PDA

View Full Version : Clamshell ibook help

Mavimao
Jan 23, 2007, 07:16 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a 366 G3 graphite iBook that was working fine in OS9 a few months ago. I took it out of the closet yesterday and installed 10.3. I did all the updates etc etc, and now the computer will not recognize the battery! There is a battery icon on top, but when the light is amber on the machine (charging) it says it is calculating how long it will take to charge. Once the light is green (charged) it says there is no battery. I take out the plug and the machine turns off. On top of that, the clock has to be reset everytime I unplug the machine. I don't get it, the battery was like new back in September - it would go for hours. Now it's like it's not even there!

HowEver
Jan 23, 2007, 10:27 AM
This is the nature of batteries: if you don't charge them once in a while, they die.

You say the battery was "like new back in September." Leave any battery alone for months, this can happen. Leave a sensitive computer battery that may have been new to you but very old before alone for months, and this will likely happen.

If though you bought in new in September and it's died since, you may have warranty coverage, no?

If you didn't buy it "new," or it just seemed new in September, you are out of luck. You may also have a PRAM battery issue with the clock needing to be reset also.

Your choice now is to get your battery re-celled or buy a replacement battery: either new, for half what your computer may be worth; or used and risk the same problems again.

Hello everyone,

I have a 366 G3 graphite iBook that was working fine in OS9 a few months ago. I took it out of the closet yesterday and installed 10.3. I did all the updates etc etc, and now the computer will not recognize the battery! There is a battery icon on top, but when the light is amber on the machine (charging) it says it is calculating how long it will take to charge. Once the light is green (charged) it says there is no battery. I take out the plug and the machine turns off. On top of that, the clock has to be reset everytime I unplug the machine. I don't get it, the battery was like new back in September - it would go for hours. Now it's like it's not even there!

rjphoto
Jan 23, 2007, 11:23 AM
I have the same battery problem on my 12" G4. If the battery drains completely I loose the clock setting.

You battery may have just died from lack of use or old age.

I have a 15" G4 that will not hold a charge for more than a couple of minutes unplugged and open, but will maintain in sleep for sometime...however now it stays plugged in all of the time unless I'm moving it around the house.

You may just need to get a new battery.

Mavimao
Jan 23, 2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I will keep trying to get it to charge (there's always those online voodoo stories you hear of people getting their batteries to work), but if it's dead, I will get a new one. There are some nice prices on Ebay. I will try that.

easarcher
Jan 30, 2008, 10:14 PM
I just finished rebuilding a clamshell that someone had spilled soda on. I got a new motherboard, installed it, replaced all of the shorted out parts, and installed the operating system this afternoon. Lo and behold, the thing ran, but i did notice an annoying problem: The period key does not work at all. I was wondering if there is a problem i can fix here, or if i jut need to buy myself a new keyboard.

rjphoto
Jan 31, 2008, 09:41 AM
I just finished rebuilding a clamshell that someone had spilled soda on. I got a new motherboard, installed it, replaced all of the shorted out parts, and installed the operating system this afternoon. Lo and behold, the thing ran, but i did notice an annoying problem: The period key does not work at all. I was wondering if there is a problem i can fix here, or if i jut need to buy myself a new keyboard.

just for kicks, if you have a USB keyboard give it a try, but I don't see why you can't just get a new keyboard. You've done so much already, that shouldn't be too hard...

easarcher
Feb 2, 2008, 10:10 PM
I think i will just buy another keyboard, the only problem is, they're so expensive... most places other than ebay want over $100 for one, and ebay hardly ever has any. If anyone knows of a good place to get a new clamshell keyboard and maybe an airport card for a decent price, please, share the knowledge.