Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frozenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
It is beyond me how iSync will synchronize with a P800, while Address Book bluetooth features still don't function correctly with it.

frozenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Originally posted by Nutzoids
:( One day maybe Bluetooth will come to my Nextel...Maybe one day?

I realize this is off topic, but I feel compelled to ask... How do expect bluetooth to be integrated into a phone that is already in production?

Shaktai

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
Puget Sound
Originally posted by Nutzoids
:( One day maybe Bluetooth will come to my Nextel...Maybe one day?

Remember that your Nextel is a Motorola. Knowing Motorola they will continue to be behind the curve on this. Nextel needs an alternative supplier, but hasn't had much luck finding one yet, due to the unique nature of their technology. Supposedly Motorola is supposed to bring out a "blue tooth" compatible phone for Nextel, but no-one is holding their breath.

Shaktai

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
Puget Sound
Originally posted by frozenstar
I realize this is off topic, but I feel compelled to ask... How do expect bluetooth to be integrated into a phone that is already in production?

It won't be without a model redesign. Bluetooth will only be useful with models recently released with that capability or future models. You will have to upgrade if your current unit doesn't have the capability and yes that usually means higher prices or extended service agreements.

Back on topic, it is good that Apple is attempting to stay on the leading curve of these technologies. Having compatible software, even if they have to write it themselves, is crucial to any future expansion of market. I know people, who no matter how good a technology is, won't change unless it supports their particular need. And for a lot of the folks I know, that includes compatibility with Cellular technologies.

frozenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Originally posted by Shaktai
It won't be without a model redesign. Bluetooth will only be useful with models recently released with that capability or future models. You will have to upgrade if your current unit doesn't have the capability and yes that usually means higher prices or extended service agreements.

I know that, thank you. The question was directed at the original poster, in order to clarify a misconception that he/she held.

E

evilfunkgenius

I really am still holding my breath for iSync connectivity with USB connectors like my Kyocera 2235. Since most manufacturers don't provide Macintosh support for their phones (evn though they make cables) I see iSync as a viable solution to provide connectivity.

In addition, when iSync was first launched (beta) they included the Kyocera 2235 in the list of phones you could choose from when providing feedback. And while I know that I am a minority in using this phone, it would give me hope to see USB support included in an update.

KevinHoctor

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2001
The Woodlands, TX
I don't care about Bluetooth any more (or at least for now since Sprint PCS is not going to ship a phone supporting it any time soon), but I do want to sync with my new Sanyo 8100!

I just want to have a common address book...I'll deal with plugging in the phone (I have to anyway for charging so no big whoop <g>).

Cheers!

Kevin Hoctor

frozenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Originally posted by KevinHoctor
I don't care about Bluetooth any more (or at least for now since Sprint PCS is not going to ship a phone supporting it any time soon), but I do want to sync with my new Sanyo 8100!

The Sony Ericsson T608 has bluetooth, and Sprint will start offering it within the next few weeks.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Wow. I didn't realize how popular these Bluetooth phones were right now. I don't even own a cell phone right now. But any compatibility is good compatibility. coupled with the DVD+R/DVD+RW burners, Apple is on a roll.

P-Worm

KevinHoctor

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2001
The Woodlands, TX
That would stink!

Originally posted by frozenstar
The Sony Ericsson T608 has bluetooth, and Sprint will start offering it within the next few weeks.

That would stink! I just bought a phone because they said they had no bluetooth plans in the near future.

Kevin Hoctor

smada

macrumors member
May 7, 2003
wouldn't it be possible to have a bluetooth adapter connect to where you would plug in your usb cable? sure it might add an inch or so to the profile of your phone, but I don't see why it wouldnt work.

KevinHoctor

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2001
The Woodlands, TX
Originally posted by smada
wouldn't it be possible to have a bluetooth adapter connect to where you would plug in your usb cable? sure it might add an inch or so to the profile of your phone, but I don't see why it wouldnt work.

They do have those adapters for phones (mostly for bluetooth earphones), but the point is that I really did like the tiny size of the Sony-Ericcson phone, but the only place I could get it was AT&T. They offered it with their mLife service which is not very good as far as national coverage goes.

The nice part is that it's a world phone and I do travel to Europe once or twice a year. I just couldn't deal with the poor local connectivity. It may be better in a year or two.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Re: That would stink!

Originally posted by KevinHoctor
That would stink! I just bought a phone because they said they had no bluetooth plans in the near future.

NEVER believe sales people or customer service reps at mobile phone providers. They would tell you that the Sun will not rise tomorrow morning, if they thought it would increase your likelihood of buying a new phone and plan today.

Sony Ericsson announced the BT-capable T608 for SprintPCS in March at the CeBIT show. Always, before you buy a new cell phone, take look at http://wireless.cnet.com and http://www.PhoneScoop.com. Both have the T608 slated for introduction in June.

Now, if only Verizon would announce that the T606 has Bluetooth...

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by Shaktai
Remember that your Nextel is a Motorola. Knowing Motorola they will continue to be behind the curve on this. Nextel needs an alternative supplier, but hasn't had much luck finding one yet, due to the unique nature of their technology. Supposedly Motorola is supposed to bring out a "blue tooth" compatible phone for Nextel, but no-one is holding their breath.
There was a time where Nextel had two phone suppliers. Motorola and Kyocera. But somewhere between inception and completion, Kyocera backed out. So Nextel still only has the one supplier.

Now, onto the Bluetooth subject. Motorola (or any cell phone manufacturer) builds phones to the specifications that their customers wants. And by customers, I mean the wireless providers, not the end user. If Nextel wanted a Bluetooth enabled iDen phone to sell to their suscribers, then Motorola would build one for them. The fact that there isn't a Bluetooth Nextel phone underscores the belief (wrong or right) of the Nextel folks that their customers don't want Bluetooth phones.

Motorola won't make any advancements to their iDen phones that Nextel (or SouthernLINC) doesn't want. Moto doesn't want to build tons of phones with no buyers. It's not like they can sell them to Verizon or T-Mobile.

KevinHoctor

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2001
The Woodlands, TX
Re: Re: That would stink!

Originally posted by mustang_dvs
NEVER believe sales people or customer service reps at mobile phone providers. They would tell you that the Sun will not rise tomorrow morning, if they thought it would increase your likelihood of buying a new phone and plan today.

Sony Ericsson announced the BT-capable T608 for SprintPCS in March at the CeBIT show. Always, before you buy a new cell phone, take look at http://wireless.cnet.com and http://www.PhoneScoop.com. Both have the T608 slated for introduction in June.

Oh sure, NOW you tell me. ;)

I don't believe the sales folks usually, but I could not find any answers from the CeBIT news or any other place. Now if I had known about PhoneScoop (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/04-29-2003/0001935940&EDATE=) I would have waited to buy a phone.

I'll have to give this one to the wife and make it seem like a real sacrifice to give it up. :D

Thanks!

Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.