PDA

View Full Version : Gromacs Altivec-enhanced core officially released!

szark
May 19, 2003, 01:08 PM
Go to http://folding.stanford.edu/ and take the red pill... (http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/reloaded/) :D

alset
May 19, 2003, 01:42 PM
Funny, I just installed the Gromacs release of mc68k's scripts last night. Is there any reason to believe the official release will enhance folding?

Dan

MrMacMan
May 19, 2003, 05:28 PM
They are still with the 3.25 client/text console/screen saver version, so really it is nothing new.

I guess they will be all gromac instead of tinker or something?

So far I have seen no notiacble speed increases with the 2 gromac units I have got... maybe something not noticeable, but it is taking about the same amount of time.

Tiauguinho
May 19, 2003, 06:02 PM
HEHEHEHEH! Nice one indeed! folding@home reloaded! heheh! very good flash! :)

maradong
May 22, 2003, 11:18 AM
so is there an altivec support in the core or not ?

MrMacMan
May 22, 2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by maradong
so is there an altivec support in the core or not ?

Specifically Gromac Units are Altivec optomized, still not Tinker.

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2003, 05:41 PM
They're still not giving out the new code - its coming soon.

Blah, all hype. They should just announce it when its ready unless there is some other reason for do it this way.

D

szark
May 22, 2003, 06:05 PM
They must have spent too much time making these Flash presentations instead of finishing the core...:rolleyes:

bousozoku
May 22, 2003, 06:47 PM
I'm not certain what you people were expecting but it's been over a year and the Gromacs code (Core_78.exe) is working and is using AltiVec quite nicely.

I would think that you with G4s should have seen a periodic point increase. I've been steadily above my Tinker-only folding points per day by about 1.5 times.

I'm not certain that the Tinker code (Core_65.exe) will be changed at all. It is written in FORTRAN and I'm not certain the gcc FORTRAN will do any good with it since Apple doesn't consider FORTRAN a necessity. Apple doesn't even distribute the standard gcc FORTRAN compiler or a FORTRAN to C translator.

I'm glad to see that the team is doing so well. :)