PDA

View Full Version : SBCYahoo! DSL made me their shag toy...

BaghdadBob
May 19, 2003, 02:54 PM
Do not do business with SBC DSL if you can help it. That's my reccomendation.

I just ordered the disconnect for my SBCYahoo!!! DSL service, and I got stiffed with a $200 early disconnect fee. Sit on back and hear my tale, and know why this is utter ************.

To start from the top, I HAD DirecTV DSL, (not satellite) and it was excellent. We were set up with it in no time flat. My computer was hooked up by ethernet to the box, and my girl's computer was hooked up via USB, so we didn't even need a router. The customer service was so awesome (which has been my experience overall with DirecTV) that they actually called us when we were having initial trouble connecting, and told us what the problem was. This was withing five minutes of hooking the box up. Sweet, absolutely the way customer service should be in the current electronic age.

Now, in December (I think) we recieved very sudden notification that DirecTV DSL would be shutting its doors. They "reccomended" SBC for us. Neither my fianceť nor myself wanted to go this route, because we were tired of even having SBC on our local lines, because -- and I know they're supposed to be "the same" but I don't buy it -- since PacBell went to SBC, SBC has been truly crappy.

Sadly, after calling every alternative DSL provider we could think of, we discovered we could not get anything other than SBC at our address. My dad lives only three or four miles from here and he has RoadRunner. No RoadRunner for you, fatboy!

So we sign up for SBC DSL. It comes with a one year contract. In this contract it states a provision not to have to pay the early disconnect if they are unable to provide service at our new address.

So why are we being rogered here? Because we are moving outside their service area..."But, they said that if they are unable to provide service the early disconnect fee doesn't apply? What's the deal?!?" Apparently, we have to move WITHIN THEIR SERVICE AREA for them to wave the disconnect fee if they are then unable to provide service.

Is this not a bunch of crap? They crowd out every other service because they own the lines, force us to either go without DSL or sign a one-year contract with them, tell us if they are unable to provide service they will waive the disconnect fee, then charge us for moving where they are unable to provide service! $200 @$*&in' dollars!

ARRRRGH!!!! YOU SUCK SBC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and by the way, in contrast to DirecTV, our DSL didn't work for a week after it was supposed to, and that was only after spending eighteen hours talking to their highly inept customer service department. I am not kidding. I spent all damned day on and off with them.

BTW, this is a good time to mention that I probably won't be back online for a few days starting tuesday or wednesday at the latest.

Captnroger
May 19, 2003, 03:25 PM
Definately YMMV. SBCYahoo DSL at my home has been perfect from day one. And I replaced my 5-year old crappy Roadrunner connection the day DSL was available in my area.

Pings for online gaming improved over 100%, down to below 40ms in most cases (1.5MB DSL, 768K UP).

BaghdadBob
May 19, 2003, 03:35 PM
OK, I had to go to AcronymFinder for that one... Your Milage May Vary? That seems to make sense. In this particular case I would say they are screwing the customer with their policy -- I'm a little biased here -- and their explaination? It's to cover the cost of their equipment. Which I'm free to keep. Oh, gee, thanks guys, I just threw one of those away last week it's so valuable to me.

As many are aware, SBC is being sued or legislated against or something because of their monopolizing policy with DSL. It is only because of this policy that I had to switch from my perfectly good service to start with, so you can see why being screwed over the fine print in our contract leaves me more than a little miffed...

I do plan to contest this when I get my closing bill with a manager...what good it'll do, I don't know, but I have no intention of paying it anytime soon.

tazo
May 19, 2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by BaghdadBob
OK, I had to go to AcronymFinder for that one... Your Milage May Vary? That seems to make sense. In this particular case I would say they are screwing the customer with their policy -- I'm a little biased here -- and their explaination? It's to cover the cost of their equipment. Which I'm free to keep. Oh, gee, thanks guys, I just threw one of those away last week it's so valuable to me.

As many are aware, SBC is being sued or legislated against or something because of their monopolizing policy with DSL. It is only because of this policy that I had to switch from my perfectly good service to start with, so you can see why being screwed over the fine print in our contract leaves me more than a little miffed...

I do plan to contest this when I get my closing bill with a manager...what good it'll do, I don't know, but I have no intention of paying it anytime soon.

you should see if there is a class action against them.

BaghdadBob
May 19, 2003, 05:58 PM
I was thinking about that, seriously.

MrMacMan
May 19, 2003, 05:58 PM
Yes, i second tazo's response. I belive that that was a breach of contract, go over it with a lawyer and see if you have a case.

sparkleytone
May 19, 2003, 09:16 PM
i'm sure you can find a lawyer that would love to take your case. have some fun with it. there is no end to my hatred for telecom companies.

iJon
May 19, 2003, 09:48 PM
i have learned in my area that sbc is a gamble. i have them and i love it. fast speeds for cheap cheap. i get about 150 kb/s. my friend pays the same as me across town and he gets like 20 max. my other friend acroos town gets like 300-400. its crazy. i upgraded my service to my friends level so i could get 300-400, but it stayed the same.

iJon

tazo
May 19, 2003, 09:53 PM
Well BB thats three votes for 'see a lawyer' it couldn't hurt and many will do a free consultation. :)

BaghdadBob
May 20, 2003, 01:38 AM
Yes, thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this terribly sheisty.

The girl on the phone was lucky I used to be imbedded among CSRs (customer service reps) at my old job so i wasn't an a*****e to her for telling me what the policy was. She asked me at the end of our little chat to rate the service I had recieved. I asked "you mean from you or your company?"

She thought that was pretty funny.

CSRs will talk about someone being cool with them for hours between their calls. I gave her a 5/5.

Just a word from me, don't be mean to customer service, they get enough crap all day...

Anyway, I think I have the choice up there between AT&T Broadband and Verizon DSL (once my phone has been active long enough for them to check). Anyone still reading this thread have any reccomendations betweent the two?

madoka
May 20, 2003, 02:20 AM
When I signed up for SBC, they told me from the get-go very clearly that if I move out of their area, I'd get hit with the early termination fee for cancelling. I'm surprised they didn't tell you as well.

Wow, it seems America's love/hate relationship with lawyers is still alive and well. I'm surprised at the number of people telling you to go to a lawyer. When you need them, they're suddenly your best friend. When you don't, lawyers are an evil drag on our country.

Speaking as a lawyer, I think you've got no chance. Why? Because any quality lawyer would ask for a retainer in the neighborhood of $3-5K before beginning your case. Which is why you'll never hire one over $200. Second, I'm sure somewhere in some document you signed with SBC and sold them your soul, they tell you about their policy.

I think you're best bet is to call and complain to different supervisors until you get one sympathetic to your situation. Then hope for some sort of break on the early termination fee.

Personally I hate SBC for other reasons, like dropping my connection when I'm about to beat 3 other players on Warcraft III. :)

BaghdadBob
May 20, 2003, 02:50 AM
Oh, I agree that my best bet is to complain to supers. It's amazing what kinds of rules can be bent when you have a managers phone number :D

The only time I would consider participating in a law suit would be class-action. I really hat this kind of crap, and I would like corporate America to quit it. Definitely not worth it for only $200, unless accompanied by other similar claims.