Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
hey guys,

So two curious things I noted in the keynote. First, when he went to make a photo into wallpaper, it seemed like he clicked nothing. he just clicked in a corner and buttons popped up. strange, no? (see pictures).

Also, for a SPLIT second in the video you see that Steve accidently hits the volume button on the iPhone, bringing up a "Ringer" volume control thing. Is this the same button that might control the mysteriously-unmentioned Vibrate function? Or is that a different switch?

just thought i'd share my observations :)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    241.6 KB · Views: 221
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    228.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    235.9 KB · Views: 178

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
So what are you trying to say? What is your point?

haha yeah i was worried that i didn't have a point! well i have two points...

1. What is going on with that wallpaper photo thing?! Where is he clicking?

2. What do we all think about that volume control? Is that a separate switch from the "vibrate" feature? Maybe volume = 0 is the same as vibrate?

I know that nobody "knows" the answer, none of us has used an iPhone... I just felt like hearing some speculation from my fellow MR users :)

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Speculation is for fools, don't get ahead of yourself on this thing. In the end it is just a phone so it will have basic functions like vibrate. And for the wallpaper thing it will probably be straight forward as anything is with Apple.

Now go ahead and change that avatar to another team ;)

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City

hah well i'm currently trying to find out how to make a moving avatar of an iPhone unlocking. If you can make that for me, i'll get rid of the Yankees avatar (at least for a little while).

do we have a deal gimmeslack?

Cepe Indicum

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2006
hey guys,

So two curious things I noted in the keynote. First, when he went to make a photo into wallpaper, it seemed like he clicked nothing. he just clicked in a corner and buttons popped up. strange, no? (see pictures).

just thought i'd share my observations :)

Go here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/phone/ then click on 'Photos'.

When you watch the video, it looks like you press on the lower part of the screen, and then navigation / option buttons appear... in much the same way as they do in iPhoto full screen mode.

You're right tho... in Steve's demo, he does appear to click nothing. Wouldn't read too much into it tho; according to David Pogue, some of the apps (such as iCal) are still in development.

Hope this helps :)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
And another observation:

If you watch where he's playing video (I think it was when he started playing the clip from the episode of The Office), the video on the big screen starts playing in landscape, then a second later Steve turns the iPhone around.

Also, every time he was switching from landsape to portrait, they cut away from the 'over the shoulder' camera view and just showed the big screen.

It looked to me he might have been mimicing along to a pre-recorded demo, just in case there were still glitches in the system which could play up in a 'live' demo.

</conspiracy theory>

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
And another observation:

If you watch where he's playing video (I think it was when he started playing the clip from the episode of The Office), the video on the big screen starts playing in landscape, then a second later Steve turns the iPhone around.

Steve said during the keynote that all movies automatically play in landscape mode.

Xyl

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
hey guys,
Also, for a SPLIT second in the video you see that Steve accidently hits the volume button on the iPhone, bringing up a "Ringer" volume control thing.

Did he accidentally hit it? I thought he was just switching to speaker phone (or it automatically switched it).

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2006
Hmmm u see that wire connected to the back of the iphone?

Its a USB cable wich leads to 4 x Mac Pros Powering it.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
In the end it is just a phone so it will have basic functions like vibrate.

You'd be suprised how many phones don't have vibrate. Including almost the whole of Nokia's top of the range Communicator phone range, going back over 6 or 7 years, despite thousands of complaints.

There might not be room in the iPhone for vibrators, which do take up a lot of space that is needed for LCD, chips etc. PDAs traditionally have never had vibrators either.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
You'd be suprised how many phones don't have vibrate. Including almost the whole of Nokia's top of the range Communicator phone range, going back over 6 or 7 years, despite thousands of complaints.

There might not be room in the iPhone for vibrators, which do take up a lot of space that is needed for LCD, chips etc. PDAs traditionally have never had vibrators either.

I really, really want an iPhone, but vibration may be a dealbreaker.

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
Speculation is for fools, don't get ahead of yourself on this thing. In the end it is just a phone so it will have basic functions like vibrate. And for the wallpaper thing it will probably be straight forward as anything is with Apple.

Agreed!

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
I really, really want an iPhone, but vibration may be a dealbreaker.

Same here. I'm so excited about this phone, but London is busy and loud. Ringtones do nothing for me! I need a vibrate function on my phone or else I'll miss every call.

Cheers, T

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
Same here. I'm so excited about this phone, but London is busy and loud. Ringtones do nothing for me! I need a vibrate function on my phone or else I'll miss every call.

Cheers, T

but won't you just be listening to your music all the time? incoming calls ring through the headphones.. okay, maybe sometimes you won't be listening to music, but i have to say, the smaller phones have gotten, the weaker vibrators have gotten.. my current phone is over twice as thick as the iphone, but i rarely feel the vibration. and i've played with the razr's a bit, i can't imagine that vibrate is actually useful for anyone.

not to mention, you put a vibrator in there, and you're stuck with flash memory for all iphones. i'm fairly certain apple is planning on a slightly larger HD based iphone in the future, which will be higher priced.. you can't put a vibrator right next to a hard drive.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
but won't you just be listening to your music all the time? incoming calls ring through the headphones.. okay, maybe sometimes you won't be listening to music, but i have to say, the smaller phones have gotten, the weaker vibrators have gotten.. my current phone is over twice as thick as the iphone, but i rarely feel the vibration. and i've played with the razr's a bit, i can't imagine that vibrate is actually useful for anyone.

not to mention, you put a vibrator in there, and you're stuck with flash memory for all iphones. i'm fairly certain apple is planning on a slightly larger HD based iphone in the future, which will be higher priced.. you can't put a vibrator right next to a hard drive.

i always use vibrate in lectures etc, and i always feel it. i cant see apple not putting vibrate in this, its such a "just works" feature, unobtrusive, usefull.

i think the screen should have proximity sensing, so the extra options appear as your hand gets near the screen, before you press, that would be cool!

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..

I wouldn't be so quick. Modern small hard drives are VERY shock resistant, and if the iPod can survive being dropped with the hard drive running, then it can survive having a vibrator running next to it.

An HD on a table with a vibrator next to it would rattle, which produces higher momentary shock forces. Also a standard 3.5'' HD, being bigger, has more moment of forces acting on it when it rattles.

In the iPhone, a vibrator would be attached to the same chassis as a probable 1'' or 1.5'' HD, so:

i. the force over time graph is a smooth sine wave from the rotation of the vibrator, without spikes from any rattling.

ii. being a small HD, it has inherently far higher G and vibration resistance. (check out the stats for laptop and camera HD drives as opposed to desktop HD drives).

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
i predict that the iPhone will never have a hard drive.

my iPod has broken 4 times, constantly being replaced by apple. i know many others with similar issues. Some get lucky, but way too many ipod-owners experience hard drive failures.

The fact is, the moving parts of a hard drive do not belong in a portable device. I treated my iPods like babies, and they still broke. I will never buy a hard-drive based portable device ever again.

As flash memory gets cheaper and can hold more data (which it is), that flash technology will be integrated with the iPhone. Before you know it we'll see 16 GB or even 30 GB flash iPhones.

mark my words!

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
i predict that the iPhone will never have a hard drive.

my iPod has broken 4 times, constantly being replaced by apple. i know many others with similar issues. Some get lucky, but way too many ipod-owners experience hard drive failures.

The fact is, the moving parts of a hard drive do not belong in a portable device. I treated my iPods like babies, and they still broke. I will never buy a hard-drive based portable device ever again.

As flash memory gets cheaper and can hold more data (which it is), that flash technology will be integrated with the iPhone. Before you know it we'll see 16 GB or even 30 GB flash iPhones.

mark my words!

I've never had problems with my iPods' drives failing. My current 60 GB video iPod got thrown out my car door when my girlfriend managed to catch the head phone cord on her high heel. I did have it in an Agent18 plastic case, but it still took quite a fall. Still works 100%! :D :apple:

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
I've never had problems with my iPods' drives failing. My current 60 GB video iPod got thrown out my car door when my girlfriend managed to catch the head phone cord on her high heel. I did have it in an Agent18 plastic case, but it still took quite a fall. Still works 100%! :D :apple:

yeah it works fine for most people i guess... but the info stored on a phone (and the function of a phone) is way too important to trust to tiny moving metallic plates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.