PDA

View Full Version : I bought a new iPod! Destroyed it twice within 3 days

mainstreetmark
Jan 25, 2007, 08:18 AM
So, I've been trucking around a 3G 40gig fat boy for a while now, and decided that it's too old, and too small, and doesn't handle podcasts very elegantly, so I purchased a refurb 60gig iPod from Apple.

On the way out to the boat, I took the new iPod out of my pants pocket and put it in my hoodie sweatshirt pocket to keep it from getting wet (an inflatable, leaky dinghy). Well, the dumb thing fell out of my hoodie straight into the 4 inches of oceanwater in the bottom of the dinghy. Death #1.

I let it dry out in the sun and wind for 2 days, and Sunday afternoon it was "almost" dry, was able to boot up, complain about no battery, and shut off. I thought I'd give it another full day in the sun.

Well, it wound up raining, and now after 3 more days, it won't do much at all besides complain about low battery, "very" low battery and can sometimes get far enough to show the Sad iPod.

I think I'll throw it in the garbage and tell an environmentalist that i didn't recycle it.

Turkish
Jan 25, 2007, 08:22 AM
I think I'll throw it in the garbage and tell an environmentalist that i didn't recycle it.

Or maybe do something that requires brains and trade it in for 10% toward a new one? :confused: :rolleyes:

liketom
Jan 25, 2007, 08:26 AM
bit of bad luck there with the water damage - you sir need a waterproof case

like ...... http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=2053&t_mode=des

or

a clear pastic bag with a knot in it :cool:

mainstreetmark
Jan 25, 2007, 08:38 AM
bit of bad luck there with the water damage - you sir need a waterproof case

like ...... http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=2053&t_mode=des

or

a clear pastic bag with a knot in it :cool:

Yeah, I've had bad luck with electronics in the last 9 months. Here's the list:
- iPod, afore mentioned
- Cellphone. The "rugged" motorola i560 got "moist" one day. Had to buy a new one
- QuickerTeck Antenna booster - just doesn't work anymore at all. Sent in for repair, still doesn't work
- MacBook - It caught Random Shutdown Syndrome
- MacBook - The battery died after 7 months. Apple allowed me to purchase a new one
- PowerBook - Screen started glitching, and eventually died. Applecare decided NOT to replace it for me for some convenient reason, so screw Applecare.
- PowerBook - CD Drive eats discs and ejects them only every 40th time.
- External Harddrive - Mounts only about a third of the time, now. OSX yells at me if i unplug the USB cable after 10 minutes of no harddrive showing up.
- Two navigational lights, but they're cheap at $15, so who cares about that one.

yeah... so....

EDIT: That waterproof case is $100 bucks! $100 for a clear plastic box? I like the ziplock idea even better now...

smartin684
Jan 25, 2007, 08:42 AM
send it to me. I would be happy to "Recycle" it for you :)

Sdashiki
Jan 25, 2007, 09:06 AM
salt water = death

the salt alone would cause some nasty staining to the circuits.

if you could open it up, wash it with soap and a distilled water solution, dry, it could have worked again. maybe.

mainstreetmark
Jan 25, 2007, 09:13 AM
salt water = death

the salt alone would cause some nasty staining to the circuits.

if you could open it up, wash it with soap and a distilled water solution, dry, it could have worked again. maybe.

I was kinda hoping the Rain would do that. The saltwater is a mess, man. Some of my USB connectors are rusty! I have to keep them oiled.

I have an iPod cracker somewhere around here i got when my the screen broke on my old iPod (oh, i should add that to the list. The old iPod's had to have the screen and the battery replaced)

.JahJahwarrior.
Jan 25, 2007, 10:14 AM
You could probably pull it apart and sell casing and screen for parts. Main board and battery might be toast though. I'd use the screen from a submerged ipod, but not the battery. Unless of course I want my ipod to explode someday for no apparent reason. :)

KD7IWP
Jan 25, 2007, 11:14 AM
A friend spilt water all over her laptop, and I removed the battery, hard drive, and anything I could to help it air out. After a weekend it was just fine. Crack open that ipod and pull out the battery, then wipe it down with a damp cloth to soak up some of the salt. I think it would be fine. My guess is there is some salt water shorting out the battery or something. I'll pay shipping for you to send it to me! :D

MacBoobsPro
Jan 25, 2007, 11:19 AM
I was kinda hoping the Rain would do that. The saltwater is a mess, man. Some of my USB connectors are rusty! I have to keep them oiled.

I have an iPod cracker somewhere around here i got when my the screen broke on my old iPod (oh, i should add that to the list. The old iPod's had to have the screen and the battery replaced)

You should be banned from owning electronic devices. :p I was going to say you should be tagged so we could keep an eye on you but will probably destroy that too. :D

mainstreetmark
Jan 25, 2007, 04:03 PM
You should be banned from owning electronic devices. :p I was going to say you should be tagged so we could keep an eye on you but will probably destroy that too. :D

I'm inclined to agree.

I see, for example, that the server i host iTunesRegistry.com stays alive for about an hour before it dies completely and requires a hard reset.

Tymmz
Jan 25, 2007, 04:52 PM
have you ever considered moving.

your list of tech-deaths is terrible.

is your boat (or house, flat) located on some ancient graveyard?

i know! because you don't recycle, nature is playing tricks on you. wait! nature would be quite dumb if it would cause it's own pollution.

sorry, i have no clue.

mainstreetmark
Jan 25, 2007, 05:03 PM
have you ever considered moving.

your list of tech-deaths is terrible.

is your boat (or house, flat) located on some ancient graveyard?

i know! because you don't recycle, nature is playing tricks on you. wait! nature would be quite dumb if it would cause it's own pollution.

sorry, i have no clue.

As a matter of fact, yes!

The Matanzas River derives its name from the massacre of a group of 250 shipwrecked French Huguenots from Fort Caroline, lead by Jean Ribault, by Spanish settlers led by Pedro MenÚndez de AvilÚs. The Huguenots were executed near the present site of Matanzas Inlet in 1565. MenÚndez had been ordered to kill all Protestants he found in the New World. "Matanzas" means "massacre" in Spanish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matanzas_River

I should also add I've gone through 3 300 watt inverters this year. One never worked. One decided to take up smoking. And one, you guessed it, got soaked with saltwater (but, it WAS in a plastic bag, and the plastic bag filled with salt water. I also lost a loaf of bread in the same bag)

It's ridiculous!

And, true, i don't really recycle, but I do use solar. so, balance?

Tymmz
Jan 25, 2007, 05:15 PM

you should be fine with solar.

just sacrifice a few local animals and all your electronics will remain healthy!

FoxyKaye
Jan 25, 2007, 06:24 PM
OtterBox makes a cheaper waterproof case, although it only goes as deep as 3 feet (1 meter). Try otterbox.com -- I'm getting one for my new iPod after working in a ceramics lab over the past four years destroyed my 20Gig 2G with dust, water and dropping.

dllavaneras
Jan 25, 2007, 06:34 PM
:eek: with your track record, you should just go amish

MSM Hobbes
Jan 25, 2007, 06:42 PM
,,,snip,,,

I should also add I've gone through 3 300 watt inverters this year. One never worked. One decided to take up smoking. And one, you guessed it, got soaked with saltwater (but, it WAS in a plastic bag, and the plastic bag filled with salt water. I also lost a loaf of bread in the same bag)

It's ridiculous!

Few points come to mind quick readily reading your woes...
1. You must be living too close to the Bermuda Triangle too?
2. Do you have troubles finding people to ride in your boat with you?
3. Ummmmmmm,,, what kind of sandwich was you fixing to create, with a 300 W inverter and a loaf of bread in the same bag?
4. Hire an electrical engineer witchdoctor to remove whatever curse is upon you.

;)

Tymmz
Jan 25, 2007, 07:03 PM
:eek: with your track record, you should just go amish

that's the way to go.

MeWannaMac
Jan 25, 2007, 07:10 PM
You dont seem to have much luck with your devices :)

Seriously though, If I were you I would either list it on ebay as a damaged item or list the individual parts on ebay and you may just get some of your money back!

timnosenzo
Jan 25, 2007, 07:22 PM
I have one of these, works well!

http://www.otterbox.com/products/ipod_cases/ipod-video-case/

mainstreetmark
Feb 2, 2007, 10:26 AM
add a cellphone to the list. it rained. :(

second time this stupid cellphone died due to that. so much for nextel's "ruggedized" i580.

I can't wait until i get my hands on an iPhone, so i can destroy that.

holamiamigos
Feb 3, 2007, 01:58 PM
wow man... i dont know what to say

calculus
Feb 3, 2007, 02:15 PM
Remind me never to lend you anything...

mainstreetmark
Feb 4, 2007, 03:59 PM
...and a tire. Some kid slashed it.

mainstreetmark
Feb 20, 2007, 09:27 AM
And some brand new ram. I bought all new hardware for itunesregistry, and within like 3 days, the RAM started failing, and now it's failed entirely.

For your own sakes, keep clear of me.

mainstreetmark
Feb 20, 2007, 04:51 PM
...and the other temporary server i was gonna move itunesregistry.com to. A good ways into slurping in the files, it threw a bunch of 'overheated' messages at the Console and shut itself off.

Man, how is this MacBook of mine able to survive being around me these days.

nitynate
Feb 20, 2007, 05:05 PM
...and the other temporary server i was gonna move itunesregistry.com to. A good ways into slurping in the files, it threw a bunch of 'overheated' messages at the Console and shut itself off.

Man, how is this MacBook of mine able to survive being around me these days.
Oh god.

Run.
Now.
Run as far away from that place as you can.
I feel for you man. :(

savanahrose
Feb 20, 2007, 07:44 PM
Call Sylvia Brown she will get rid of the demons for you, for a price that is. ;)

AutumnSkyline
Feb 20, 2007, 07:48 PM
Call Sylvia Brown she will get rid of the demons for you, for a price that is. ;)

Right, because Sylvia Browne removes demons for a living especially because she says that they don't exist, learn your stuff, man :rolleyes:. All I have to say is either move, or get some common sense->Water+electronic devices=DEATH!!!!! JESUS....

techshellmacbook
Feb 20, 2007, 07:49 PM
send the macbook to me before it gets wrecked

savanahrose
Feb 20, 2007, 07:56 PM
you are right. I should have said ghosts. :rolleyes:

mainstreetmark
Feb 20, 2007, 07:59 PM
Right, because Sylvia Browne removes demons for a living especially because she says that they don't exist, learn your stuff, man :rolleyes:. All I have to say is either move, or get some common sense->Water+electronic devices=DEATH!!!!! JESUS....

Common sense? Only the iPod was affected by water, and common sense doesn't trump accidents too much.

GoCubsGo
Feb 20, 2007, 08:00 PM
how does one destroy something twice?

AutumnSkyline
Feb 20, 2007, 08:04 PM
Common sense? Only the iPod was affected by water, and common sense doesn't trump accidents too much.

I would have to disagree... Common sense tells people to not be on their cell phone, listening to music, smoking, eating breakfast and driving at the same time, and yet somehow that is not suprisingly the way some people get into accidents.....

mainstreetmark
Feb 20, 2007, 08:10 PM
I would have to disagree... Common sense tells people to not be on their cell phone, listening to music, smoking, eating breakfast and driving at the same time, and yet somehow that is not suprisingly the way some people get into accidents.....

That's a good way to look at it alright, but that's usually caused by distractions, not the immutable force of gravity, which, oddly, seems stronger over water. Ask any boater how many screwdrivers are down in the briny deep.

gadgetgirl85
Feb 20, 2007, 08:59 PM
Don't worry I scratched my shuffle after 1 day :mad:

SBik2
Feb 20, 2007, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I've had bad luck with electronics in the last 9 months. Here's the list:
- iPod, afore mentioned
- Cellphone. The "rugged" motorola i560 got "moist" one day. Had to buy a new one
- QuickerTeck Antenna booster - just doesn't work anymore at all. Sent in for repair, still doesn't work
- MacBook - It caught Random Shutdown Syndrome
- MacBook - The battery died after 7 months. Apple allowed me to purchase a new one
- PowerBook - Screen started glitching, and eventually died. Applecare decided NOT to replace it for me for some convenient reason, so screw Applecare.
- PowerBook - CD Drive eats discs and ejects them only every 40th time.
- External Harddrive - Mounts only about a third of the time, now. OSX yells at me if i unplug the USB cable after 10 minutes of no harddrive showing up.
- Two navigational lights, but they're cheap at $15, so who cares about that one.

yeah... so....

EDIT: That waterproof case is $100 bucks! $100 for a clear plastic box? I like the ziplock idea even better now...

I am in your club.. I know how it feels. I break almost anything nice i own. but its usually happening when i least expect it they crap out on me

darkwing
Feb 20, 2007, 09:39 PM

That is a classic line. I love it. :)

Next time this happens, immediately pull the ipod apart however you can and remove the battery. Continue to pour distilled water over it and make sure all the salt is washed out. Then, allow it to dry for a few days and it should be fine.

mainstreetmark
Feb 20, 2007, 09:49 PM
That is a classic line. I love it. :)

Next time this happens, immediately pull the ipod apart however you can and remove the battery. Continue to pour distilled water over it and make sure all the salt is washed out. Then, allow it to dry for a few days and it should be fine.

Yeah, I did, but then it rained on it. I know - idiocy, but it was clear blue skies all weekend. It just didn't look like rain. There appears to be some burnt bits at the end of the battery cable, so I was considering spending $30 on a battery, but it's a gamble.

I'm hoping someone with the same generation iPod will come along and I can convince them to let me try their battery in mine to see if the thing still works.