PDA

View Full Version : Two iPods out there?

MacRumors
May 19, 2003, 11:30 PM
iPodlounge (http://www.ipodlounge.com/ipodnews_comments.php?id=498_0_7_0_M) has a story describing the possibility that there is a "better" iPod revision with a blue backlight. Details are scarce...

Grimace
May 19, 2003, 11:56 PM
Ooh goodie - blue screens are always fun. I'll wait til WWDC and see what happens. Apple wouldn't want to be involved in false advertising!

Macette
May 20, 2003, 12:10 AM
blue screen of death??

Nykwil
May 20, 2003, 01:05 AM
I posted an observation at ipodlounge that with my ipod...in the dark, yes the backlight DOES look white...but in lit situations the backlight does very much have a blue tint to it. So I'm assuming that the ipod's the Apple employee put out on display were:

1. in full florescent light and could've change the way the led's color appeared.

2. compared to an ipod thats been under wear and tear the newer ipod that was put on display would probably look brighter and bluer.

just think about how certain colors react to flouresent lighting...especially in the apple store....everyone could be jumping to conclusions just by checkin the ipod's backlight in unlit conditions...but when compared to lit conditions the results can be different.
the same can be said about a new ipod vs an ipod thats been on display and in peoples hands for several weeks. Flourescent lighting does tend to make things look brighter and bluer.

AndrewMT
May 20, 2003, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I'm sorry, but this is the stupidist post I've ever seen on macrumors. The backlight on the new and old ipods is the white/blue color also found on the lit Apple logo on the ice ibooks. The backlight is a chromoluminescent strip which is as close to white as it can get. A similar strip is found on the gameboy sp which also has a slightly blue tint to it.

physicsnerd
May 20, 2003, 03:56 AM
Looking at the photos they do look slightly different. It's not really suprising that Apple would switch screens so soon. Apple may very well have been producing these for a couple of months before the announcement. If after so many thousand were produced, Apple found a better screen for the same price or cheaper, they may have just switched them out. It's not really worthy of Apple mentioning it because it happens all the time in the manufacturing process. I'm sure Apple swiches resistors, caps, ect all the time based on cost issuses. They're not as apparent as switching a screen, but it happens constantly in almost every industry.

Apple wouldn't want to have everyone who just bought them try to switch them for the "new and improved" ipods. Also, i'm not sure if the screen on the new ipods is the same as the old ones. But if they are, it's possible that Apple just wanted to use up the excess inventory before switching to the newer screens.

physicsnerd

------------------
"Even logic must give way to physics" - Spock

Wardofsky
May 20, 2003, 06:23 AM
I don't understand why the revise the iPods (If they did) so soon after releasing them...

Wardofsky
May 20, 2003, 06:31 AM
Sorry to post again so soon but..
This was on the (Original 5gb) iPod intro video and when they came out the backlight was white.

Relevant, perhaps, irrelavent, perhaps.

iJon
May 20, 2003, 08:08 AM
i think apple over did it with some photoshop or some app like that. giving it that timex indigo blue look really stressed the new better display. i was looking at mine the other day and it was white. i was looking at people's on the internet and a lot of theirs looked really blue. then a couple of days i looked at mine in the right lighting and it was blue. its odd but i doubt there are two ipods, i will stay on the lookout though, interesting thought.

iJon

KLFloyd
May 20, 2003, 08:11 AM
The first runs of any product to come off the assembly line are notoriously buggy. Minor improvements, changes in internal circuitry, etc are made to correct these bugs and to try to work all of the kinks out of the system.

It does seem like there are higher than normal reports of bugs in the 3rd Gen. iPods, some no doubt hardware, some software. Perhaps if this truly is the 2nd batch to come off the assembly line we'll notice some minor improvements as well.

Here's to hoping...my iPods due to ship May 30th! :)

HasanDaddy
May 20, 2003, 09:11 AM
I could've sworn that my iPod had a blue screen......until I looked at it in my apt

so maybe the color does differ, depending on the light?

at least those KEY buttons remain RED!!!

HasanDaddy
May 20, 2003, 09:12 AM
btw Katie --

good to hear

I recall you, like me, have been waiting since Feb for this update!

noverflow
May 20, 2003, 11:54 AM
has anyone here ever heard of color balance.

daylight is blue or about 6500k
inside light is amber or about 4500k
note: it is kelvin- so there is NO degrees

if you are out side the ipod would look very white.

if you where inside and the main light was your normal lights, your eyes would white balance to the 4500k by adding blue and the ipod would look very blue.

when taking pics of your ipod, set your white balance to outside and look how it comes out.

then try the inside set... it will be so very blue.

FlamDrag
May 20, 2003, 12:10 PM
To elaborate on the above:

- more specifically Tungstun Light is amber / yellow.

Florescents, Halogens, Neons (yes, I realize that they generate different colors of "neon" lights by adding different gasses, but JUST neon has it's own color Mr(s). Smarty Pants) and all other light sources have their own 'colors' too.

The best way to tell is to get all the iPods in a completely dark room and fire them up.

neier
May 20, 2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by iJon
i think apple over did it with some photoshop or some app like that. giving it that timex indigo blue look really stressed the new better display.

When I go to the language menu, "Japanese" is written in Kanji -- not spelled out like in that picture. Of course, I live in Japan, so maybe that is why? But, "Deutsch" and "Francais" also show up instead of German and French. Do US iPods have the language menu just like the one shown in the picture above??

Monkeypoo
May 20, 2003, 05:49 PM
This cracks me up that a digital camera and ambient lighting could cause such an uproar! I've played around with my camera taking pictures of some brightly colored papers (origami ball I made instead of studying) and there are so many features (white balance, vivid, neutral, soft edges, etc) on a camera that the ball changes colors every time I change just one setting a tiny bit. If I tried, I could probably post a picture of a yellow ipod screen (but since I also ordered from dell, I'm in the same boat as katie...waiting). But it was a nice break from studying to laugh at the ipodlounge "debate."

KLFloyd
May 20, 2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by HasanDaddy
btw Katie --

good to hear

I recall you, like me, have been waiting since Feb for this update!

Hey thanks for remembering...in fact I've been waiting for an iPod update since last JULY. Of course I didn't get everything I wanted but I can't wait forever.

I'm just hoping this new dock port will present lots of opportunities for expansion. There are way too many connectors in there to limit it to it's current abilities.

I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting for my iPod to arrive, I guess then I'll know for sure.

mim
May 20, 2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by noverflow
has anyone here ever heard of color balance.

daylight is blue or about 6500k
inside light is amber or about 4500k
note: it is kelvin- so there is NO degrees

if you are out side the ipod would look very white.

if you where inside and the main light was your normal lights, your eyes would white balance to the 4500k by adding blue and the ipod would look very blue.

when taking pics of your ipod, set your white balance to outside and look how it comes out.

then try the inside set... it will be so very blue.

Good info.

Films also change colours in varying light levels. Kodak film goes golden yellow, fuji (some of them) have a stronger blue hue, etc.

I don't know the specifics on digital cameras, but playing around with the white balance on my Ricoh can change colours dramatically in low light settings.

a.

HasanDaddy
May 21, 2003, 02:49 AM
For what its worth

I'm a filmmaker, and I prefer Kodak film over Fuji

but even moreso, I prefer Digital over all film lately

.....yeah, that was useless to post, but I wanted to brag a little ;)

sparks9
May 21, 2003, 08:22 AM
Mine is bluish/whitish. :D

Exlaxxboy
May 21, 2003, 09:26 PM
I just ate a thumbtack

Cheese
May 21, 2003, 10:11 PM
O.K. Two iPods walk into a bar....
and one orders the drinks. The first iPod has a beige screen and when it takes a sip of the drink it immediately turns blue and falls over. The iPod that ordered the drinks looks into the first iPods glass and, seeing a thumbtack asks the bartender where the other thumbtack went.....

Wardofsky
May 22, 2003, 12:27 AM
Yeah, if you look at your iPod (Mines 10gb) you can see that direct straight angle view of the screen the backlight is white.

From an angle it does indeed look blue.

KLFloyd
May 26, 2003, 12:13 PM
Here we go again...Following on last week's story about the possibility of two different models of the new 3rd Generation iPods, there is again discussion about this going on in the Apple User Forums.

Honestly, I think I'm starting to believe there are two versions of the iPod out there.

Here are the links to the discussions:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@63.kkkcap6hmTl.1439074@.3bc32f79

and

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@63.kkkcap6hmTl.1439078@.3bc2d6c7

tribalogical
May 27, 2003, 12:42 PM
just got my new 15Gb iPod a couple of days ago.

It's my first, so nothing to compare it to, other than a friend's older 5Gb...

my screen, indoors or out, under flourescent or 'regular' lights, whether light or (mostly) dark, is "white"...

turn on the backlight (same varied conditions) it is distinctly blue-tinted. Not *blue* like that photo above, but, uh, blue-ish? Definitely headed in that direction anyway...

Definitely blue. It is somewhat different than the white screen I remember from my friend's 5Gb version.

Is it BETTER? Well, I don't know... It came out of the box with the contrast set to about 40%, but the screen was quite dark. To get a reasonable balance (and the LCD "shadows" out), I have to lower contrast to about 5%... meaning it's almost off altogether.

It's my first iPod, and I'm deeply impressed, regardless of whether it's supposed to be blue or not. So far it all seems to be working properly...

Any way to tell if it's a "version 2" iPod?

I bought here in Tokyo last Saturday...

tribalogical

RLB
May 28, 2003, 08:51 AM
Any way to tell if it's a "version 2" iPod?

I bought here in Tokyo last Saturday...

There is no such thing as a version 2 ipod. Apple's specs say that the backlight is a white LED. Furthermore the color that white LEDs emit can vary a bit and their perceived color can appear different under different types of light. If that is not enough, digital camera's have different settings which can make the ipod backlight look blue/purpleish. With that said enjoy your new ipod. Apple will make it very clear when a different version is released.

tribalogical
Jun 14, 2003, 11:01 PM
As I am now an "official" witness... :p

There definitely ARE two versions out there... I have seen them myself, live, side-by-side.

The day I bought my iPod, I hooked up with a friend who manages a pro music shop... he ogled, oohed, and ahhed, and said he had to get one... I recommended the same 15Gb as a good median...

The next week or so he bought one. Identical model to mine, a 15Gb iPod.

A couple of days ago, we hooked up again at his store, whipped out our iPods, and started comparing notes about settings, what we had in our respective music libraries, etc...

Then being curious about THIS topic, we both flicked on the backlights, and LO AND BEHOLD! Mine was distinctly and clearly BLUE, and his absolutely wasn't. It was the same "white" as the normal screen, but lit...

And in comparison, the "blue version" definitely lit brighter, more clearly, etc.

We noticed a distinct difference in the overall screen clarity, backlit or not... with the blue screen being unquestionably the better of the two.

We spent a little time tweaking contrast, etc. to make sure it wasn't a settings thing, but in the end, he was sighing and wishing he had my version... we agreed it looked better, cooler, more readable, especially in low light backlit (yeah, we even went into the stock room and compared backlights in low-light conditions)... It turned into quite a thing. First under flourescents, non-flourescent, then outside under natural light... no matter, same result.

So, this definitively answers the question. There ARE two versions. Probably more than one manufacturing source, using slightly different components...

There ya go! Hope you can find the BLUE version, cos it's definitely a clearer, cooler, and superior display. :)

peace,

tribalogical

iJon
Jun 14, 2003, 11:07 PM
very interesting, thanks for the heads up.

iJon

madforrit
Jun 18, 2003, 03:19 AM
got my 15gig two weeks ago...

my gf got a 15gig today...

same apple store...

i have them side by side cuz i'm syncing them both from my computer and lo and behold, she's got the cooler, clearer backlight and mine is whiter. i can post a pic if anyone wants.

--mad :mad:

TheT
Jan 7, 2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by tribalogical
As I am now an "official" witness... :p

There definitely ARE two versions out there... I have seen them myself, live, side-by-side.

The day I bought my iPod, I hooked up with a friend who manages a pro music shop... he ogled, oohed, and ahhed, and said he had to get one... I recommended the same 15Gb as a good median...

The next week or so he bought one. Identical model to mine, a 15Gb iPod.

A couple of days ago, we hooked up again at his store, whipped out our iPods, and started comparing notes about settings, what we had in our respective music libraries, etc...

Then being curious about THIS topic, we both flicked on the backlights, and LO AND BEHOLD! Mine was distinctly and clearly BLUE, and his absolutely wasn't. It was the same "white" as the normal screen, but lit...

And in comparison, the "blue version" definitely lit brighter, more clearly, etc.

We noticed a distinct difference in the overall screen clarity, backlit or not... with the blue screen being unquestionably the better of the two.

We spent a little time tweaking contrast, etc. to make sure it wasn't a settings thing, but in the end, he was sighing and wishing he had my version... we agreed it looked better, cooler, more readable, especially in low light backlit (yeah, we even went into the stock room and compared backlights in low-light conditions)... It turned into quite a thing. First under flourescents, non-flourescent, then outside under natural light... no matter, same result.

So, this definitively answers the question. There ARE two versions. Probably more than one manufacturing source, using slightly different components...

There ya go! Hope you can find the BLUE version, cos it's definitely a clearer, cooler, and superior display. :)

peace,

tribalogical
Hey, I found a way old thread discussing what I just found out! :D Execpt I'm the one with the bad white display... so, my question, if anyone can remember: I know I heard Steve say that the new iPods would have better displays, I just can't find the stream on apple.com... could anyone help me find proof for this? I'm pissed off I didn't get what they claimed would be in this new product...

iJon
Jan 7, 2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by TheT
Hey, I found a way old thread discussing what I just found out! :D Execpt I'm the one with the bad white display... so, my question, if anyone can remember: I know I heard Steve say that the new iPods would have better displays, I just can't find the stream on apple.com... could anyone help me find proof for this? I'm pissed off I didn't get what they claimed would be in this new product...
umm, even if you did find it and he did say those exact words it wouldnt matter. he said better displays, not blue instead of crappy white ones. ive used both models frequently, blue is nicer looking but they both light up at night, be happy with what you have cause apple isnt going to care that you are mad, cause they did nothing wrong.

iJon

TheT
Jan 7, 2004, 11:07 AM
umm, even if you did find it and he did say those exact words it wouldnt matter. he said better displays, not blue instead of crappy white ones. ive used both models frequently, blue is nicer looking but they both light up at night, be happy with what you have cause apple isnt going to care that you are mad, cause they did nothing wrong.

iJon
Well, my point is: He said better displays. I don't care about blue or white, it doesn't matter, you're right. But what does matter is the fact that the old (white) ones in the 3G models are not at any point better than the 1G displays. Did you ever see a new next to an old display? There is a huge difference, and if I'm indeed right and Steve even said it, Apple (well, Steve being Apple) did something wrong; he promised something that isn't true.

g30ffr3y
Jan 7, 2004, 12:05 PM
i have experience with the two different ipods... i bought my first 30 gig one at best buy and the backlight was definately white... the ipod would not complete a charge and constantly froze my mac... i took it back and the replacement definately had a blueish screen and works fine... the white backlight ipods are just defects...

iJon
Jan 7, 2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by g30ffr3y
i have experience with the two different ipods... i bought my first 30 gig one at best buy and the backlight was definately white... the ipod would not complete a charge and constantly froze my mac... i took it back and the replacement definately had a blueish screen and works fine... the white backlight ipods are just defects...
oh so your ipod accounts for them all. i have a white and it has worked perfectly since the day i bought. same with all my friends. yours was a defect, not the white ones in general

iJon

TheT
Jan 7, 2004, 12:58 PM
oh so your ipod accounts for them all. i have a white and it has worked perfectly since the day i bought. same with all my friends. yours was a defect, not the white ones in general

iJon
lol :) That sounds funny... imagine someone telling you "The white iPods are all defects"... would the person go out and buy a colored iPod mini then? Hey, we found a way to sell them!
No, seriously though, you're right, my iPod works, it's just that it doesn't work as promised.

g30ffr3y
Jan 7, 2004, 01:12 PM
i think the white ipods are all defects actually... i think the ipod is meant to have a blue hue to its backlight... i think the white light is just a sign that eventually if not already you will have problems... there is no reason apple would have two mysterious ipods... c'mon...

TheT
Jan 7, 2004, 01:24 PM
i think the white ipods are all defects actually... i think the ipod is meant to have a blue hue to its backlight... i think the white light is just a sign that eventually if not already you will have problems... there is no reason apple would have two mysterious ipods... c'mon...
That is just wrong. There are 2 companies who produce the displays... well the old one and the new one. That hard to understand?

iJon
Jan 7, 2004, 01:35 PM
haha ok, your wrong again. anyways, apple used two different companies to supply the blacklights, thats all.

iJon

g30ffr3y
Jan 7, 2004, 01:47 PM
snap... wow... ouch... either way i have the blue one now, it works great, i love it... didnt mean to get everyones panties in a knot... i still would instantly return an ipod with a white screen...

iJon
Jan 7, 2004, 02:05 PM
snap... wow... ouch... either way i have the blue one now, it works great, i love it... didnt mean to get everyones panties in a knot... i still would instantly return an ipod with a white screen...
well that goes to show how quick you are to judge without knowing the facts. it like returning a car cause you think its defected cause it came with halogen bulbs instead of xenon, has nothing to do with the ipod, but think what you like, ill just sit back and chuckle, as well as the store you try to return it to.

iJon

bryng
Jan 7, 2004, 02:40 PM
This does match with an issue I had with my 40gb iPod. I went through three 40 giggers in about a week after Apple supplied a faulty "ipod-killer" cable with my iPod.

(It took a second failed iPod to point to the cable as the culrpit)

The screens on the first and third iPods were a nice shade of blue, and certainly seemed to me to be crisper than the screen on iPod number 2, which was a very standard-looking black and white (much like I had on my previous 10 gb model).

This wasn't an effect of the angle I was using the iPod at, as I had a reasonable play with all three.

I think there probably are two screens out there, but I wouldn't vouch for higher-resolution. The blue does seem to add a little sharpness to the image, but that may just be an effect produced by the luverly colour. :o)

g30ffr3y
Jan 7, 2004, 02:56 PM
ill just sit back and chuckle, as well as the store you try to return it to.

they returned it without issue... most anything can be returned with a little ingenuity... ill just sit back and enjoy my nice blue ipod screen... thanks...

iJon
Jan 7, 2004, 03:38 PM
ill just sit back and chuckle, as well as the store you try to return it to.

they returned it without issue... most anything can be returned with a little ingenuity... ill just sit back and enjoy my nice blue ipod screen... thanks...
well thats good, nothing wrong with wanting to be satisfied with your product. i was just clearly staing that there are 2 screens out there, although i believe all of them are blue now, but whites are not defective, just another color, and i just thought i was humorous you would account your ipod for all the million sold last year. ive worked with tons of ipods in the past 2 years, and your broken white ipod is in the minority, and not screen specific.

iJon

Xero
Jan 8, 2004, 04:25 AM
well, a bit before thanksgiving i bought a 30gb iPod, and then i got to compare it with my sisters 15gb iPod, which she bought before i bought mine. the screen on mine was def. a lot more blue, and brighter, althought i didnt look at them side by side, so im not sure about the sharpness... but the two screens were def. a lot different in color and brightness.

evil
Jan 8, 2004, 10:31 AM
i have had 2 different 3rd gen ipods....and they were actually different.

the first one i bought right when the 3rd gen came out and the second one was a replacement for the original one. I recieved it about a month ago. The screen on the new one IS different than the other one i had. The other one was noticeably more white and the lighting was more even. The new one does a blueish hue to it in certain lighting, while the previous one did not have any hint of blue in it at all, under any lighting. Other than the difference in the lighting i have noticed no other difference.

if i remember correctly the difference in screens was noticed a few months ago in a thread.

Edot
Jan 8, 2004, 12:30 PM
In the MWSF Keynote the iPod mini seems to have a blue back light when Steve holds one in his hand.

irmongoose
Jan 11, 2004, 05:20 AM
Man, this is old news.

Yes, there are two screens. One white, one blue.

Here is a picture from PRWMusic.com that shows the difference.

http://www.prwmusic.com/misc/ipod/dark-big.jpg

This picture doesn't show the difference in sharpness, but, having witnessed both screens side by side, the Blue one is definitely sharper.

I thought of returning my White one... but then I figured out... it's a rarity! :D
(Just trying to make myself feel better...)

Anyways, my iPod has no defects, unless you call the white screen a "defect".

irmongoose

Xero
Jan 12, 2004, 02:47 AM
yeah i thought this was old news too...:confused:

but, on a side note, my battery indicator looks different than both of those iPods. its a solid bar as opposed to the 4 sections. although im pretty sure this was just changed with the most recent 3G iPod software.

irmongoose
Jan 12, 2004, 06:21 AM
Yeah, that's an older shot. The new firmware, from version 2.1, has the solid battery icon. The 3G iPods originally came with version 2.0, and was with 2.0 for about 2 months until Apple released 2.1.

irmongoose