Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

val

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2003
Hi there

I'm a proud owner of a new 12" Powerbook, but the salesperson didn't advise me that this machine does not come with Mac OS 9.x; and that it can't be installed on my computer.

I've been working on a rather old mac, so am not too familar with Mac OS X and Classic and would appreciate any advice that anyone has on:

• I've got loads of software for Mac OS 9.x - Can I use this software in Classic?
• Is there anyway I can install Mac OS 9.x on my powerbook (and use it like how the older powerbooks do)
• Do all applications work in Classic? Has anyone had any problems with the following applications:
– Freehand 9
– Quark 4.1/or any other versions
– Photoshop 6.0
– Indesign 1.5
–Illustrator 10
– Acrobat 4

Thanks for your help!

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Re: Powerbooks which only boot in Mac OS X

Originally posted by val
Hi there

I'm a proud owner of a new 12" Powerbook, but the salesperson didn't advise me that this machine does not come with Mac OS 9.x; and that it can't be installed on my computer.

I've been working on a rather old mac, so am not too familar with Mac OS X and Classic and would appreciate any advice that anyone has on:

? I've got loads of software for Mac OS 9.x - Can I use this software in Classic?
? Is there anyway I can install Mac OS 9.x on my powerbook (and use it like how the older powerbooks do)
? Do all applications work in Classic? Has anyone had any problems with the following applications:
? Freehand 9
? Quark 4.1/or any other versions
? Photoshop 6.0
? Indesign 1.5
?Illustrator 10
? Acrobat 4

Thanks for your help!

? you can use them fine in Classic.

? Nope.

? All should work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.