PDA

View Full Version : More Leopard Screenshots, Details Emerging?

MacRumors
Jan 26, 2007, 02:11 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Fresh off the heels of the latest Leopard screenshot leak (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/24/mac-os-x-10-5-leopard-9a343-screenshots/) are new shots (mirrored via Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/leaked-pt-2-os-x-leopard-spotlight-quickview-231596.php)) showing some of Leopard's latest Safari and QuickView tricks. Credit once again to BabyGotMac for the original posting of the screenshots (although the site has once again gone down under the load).

Also out today is word from LoopRumors claiming to have inside information on some of Leopard's "Top Secret" features (http://www.looprumors.com/article.php?leopards-top-secret-features-to-wow-audiences,667985494). According to the site, AppleTV integration is a "certainty", with AppleTV reportedly able to remotely display a Leopard-based Mac's desktop remotely on an HDTV. (Ed Note: similar screen-sharing technology has been previewed in Leopard's version of iChat AV).

Also of note, LoopRumors has claimed that Steve's iPhone demonstration may have been hiding one application (http://www.looprumors.com/article.php?iphone-mystery-application) that was "too buggy" to show at the time. The site indicates in its most recent posting that this application may have some ties to Leopard to further entice "switchers."

DMann
Jan 26, 2007, 02:13 PM
We'll likely see the most impressive of them a week before release...

longofest
Jan 26, 2007, 02:14 PM
The screen sharing thing would be nice for presentations, etc

iomar
Jan 26, 2007, 02:14 PM
Wow, pretty interesting ... it looks great.. can't wait for Leopard!

briantology
Jan 26, 2007, 02:15 PM

Yea, that would be pretty cool. Even just the whole idea of showing a friend what your doing.

Darkroom
Jan 26, 2007, 02:19 PM
i really hope 10.5 will support the old iSub... but i'm sure it wont :-(... would love to take it out of the closet, dust it off, and annoy my neighbors with my loud mac.

siurpeeman
Jan 26, 2007, 02:24 PM
i think ichat being the "mystery app" on the iphone makes most sense. but would it have been that buggy to showcase at macworld? what else could it be?

patseguin
Jan 26, 2007, 02:26 PM
Still not hearing anything that makes me overly excited about Leopard...

Bonte
Jan 26, 2007, 02:27 PM
Although Apple offers the iPhone for both PC and Macs, some Leopard specific features are said to be installed in the iPhone, to help 'switch' users to the Macintosh platform.

I can see only one solution for this, when the iPhone gets more important than the Mac its inevitable that osX Leopard will be made available for PC's for compatibility reasons. Luring Windows users into changing computers is a lot harder than run a second OS on there current machine.

VanMac
Yea, that would be pretty cool. Even just the whole idea of showing a friend what your doing.

Very much so. My home office in the basement opens up into rec room with HDTV. Would be great to push info out to that screen.

killmoms
I can't see them wanting to tie a consumer electronics device, especially one like a phone, to the Mac. At least, not anymore, after the huge success of the iPod on Windows.

SpaceMagic
Jan 26, 2007, 02:30 PM
I am excited, but I'm getting bored of waiting to see these top secret features...

I don't really see the benefits of screen sharing via the :apple: TV

L3X
Jan 26, 2007, 02:32 PM
i can see Apple incorporating video chat into the iPhone...talking with others on their iPhone as you can see each other or talking with someone at home on their mac with their isight while talking on your iphone.

there wasn't video capabilities on the phone Jobs had, but they never said they weren't going to put that in there before it's release.

Boxer
Jan 26, 2007, 02:32 PM
I'm excited for it. Any idea of when it will be out? I have not kept up on it at all.

holycow
Jan 26, 2007, 02:35 PM
I doubt the secret feature is iChat since the camera is on the back of the phone. I mean, I don't really see how that could work...

Peace
Jan 26, 2007, 02:37 PM
I doubt the secret feature is iChat since the camera is on the back of the phone. I mean, I don't really see how that could work...

Apple may well have put the camera on the back temporarily just to throw people off.Meaning come June the camera is actually on the front.
What they showed was a prototype. ;)

toomuchrock
Jan 26, 2007, 02:37 PM
Umm what in Leopard makes me want it? Umm not sure. Did I read that it supported read/write to NTFS? That'd be nice for my Bootcamp partition I guess.

Mostly I want an iLife update that makes iCal Outlook/Exchange compatible and and iMail that doesn't keep loosing my signatures. Leopard be damned, iLife better represent. Oh yeah and give me my QT Margins back in iMovie.

You know, I have been a mac zealot since my IIci, but I'd love to see a couple of windows niceties thrown in. The uninstall option in Windows is far superior to our hunt and delete (or third party tool) options. And having Remote Desktop (for a single user) enabled would make my life so much easier. I haven't paid for the Apple solution and the VNC solutions seem so daunting that I haven't bothered. Also I need to hunt for a contextual menu so I can right click (ahem) and choose cut on a file instead of copying and pasting and then going back and deleting. Surely someone has that for me. But yeah that's about all in the Windows world that I miss on my Mac.

nitynate
Jan 26, 2007, 02:39 PM
All gone.
:(

R.Youden
Jan 26, 2007, 02:47 PM
Umm what in Leopard makes me want it? Umm not sure. Did I read that it supported read/write to NTFS? That'd be nice for my Bootcamp partition I guess.

Mostly I want an iLife update that makes iCal Outlook/Exchange compatible and and iMail that doesn't keep loosing my signatures. Leopard be damned, iLife better represent. Oh yeah and give me my QT Margins back in iMovie.

You know, I have been a mac zealot since my IIci, but I'd love to see a couple of windows niceties thrown in. The uninstall option in Windows is far superior to our hunt and delete (or third party tool) options. And having Remote Desktop (for a single user) enabled would make my life so much easier. I haven't paid for the Apple solution and the VNC solutions seem so daunting that I haven't bothered. Also I need to hunt for a contextual menu so I can right click (ahem) and choose cut on a file instead of copying and pasting and then going back and deleting. Surely someone has that for me. But yeah that's about all in the Windows world that I miss on my Mac.

For remote desktop on two machines within the same network you can use Chicken on the VNC (http://www.geekspiff.com/software/cotvnc/). Fantastic app and works really well. Give it a go :)

bbydon
Jan 26, 2007, 02:52 PM
Apple may well have put the camera on the back temporarily just to throw people off.Meaning come June the camera is actually on the front.
What they showed was a prototype. ;)

Dont you have to see what you are taking a picture of?

mainstreetmark
Jan 26, 2007, 03:00 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Also of note, LoopRumors has claimed that Steve's iPhone demonstration may have been hiding one application (http://www.looprumors.com/article.php?iphone-mystery-application) that was "too buggy" to show at the time. The site indicates in its most recent posting that this application may have some ties to Leopard to further entice "switchers."

That's plausable. It could certainly use one more application to "balance" it out a bit better:

http://images.apple.com/iphone/images/indexhero20070109.jpg

kalisphoenix
Jan 26, 2007, 03:00 PM
They're going to integrate OS X with the :apple: TV and the iPhone?

Dammit, there went my chance at starting a profitable third-party software company :mad: :mad: :mad:

FreeState
Jan 26, 2007, 03:03 PM
i think ichat being the "mystery app" on the iphone makes most sense. but would it have been that buggy to showcase at macworld? what else could it be?

I think there are more than one coming and my guesses are:

1) Wiki App
2) News Wiki
3) Chat (not with video - that will be some time down the road)
4) iWork app integration

and many more possibilities....

(Edit to add I think there will be 5 apps that were not shown)

Plymouthbreezer
Jan 26, 2007, 03:03 PM
Looking good. I will be upgrading my iMac G4 when it's out. Hopefully it will run this update just fine.

longofest
Jan 26, 2007, 03:09 PM
i really hope 10.5 will support the old iSub... but i'm sure it wont :-(... would love to take it out of the closet, dust it off, and annoy my neighbors with my loud mac.

Doesn't 10.4 support the iSub? I know it at least supports SoundSticks, and they are very similar.

intlplby
Jan 26, 2007, 03:10 PM
i would love it if they introduced the phone as Mac only for one month.....

that way those PC users that absolutely must have the device need to switch or wait a month

theman5725
Jan 26, 2007, 03:13 PM
Screen mirroring with :apple: TV would be a solid feature. I still want a new UI though.

macintel4me
Jan 26, 2007, 03:19 PM
Screen mirroring with :apple:TV would be a solid feature. ...
Why?? Why is it useful? Tryiing to navigate the web with that little IR remote would be simply awful.

Thomas421
Jan 26, 2007, 03:23 PM
the iphone is the remote ;)

p0intblank
Jan 26, 2007, 03:27 PM
Sounds great! :D I can't wait!

MrFrankly
Jan 26, 2007, 03:50 PM
I'm getting a little bit tired of those Apple sites coming with 'news' which is clearly made up or just totally obvious non-information.

If you break down the message most of it is just obvious or feels like it has been made up on the spot.

You can stream your Mac OS X interface to your television using Apple TV. Even if this wouldn't be an official feature at time of release I bet it would be quite easy to accomplish. Sending movies or your direct screen output...they're all bit and bytes. Not a very hard to guess bit of 'information'.

iChat will get video away messages. For a voice and video chat application that would be a logical step, and again an easy guess.

The iPhone will use Leopard functionality and Leopard will have iPhone features. Jobs already said that the phone has core animation so, again, it's an easy guess that some things in the iPhone will rely on Leopard and vica versa.

I thought it was already pretty obvious that Steve Jobs didn't show all the applications from the iPhone. So the 'mystery' application can be anything he didn't show. The camera application, he didn't show it. So it's a mystery to me. Again not really a ground-breaking bit of information.

PygmySurfer
Jan 26, 2007, 03:53 PM
I can see only one solution for this, when the iPhone gets more important than the Mac its inevitable that osX Leopard will be made available for PC's for compatibility reasons. Luring Windows users into changing computers is a lot harder than run a second OS on there current machine.

Keep dreaming... :rolleyes:

Rocketman
Jan 26, 2007, 04:04 PM
I have been posting on iPhone (ATN) for months now.

One comment made in the article referenced is that iChat would not enable the video aspect since the camera is on the reverse of the device.

FLIP IT AROUND for full send emphasis video conferencing, and where practical, have it mirror on your HDTV or computer. Stand in front of a mirror? :) Final release version has the SCREEN capture images and scan documents?!

As I posted a long time ago folks are now realizing this could be a super remote control. It could be a skype phone via 802.11 b/g/n. And soon a skype videophone and Skype Joos sling-tv like device/service.

Rocketman

longofest
Jan 26, 2007, 04:04 PM
I'm getting a little bit tired of those Apple sites coming with 'news' which is clearly made up or just totally obvious non-information.

If you break down the message most of it is just obvious or feels like it has been made up on the spot.

You can stream your Mac OS X interface to your television using Apple TV. Even if this wouldn't be an official feature at time of release I bet it would be quite easy to accomplish. Sending movies or your direct screen output...they're all bit and bytes. Not a very hard to guess bit of 'information'.

iChat will get video away messages. For a voice and video chat application that would be a logical step, and again an easy guess.

The iPhone will use Leopard functionality and Leopard will have iPhone features. Jobs already said that the phone has core animation so, again, it's an easy guess that some things in the iPhone will rely on Leopard and vica versa.

I thought it was already pretty obvious that Steve Jobs didn't show all the applications from the iPhone. So the 'mystery' application can be anything he didn't show. The camera application, he didn't show it. So it's a mystery to me. Again not really a ground-breaking bit of information.

When you speculate as to what Apple could do, if you're pretty good at your speculation, you MAYBE have a 30% chance of your predictions coming true.

If you have an inside source, even with the false reports, you have a much better chance of making accurate predictions.

In the case of LoopRumors, we used to think like you did: We used to think that they were just making stuff up. But then they nailed a lot of the iPhone specifics. They clearly have their source(s). Time will tell how accurate they are in the broad scheme of things.

justflie
Jan 26, 2007, 04:10 PM
In the case of LoopRumors, we used to think like you did: We used to think that they were just making stuff up. But then they nailed a lot of the iPhone specifics. They clearly have their source(s). Time will tell how accurate they are in the broad scheme of things.

Agreed. They've been hitting plenty of rumors on the head or darn close to it recently. I've been paying more attention to their posts (especially the "wow the audience with leopard" article). And besides, they have a very nice widget too. :)

paradillon
Jan 26, 2007, 04:11 PM
The HDTV market place is just screaming for apple to come in and provide the solution for the tormented and confused HDTV consumer like they did for the mp3 player consumer! Front Row, apple TV and all. Get it going apple, bring out the large screen HDTV panels. Don't blow the timing and miss the opportunity.

QuarterSwede
Jan 26, 2007, 04:12 PM
Not sure what's new (besides the filter added to Spotlight search window). All the other shots look like what you can do in Tiger's Slideshow as it is.

kamera
Jan 26, 2007, 04:14 PM

Everything is bits and bytes, but streaming requires this additional step of Compression. For movies, and stuff... the files are usually already compressed into MPEG streams. For Desktop & Screencasting... the compression needs to happen in real-time and its not a simple frame by frame transfer over the network. Although, it could be delivered full-framed uncompressed 1080i on a local 802.11n network... for iChat screen sharing, you need to compress it.

And I hope apple is actually talking about streaming screen over the network and not just another VNC app.

If this is in fact a real feature in leopard... it's a great feature. Maybe all that resolution independence features built into the OS makes this possible.

Anyway, about the excitement factor. I agree. Nothing in that post excites me very much. I think they are just trying to get site hits at loop rumors with vapor news that any tom, dick, and harry can steam up.

sam10685
Jan 26, 2007, 04:21 PM

true. maybe the screen is a camera. wasn't there a patent filing a while ago where all the pixels in a thing are tiny camera's that work together to make one big one. (don't flame me too hard if i'm wrong.)

Bonte
Jan 26, 2007, 04:22 PM
Keep dreaming... :rolleyes:
Back in the days Steve wanted to license os6 and now Apple is going to make a lot more money on the iPhone than it will ever do on Mac computers so why am i dreaming? Sooner or later they will have to license FairPlay and osX to other hardware makers and the combination Leopard/iPhone seems to me like a good opportunity. :cool: :)

Porchland
Jan 26, 2007, 04:26 PM
I can't see them wanting to tie a consumer electronics device, especially one like a phone, to the Mac. At least, not anymore, after the huge success of the iPod on Windows.

I like the carrot-and-stick approach: Make it work with PC, but hold a few things back that only work with Mac.

I would actually like to see Apple draw people over the Mac by pushing a few more things out for PC that will entice them over.

* iChat on every platform;

* some special Mac only (or Mac first) content on iTS;

* a free and very stripped down iPhoto app for Windows with an easy and online way for you to eventually move all your photos to Mac;

* similar migration (or licensed new downloads) of Windows iTS content to Mac iTunes;

* tighter integration to Exchange.

Adobe75
Jan 26, 2007, 04:28 PM
The screen display through AppleTV looks very exciting. However, I would more like to have a solution to play my HD archive from EyeTV 2 through the AppleTV or have it act as AirTunes speakers. What if I don't want to turn on my projector to play music in my theater?
The issue with getting HD streams from EyeTV 2 is 1) bandwidth and 2) the ability of the AppleTV's hardware and software to decode such stream. That's all assuming ElGato can get the EyeTV library to appear as a source to AppleTV. Don't think I'm gonna convert my whole HD library to iTunes - not possible.

dashiel
Jan 26, 2007, 04:33 PM

don't forget apple did file a patent a few years ago for a screen that not only displayed images, but could actually record them like a camera. i would put the chances of that happening on the first gen iphone at approximately 1 to 1 billion, but you never know.

killmoms
Jan 26, 2007, 04:33 PM
Everything is bits and bytes, but streaming requires this additional step of Compression. For movies, and stuff... the files are usually already compressed into MPEG streams. For Desktop & Screencasting... the compression needs to happen in real-time and its not a simple frame by frame transfer over the network. Although, it could be delivered full-framed uncompressed 1080i on a local 802.11n network... for iChat screen sharing, you need to compress it.

No, you cannot deliver full-frame uncompressed 1080i on an 802.11n network. You can't even transfer 1280 x 720 (about the size of a MacBook's screen) at 24 frames per second uncompressed over a local 802.11n network. You could conceivably do the latter on gig-E, maybe (it would require ~500Mbit/s). 802.11n is significantly slower than this.

If this feature is in Leopard, either some form of compression will be employed, or the frame rate will be low, or both.

dernhelm
Jan 26, 2007, 04:37 PM
I love the fact that the main thing that would lead people to believe that there is some special super secret "mystery" app that they've developed but weren't read to show is the fact that there was room for one more icon on the last row.

I'm starting a new rumor here and now - the iPhone has been limited to run no more than 16 apps, since that is all that will fit on the front screen of the device.

:rolleyes:

puuukeey
Jan 26, 2007, 04:37 PM
theres a ***** ton of things apple *could* do with itv. but they wont because they are so damned proprietary. so sorry rest of the world. no open standard use itms or nothing at all.

goodbye bliptv google video, gootube, flickr, etc etc.

Porchland
Jan 26, 2007, 04:39 PM
The HDTV market place is just screaming for apple to come in and provide the solution for the tormented and confused HDTV consumer like they did for the mp3 player consumer!

The satellite and cable carriers need to be VERY afraid of what Apple is capable of doing in the HDTV space.

With the TV titles they have now and no more hardware than a computer and Apple TV, a tiered content subscription deal could steal 20 percent of satellite/cable's market share in 3-5 years -- and high-end users that spend a lot of money on HD, PPV movies, DVRs, etc. -- and give the networks a precise, measurable market of young, high-income consumers.

Porchland
Jan 26, 2007, 04:45 PM
theres a ***** ton of things apple *could* do with itv. but they wont because they are so damned proprietary. so sorry rest of the world. no open standard use itms or nothing at all.

Boo-effing-hoo. Go buy a Zune.

Open systems aren't better because they're open. Content, ease of use, and "it" factor are what make consumer electronics go -- not open standards.

Stridder44
Jan 26, 2007, 04:48 PM

That's the one thing I love to hate. USB powered sub = worst idea ever. I've had more obscure problems with mine than I'd like to care, but it sure can sound nice when it works right. Mine started to make a high pitched noise now whenever it's plugged in, so I retired it.

And again, can't wait to see LEOPARD'S NEW UI/FINDER.....

SpaceJello
Jan 26, 2007, 04:48 PM
Why?? Why is it useful? Tryiing to navigate the web with that little IR remote would be simply awful.

There have been rumors of using the Nintendo DS's touch capabilities and linking that with the Nintendo Wii in future games...

I wonder if you can do that with the iPhone and Apple TV and a Big HDTV?

Stridder44
Jan 26, 2007, 04:49 PM

And who's to say they won't change that later? Web browsing perhaps? Hello googlevideo, hello youtube, hello flickr, etc etc.

SpaceJello
Jan 26, 2007, 04:51 PM
The satellite and cable carriers need to be VERY afraid of what Apple is capable of doing in the HDTV space.

With the TV titles they have now and no more hardware than a computer and Apple TV, a tiered content subscription deal could steal 20 percent of satellite/cable's market share in 3-5 years -- and high-end users that spend a lot of money on HD, PPV movies, DVRs, etc. -- and give the networks a precise, measurable market of young, high-income consumers.

I for one am waiting for that day. I can't wait to ditch cable subscriptions, I don't spend enough time to warrent paying so much for basic cable with like 90% of the channels i will never turn to. Now who wants to watch shows about how to groom your cats all day?

Anyone think there would be linkage between iPhone, Leopard and iWork/iLife? I wish this is the "big secret".

Thanatoast
Jan 26, 2007, 04:57 PM
I'm hoping for a "sling"-type app, where I can pull down content stored on my computer over the internet. 8 gigs isn't so much of a problem when you've got your entire library available at any wireless access point.

justflie
Jan 26, 2007, 05:16 PM
I'm hoping for a "sling"-type app, where I can pull down content stored on my computer over the internet. 8 gigs isn't so much of a problem when you've got your entire library available at any wireless access point.

ooooooh. good idea!

SiliconAddict
Jan 26, 2007, 05:27 PM
Hmm better be more then :apple: TV integration. Otherwise Jobs threw out a load of BS on stage. Because MS has no equivalent to iTV other then Media Center PC which isn't the same since its already a total integrated device vs. Apple half [bleeped] approach.
we'll see.

bretm
Jan 26, 2007, 05:29 PM

Not with the new iMirror phone adapter!

elppa
Jan 26, 2007, 05:32 PM

Dammit, there went my chance at starting a profitable third-party software company :mad: :mad: :mad:

:D

That gave me a good laugh.

egdiroh
Jan 26, 2007, 05:36 PM
I love the fact that the main thing that would lead people to believe that there is some special super secret "mystery" app that they've developed but weren't read to show is the fact that there was room for one more icon on the last row.

I'm starting a new rumor here and now - the iPhone has been limited to run no more than 16 apps, since that is all that will fit on the front screen of the device.

:rolleyes:

So I guess you wouldn't believe that there are 4 secret system preference panes that have yet to be revealed in 10.4 because there are that many free spots for icons?

Multimedia
Jan 26, 2007, 05:39 PM
If I could run QT Movies from the finder without needing to import them to iTunes first, that would make AppleTV much more attractive to me. While I am archiving new mp4 files of TV shows every few hours daily, importing them into iTunes is not part of my routine. I prefer to amass them in the finder of huge 300-400GB HDs. :D :eek:

Aeolius
Jan 26, 2007, 05:39 PM
Apple may well have put the camera on the back temporarily just to throw people off.

Encourage people to videochat while driving? I don't see it. Add a bluetooth iSight camera built into the earpiece, so people can see what you are seeing... now THAT has promise.

MacEdit
Jan 26, 2007, 05:44 PM
as for the mystery app... is everyone forgetting about what was found inside the code of itunes 7? the thread about syncing games to your mobile phone. I really find it hard to believe that apple is going to release a phone with no games... or even more, not take an opportunity to sell more games from the itunes store.
My money is on games for a mystery app (if there even is one)

plucas
Jan 26, 2007, 05:45 PM
Where are the Safari screenshots mentioned in the article?

Cougarcat
Jan 26, 2007, 05:45 PM
If I could run QT Movies from the finder without needing to import them to iTunes first, that would make AppleTV much more attractive to me. While I am archiving new mp4 files of TV shows every few hours daily, importing them into iTunes is not part of my routine. I prefer to amass them in the finder of huge 300-400GB HDs. :D :eek:

You'll be able to do that with Quick Look.

EagerDragon
Jan 26, 2007, 06:02 PM

iCal is probably the bugyy one I guess, all he did at the presentation was show a glance of a month if I remember correctly.

mikeinternet
Jan 26, 2007, 06:31 PM
Not with the new iMirror phone adapter!

or how about just sticking another camera in there on the other side? all you'd need is another lens on the front and they could share the same 'insides'.

MacSA
Jan 26, 2007, 06:31 PM
Apple TV and iPhone eh? So these extra secret features are of no use unless you spend another 1000 on Apple hardware? :rolleyes:

Multimedia
Jan 26, 2007, 06:36 PM
You'll be able to do that with Quick Look.Quick Look (http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/spotlight.html) is briefly mentioned on the Leopard Spotlight page at the above link. What is that? What do you mean? Link? :eek: :confused:

Wonder where I can find a more detailed description of Quick Look?

APPLENEWBIE
Jan 26, 2007, 06:44 PM

Everyone has been complaining that the only media appleTV was going to be able to deliver to your TV was apple/iTunes media and maybe iphoto/imovie. But, if you can stream your entire desktop to the TV, EVERYTHING on the computer can come to the HDTV. Any ol' thing you have on the machine streamed to 60" of HDTV goodness... including eyetv/recorded shows... cable vendors... BEWARE... the times they are a'changin' (assuming this rumor is true, of course...):cool:

Another thing: this explains why appleTV has no inputs... doesnt' need them if everything comes in wirelessly. also explains why it has such a small hard drive and relatively small processing ability, I think...

Project
Jan 26, 2007, 06:57 PM
Quick Look (http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/spotlight.html) is briefly mentioned on the Leopard Spotlight page at the above link. What is that? What do you mean? Link? :eek: :confused:

Wonder where I can find a more detailed description of Quick Look?

Its like preview on steroids. You can 'preview' entire Keynote presentations with it for instance, before deciding whether to open it. Nice if you receive a presentation and dont need to open up Keynote or Powerpoint just to read it.

Quicklook also works in Time Machine, which is dope.

lazydog
Jan 26, 2007, 07:00 PM
If you can stream the desktop to AppleTV then how about also controlling it, ie effectively making the AppleTV a thin client. In this way you could have the Mac in one room and several 'terminals' around the house each with its own login session. You could then browse the web, write letters, play games etc from any 'terminal' in the house.

b e n

edit: maybe we'll all need 8 cores to handle what Apple has planned for the Mac!

Multimedia
Jan 26, 2007, 07:27 PM
Everyone has been complaining that the only media appleTV was going to be able to deliver to your TV was apple/iTunes media and maybe iphoto/imovie. But, if you can stream your entire desktop to the TV, EVERYTHING on the computer can come to the HDTV. Any ol' thing you have on the machine streamed to 60" of HDTV goodness... including eyetv/recorded shows... cable vendors... BEWARE... the times they are a'changin' (assuming this rumor is true, of course...):cool:

Another thing: this explains why appleTV has no inputs... doesnt' need them if everything comes in wirelessly. also explains why it has such a small hard drive and relatively small processing ability, I think...AppleTV has a T100 Ethernet Input. So the wireless connection is not required if you have the HDTV within Ethernet range of your Mac. :)

I wish Apple would develop a page on QuickLook instead of only mentioning it on the Spotlight page without showing us some screen shots. :(

APPLENEWBIE
Jan 26, 2007, 07:37 PM
I forgot about the ethernet input...

Another thought. Probably wishful thinking... On the Apple TV part of apple.com, you can see some of the stuff on it's interface: Movies, tv music, podcasts, photos, settings and sources. All of them are demonstrated, except sources. I wonder if one of the sources might be "my desktop" or something along those lines.

TomSmithMacEd
Jan 26, 2007, 07:38 PM
Well this is cool, if you have a new lcd tv you can use it as your monitor, wirelessly whenever you want. Sweet.

fluidinclusion
Jan 26, 2007, 07:57 PM
or how about just sticking another camera in there on the other side? all you'd need is another lens on the front and they could share the same 'insides'.

:) The tiny webcams are VERY cheap, especially compared to the cost of the phone and the fact that to TRULY be an internet communicator, videoconferencing is required!

APPLENEWBIE
Jan 26, 2007, 08:00 PM
I note on the appleTV site also that the heading says "what's on TV? Anything you want." It does not have a limiting statement like "anything you want, as long as it is iphoto, imovie or itunes based."

Also, just wondering, I never messed with TV-on-Computer when I was in the windows world. Is eyeTV and whatever TV options there are for mac as good as what is available for windows boxes?

Multimedia
Jan 26, 2007, 08:02 PM
I forgot about the ethernet input...

Another thought. Probably wishful thinking... On the Apple TV part of apple.com, you can see some of the stuff on it's interface: Movies, tv music, podcasts, photos, settings and sources. All of them are demonstrated, except sources. I wonder if one of the sources might be "my desktop" or something along those lines.I just got my Samsung 40" HDTV and immediately hooked it up to my Quad G5 with a DVI to VGA adapter from one of my 4 video ports - saved me the cost of a DVI to HDMI cable and keeps both HDMI inputs on the set free for other peripherals. Bought the $450 ATI G5 Radeon X1900 card - only one PCIe slot wide - in December just so I could ROTATE a 1600 x 1200 20" Dell 90° and put it left of my 2560 x 1600 30" so they're both the same height. Then, with the NVIDIA GeForce 6600 that came with my Quad G5, I drive my 24" 1920 x 1200 24" Dell to the right of the 30" and then the 1920 x 1080 40" Samsung to the right of that. If I add a $299 AppleTV I can use it to drive the Samsung 40" freeing up one of my NVIDIA DVI ports for a 5th screen - probably would make that one a HP 30" with 3 Dual Link DVI Ports so I can also use that monitor with the 8 core Mac Pro I'll be getting as soon as it ships.

So that's why I will probably buy an AppleTV module rather than the reason Apple thinks most will buy it. Can hook AppleTV to my Samsung with the analog component outputs (http://www.apple.com/appletv/connect.html) to keep both the VGA and dual HDMI inputs on the set free for more peripherals including my 8 core Dual Clovertown Mac Pro when it ships.

Wonder if AppleTV will simultaneously output the HDMI and analog component signals so I can drive a SECOND HDTV or 16:9 monitor from the SAME AppleTV module? If so, this would let you feed two HDTVs in both the living room AND the den or kitchen simultaneously. I've seen HDTVs as small as 20" for sale for as little as $399 now. I don't see what resolutions AppleTV will support on it's Tech Specs page. Curious. :eek: :confused:

Bottom line, AppleTV can be viewed as an inexpensive video card for a 16:9 monitor OR HDTV - your choice. :)

Peace
Jan 26, 2007, 08:05 PM
I just got my Samsung 40" HDTV and immediately hooked it up to my Quad G5 with a DVI to VGA adapter from one of my 4 video ports. Bought the $450 ATI G5 Radeon X1900 card - only one PCIe slot wide - in December just so I could ROTATE a 1600 x 1200 20" Dell 90 and put it left of my 2560 x 1600 30" so they're both the same height. Then, with the NVIDIA GeForce 6600 that came with my Quad G5, I drive my 24" 1920 x 1200 24" Dell to the right of the 30" and then the 1920 x 1080 40" Samsung to the right of that. If I add a $299 AppleTV I can use it to drive the Samsung 40" freeing up one of my NVIDIA DVI ports for a 5th screen - probably would make that one a HP 30" with 3 Dual Link DVI Ports so I can also use that monitor with the 8 core Mac Pro I'll be getting as soon as it ships.

So that's why I will probably buy an AppleTV module rather than the reason Apple thinks most will buy it.

Bottom line, AppleTV can be viewed as an inexpensive video card for a 1920 x 1080 monitor OR HDTV - your choice. :)

MAN.I'd like to see your setup Multimedia :-)

EricNau
Jan 26, 2007, 08:06 PM
So far, I'm not "wowed" ...at all.

Unless one of the 'Top Secret' features includes the ability to record & watch live TV on my mac, consider me disappointed.

chubad
Jan 26, 2007, 08:14 PM

:confused: I'm listing to music as I type through the iSub and a pair of Apple Pro speakers on 10.4. It is supported and works just fine.

Multimedia
Jan 26, 2007, 08:24 PM
I note on the appleTV site also that the heading says "what's on TV? Anything you want." It does not have a limiting statement like "anything you want, as long as it is iphoto, imovie or itunes based."

Also, just wondering, I never messed with TV-on-Computer when I was in the windows world. Is eyeTV and whatever TV options there are for mac as good as what is available for windows boxes?I am unfamiliar with PC based digital DVRs but I can attest that the EyeTV system for Mac is fantastic. I am only watching-recording digital TV any more. I have completely divested myself of all analog TV now. As far as I am concerned, analog TV is DEAD.

Tymmz
Jan 26, 2007, 08:50 PM

Me neither. But that's the thing. I had such a good experience with Apple that I believe they are going to pull something very nice on Leopard's release.

I really hope so. I think when it comes to personal computers, Apple knows what (most of the) people want and I'm an average user, I guess.

AidenShaw
Jan 26, 2007, 08:52 PM
Front Row, apple TV and all. Get it going apple, bring out the large screen HDTV panels. Don't blow the timing and miss the opportunity.

They already blew it with the feature set of the Apple TV.

720p ??? What about "True HD (1080p)" slogans that you see plastered all over the flat panel TV ads?

But, since Apple thinks that EDGE is good enough for the Apple Phone, that "Fake HD" is good enough for the Apple TV.

Tymmz
Jan 26, 2007, 09:00 PM
I just got my Samsung 40" HDTV and immediately hooked it up to my Quad G5 with a DVI to VGA adapter from one of my 4 video ports - saved me the cost of a DVI to HDMI cable and keeps both HDMI inputs on the set free for other peripherals. Bought the $450 ATI G5 Radeon X1900 card - only one PCIe slot wide - in December just so I could ROTATE a 1600 x 1200 20" Dell 90 and put it left of my 2560 x 1600 30" so they're both the same height. Then, with the NVIDIA GeForce 6600 that came with my Quad G5, I drive my 24" 1920 x 1200 24" Dell to the right of the 30" and then the 1920 x 1080 40" Samsung to the right of that. If I add a $299 AppleTV I can use it to drive the Samsung 40" freeing up one of my NVIDIA DVI ports for a 5th screen - probably would make that one a HP 30" with 3 Dual Link DVI Ports so I can also use that monitor with the 8 core Mac Pro I'll be getting as soon as it ships.

So that's why I will probably buy an AppleTV module rather than the reason Apple thinks most will buy it. Can hook AppleTV to my Samsung with the analog component outputs (http://www.apple.com/appletv/connect.html) to keep both the VGA and dual HDMI inputs on the set free for more peripherals including my 8 core Dual Clovertown Mac Pro when it ships.

Wonder if AppleTV will simultaneously output the HDMI and analog component signals so I can drive a SECOND HDTV or 16:9 monitor from the SAME AppleTV module? If so, this would let you feed two HDTVs in both the living room AND the den or kitchen simultaneously. I've seen HDTVs as small as 20" for sale for as little as $399 now. I don't see what resolutions AppleTV will support on it's Tech Specs page. Curious. :eek: :confused:

Bottom line, AppleTV can be viewed as an inexpensive video card for a 16:9 monitor OR HDTV - your choice. :)

why did you write all that text? don't get it.

AidenShaw
Jan 26, 2007, 09:04 PM
Because MS has no equivalent to iTV other then Media Center PC which isn't the same since its already a total integrated device vs. Apple half [bleeped] approach. we'll see.

Not sure if there's sarcasm here, because the Windows side has far more to offer than the "Fake HD" Apple TV.

The Apple TV is really no more than a low end "Media Center Extender" (MS) or "Digital Media Adapter (DMA)" (Intel ViiV).

There are *many* of these "set top PC connectors" available from Linksys, HP, Netgear, DLink, Buffalo and a few dozen other vendors. Most of them support all major video formats (except the Ipod video from the Itunes store), and some support "True HD".

Look at the HP "Media Smart" televisions recently introduced. It has a frickin' Ethernet port, and will *on*its*own* discover music, video and photo files on the home network and build a library from them.

You don't even need a tacky white plastic box next to the TV - just plug the Cat5 cable into the TV!

paradillon
Jan 26, 2007, 09:12 PM
They already blew it with the feature set of the Apple TV.

720p ??? What about "True HD (1080p)" slogans that you see plastered all over the flat panel TV ads?

But, since Apple thinks that EDGE is good enough for the Apple Phone, that "Fake HD" is good enough for the Apple TV.

I agree, I felt some disappointment about the 720p spec in the :apple: tv, but it is a first generation product and think it is more important to establish a foothold in this market segment quickly even if it means going with 720p over 1080.

siurpeeman
Jan 26, 2007, 09:13 PM
iCal is probably the bugyy one I guess, all he did at the presentation was show a glance of a month if I remember correctly.

i don't think demonstrating ical would be exciting enough to be displayed at macworld.

AidenShaw
Jan 26, 2007, 09:19 PM
i don't think demonstrating ical would be exciting enough to be displayed at macworld.

I disagree - calendar integration with the phone is a killer app.

Outlook running on my Windows phone stays in sync with my enterprise calendar (not desktop calendar - all of my desktops see a single coherent calendar view, as does my phone).

It's especially nice to have text to voice (and voice command) on the phone, so that when a meeting comes up - the phone starts to speak the meeting purpose, time and conference room location. (And you just have to say "Off" and it shuts up.)

You don't even have to take the phone out of the belt clip to know where to go....

Let me make a change, calendar integration is not "a killer app" - for me it is "the killer app".

macfan881
Jan 26, 2007, 09:23 PM
Also out today is word from LoopRumors claiming to have inside information on some of Leopard's "Top Secret" features (http://www.looprumors.com/article.php?leopards-top-secret-features-to-wow-audiences,667985494). According to the site, AppleTV integration is a "certainty", with AppleTV reportedly able to remotely display a Leopard-based Mac's desktop remotely on an HDTV. (Ed Note: similar screen-sharing technology has been previewed in Leopard's version of iChat AV). maybe that secret program is geting rid of bootcamps dual boot and be able to do it ala paralle style with 3d graphics and everything else

cloudnine
Jan 26, 2007, 09:35 PM
i can see Apple incorporating video chat into the iPhone...talking with others on their iPhone as you can see each other or talking with someone at home on their mac with their isight while talking on your iphone.

there wasn't video capabilities on the phone Jobs had, but they never said they weren't going to put that in there before it's release.

And how, pray tell, would that happen when the camera is on the back of the phone and the display is on the front of the phone? Video ichat on the iphone isn't going to happen... No, nay, negative, false, incorrect... No no no.

dicklacara
Jan 26, 2007, 10:29 PM
the iphone is the remote ;)

I think you broke the code... the iPhone is your universal remote... contains all your UI setings, and current (hot) content...

Wherever you go, your environment and current data goes with you... with a simple method to get any/all of your info (via the Internet) wherever it may currently reside.

AidenShaw
Jan 26, 2007, 11:33 PM
I think you broke the code... the iPhone is your universal remote... contains all your UI setings, and current (hot) content...

Wherever you go, your environment and current data goes with you... with a simple method to get any/all of your info (via the Internet) wherever it may currently reside.

As long as you don't want "True HD" or wireless broadband, OK.

Multimedia
Jan 27, 2007, 12:55 AM
Not sure if there's sarcasm here, because the Windows side has far more to offer than the "Fake HD" Apple TV.

The Apple TV is really no more than a low end "Media Center Extender" (MS) or "Digital Media Adapter (DMA)" (Intel ViiV).

There are *many* of these "set top PC connectors" available from Linksys, HP, Netgear, DLink, Buffalo and a few dozen other vendors. Most of them support all major video formats (except the Ipod video from the Itunes store), and some support "True HD".

Look at the HP "Media Smart" televisions recently introduced. It has a frickin' Ethernet port, and will *on*its*own* discover music, video and photo files on the home network and build a library from them.

You don't even need a tacky white plastic box next to the TV - just plug the Cat5 cable into the TV!I find 720p less than satisfactory. It really blows. Watching HD on FOX (720p) is visibly lower res compared to what I see on CBS and NBC (1080i). No wonder the Tech Specs page on Apple's AppleTV site fails to mention exactly what it puts out. Glad someone knows how to read between the lines. I'll wait until AppleTV is a real 1080i box before I encourage Apple to think 720p is "good enough" by giving them money for something less than the real deal. :eek: :rolleyes:

I guess now that Steve is on the Board of Directors of Disney - owner of ABC (the other 720p network we don't get in the air 35 miles from Apple World Headquarters), he thinks 720p is all we'll ever need. What a crock. :rolleyes:

Doctor Q
Jan 27, 2007, 12:56 AM
AppleTV reportedly able to remotely display a Leopard-based Mac's desktop remotely on an HDTVWould that include passing all audio too?

If this desktop display was really a feature, wouldn't that contradict the claims that we could play movies only if they were in our iTunes libraries?

aafuss1
Jan 27, 2007, 01:04 AM

I agree too-I'd use this feature.

Hunabku
Jan 27, 2007, 01:30 AM
Yes I love :apple: OSs and related software - being so nifty, userfriendly and well... cool. OK their awesome - for the consumer. Unfortunately for the business user apple more often than not fumbles right before the goal line.

Its not that apple doesn't have the skills or the breakthough innovation (see Leopard) they just need to dot their i-s and cross their t-s. So let see here ... Apple has the brainpower, the attention to detail and they have plenty of billions $ to devote to some extra programmers.

So what is it? Oh i know Apple doesn't really want to increase their market share - they don't want to be common - they are unique and sheek. Oh i know apple employes really rather gloat over how cool their projects are and no one at apple wants to be part of redoing or dare i say copying and catering to business software/solutions/workflow/etc of the mundane sort.

Well Apple get over yourself and start kicking some ass - the business market is ready for you - hire the programmers - tighten up your code base - and do some aggressive marketing to businesses. That way you'll undue your deserved image as a consumer only company so we don't have to make excuses for you at work - then allow me to bury your detractors!

:apple: :apple: :apple:

SiliconAddict
Jan 27, 2007, 01:42 AM

You don't even need a tacky white plastic box next to the TV - just plug the Cat5 cable into the TV!

Reread my post. We just said the same thing...The difference being I was in a rush to leave the house. :p

sjk
Jan 27, 2007, 01:50 AM
The issue with getting HD streams from EyeTV 2 is 1) bandwidth and 2) the ability of the AppleTV's hardware and software to decode such stream. That's all assuming ElGato can get the EyeTV library to appear as a source to AppleTV.
Even support for streaming non-HD EyeTV content would make Apple TV the worthwhile EyeHome replacement I've hoped it might be.

Don't think I'm gonna convert my whole HD library to iTunes - not possible.
Converting any moderate sized MPEG-2 EyeTV libraries, HD or not, to an :apple:TV-compatible format would be a PitA.

Elgato's current answers:

Can EyeTV work with the new Apple TV device? (http://faq.elgato.com/index.php/faq/more/489/)

Not too optimistic right now but I'm still hopeful for better solutions eventually. I'd have thought Elgato would have attempted contacting Apple after the original iTV announcement about compatibility issues with their EyeTV products, especially since EyeHome had been discontinued. Surely there's more to this than we currently know.

sjk
Jan 27, 2007, 01:56 AM
Not sure I understand exactly what you mean by "run QT Movies from the Finder". Is there some reason you can't "run" those movies with QuickTime, VLC, or other compatible app(s)? Or do you just want decent previewing of them directly in Finder, like what QuickLook will apparently do?

sjk
Jan 27, 2007, 02:01 AM
Sounds like Sling Media's SlingCatcher product (announced at CES?).

Multimedia
Jan 27, 2007, 02:29 AM
Not sure I understand exactly what you mean by "run QT Movies from the Finder". Is there some reason you can't "run" those movies with QuickTime, VLC, or other compatible app(s)? Or do you just want decent previewing of them directly in Finder, like what QuickLook will apparently do?I meant launch them from the finder directly into QuickTime Player's Full Screen Mode. So far AppleTV is not advertised as allowing this way of playing QT files. I don't want to load my multiple Terrabytes of mp4 files into iTunes if I can avoid that approach. :eek:

NOV
Jan 27, 2007, 02:51 AM

That's what I initially thought about Tiger too. But I must say that Spotlight (with it's short comings) has really changed the way I work. Before I was always very busy organizing stuff, and I hardly spend time doing that anymore.

Hope Leopard has some killer app on board like Spotlight, maybe Time Machine

Darkroom
Jan 27, 2007, 03:01 AM

perhaps one OBVIOUS thing apple could do with AppleTV is allow it to receive cable/antenna so mac users (who don't have plasmas) can hook it up to their computers and have a "built in LCD TV"... there aren't a whole lot of student living on res that have plasmas in their dorm rooms (or even tvs), but they all seem to have imacs and macbooks...

Multimedia
Jan 27, 2007, 03:08 AM
perhaps one OBVIOUS thing apple could do with AppleTV is allow it to receive cable/antenna so mac users (who don't have plasmas) can hook it up to their computers and have a "built in LCD TV"... there aren't a whole lot of student living on res that have plasmas in their dorm rooms (or even tvs), but they all seem to have imacs and macbooks...That product already exists. Are you unfamiliar with how the $150 EyeTV (http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvhybridna) works? It's an analog and digital SD & HDTV USB tuner, recorder. editor, display product. Plug it into a MacBook, iMac or Mac Pro and you have instant HDTV on any modern Mac's display. :)

Darkroom
Jan 27, 2007, 03:19 AM
That product already exists. Are you unfamiliar with how the $150 EyeTV (http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvhybridna) works? It's an analog and digital SD & HDTV USB tuner, recorder. editor, display product. Plug it into a MacBook, iMac or Mac Pro and you have instant HDTV on any modern Mac's display. :)

yes i know about this. what i don't know is why apple isn't TOTALLY including the same thing into the AppleTV... the EyeTV is after all just a USB dongle...

sjk
Jan 27, 2007, 03:28 AM
I meant launch them from the finder directly into QuickTime Player's Full Screen Mode.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm sure there's some way to do that but the command-F shortcut has been good enough for me. :)

So far AppleTV is not advertised as allowing this way of playing QT files.
Current :apple:TV specs say it's limited to MPEG-4 and H.264 playback, similar to what the iPod supports. Apple may be intentionally omitting capabilities in what's published, at least before product shipping.

I don't want to load my multiple Terrabytes of mp4 files into iTunes if I can avoid that approach. :eek:
One alternative would be to add them to iTunes as reference files with the Movie2iTunes (http://dettmer.maclab.org/movie2itunes.html) droplet.

sjk
Jan 27, 2007, 03:33 AM
what i don't know is why apple isn't TOTALLY including the same thing into the AppleTV... the EyeTV is after all just a USB dongle...
The "why isn't :apple:TV a DVR?" topic has already been beaten to death in too many other threads.

nubero
Jan 27, 2007, 03:35 AM

same here

i also have to say that judging from these screenshots the spotlight results window redesign looks worse than what is included with tiger right now.

do you guys open most of your files directly from the spotlight results? i always want to see where they are and not having a button that shows your selection in the finder is a show stopper for me. yeah i know you can command click in the results but that only works in the small drop down results window and it shouldn't be that hidden...

footandmaff
Jan 27, 2007, 05:35 AM
Also I need to hunt for a contextual menu so I can right click (ahem) and choose cut on a file instead of copying and pasting and then going back and deleting. Surely someone has that for me. But yeah that's about all in the Windows world that I miss on my Mac.

You know that you can do this by holding the apple key whilst dragging the file to the new location right?

If you've got a lot of folders to go through to get to where you want to move the file to then drag it without holding the apple key as this stops finder opening a new window for each folder you navigate to. Then when you reach the folder you want, press the apple key and hold (you'll notice that the green plus sign disappears) then let go of the mouse button and then you will have cut and pasted in one easy manner.

WilliamLondon
Jan 27, 2007, 06:00 AM

You know people keep complaining about this but the way I see it is that 1080p is a small market (mostly US) at this time and not mainstream at all. Hell, my DVD player (which is fairly new) is not 1080p. The television set I'm looking at is a 32", and they don't even offer it in 1080p - and I don't want a bigger set than that. 1080p is for tomorrow and hard core enthusiasts who have the space to put an enormous television set in their homes. Why would we want to pay extra to support 1080p when most of us won't have televisions to view it on? AppleTV 1080p can be an upgrade or option or more expensive version in the future after they get this damn (base) thing out the door.

GregA
Jan 27, 2007, 06:06 AM
The screen sharing thing would be nice for presentations, etcForget screen mirroring or sharing... that's nice but it means your remote screen is identical to your local screen.

Why not expand the possibilities - let me remotely (on the AppleTV) login as me, while my partner simultaneously uses the Mac logged in as her.

Talk about mystery apps on the iPhone - what would happen if my iPhone could remotely login to my Mac over any wifi or EDGE connection? There are criticisms that you can't install 3rd party apps on the iPhone - what if you could run any app that runs on your Mac?

edit:
how about also controlling it, ie effectively making the AppleTV a thin client. In this way you could have the Mac in one room and several 'terminals' around the house each with its own login session.
Just noticed lazydog got there before me, for the remote terminal idea generally :)

footandmaff
Jan 27, 2007, 06:13 AM
One alternative would be to add them to iTunes as reference files with the Movie2iTunes (http://dettmer.maclab.org/movie2itunes.html) droplet.

Thank you so much for this! This saves me having to convert every movie or tv show I have on my hard drive to .mp4 format. I don't have a video iPod so it would have been extremely annoying.

mark88
Jan 27, 2007, 06:42 AM

hmm, that seems pretty cool. It means I could convert all my divx to iTunes without much fuss!

PsykX
Jan 27, 2007, 07:58 AM
Don't forget that Steve is limited to the little n after 802.11. 1080p movies would require better speed IMO, if you take in consideration the distance and the obstacles (the loss of signal).

I don't understand if their new 802.11n router is 200mbps or 600 mbps though.

Maybe in the next generation of :apple:TV, he's going to jump to 1080p and skip 1080i.

What I've heard though is that 720p is a better choice than 1080i, so maybe he isn't that wrong after all.

blybug
Jan 27, 2007, 08:03 AM
I meant launch them from the finder directly into QuickTime Player's Full Screen Mode. So far AppleTV is not advertised as allowing this way of playing QT files. I don't want to load my multiple Terrabytes of mp4 files into iTunes if I can avoid that approach. :eek:

If you drag any file into iTunes with the "option" key held down, iTunes will "add it to the list" without making an additional copy in your iTunes Library (assuming your default is for iTunes to keep your Library consolidated). I've done this with my many GB of videos on the giant external hard drive of my G5 tower, and Front Row on the networked Mac mini hooked to the TV finds them just fine...presumably so will AppleTV :)

Of course then I was compelled to find DVD cover art for all those videos so I could watch them dancing around in Coverflow. :rolleyes:

AidenShaw
Jan 27, 2007, 08:07 AM
You know people keep complaining about this but the way I see it is that 1080p is a small market (mostly US) at this time and not mainstream at all. Hell, my DVD player (which is fairly new) is not 1080p.
The "people complaining" are only those who've seen 720 and 1080 formats side-by-side.... ;)

"True HD" (1080p) seems to be the future of television - at least from what I saw at CES in Las Vegas. A year from now, expect it to be firmly in the mainstream.

Like the Apple Phone's use of EDGE instead of HSDPA for internet access, the Apple TV's lack of support for 1080i or 1080p is giving you yesterday's technology - tomorrow.

Here's a DMA (Digital Media Adapter) from D-Link (http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=438) - it has 1080i and supports WMV/MPEG1/MPEG2/MPEG4/XviD/AVI video, audio MP3/WAV/AIFF/WMA/OggVorbis. (Five other DMAs from D-Link at http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=127&sec=0)

Here's a Netgear 1080p DMA (http://www.netgear.com/Products/Entertainment/DigitalMediaPlayers/EVA8000.aspx) that's coming soon. Here's a Buffalo LinkTheatre (http://www.buffalotech.com/products/multimedia/linktheater-dvd/linktheater-wireless-g-high-definition-network-media-player-with-progressive-scan-dvd/) with 1080i, builtin progressive scan DVD player, and support for many video (DAT, MPG, MPE, MPEG, M2V, M1V, VOB, AVI, ASF, DIVX, DIVX HD, XVID, RMP4, MP4, VRO, M4V, M2P, HNL, WMV, WMV HD) and audio (MP3, MP2, OGG, WAV, AAC, WMA, PLS, M4A, AC3, MP1, MPA, ASF, M3U) formats.
(Note - some of the pages on this device say 720p, others say 720p and 1080i)

If you want to learn about how these devices automatically discover and catalog media files on your home network, see the DLNA pages at http://www.dlna.org/en/consumer/learn/technology/ .

AidenShaw
Jan 27, 2007, 08:15 AM
Don't forget that Steve is limited to the little n after 802.11. 1080p movies would require better speed IMO, if you take in consideration the distance and the obstacles (the loss of signal)....

It has an RJ45 jack - why not offer 1080i/p for those of us with Cat6 runs to the TV? (or powerline or whatever)

Other companies are selling DMAs with 1080 support using A/G and N wireless.

By the way, HD-DVD discs are 36 Mbps, and Blu-ray discs are max (1X) of 54 Mbps.

skinnylegs
Jan 27, 2007, 08:20 AM
Is eyeTV and whatever TV options there are for mac as good as what is available for windows boxes?

I have Eye TV and it's a nice little product. That said, Windows Media Center has a superior UI and far superior program guide. BTW....don't start coming down on me 'cause I mentioned a MS product I like. :eek: I switched about 6 months ago and have never looked back.

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head. The *only* Windows program I still run (via Parallels) is a calender/database app. called Lotus Organizer. If iCal integrates seamlessly with iPhone, there goes the last of my Windows apps.......

It's an analog and digital SD & HDTV USB tunerI think it's important to point out that the only HD content Eye TV (or any other similar product for that matter) will display is OTA HD.

AidenShaw
Jan 27, 2007, 08:26 AM
Thanks For Explaining Apple's "Fake HD" Specification
You're welcome.

I find 720p less than satisfactory. It really blows.

Check out HDMI 1.3 for what's coming in the future....

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/HDMI13specificationQA.php, or Yahoo! for "hdmi 1.3"

Support for 1440p and 2160p, 48-bit color (Apple will probably call that "Trillions of colors").

HDMI 1.3 also supports the xvYCC color standard, which can display "any color found in nature" - far more than RGB can display.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/thumbs/CIE_th.jpg

In this picture, the black triangle contains the RGB color space, the rest of the colored area shows the xvYCC color space.

rjstanford
Jan 27, 2007, 09:09 AM
And how, pray tell, would that happen when the camera is on the back of the phone and the display is on the front of the phone? Video ichat on the iphone isn't going to happen... No, nay, negative, false, incorrect... No no no.

For crying out loud to this and all of the posts talking about sharing internals, et cetera. The iPhone is $600. The optical camera components for a mobile are a) tiny and b) pennies. There will probably be two of them, one on the front and one on the back. Besides, that would also explain why the "microphone" on the iPhone is the same size and form factor as the iSight camera on the MacBooks. After all, you can get great microphone access with a pinhole next to the camera.

devman
Jan 27, 2007, 09:18 AM
The "people complaining" are only those who've seen 720 and 1080 formats side-by-side.... ;)

http://blog.hometheatermag.com/geoffreymorrison/090806more1080p/

http://blog.hometheatermag.com/geoffreymorrison/0807061080iv1080p/

AidenShaw
Jan 27, 2007, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by AidenShaw
The "people complaining" are only those who've seen 720 and 1080 formats side-by-side....

http://blog.hometheatermag.com/geoffreymorrison/090806more1080p/

http://blog.hometheatermag.com/geoffreymorrison/0807061080iv1080p/

edit "The 'people complaining' are only those who've seen 720 and 1080 formats side-by-side at an ideal seating distance...." ;)

Yes, on a small set or from a long distance, 720 and 1080 look the same. With a good source and ideal seating, you can tell.

(those links recommend sitting at a distance that's 3 to 5 times the height of the screen, which means that for a mid-sized 46" panel you should sit 6 to 9 feet away.)

By the way, I'm not sure that double-blind tests would support the assumptions about pixel resolution in those links. The human visual perception is more complex than his simple geometry supposes.

Counter
Jan 27, 2007, 10:07 AM

A little competition never hurt anybody. ;)

Bali Cockfight
Jan 27, 2007, 10:14 AM
That's plausable. It could certainly use one more application to "balance" it out a bit better:

http://images.apple.com/iphone/images/indexhero20070109.jpg

You'd think they would have asked the hand model to cut his nails before the picture was taken.

AidenShaw
Jan 27, 2007, 10:42 AM
You'd think they would have asked the hand model to cut his nails before the picture was taken.

To me, it looks like he just had a professional manicure.

There's also the fact that a fingernail can be very handy with touch-screen devices - at least those that use a stylus.

Mac Player
Jan 27, 2007, 12:33 PM
Support for 1440p and 2160p

Which ,btw, is useless unless you dont have an human eye.

BenRoethig
Jan 27, 2007, 12:38 PM

Also, just wondering, I never messed with TV-on-Computer when I was in the windows world. Is eyeTV and whatever TV options there are for mac as good as what is available for windows boxes?

EyeTV 2.0 is as good as anything out there software wise and the EyeTV hybrid is a top notch (if pricey) piece of hardware. Unfortunately because of either Steve's Biases or the delusion that everyone is going to give up live TV to buy from from the iTunes store it's not intergrated as well as the PVR software on the windows side. I keep hoping Apple will wake up and spend to the small amount of money it would take to buy Elgato.

mostman
Jan 27, 2007, 12:45 PM
Killer iPhone feature is easy - integration with Office/Entourage. The OSX version only of course.

BenRoethig
Jan 27, 2007, 12:49 PM
I'm hoping they'll get smart this time around and integrate the quicktime player into iTunes. Even better, they'll also announce they've purchased to the windows media codec from Flip4Mac and integrate into that package. Access to Yahoo and hotmail accounts through Mail would also be nice.

As for the "secret features" I hope they're something earth shattering that wasn't ready yet, but they're probably just little tweaks that Steve hyped up to get your attention.

Porchland
Jan 27, 2007, 12:51 PM

Let me make a change, calendar integration is not "a killer app" - for me it is "the killer app".

Apple is effectively foreclosed from more than half the potential iPhone market until they make it an Exchange/ActiveSync client. That's the first question office IT people are going to ask: Does it talk to Exchange?

I think the guys in Cupertino get that, and I think you're going to see it on the 2G iPhone if not as a surprise feature on the 1G.

Porchland
Jan 27, 2007, 12:57 PM
Don't forget that Steve is limited to the little n after 802.11. 1080p movies would require better speed IMO, if you take in consideration the distance and the obstacles (the loss of signal).

I assumed that's why Apple TV has a hard drive.

The newest version of iTunes allows you to watch video content shortly after it starts downloading, and I suspect Apple wants to do the same with Apple TV. Ideally, the Apple TV box would cash most of what you want to watch and delete it when you're finished like a DVR box.

BenRoethig
Jan 27, 2007, 12:57 PM

I was very impressed by HP's announcement. I hope Apple will either do something similar or allow AppleTV compatible TVs.

Project
Jan 27, 2007, 01:25 PM
Apple is effectively foreclosed from more than half the potential iPhone market until they make it an Exchange/ActiveSync client. That's the first question office IT people are going to ask: Does it talk to Exchange?

I think the guys in Cupertino get that, and I think you're going to see it on the 2G iPhone if not as a surprise feature on the 1G.

Nonsense. The corporate market is NOT the target for the iPhone. I thought that was pretty obvious. There is a whole lot more to winning the corporate market than ActiveSync. Namely a ton of security standards that have to be attained before an IT department would even consider your phone.

The iPhone is a consumer device. Plain and simple. The SmartPhones were used as a comparison because Steve said they were the most 'advanced' phones on the market. He was comparing technology/feature set, not the target market.

MrCrowbar
Jan 27, 2007, 01:32 PM
Which ,btw, is useless unless you dont have an human eye.

Huh?

As a reference, Star Wars Episode One was rendered in 1050p24.
If you have seen that movie in a good theater, it's a good reference for high def on a big screen. I suppose some detail was lost when putting it on film since the ARI-Laser was not available then but I think there is still room for improvement.

Bad thing about high def (1080) is, that you see the film grain a lot. I find it annoying when the film grain changes at cuts, when they used a different ISO-value for filming. Go to the Apple High Def theater and watch the Brothers Grim Trailer in 1080.

720p is a good balance in my opinion, a higher framerate would be nice though. I mean, all LCDs do 60 Hz, lets do that. Even my small video cam can record 60 frames and it looks so much real.

BenRoethig
Jan 27, 2007, 01:32 PM
Nonsense. The corporate market is NOT the target for the iPhone. I thought that was pretty obvious. There is a whole lot more to winning the corporate market than ActiveSync. Namely a ton of security standards that have to be attained before an IT department would even consider your phone.

The iPhone is a consumer device. Plain and simple. The SmartPhones were used as a comparison because Steve said they were the most 'advanced' phones on the market. He was comparing technology/feature set, not the target market.

Then who is going to pony $600 to buy the thing? It isn't going to be teenagers?

Project
Jan 27, 2007, 01:38 PM
Then who is going to pony $600 to buy the thing? It isn't going to be teenagers?

Thats what makes the phone interesting, and ultimately whether it will succeed or not. Its a high end consumer phone. Apple hopes to create a market for it as this market effectively doesnt exist. Im in my early 20s and will be getting one, and the response amongst my friends suggests the same too.

As the brand becomes more mature in this space, Apple will branch out to cater to lower income pockets. Its the exact same business plan as they did with iPod for MP3 players. Time will tell whether it works.

kcmac
Jan 27, 2007, 01:49 PM
I will.

I travel alot for my business. While reading email on my phone may be nice, I prefer to do it from my laptop when I reach an office or a hotel. I get a lot of attachments (landscape architect) and can't do this on my phone. If people really need me, out of office assistant tells them to CALL me. (Use a PC for work but have my own PB that I use most of the work day and all of my personal use).

Yes. I will buy this phone in a NY minute. Adding to that, I think the Cingular plan will be less for this phone than others because they aren't subsidizing it. That would make it even more desirable.

Having my entire addressbook with all the information as well as my entire calendar reading exactly the way iCal works is just killer.

Finally, this phone appears to be easy to update just as easily as my Mac or the iPod. This should keep it fairly, if not entirely bleeding edge through the length of the 2 year plan.

Naysayers existed on the iPod as well. It is no different this time around. The iPhone will fly off the shelves for primarily consumers but business users as well. Sometimes, we are the same people!

maveness
Jan 27, 2007, 02:19 PM
Personally, I suspect the iPhone will ultimately be a "Home To Go" device. Your phone goes everywhere with you, right? How convenient it would be to be able to hook it up to someone else's Mac and just get right down to business with all your settings and preferences and key documents in place!

barnaby
Jan 27, 2007, 03:52 PM

Two reasons I can't see this happening:

(1) Apple won't cannibalize their hardware market.
(2) OS X is stable in part because it supports fewer hardware configurations. Drivers are essentially built into the OS. They won't give up that luxury.

GregA
Jan 27, 2007, 03:56 PM
http://blog.hometheatermag.com/geoffreymorrison/0807061080iv1080p/This guy is right that regular film is 24 frames/second, and it de-interlaces nicely. Thus 1080i or 1080p from film source doesn't matter (as long as your de-interlacer recognises it as a film).

If your source material is not film, things get more complicated. I can't remember the standards offhand.... home vs professional video, PAL vs NTSC, etc. That's why there are multiple de-interlacing methodologies... it's not as simple as the author made out.

As a reference, Star Wars Episode One was rendered in 1050p24.
I would have thought 2160p24 would be the minimum... hmmm.

Even my small video cam can record 60 frames and it looks so much real.It's interesting that they showed 1080p24 next to 1080p60 at a trade show, and the audience preference was almost universally p24. It had a more natural feel to them - the 1080p60 looked more like a home video, they said, it didn't have the cinematic feel. That'll change in time, of course.

iPoodOverZune
Jan 27, 2007, 05:05 PM
Folks,
This is off-topic (sorry for that) but if you are a M$ basher, then read this "M$ copies and then try to patent"
http://www.bluej.org/mrt/?p=21
Help to spread word around. May be someone can help the cause and also try to stop M***** to keep doing its monkey business of innovating by coping.

rick98761
Jan 27, 2007, 05:16 PM
Well wait, if this thing can stream the desktop, then what is the video format problem. Depending on the quality, we could just full screen and divx movie and stream away. The res would have to be high in order to make it look half way decent and useable.

GregA
Jan 27, 2007, 06:07 PM
Well wait, if this thing can stream the desktop, then what is the video format problem. Using Quartz2Dextreme nearly all the processing for the desktop gui can be done by the video card. The data throughput required between the computer and the video card is minimised. The high-speed bus for the video cards is used more for the bursts of data - like loading up a graphics image, or video. The video cards themselves can decode some video codecs, again minimising the transmission over the bus AND minimising the processing power required in the CPU.

If Apple starts using Q2Dextreme (it's currently available but disabled due to visual anomalies)... then why have your graphics card attached to your Mac at all? You could put it in the screen itself, for instance - though that doesn't allow for as high throughput for all the litle things which the card can't handle (or which need to be uniquely handled by the CPU).

All of which is to say - Apple could have a great remote-control feature that works REALLY fast for most things - even over the Internet. Some things would take a little longer, and some things MUCH longer (anything which can't be described "simply"). And if the remote device itself can't decode the video the Mac is watching, the Mac would have to decompress it first then send it - slowing down the system.

For good quality, even if we could remote control a Mac, we want the local device to handle the decompressing of the video.

AidenShaw
Jan 27, 2007, 10:04 PM
And if the remote device itself can't decode the video the Mac is watching, the Mac would have to decompress it first then send it - slowing down the system..

The Viiv architecture for Digital Media Adapters handles this situation by having the host transcode the video stream for the display adapter.

But, as you say, that's one reason that a Viiv system has to be at least dual core ;)

twoodcc
Jan 27, 2007, 10:05 PM

yeah it would.....and for other things as well

Wow, pretty interesting ... it looks great.. can't wait for Leopard!

yeah it does......can't wait either.......hurry up Leopard!

MrCrowbar
Jan 27, 2007, 10:07 PM
It's interesting that they showed 1080p24 next to 1080p60 at a trade show, and the audience preference was almost universally p24. It had a more natural feel to them - the 1080p60 looked more like a home video, they said, it didn't have the cinematic feel. That'll change in time, of course.[/QUOTE]

well, that depends on the material. 60 fps shows camera shaking much more than 24 fps, where shaking results in massive motion blur. We are all so used to low framerates that we feel more comfortable with it. A stationary camera or a good steadycam system can produce awesome material for action sequences. High framerates require a different style in producing. Not as much as the switch from silent movies to movies with sound, but you get the idea.

GregA
Jan 28, 2007, 03:43 AM
well, that depends on the material. 60 fps shows camera shaking much more than 24 fps, where shaking results in massive motion blur. We are all so used to low framerates that we feel more comfortable with it.This was done by one of the movie houses - and yes they said that 24p was what we were used to, it was part of the cinematic effect. And that was after they'd adjusted the digital picture to match the colour etc of the film (another cinematic effect we're used to).

Time will change that, of course. I imagine we'll also see movies where dream sequences or flashbacks are shot at a different framerate - unconsciously we'll notice the difference but not pick it.

spicyapple
Jan 28, 2007, 03:55 AM
1080 24P is great for dramatic movies.
1080 60i is great for sports and reality TV.

Whereas North Americans prefer seeing 24P in movies, the Japanese are the opposite. Most Japanese films are shot interlaced. I prefer 24P just cuz it's progressive. (or 60P, too)

GregA
Jan 28, 2007, 04:28 AM
1080 24P is great for dramatic movies.
1080 60i is great for sports and reality TV.
Actually, interlaced is no good for sports if you're watching on a plasma or LCD (which have to de-interlace on the fly - tube TVs handle it fine). Anything which is fast moving gets a blur as, in effect, every 2nd line is one frame behind.

Being 1 frame behind isn't what matters (after all... 1/60th of a second isn't long) but if every 2nd line of a fast moving ball is in a different position, the effective resolution really suffers. The cleanest thing to do with decoding is just to drop every 2nd line and replace it with the line above ("line doubling") - then the blur disappears but you have 540p.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinterlacing

The only exception to the above problem is for film shot at a lower frame rate (24p) when the de-interlacer can determine how it was converted to 60i, and undo the conversion. Then the de-interlace is perfect. Also, for slow shots, you don't really notice the de-interlacing.

Perhaps Apple is being forward thinking by leaving out 1080i. Hope they add 1080p at some stage though!

Cepe Indicum
Jan 28, 2007, 06:24 AM
Maybe the secret app on the iPhone - given that is aimed at encouraging switchers - is some sort of "Pocket Bootcamp". :)

You can partition your iPhone to run Windows Mobile, and therefore Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc. etc. :rolleyes:

(And, yes, I am being sarcastic.)

dernhelm
Jan 28, 2007, 08:14 AM

It wasn't going to be the typical fortune 500 corporate type anyway, since it isn't running windows. Apple couldn't bring Microsoft in early for obvious reasons, so they knew up front that echange support wouldn't be possible. However, as a device for creative professionals, for the anti-microsoft crowd (which is growing every day) and as a high-end consumer device it hits the mark.

It seems I've heard the cost argument before with the original iPod. Apple didn't do too badly there, either.

Stridder44
Jan 28, 2007, 08:56 AM
Check out HDMI 1.3 for what's coming in the future....

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/HDMI13specificationQA.php, or Yahoo! for "hdmi 1.3"

Support for 1440p and 2160p, 48-bit color (Apple will probably call that "Trillions of colors").

HDMI 1.3 also supports the xvYCC color standard, which can display "any color found in nature" - far more than RGB can display.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/thumbs/CIE_th.jpg

In this picture, the black triangle contains the RGB color space, the rest of the colored area shows the xvYCC color space.

This is awesome info! But I'm kinda lost on a few things...

Is HDMI 1.3 a new spec altogether? Will my current HDTV be able to take advantage of HDMI 1.3 (Yes, I'm currently using HDMI)? Is it nothing more than a firmware upgrade or something or will I have to buy a whole new HDTV? And 1440p!?? TV's don't even go up that high yet. I don't even know what spec I'm currently using...how can I tell if I'm using HDMI 1.2?

AidenShaw
Jan 28, 2007, 09:58 AM
This is awesome info! But I'm kinda lost on a few things...

Is HDMI 1.3 a new spec altogether?
Will my current HDTV be able to take advantage of HDMI 1.3 (Yes, I'm currently using HDMI)?
Is it nothing more than a firmware upgrade or something or will I have to buy a whole new HDTV?
And 1440p!?? TV's don't even go up that high yet.
I don't even know what spec I'm currently using...how can I tell if I'm using HDMI 1.2?

It's similar to the jump from USB1.1 to USB2.0 - a compatible speed increase. The higher speed enables the transfer of more information.
No.
Whole new TV and AV receiver and camera and disc player
"Yet" is the operative word
Check your manufacturer's spec sheets?

Check this link Toshiba Announces first HDMI 1.3-enabled HD DVD Player (http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/ToshibaHDXE1HDMI13.php)

guzhogi
Jan 28, 2007, 10:10 AM
I'm hoping they'll get smart this time around and integrate the quicktime player into iTunes. Even better, they'll also announce they've purchased to the windows media codec from Flip4Mac and integrate into that package. Access to Yahoo and hotmail accounts through Mail would also be nice.

Actually, Microsoft owns the windows media codec (hence "Windows") and I'm sure M$ won't let it go w/o a whole lot of money, if at all.

minimac23
Jan 28, 2007, 12:28 PM
Does anyone know if the system requirements to run leopard have leaked out yet as one of the "Details Emerging?" I just got a mac mini not too long ago and am wondering if it's going to be able to handle leopard.

dernhelm
Jan 28, 2007, 01:38 PM
Does anyone know if the system requirements to run leopard have leaked out yet as one of the "Details Emerging?" I just got a mac mini not too long ago and am wondering if it's going to be able to handle leopard.

You can check out the Leopard Page (http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html) for details, but most of the core image stuff will work on older macs as well:

Two heads are better than one
Core Animation takes advantage of the multiple cores in most new Intel-based Macs. When developers use the framework for an application, the process runs in its own thread. On a multi-core Mac, this means the application runs on one core, and Core Animation on the other. Core Animation runs on any Core Image (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/)-capable Mac (including most Macs shipped in the past two years).

Apple has been pretty proud of the fact that they are not requiring huge system upgrade to get the most out of Leopard, so most stuff will just work, and the other stuff should degrade pretty gracefully.

That said, it still feels to me like you're going to want an Intel Mac to get the most out of Leopard. But I've got a PowerPC based laptop that I'll be upgrading, so I'll let you know how it goes...

Nezza
Jan 28, 2007, 01:38 PM
The big thing for me personally, would be for DRM'd WMV files to be playable. I don't have access to Satallite or cable, Freeview (free to air digital in the UK) is not going to be available in my region untill 2012 and iTunes has no movies or TV series available outside the US (still).

The few services that are offering video on demand over the net in the UK, all require Windows.

So for example, I can only see whatever football highlights are on Match of the Day, and if I miss that then thats it. Tottenham put extended highlights on the web as a subscription service. But of course just like everything these days its DRM'd and only avaliable to Windows users.

In my ideal world, there wouldn't be DRM. But as that problems not going to go away soon. If Apple announced that DRM'd WMVs would be playable through iTunes, then I'd be putting my 199 down for an Apple TV like a shot.

As it stands now, with no video content outside the US. Apple TV is just an Airport Express with the ability to show album art on my TV for double the price.

Simon R.
Jan 28, 2007, 04:56 PM
We'll likely see the most impressive of them a week before release...

... or maybe there are no cool "top secret" features at all, and most of you will be utterly disappointed. I, for one, am not upping my expectations. I just wish they would do some improvements in CoreAudio and such for us musicians:)

AidenShaw
Jan 28, 2007, 06:46 PM
Actually, Microsoft owns the windows media codec (hence "Windows") and I'm sure M$ won't let it go w/o a whole lot of money, if at all.

Perhaps you've never noticed that every portable media player, and all of the "set top" media adapters (the things that have been around for more than a year, which Apple is copying with the Apple TV) play Windows Media audio and video?

Perhaps you didn't realize that all of the Blu-ray and HD-DVD players have Windows Media HD support?

On the contrary, Microsoft knows that dirt-cheap codecs are the way to get into the market.

Stridder44
Jan 28, 2007, 07:21 PM
[list=1]
It's similar to the jump from USB1.1 to USB2.0 - a compatible speed increase. The higher speed enables the transfer of more information.

I'm off to buy new hardware (tv) in 2 years! Yay!

/Sarcasm takes a dive off a cliff

The Scotsman
Jan 28, 2007, 10:00 PM
Sorry just joined thread now but if the rumors are to be correct of a missing app on the iphone I would have thought it would be a version of iwork07. Dont know what you guys think but it would fill the gap between the iPhone and other smart phones and also would make it much more desirable to me.

GregA
Jan 29, 2007, 02:20 AM
Sorry just joined thread now but if the rumors are to be correct of a missing app on the iphone I would have thought it would be a version of iwork07. Dont know what you guys think but it would fill the gap between the iPhone and other smart phones and also would make it much more desirable to me.Yes, iWork would be useful... to a point. I can see the effectiveness of using the iPhone for presentations. Opening word documents will be important - though I don't know about creating documents. The quick "notes" feature in Leopards mail would be great in the phone.

When I try to think about what I'm bad at, and need to be better at... it's tracking all my receipts. I wouldn't mind taking a photo of my receipts and classifying my expenses on the go... but that's not really Apple's field.

Diatribe
Jan 29, 2007, 04:37 AM
VoIP for iChat would be so awesome. Apple already has the BT headset they are using for the iPhone so it would fit. Include a call flatrate into .mac and you have yourself a killer feature.

Besides that I can't really imagine what else Apple may have up its sleeve, I hope we won't be disappointed.

kalisphoenix
Jan 29, 2007, 06:47 AM
(those links recommend sitting at a distance that's 3 to 5 times the height of the screen, which means that for a mid-sized 46" panel you should sit 6 to 9 feet away.)

I sit 9 feet away from a 19" CRT :(