, 2D graphics, OpenGL renderings, and video, simultaneously. Core Animation dynamically renders these media layers together, complete with transparency effects and Core Image filter and effects. When content changes, Core Animation updates it, automatically.

Core Animation is also used on the Apple iPhone and has been rumored to be utilized in Apple's upcoming Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Finder, which has not yet been revealed. Indeed, Steve Jobs claimed to be holding back several "Top Secret" features of Leopard when it was first previewed at WWDC 2006. Several developers have noted that Apple's Finder has been untouched in all of the public previews of Mac OS X Leopard, suggesting a more substantial refresh will be announced later.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
You know, I've never really used KeyNote that much, but I did notice that there was another monitor Steve was reading off of that had the next slide. I knew that in other Steve presentations that was never present.

I'll switch over from Office '04 if this version of iWork '07 is really stellar. As for iLife, I could probably care less unless if they spice up iPhoto a ton or put more royalty free backdrop music in GarageBand (use them for my FCE movies.)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
iLife '07 is also rumored to be tied to Leopard. So I expect to see the release of new applications in coordination with the Mac OS X 10.5 rollout.

mistuk

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2004
Amesbury, UK
You know, I've never really used KeyNote that much, but I did notice that there was another monitor Steve was reading off of that had the next slide. I knew that in other Steve presentations that was never present.

Am I missing something.... Doesn't that feature exist today in Keynote 3 (the exisiting one) - I know it does because I use it myself....

If you go into preferences within Keynote, then click on 'Presenter Display', you can set up what you want to be shown on the second display.

There are some great things there (including the 'next slide' feature), but also a timer which can either be set to show elapsed time, or you can set it to show time remaining......

Have a look!

Kev

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

dubby

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2007
You are correct

http://www.apple.com/iwork/keynote/features/presentertools.html

Story edited. You would think "Keynoteuser.com" would know... :)

arn

I think the author at keynoteuser.com is mistaken, but I also think he was implying there would be two reference monitors and the main slide, for a total of 3 displays... but the top monitor in the keynote is the same slide thats on the big screen, so i believe he's still mistaken.

frankie

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
This has not been the first time that there have been suggestions that Apple's Keynote and iWork '07 applications may be dependent on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and specifically Core Animation.

Will this mean that OSX 10.4 users will not get to use iWork '07 or iLife '07? or will there be two versions - one for each OSX?

Let's wait and see...

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
For those who saw the whole keynote, I liked the exploding text. Do people think that was a Keynote 4 realtime core animation effect or just a quicktime movie (which could be done with Keynote 3 today)?

There was some other stuff (like things rearranging around the screen) and I was thinking that would great if you could do that, but then I wondered if it was just an embedded movie too.

Seems to fit with the whole core animation concept so lets hope so. I use Keynote a lot so I'm anxious to get my hands on the next version.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Will this mean that OSX 10.4 users will not get to use iWork '07 or iLife '07? or will there be two versions - one for each OSX?

Let's wait and see...

I would just think that certain features would be disabled, much like how iChat AV's videochat only works for macs with certain specs.

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003

Let's wait and see...

I guess there is one version but some of the features/transition won't work or won't even be displayed in tiger.
Like the Dashboard water effect when you ad a new widget. In older macs (PowerBook G4 Titanium) this effect doesn't exsist.

Dave

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Core Animation May Also Impact Final Cut Studio 6

Core Animation may also be a key component to advance all kinds of special effects in the next version of Final Cut Studio which will probably be revealed in Las Vegas at NAB April 16th. So the current target thinking for Leopard to ship is the following Friday April 27th. :)

chrismcdowell25

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2004
Off Topic

Core Animation may also be a key component to advance all kinds of special effects in the next version of Final Cut Studio which will probably be revealed in Las Vegas at NAB April 16th. So the current target thinking for Leopard to ship is the following Friday April 27th. :)

Off Topic I know...But your avatar picture totally looks like Bob Gunton From Shawshank redemption.

the_shawshank_redemption_3.jpg

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003

This has always been a feature of Keynote, and a pretty awesome one at that.

wozzlewoozle

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2005
sarkoland
That sounds fantastic. I just hope that my 2 year old PB isn't considered an antique as far as core animation is concerned. Does anybody know what the minimum graphics requirement might be for 10.5 (well, core animation)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.