PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to a recent Massive Attack gig?!...

Bengt77
May 20, 2003, 09:32 AM
I went there April 27th. It was mad! 3D had brought this huge LED matrix-display with him. It could display red, blue and green points of light, all three in a dark and light shade. The things he (or better: the vj's) did with it; just plain mad! I really wish Massive Attack will bring the thing out as a visualiser for iTunes and WinAmp; that would rock!

But really, anybody went and saw them lately? Too bad Mushroom is gone, so they didn't play anything from the "Protection" album, since that's Mush's album. But, surprise surprise, Daddy G was there! He is said to be taking a sabattical from Massive Attack, but he was there; brilliant. And Horace; he's getting really old now, but he's chugging along fine. Came shuffling up the stage each time it was his turn, but his voice really can't be missed in the music.

Utter brilliance, all. I've seen them thrice now, but this has been, by far, the best gig I ever saw them give. Lovin' it...

Too bad Sinaed wasn't there, though. Would've been cool, but she's said to be leaving the scene altogether; she would be tired of the showbizz world, or something like that.

:p

Anyone?

neut
May 20, 2003, 10:21 AM
i wish to see them some day. Sinaed doesn't like to hang. im suprised she hung around long enough to even make that album (1ooth window). It would be cool to see a Vj'd show. I plan on Vj'ing my next CD release. I think it would be cool to visual score my album;)

but...

i do get to see Bjork @ Red Rock in August!
(hopefully in my new Element)

iGav
May 20, 2003, 10:36 AM
They're very dark live aren't they... solid gig, but musically they were much better at the Phoenix Festival in 1996 when I last saw them! They don't seem to be having much fun at the mo... not surprising considering all the ***** that 3D has gone through recently....

The intergration between the live performance and the website though is ********* wicked!! Given me alot of inspiration for a creative event I'm planning at the mo! Kind of moved the whole performance-live thing on... something I was expecting Underworld to do more of on last year....

Not surprised there was no sign of Sinead 'Rent-A-Singer' O' Connor though :p :p :p

vollspacken
May 20, 2003, 11:36 AM
I've seen them a couple of years ago on the 'mezzanine'-tour, right after mushroom had left, and I tell you what: that gig sucked!!! :mad:

I think they had their heydays with 'blue lines' and 'protection', but the new album is just plain horrible... two decend tracks (suprise-suprise, one is with horace andy...), but when 3D starts to steal ideas from their OWN tracks it just gets corny.

sorry if I offend someone with this opinion, but that's my view.

my 2c

vSpacken

neut
May 20, 2003, 01:35 PM
massive attacks newest album is being regaurded as being one of the best albums of the past few years and some of the best use of programming sense bjorks album (vespertine).

its currently one of my favorites (along with "do you know squarepusher?).

peace.

frozenstar
May 20, 2003, 02:34 PM
Is it just me, or do all you Europeans have better taste in music than us Americans?

NOTE: This is not sarcastic.

vollspacken
May 20, 2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by frozenstar
Is it just me, or do all you Europeans have better taste in music than us Americans?

yes, true! and that's the reason why I think that the new album is bad... because it is bad!

no wonder, when mushroom left, the "soul" was gone... Daddy G had better things to do than helping 3D copying old tracks like protection (he could at least have used different samples...)

vollspacken
May 20, 2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by neut
massive attacks newest album is being regaurded as being one of the best albums of the past few years and some of the best use of programming sense bjorks album (vespertine).

yeah, says who??? TRL on MTV, or Rolling Stone??? muarharhar...

...but I give you the squarepusher point!!! WORD!

oh, BTW, check out chris de luca & peabird's 'deadly wiz da disko'-album... 1/2 of funkstoerung, if you like squarepusher

vSpacken

iGav
May 21, 2003, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by vollspacken
yeah, says who??? TRL on MTV, or Rolling Stone??? muarharhar...

The critics are pretty evenly split... some think it's the nuts... others think it's lacking... it's the way the cookie crumbles when it comes to music! You can't please everyone...

That said, as a general rule, music critics talk ***** almost continously!

In order of preference...

1. Mezzanine
2. Blue Lines
3. 100th window
4. Protection

Wicked! :D

Judo
May 21, 2003, 05:49 AM
Arrr
They were gonna come down here to NZ but they cancelled. :(

I still havn't listened to 100th window yet

Protection is my Fav though then Mezzanine followed by Blue lines. I wasn't at all impressed with No Protection though, thats Mad professors fault though not Massive attack.

cc bcc
May 21, 2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Bengt77
I went there April 27th. It was mad! 3D had brought this huge LED matrix-display with him. It could display red, blue and green points of light, all three in a dark and light shade. The things he (or better: the vj's) did with it; just plain mad! I really wish Massive Attack will bring the thing out as a visualiser for iTunes and WinAmp; that would rock!

But really, anybody went and saw them lately? Too bad Mushroom is gone, so they didn't play anything from the "Protection" album, since that's Mush's album. But, surprise surprise, Daddy G was there! He is said to be taking a sabattical from Massive Attack, but he was there; brilliant. And Horace; he's getting really old now, but he's chugging along fine. Came shuffling up the stage each time it was his turn, but his voice really can't be missed in the music.

Utter brilliance, all. I've seen them thrice now, but this has been, by far, the best gig I ever saw them give. Lovin' it...

Too bad Sinaed wasn't there, though. Would've been cool, but she's said to be leaving the scene altogether; she would be tired of the showbizz world, or something like that.

:p

Anyone?

Heeeejj I've been to that concert at the exact same date! :D Amsterdam, Heineken Music Hall.

Excellent music! The graphics were amazing! It was soooo good! It was nice how they used realtime data. Much of the text they used was translated into dutch. That's a nice gesture, although everyone understands english.
It was a truly amazing concert. :eek: :cool:

vollspacken
May 21, 2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by iGAV
In order of preference...

1. Mezzanine
2. Blue Lines
3. 100th window
4. Protection

Wicked! :D

ok, ok... it seems that it comes down to individual preference ;)

my order:
1. protection
2. blue lines
2A. no protection (doesn't relly count...)
3. mezzanine

I don't count 100th window, since I see it as a 3D solo-album

BTW, the next album already round the corner... and I wonder what happened to the material that they had done together BEFORE 3D trashed everything and started 100th window from scratch without daddy G

oh, and don't get me wrong... I love 'I against I' with Mos Def, that should have been the standard for the album!!! (hmm, love that genesis sample :D )

peace
vSpacken

Bengt77
May 22, 2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by cc bcc
Heeeejj I've been to that concert at the exact same date! :D Amsterdam, Heineken Music Hall.

Excellent music! The graphics were amazing! It was soooo good! It was nice how they used realtime data. Much of the text they used was translated into dutch. That's a nice gesture, although everyone understands english.
It was a truly amazing concert. :eek: :cool:

Too cool! And too true, also, about the Dutch. Did see one spelling error, though. At the end of the Bush-thread it said "Is de wereld nu veilger?" But it was cool, nonetheless. Very cool, that is.

:cool:

cc bcc
May 22, 2003, 07:55 AM
I saw another error, a french word they forgot to translate I guess. ;)

mymemory
May 22, 2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by neut
i wish to see them some day. Sinaed doesn't like to hang. im suprised she hung around long enough to even make that album (1ooth window). It would be cool to see a Vj'd show. I plan on Vj'ing my next CD release. I think it would be cool to visual score my album;)

but...

i do get to see Bjork @ Red Rock in August!
(hopefully in my new Element)

If you need a VJ, hire the best one!

neut
May 22, 2003, 11:36 AM
to NY?

cool.

bing change from Vene eh?

If your in the Boise area I might, but NY is bit far and away...