PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Mac Setup Guidelines

TheSpaceBetween
May 19, 2003, 05:16 PM
http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum64/HTML/001422.html
Using the MacAddict June '03 and MacAddict July '02 issues, I think I've compiled a pretty serious machine.

Uses: DVD-playing, audio mixing (beginner level), image and video editing (beginner)
Pros: Kickass home theatre system, great for anything

Computer
Apple G4 Power Mac 1Ghz $1499

Display
Apple Cinema 20" Display $1299

Sound System
Yamaha RP-U200 Personal Receiver $449*
Bose VCS-30 Series II Center/Surround Speaker Package $320

Total Cost: $3567

* price not confirmed

So, what do ya think? I think it is quite an affordable system, considering what someone like me would be doing with it.

I chose the Apple Cinema Display, because I could not find anything better. I actually thought the SGI or Sharp displays were better, but for the cost, they are not.

I'm open to suggested replacements.

At the link above, I set up the ultimate computer for my personal needs. I doubt, however, that what I put down there were the best for their prices.

I want to know what the "best" of the following are:

Display
up to $2000
Flat-panel LCDs
Sound System
up to $600
Surround-Sound w/woofer

There are displays better than the 20" Apple Cinema Display, for $2000 or under, correct? If so, please name them, their price, and a link if you could.

I'm not what you'd call a Sound System expert. I don't understand as much about them as I do about any other computer hardware. I have the Harman/Kardon SoundSticks with iSub. But once we get our G4 Tower, I want to be able to convince my dad that surround sound is affordable.

What I'm Looking For In Sound System
4+ speakers
subwoofer
high-quality, of course

Thanks.

tazo
May 19, 2003, 05:46 PM
if you are spending 2000 on a display then money is prolly no object; I would go with the 5.1 setup from Klipsch, they sound excellent, look cool, and come with a name u can trust.

Gymnut
May 19, 2003, 06:34 PM
I have to agree, anything from Klipsch's Promedia line is a clear cut above from the rest. I'm currently running a 4.4 system tho not entirely true 4.4,( two Promedia 2.1's and two SWS subs). Your ears will gladly thank you if they haven't been shattered.

http://www.klipsch.com/:D

TheSpaceBetween
May 19, 2003, 07:39 PM
So, would that be the SYNERGY, or what?

Nevermind. The ProMedia GMX D-5.1 must be what I'm looking for. :) wh00sh! Only $300! My dad wanted to get another set of SoundSticks, but I said "no way"...

So, now on to Displays. Anyone got any ideas?

Gymnut
May 19, 2003, 07:59 PM
Shoot, if you're gonna spend up to 2k for a display, opt for the higher end Apple 23" HD cinema display. That baby's $1999.99! Mucho better than the $3500 it was not too long ago.

TheSpaceBetween
May 19, 2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Gymnut
Shoot, if you're gonna spend up to 2k for a display, opt for the higher end Apple 23" HD cinema display. That baby's $1999.99! Mucho better than the $3500 it was not too long ago.

Then again, $2000 is the max. :) I still have yet to convince my dad that we should not get a 17"... I've convinced him with the sound system; now to see if he would like to get the 20". The 20" is what I've had my eyes on. I've wanted the 23" since it came out, but the chances of that are quite slim...

donigian
Jun 4, 2003, 09:20 PM
For speakers definately go for Klipsch ProMedia, but consider the 5.1 Digital Dream Multimedia System. While the GMX D-5.1 has great specs and sound, the DD has better specs for DVD audio decoding; it is certified DTS, Dolby Digital, Pro Logic and is THX certified (www.thx.com).

But, if you've already convinced your father about the GMX speakers, go for them. They are an excellent set of speakers that will look stunning next to your Mac.

TheSpaceBetween
Jun 4, 2003, 10:04 PM
We went to the local Apple Resailer last Saturday. Boy, is that 1Ghz G4 something else compared to a 400Mhz DV/SE! Whoosh!

I just love the awe-inspring gleam of the tower... And the display! Whoosh! Even on the 17", it's a beautiful setup.

They had a set of Harman/Kardon Soundsticks hooked up to the G4 with the 23" display. Those Soundsticks look puny! Right now, they're sitting next to my iMac and look quite well proportioned. But I certainly wouldn't want them for the G4... Even next to a 17" they looked a bit weird. :) Much rather have that surround sound... Hehe.

So, here's the setup we're most likely getting:
hardware
17" Apple Studio Display
1Ghz Power Mac G4
+512MB free RAM
EtherFast Cable/DSL Router for 640k+ DSL modem
Klipsch ProMedia GMX D-5.1 (hell, it'll hook to my PS2, which is in the same room :cool: )

software
AppleWorks 6
plus updates of our OS 9 apps

games
Unreal Tournament 2003

This will certainly be a great investment.

*psh* And my girlfriend teases me for drooling over puters. Good reasons to though... :D

mangoman
Jun 5, 2003, 07:17 AM
[i]games
Unreal Tournament 2003

This will certainly be a great investment.
[/B]

Now here's a guy who's got his priorities in order. I'm so moved I could cry... ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2003, 07:44 AM
Right now I think it would be a mistake to even think of getting a G4 PowerMac. In a few weeks the whole word of Macdom will probably change and this *ultimate* machine will be far inferior to what's going to be available.

Personally, I'm going to get a new machine this year as well - dual 970 (and I'll wait for this if I have to), dual 20" LCDs. Forget the year of the laptop - I'm really hoping this is going to be the year of the Mac :D

D

cubist
Jun 5, 2003, 08:22 AM
Not sure those 970s are going to be available and/or affordable for quite some time... Meanwhile a 1GHz machine will keep its value for a pretty long while. Personally I like to stay a little ways from the bleeding edge.

Sounds like a good system to me. You might want to include a couple more games, such as nascar 2003, warcraft iii, civilization iii. Is the MS Office deal for $299 still available? Appleworks 6 is a little creaky. With a fast system and lots of RAM, X11 and OpenOffice works pretty well.

Also we think the 17" LCD is about to be discontinued, so try to get a good price.

Does someone have a link for those Klipsch ProMedias? I have a cube with the USB sound, so I'd need to use an iMic plus an amp.

mangoman
Jun 5, 2003, 01:12 PM
http://www.klipsch.com/

donigian
Jun 5, 2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by cubist
Does someone have a link for those Klipsch ProMedias? I have a cube with the USB sound, so I'd need to use an iMic plus an amp.

They are the PROMEDIA GMX D-5.1. Link: http://klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=525

And, not to be smart, but try Googling or going to the Klipsch website and browsing for them.

TheSpaceBetween
Jun 5, 2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Right now I think it would be a mistake to even think of getting a G4 PowerMac. In a few weeks the whole word of Macdom will probably change and this *ultimate* machine will be far inferior to what's going to be available.

D

I highly doubt Apple will come out with anything at the price of $1500... And that's what we're looking at. I also highly doubt Apple will come out with anything quite remarkable. Hopefully, they do, though, so the price of the 1Ghz Power Mac will go down. :)

edit: If the 17" is to be discontinued, all the better. Then we could get a 20" for the same price as the 17". :) Also, we weren't planning to get this computer until Panther came out. We have no need for OS 9 on the new computer, because we'll keep this one active. If Apple comes out with anything affordable, we'll probably make a few adjustments. ;)