PDA

View Full Version : To Sell or Not - TiBook

justinf77
May 19, 2003, 01:56 PM
Having a dilemma...

Should I sell this PowerBook in anticipation of the new AlBook? It is 1 ghz, 512 ram, SuperDrive model. I really like it, but am not sure of how rugged these things are.

I purchased the TiGlide from RadTech to "ruggedize" it some, not sure how well this will work. I want this machine to serve me well for 2 years. Are the hinges a big problem, for instance, do they become really loose after a while?

I admit, I am a bit of a nut when it comes to my computers. So, in your opinion, should I sell or should I keep? Basically what I am asking is do you think the new TiBooks are durable, good machines? Thanks!

ibookin'
May 19, 2003, 02:31 PM
I'll buy it! I'll give you $100 for it! :D

The machine you have is VERY nice, and I'm not sure that the new one will be much nicer. Either that or you'll have to wait for a while.

vollspacken
May 19, 2003, 02:47 PM
why the heck would you want to sell it???

:confused: :confused: :confused:

justinf77
May 19, 2003, 02:55 PM
Only reason I would sell is if this machine is not durable. I have not read much about the TiBook and durability, so I am basically asking if I can expect 2-3 good years out of this machine, without it collapsing on me.

gotohamish
May 19, 2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by justinf77
Only reason I would sell is if this machine is not durable. I have not read much about the TiBook and durability, so I am basically asking if I can expect 2-3 good years out of this machine, without it collapsing on me.

I've gone 2 years and 3 months with my Gen1 Ti 500 and it's only gained character.

Especially the dead bug behind the glowing Apple!

It's an awesome machine, and if you treat it really delicately it can feel delicate, but if you bite your tongue and lug it around it's still fine. It's made out of TITANIUM for god's sake!!!

I love mine, and will keep it forever. don't get me wrong, I'll probably get the first G5 12" too, but I've got a while for that!

justinf77
May 19, 2003, 03:48 PM
Great! That is what I was looking for. Oh and if you are interested, check out :

www.radtech.us

I ordered WildEepz, TiGlide, and the sleeve for the PowerBook. Should keep this baby in tip top condition!

A G5 12" PowerBook... mmmmmmm

agreenster
May 19, 2003, 03:48 PM
Dead bug? You're kidding, right?

MacFan25
May 19, 2003, 04:29 PM
What about the paint chipping? was that ever really much of an issue? :confused:

agreenster
May 19, 2003, 04:50 PM
Ive owned 2 powerbooks so far, and both have never had any paint chipping or been beat up at all. Its all about how you take care of them. I assume that most people who drop 2500 dollars a computer has the sense to take care of it as well.....

gotohamish
May 19, 2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by agreenster
Dead bug? You're kidding, right?

No, I saw this tiny black spec on the Apple one day, and thinking it was on the surface, scratched it off, but it was underneath and crawling along. Thus my scratching pushed the Apple down and crushed the little thing!

I've attached a pic. Honestly it's a bug!

gotohamish
May 19, 2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by gotohamish
No, I saw this tiny black spec on the Apple one day, and thinking it was on the surface, scratched it off, but it was underneath and crawling along. Thus my scratching pushed the Apple down and crushed the little thing!

I've attached a pic. Honestly it's a bug!

If the image looks wierd, it's at:

http://www.fourdegree.com/applebug.jpg

gotohamish
May 19, 2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by justinf77
Great! That is what I was looking for. Oh and if you are interested, check out :

www.radtech.us

I ordered WildEepz, TiGlide, and the sleeve for the PowerBook. Should keep this baby in tip top condition!

A G5 12" PowerBook... mmmmmmm

Yeah, I've got the suede keyboard cover.

I recommend madsonline.com for their sleeve, it even has felt on the inside of the zipper so as not to scratch the Powerbook - it's the little details!

justinf77
May 19, 2003, 04:56 PM
I havent had an issue with paint chipping on my unit, but I have only had it for almost a month now, though accidentally hit the edges a couple times with a screwdriver and nothing happened. I have heard that the newer TiBooks are much better about this issue, though I will keep you updated. In any case, if it does become a problem, TiPaint should get the job done quickly and effectively.

cb911
May 19, 2003, 06:41 PM
i've got a TiBook as well (Rev.C 667) and it's still going good. i agree that if you treat it a a fragile thing, then that's how it will seem to you, but they aren't as fragile as people make them out to be.

i took mine with me to college for a year and i just put it in it's plastic that it came covered with and then put that in my backpack. no special sleeves or laptop bags. i think i've even had to run for a train a couple of times with it, but i wouldn't really reccommend that.:p

since mine's a 667, i'm selling it, tomorrow morning if everything goes well. but if i had a 1GHz TiBook with SuperDrive, damn, i'd be holding onto that for a long time.

also, think of what will happen with the updated 15" PowerBooks. it seems certain that the new PB's will be aluminium, and i can't see them having much of a speed-bump. think about that, you might have one of the last high-end TiBooks ever made!:D :D

nef919
May 19, 2003, 07:03 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat. I made my choice though. I have the 17" and the last TiBook (Superdrive, etc...) I decided to sell/trade the TiBook to get a 23" Cinema display. TiBook I bought in Feb. The 17 Al I bought about a week or so ago. My advice... If you are going to sell it and don't have a replacement in hand or being delivered, keep it. It is one sweet machine. As someone else mentioned, this is possibly the last TiBook. That thought was what gave me the most pause. Until I saw the 23" connected to my 17" Al.

DakotaGuy
May 19, 2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by gotohamish
Especially the dead bug behind the glowing Apple!

I never got a dead bug in the glowing Apple on my iBook, but I have one hell of a collection in the bottom of my iSub.

justinf77
May 19, 2003, 09:24 PM
Well, its settled. I am keeping it. Never even thought about it being the last TiBook. Very happy with this machine, especially the first Mac I have had.

I think I read about this bug somewhere... A switcher loves his Mac and wants to buy more of them. Haha I even found myself on eBay looking for old Macs to use for various reasons. Oh boy it has been 3 weeks and I am so converted :D

Ryan1524
May 19, 2003, 09:35 PM
after much reading, i found that most of the time, the paint chipping is on the carbon fiber outer frame, and not the painted titanium side. so what if we just scrape that paint off (after it's terribly chipped and flaked of course) and do soemthing else with it, maybe leave it naked, or paint it something else, etc..

someone did this (http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=28159&papass=&sort=1&thecat=998)...
this is of course different from what i was suggesting, but proves that once the paint is chipped or damaged, it can be modified to look even better maybe...:)