PDA

View Full Version : 20th Anniversary Cube?

jholzner
May 18, 2003, 08:57 PM
http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/archives/000067.php

King Cobra
May 18, 2003, 09:04 PM
The Twentieth Aniversary Mac was already released. It was tall, had an 800 x 600 monitor, flat, and cost $10000.

A 25th Aniv. would be more likely to occur sometime in the future.

CMillerERAU
May 18, 2003, 09:15 PM
The original 20th Aniversary Mac was to commemorate the birth of Apple, not the Mac I believe. This new 20th Ann. would be for the macintosh itself. I personally would like to see it in a cube enclosure but using black pastics to make it distinctive and follow the original 20th Anniversary Mac.

saint
May 18, 2003, 09:27 PM
The 20th anniversary mac was to commemmorate 20 years since the birth of Apple. It was released in 1997. The time for a 25th anniversary mac has now come and gone.

This article is talking about something to commemmorate 20 years since the birth of the Macintosh. This would be due in early 2004.

As for the article, The only information they have is somebody claims that Apple has asked for some plastic enclosures similar to the Cube shells. I think it is unlikely that Apple will have a special mac to commemmorate 1984 - 2004, because lots of people will be saying
"hey, didn't they do that about 6 years ago?"

And they certainly couldn't call it the 20th Anniversary Macintosh.

vollspacken
May 18, 2003, 09:43 PM
hey, why not?

I think it would be a nice way to either bring the cube back or to produce a "classic/se30/plus"-like mac in a cube form factor... maybe with the 12" lcd from the iBook :)

put in an 1+ Ghz gobi G3 and out comes a nice and stylish word processor/internet machine or home network server... small, sexy, fanless and cheap

price it at $999,- and I would buy one...

hmmm, won't happen but I can dream ;)

vSpacken

MacRumors
May 19, 2003, 02:10 AM
MacWhispers believes (http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/archives/000067.php) that there will be a surprise product celebrating the Mac's 20th anniverary.

Based on information they have received, they believe the limited edition mac may be a variant of the Cube form factor.

adamcoop
May 19, 2003, 02:30 AM
If that's true - I'll so be there in line for one (I'm still kicking myself for selling my cube.)

Zenith
May 19, 2003, 02:48 AM
I'm also regret selling mine... I only had it for two months when I sold it for 50$ less than I bought it for, and then bought a QS 733 without L3 cache. It wasn't much faster really... A 20th anniversary Cube would've been great! With 970... ;)

MacBandit
May 19, 2003, 02:50 AM
If they price it right (this time) I too will be there to get one even though I have absolutely no need for one.

the future
May 19, 2003, 03:29 AM
EVERYBODY needs a Cube...

Bengt77
May 19, 2003, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by the future
EVERYBODY needs a Cube...

I guess I'll second that. Don't have one myself, since I found it to be too expensive. And when they lowered the price, they were soo behind the specs of the Power Macs and even of the iMacs that I went for the latter. The form factor is still the best, though. I really would love to own one, especially with a Radeon 9700 or 9800 Pro and a PPC970.

Schweet!

:D

MacFan25
May 19, 2003, 05:58 AM
If there is one, hopefully it wont cost too much. That would be great if it's like the cube. :D

iGav
May 19, 2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by MacFan25
If there is one, hopefully it wont cost too much. That would be great if it's like the cube. :D

Are you kidding....?? it'll have a hefty price tagged slapped on it, exactly like the 20th Anniversary Mac did when it was announced!!

I'd hope to see something alittle more innovative than the Cube... maybe following the all in one factor of the previous special edition.... but pushing design to the limits....

Whatever it turns out to be.... cheapness isn't going to be in the equation!

sparks9
May 19, 2003, 06:20 AM
BS!! Macwhispers is always wrong! :D :D

5300cs
May 19, 2003, 07:10 AM
Apple's 30th Anniversary will be coming in a few years, they could call it the 30th Anniversary Mac .. but then it would still be the "TAM".

And the iMac was supposed to "commemorate" the original Macintosh by using the same all-in-one concept, wasn't it?

I'm looking forward to a 30th Anniversary Mac .. if they ever make one...

Sol
May 19, 2003, 07:11 AM
The Cube was a great product but the price should have been lower than the price of an iMac (today it should be lower than the price of an eMac). I am sure the 20th Anniversary Mac will be even less value for money than the original Cube. The last Anniversary Mac was simply a collectable and by the sound of it so is this.

Mr. Anderson
May 19, 2003, 07:54 AM
If they release a G4 20th Anniversary Cube and there are 970s out in the PowerMac line I'd consider that a huge mistake. Giving it a 970 would actually make it a much better machine that would have a little life in it, not something that would have appeal for a short time and then be totally obsolete.

I wouldn't mind having one, but there wouldn't be a reason to pay extra for a machine that's already going to be pricey....

I'd love to see one come out, though.

D

the future
May 19, 2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I wouldn't mind having one, but there wouldn't be a reason to pay extra for a machine that's already going to be pricey....

IF a new Cube will come and IF it will have a PPC 970 (like the Power Macs will have by then, or so we all assume) then there MIGHT be a VERY GOOD REASON to pay a little extra: IF the new Cube is still FAN-LESS.

And yes, the original Cube was too expensive when it came out first, but after they adjusted the price several months later it wasn't anymore. Too little, too late, though, for most people at the time.

Dunepilot
May 19, 2003, 08:28 AM
It's true, the original anniversary mac was waaaaay over-priced, but if they could somehow shoe-horn a fast G4 into a cube enclosure (really not too convinced if this would be possible whilst staying fanless), the music industry would lap them up with the current crop of excellent firewire sound solutions negating the need for PCI in many configurations.

Cube without fan + Digi002. Yes please;)

kettle
May 19, 2003, 08:39 AM
Wouldn't a 20th Anniversary Cube have to be released 20 years after the first cube.

Wouldn't a 25th Anniversary Macintosh be better? If that hasn't gone already?
:confused:

rjwill246
May 19, 2003, 09:12 AM
I just replaced the G4 450Mhz chip with a 1Gig from Powerlogix and with 1gig of memory: this Cube has a lot of life left in it and it is highly visible at work. I can't tell you how many people stop and ask if THAT is a computer and after they had a good look and said Wow! a few times, the usual comment is "I wish they had one for Windows!" Oh well!

dongmin
May 19, 2003, 10:52 AM
Maybe it'll be the 4th Anniversary Power Mac Cube to celebrate the 4th anniversary of the Power Mac Cube!!!

Dunepilot
May 19, 2003, 11:44 AM
nOriginally posted by rjwill246
I just replaced the G4 450Mhz chip with a 1Gig from Powerlogix and with 1gig of memory: this Cube has a lot of life left in it and it is highly visible at work. I can't tell you how many people stop and ask if THAT is a computer and after they had a good look and said Wow! a few times, the usual comment is "I wish they had one for Windows!" Oh well!
I'm assuming that the Powerlogix upgrade included a fan? Did it add to the noise generated by the cube by a noticeable amount?

Sun Baked
May 19, 2003, 11:49 AM
It would be interesting if they simply called it the NeXT Cube, and dumped any ideas of anniversary naming schemes. ;)

Simple, cool, and quiet...

MacBandit
May 19, 2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by iGAV
Are you kidding....?? it'll have a hefty price tagged slapped on it, exactly like the 20th Anniversary Mac did when it was announced!!

I'd hope to see something alittle more innovative than the Cube... maybe following the all in one factor of the previous special edition.... but pushing design to the limits....

Whatever it turns out to be.... cheapness isn't going to be in the equation!

I sure hope they don't but I can certainly see you're point.

$10,000 any one?

2COOL4SCHOOL
May 19, 2003, 12:50 PM
It is probably IBM going to make a computer like the Nintendo Game cube that uses the power pc.

evilfunkgenius
May 19, 2003, 01:09 PM
My sources tell me not to purchase an iMac yet because something exciting will be announced in the next couple of months (possibly with more external metal parts). This rumor fits in with their comments, and by expanding on that I could see an anniversary Macintosh announced at the WWDC along with Panther (and hopefully a new tower?) or at MacWorld NY.

Here's hoping for a raging Macintosh summer, full of announcements.

Doctor Q
May 19, 2003, 01:15 PM
Apple has made rectangular computers. They have made cubes. They have made hemispheres. I say it's time for a fully spherical Mac, and an anniversary celebration would be the ideal time for it. I'm sure we're all ready to buy a $10,000 Mac Sphere.

MacBandit
May 19, 2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Apple has made rectangular computers. They have made cubes. They have made hemispheres. I say it's time for a fully spherical Mac, and an anniversary celebration would be the ideal time for it. I'm sure we're all ready to buy a $10,000 Mac Sphere.

Just what I need a $10,000 computer that can roll off the desk to it's death.

Are you sure that we aren't talking about a Microsoft design?:p :D

Doctor Q
May 19, 2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Just what I need a $10,000 computer that can roll off the desk to it's death.Apple will offer the Mac Sphere with detachable lucite support legs. Third parties will offer other methods of support, plain (http://www.giftcorp.com/nautical/globe_stand.jpg), fancy (http://www.achla.com/images/lawn_n_garden/small/gb10.gif), or artistic (http://www.bloomintreasures.com/shoppics/Statues/Globe%20Stand.jpg), plus various kits for hanging or ceiling mounts. And a furniture company will make a transparent desk with a circular depression designed to fit the Mac Sphere exactly.

Best of all, you can apply skins to your Mac Sphere to make it look like the Earth, a basketball, Charlie Brown's head, or anything else round.

macdong
May 19, 2003, 02:14 PM
I sure hope they don't but I can certainly see you're point.

$10,000 any one?

I'll sell my car to buy one!!!

wait, my car ain't worth tnat much...

Oh, I'll sell my house for it!!!

hmm, I ain't got a house yet...

I'll find a job to buy it!!!

ah, who am I kidding...
back to sleep...

noel4r
May 19, 2003, 06:13 PM
I'd love a Cube, but it aint gonna happen folks....

Dont Hurt Me
May 19, 2003, 06:42 PM
I wanted a cube but they discontinued them and ended up with a 733, would love a cube with kickbutt video card and a 1.8 970. Lets just hope they dont play marketing games this time around. ( we all know it was the g4 stagnation and marketing that screwed the cube the first time) The g4 never went anywhere. But then again the metalmac or rather powermac970 does/will have unlimited expansion.

macboy
May 19, 2003, 07:00 PM
i've heard a few times that something big is coming for 2004... that is why Apple has taken another commercial during the SuperBowl

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=21969&highlight=superbowl

Sol
May 19, 2003, 09:15 PM
Has anyone read The Second Coming Of Steve Jobs? In that book there is a funny story about a prototype computer design shaped liked a human head. Steve Jobs' reported response: "I flew all the way to London for that?!" If ever there was a time for a head-shaped computer now is it. Better yet, how about a computer named HAL that calls everyone Dave?

etoiles
May 19, 2003, 11:34 PM
Just what I need a $10,000 computer that can roll off the desk to it's death.

Are you sure that we aren't talking about a Microsoft design?:p :D

no, no, it is going to have all chrome ehrm... facets and it is going to hang from the ceiling.

Disco is back in style, baby !

MacBandit
May 20, 2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Apple will offer the Mac Sphere with detachable lucite support legs. Third parties will offer other methods of support, plain (http://www.giftcorp.com/nautical/globe_stand.jpg), fancy (http://www.achla.com/images/lawn_n_garden/small/gb10.gif), or artistic (http://www.bloomintreasures.com/shoppics/Statues/Globe%20Stand.jpg), plus various kits for hanging or ceiling mounts. And a furniture company will make a transparent desk with a circular depression designed to fit the Mac Sphere exactly.

Best of all, you can apply skins to your Mac Sphere to make it look like the Earth, a basketball, Charlie Brown's head, or anything else round.

The best part about it is when your buddy beats you at UT on the Lan you can bludgeon him to death by swinging the sphere on the end of a security cable. Also can be used to literally knock some sense into the Microsoft die hards.

I can see it now. The new iFlail from Apple. If you can't joint them BEAT them. Mug Differently

Then there's the Ellen Fiess version. I uh well uh it woosh woosh thud crunch and I was like uh what? What was my line??

cubist
May 20, 2003, 08:02 PM
Come on, you all are not taking this seriously.

Apple Computer announces the Power Mac 970 iCosahedron. With twenty triangular facets made of polished aquamarine imported from Minas Gerais, Brazil, the iCosahedron is a gem of a computer. Its power switch responds to the wave of a hand (replacement gaskets are available), and its sound system is connected via Bluetooth (and it is the only Apple model which will ever use this mechanism). The external power supply, which looks like a Chevy small-block V8 engine, is easy to locate on the floor or behind a desk.

Pay no attention to those allegations of cracks. Those are naturally occurring imperfections in the aquamarine which give it its character.

Makosuke
May 20, 2003, 08:16 PM
I have my doubts, but Steve did imply when they cancelled the cube that they might try to bring it back someday. With all the clamor for a headless iMac, maybe something along those lines is in the cards for a Next Big Thing.

I did find the original TAM exceedingly amusing; the contrast between it and the original iMac pretty much showed why Steve was a heckuva lot better person to run Apple than everybody's favorite "No, really, I saved Apple" punching bag:

May 1997, Apple produces a machine in celebration of their 20th anniversary. It harkens back to the original Macintosh (all in one), but with a modern flair and elegant design. It costs $10,000, so unlike the original Mac (the computer for the rest of us) no one can possibly afford one, although they look cool.

Almost exactly one year later, with Steve at the helm, Apple announces the iMac. It harkens back to the original Macintosh, but with a modern flar and pleasing design (that incidentally radically changed consumer design in everything from vaccums to clocks). It costs $1300, so like the original Mac, anyone can afford one.

Note the difference--one seems right but makes a mockery of the concept of the original, while the other is EXACTLY what the TAM was intended to be. And, of course, we have the new iMac now which is a step and a half cooler than the TAM, but is actually affordable.

By the way, does anybody remember the clearance sales on the TAM after the first G3s came out? My school was selling them for a bit over $2K, if memory serves, which was pretty tempting just for the cool factor.

macnews
May 21, 2003, 08:53 AM
Wished I would have bought a cube before...
Wished the price wouldn't have been SOOOOO wrong....
Wish they will have the 970....
Wish they will bring a cube back....

Too much wishing...

In reality, a cube would be nice but wouldn't that go against Steve's reasoning for the newer imacs? Remember the "we wanted to give each component the respect they deserve" speach? That is why the hemishpere design so the hard drive and dvd/cd could work at their best - horizontally not vertically? The cube has a vertically mounted cd and HD I believe. So which way is right? I would still love a cube but I think there are more important issues Apple has to tackle before worrying about another cube.

daRAT
May 25, 2003, 07:44 AM
With Powerlogic and Sonnet pumping out faster and faster cpu's I could see a Cube special edition. Apple could just buy the cpu's from either of those companies, upgrade the agp to 8x and stuff a ATI or Nivida card in there.

I have a Cube, bought it within weeks of the first ones to come out and have never regretted it. It was my first mac and looks sweet with my new 20" lcd *grin*.

As for the fan in the upgrades, reports are thet it is quiet, while some noise it is not anywhere near the noise of a eMac or new Tower.

Wardofsky
May 30, 2003, 06:01 AM
The Cube failed because only the truly Mac'd people would buy a cube and a screen seperately for that much money.

Apple is reeling in the PC users with all their new stuff.

Eniregnat
May 30, 2003, 12:07 PM
MacWhispers (http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/archives/000067.php)
That Apple has recently submitted a request for quote to this firm for an only slightly modified version of the G4 Cube's clear outer shell.

The modification was mostly with the scale. It's 100th the volume of the original, is portable, and is a key chain.

MacBandit
May 30, 2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Wardofsky
The Cube failed because only the truly Mac'd people would buy a cube and a screen seperately for that much money.

Apple is reeling in the PC users with all their new stuff.

Exactly. The hole point of having a headless compact desktop is it should be cheaper. It's not like it's highly upgradeable or anything. That is why I truly wish Apple would bring back the LC series. They were fantastic for those that don't need upgradeability and the price that goes with it and already have a good monitor.