PDA

View Full Version : ruben or clay?

jefhatfield
May 20, 2003, 12:56 PM
it's down to the wire and the two were only 2% percent different in total votes

my vote is still for ruben, yet both singers have a future in pop music...carmen the sixth place singer this season already scored something with dave matthews

just look at the last two finalists last season, both cut lucrative record deals and still get a lot of attention from the media

RBMaraman
May 20, 2003, 01:44 PM
Definitely Clay.

He's got the best voice, the best range, and the Pop Idol look.

Don't get me wrong, Ruben's good....he's just not American Idol good. If the show was called "American Barry White Singing Impersonator Idol" then Ruben would get my vote.

All last week Simon was saying Ruben would win, but yesterday he started saying he "has a feeling" Clay will win.

Good luck to both contestants!

andrewlandry
May 20, 2003, 01:52 PM
i vote for Rueben because he's more like a real singer intead of a fluffy showtune singer. Rueben might actually have a career ahead of him. clay sounds good on some songs, but he sounds a bit coached and unnatural on others. Rueben sounds like a natural on everything i've heard him sing.

jelloshotsrule
May 20, 2003, 02:00 PM
clay's annoying..

and because of that, i think he'll win

i'd love to see my boy win (ie, ruben)

MacFan25
May 20, 2003, 02:29 PM
I think that Ruben is good, but not as good as Clay. I really like Clay, and I hope that he wins. :)

bdguyton1
May 20, 2003, 02:40 PM
DEFINATLEY Ruben! One reason is that he is from my home state, Alabama! Also, he just has that "American" attitude, and is an awesome singer! He brings a smile to my face whenever he sings, and i just get this warm feeling, that only Ruben can bring! He is definatley my choice for American Idol! Dont get me wrong, Clay is good, just more of a Broadway singer than an all-around singer. Can't wait for tonight and Wedensday! I'll be voting for Ruben! GO RUBEN!

NavyIntel007
May 20, 2003, 02:50 PM
Um... who cares?

The whole show is rigged anyway.

brogers
May 20, 2003, 02:55 PM
Well, Clay and I are from the same state so that makes me a little biased. However, Clay has the mose powerful voice of the two and the better range. He also has more of an "idol" look as defined by todays culture. Ruben is good no doubt, but Clay is a great vocalist and is quite charming too. Ruben seems to be getting a lot of press for his charming nature, but Clays is just as charming.....IMHO. My votes on Clay.

Les Kern
May 20, 2003, 03:02 PM
Clay.
Reuben, while excellent, has not changed much since day 1.
Clay on the other hand, has evolved into something much better. Good enough proof for me to say that Clay has a bigger potential. Pluss, Clay's voice is more powerful. That being said, Reuben is SMMMMOOOTTTTHHHH, man, and he's had nary a slip-up.

agreenster
May 20, 2003, 03:03 PM
Clay has a great voice but I really like Reuben because he is a lot more masculine than Clay. Clay seems way too touchy feely and girly. However, teeny-boppers really dig that, so I guess he has more market potential. I would vote for reuben because he seems so laid back and cool, but I really dont care who wins.

P-Worm
May 20, 2003, 04:07 PM
I personally haven't kept up with the show, but I think that it would be great if a person like Reuben won. You don't see a lot of pop stars with his "stature" and I think we need to level the playing field and steer clear of "talent" based on looks.

Reuben has it where it counts in my book. He's got soul.

P-Worm

Warren
May 20, 2003, 05:49 PM
I cant believe people waste time not only watching but then thinking about this crap.

jelloshotsrule
May 20, 2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Warren
I cant believe people waste time not only watching but then thinking about this crap.

i can't believe you wasted your obviously precious time posting about it. ;)

MrMacMan
May 20, 2003, 06:07 PM
I seconded the 'neither' vote.

BTW, if it is rigged NavyIntel007 who will win? :p

P.S I hate this show as much as married by america.

medea
May 20, 2003, 10:13 PM
it doesn't really matter who wins, they are both disposable, and the loser will probably end up with some crazy record contract anyways.

scem0
May 20, 2003, 10:30 PM
ughhhhh....... neither. This isn't a singing contest (although that is a big part of it) - it is a contest for the best American Idol. Ruben and Clay can sing very well, but they aren't 'American Idols' in any way. Kimberly Caldwell had all the attributes necessary to become an 'american idol' but she got voted off - twice. She is pretty, a great singer, and has star quality.

American Idol has gone downhill from last time. :(

MrMacMan
May 20, 2003, 11:16 PM
Who thinks they (mainly fox) needs to kill anything with 'american or america/celebrity' in the name.
Married by america --- omfg, your a LOSER if you seen that
That stupid mask show (I think that is on fox)
American Idol -- if you want to idolize somone don't do someone from a TV show.
Celebrity boxing -- I like this, expect that there are no fair fights and they always suck at boxing.

tazo
May 20, 2003, 11:44 PM
which one is the queer elf one?

wsteineker
May 20, 2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by tazo
Heh. That'd be Clay. ;)

As for my pick, it's Reuben all the way. He's an Alabama boy just like me, and we've got to represent for the 205!!! That, and he's got soul and presence for days, whereas Clay seems like some sort of sexually ambiguous Barry Manilow impersonator with a penchant for showtunes. Who wants to hear more of that? I'll take a guy with obviousl talent and broader market appeal any day. It'll be nice to see a soul/r&b singer win it, anyway. Takes some of the whitebread out of the show. :)

jelloshotsrule
May 21, 2003, 12:10 AM
basically, the way i see it... clay is just another fake, decent sounding teenie bopper type. whereas i could respect ruben's music, and him as a person

and how could anyone prefer clay over that sweaty lovable huge man???? ha

rainman::|:|
May 21, 2003, 12:25 AM

OMG i haven't laughed that hard in a long time... where's vniow? she'd love this.

:D
pnw

vniow
May 21, 2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
OMG i haven't laughed that hard in a long time... where's vniow? she'd love this.

pnw

I saw it, though I don't think I got it, I've never seen American Idol so I may have missed the reference.....

Les Kern
May 21, 2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Warren
Actually if you can seperate the fact it's on Fox with the people (who are genuine) it's interesting to watch. As an avowed hater of all things commercial, I'm surprised I find it so interersting. You took the time to post an opinion, so now let's hear what you like to watch.

tazo
May 21, 2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by paulwhannel

pnw

thank you very much. lol. I thought i was gonna get flamed by some AI supporter. :p:p

jelloshotsrule
May 21, 2003, 10:26 AM
thank you very much. lol. I thought i was gonna get flamed by some AI supporter. :p:p

clay himself might flame you! ;)

rainman::|:|
May 21, 2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by vniow
I saw it, though I don't think I got it, I've never seen American Idol so I may have missed the reference.....

aww i'm sorry... well not really, it's an awful show... but clay is ... the queer elf one. that's simply the best way to put it.

I loved it when he inferred that he was straight-- i don't think so. i think sparkleytone or someone here went to HS with him...

pnw

tazo
May 21, 2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
clay himself might flame you! ;)

LOL. Now that would be funny

message from 'clearlf1'
dear tazo,

i hate you.

-clearlf1

:) :)

jelloshotsrule
May 21, 2003, 07:30 PM
LOL. Now that would be funny

message from 'clearlf1'
dear tazo,

i hate you.

-clearlf1

:) :)

ha. well i was going on the other meaning of "flame". kinda to fit the theme with clay... ;) :rolleyes:

Les Kern
May 21, 2003, 08:56 PM
D'OH!

tazo
May 21, 2003, 09:33 PM
where did the queer elf one go wrong? He lost. :( :D

tazo
May 21, 2003, 09:34 PM
ha. well i was going on the other meaning of "flame". kinda to fit the theme with clay... ;) :rolleyes:

sorry that went wooshing by me :( it has been a long day. a test, running a mile for PE, and acting out a part of romeo and juliet in english; it has been a long day.

Les Kern
May 21, 2003, 10:23 PM
where did the queer elf one go wrong? He lost. :( :D
Oh great... another intolerant fundamentalist right-wing dumbass.
Oh, I'm sorry. Did I say that?

Congratulations to Ruben.

tazo
May 21, 2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Les Kern

queer means wierd, as well as a synonym for homosexual. I mean dictionary.com lists a reference to the word homosexual, 6th in the list of definitions of the word 'queer':

1. Deviating from the expected or normal; strange: a queer situation.
2. Odd or unconventional, as in behavior; eccentric. See Synonyms at strange.
3. Of a questionable nature or character; suspicious.
4. Slang. Fake; counterfeit.
5. Feeling slightly ill; queasy.
6. Offensive Slang. Homosexual.
7. Usage Problem. Of or relating to lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, or transgendered people.

And btw, no one is impressed that you remember the vocab from all that NPR. :)

jelloshotsrule
May 21, 2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Les Kern

it was a joke... supported by none other than paul (our resident gay rights dude)...

we don't need to be TOO uptight eh?

though our elves' rights population is a little weak...

ruben rules.

vniow
May 21, 2003, 10:45 PM
queer means wierd, as well as a synonym for homosexual. I mean dictionary.com lists a reference to the word homosexual, 6th in the list of definitions of the word 'queer':

Regardless of what Dictionary.com says, yell out the word queer in the middle of a large crowd and I'll bet you that the vast majority will immediately think homosexual.

vniow
May 21, 2003, 10:47 PM

though our elves' rights population is a little weak...

Indeed, we need more little people with funny pointed shoes posting around here!

tazo
May 21, 2003, 11:01 PM
Regardless of what Dictionary.com says, yell out the word queer in the middle of a large crowd and I'll bet you that the vast majority will immediately think homosexual.

You have a good point there. However I am not responsible for the vast majority of stereotypes developed over the years.

I don't see what the problem with the word is. It is like that quote in someone's sig, "if a gay attacked you would you beat him off?". Now to an innocent person that is funny, beating off meaning push away, knock out, whatever. Now if someone is fairly modern they will get what the joke is truly meant to implicate. This is what the world amounts to: A bunch of people who can take a phrase, word, whatever, and fashion it into a variety of interpretations.

vniow
May 21, 2003, 11:57 PM
You have a good point there. However I am not responsible for the vast majority of stereotypes developed over the years.

No you are not and I had no intention of bringing in that other discussion in here, I was just pointing out that the word queer used in the wrong way in the wrong context can be viewed as a deragatory term for homosexuals even if its not meant as such so just be careful when you use words like that even though the two gay people who posted in this thread (me and paul) didn't have a problem with it.

I don't see what the problem with the word is.

The problem I personally have with it is the word queer in our society is used as a deragatory term for homosexuals so when people hear the word queer they will most likely think gay whether the origional intent was that or not, its the same problem I have with people saying things are gay, meaning it as a negative and as long as people use the term gay or queer as a negative, it promotes the idea that homosexuality = bad/immoral/wrong and its ok to bash them like that even if that's not the origional intent.

tazo
May 22, 2003, 12:04 AM
i agree with your statements vniow. Are you upset by the usage of the N word by black people? I am. But I am combatting this in my own way. I go up to all my white friends (i have plenty of black, asian, and other culture friends as well) and go, "what up mah caucasian", or "what up mah crackah!?". Now if a black guy tries to do that, like calls me a cracker, I am going to be like, nah man its our word, if you use it its hateful. :)

wsteineker
May 22, 2003, 12:09 AM
Ok, so back on topic...

Hell yeah! Ruben rocks ass! :D

vniow
May 22, 2003, 12:16 AM
i agree with your statements vniow. Are you upset by the usage of the N word by black people? I am.

Its different when the people who those comments are targeted use those statements within their own community, when black people use the N word when they're referring to themselves, they take the negative power away, same thing when homosexuals use the word queer or dyke or fag when referring to themselves, the negative power which is used when people use the term as deragatory is taken away, I don't mind if people inside my own circle of friends call me a dyke or whatever, but my ears are probably going to perk up when someone I don't know refers to me as that, I'm probably going to be like, 'excuse me? What did you just say?' because I don't know the intent.
I believe that we as a society can take those deragatory terms and turn them into something positive but that takes time and a lot of effort by both sides.

jelloshotsrule
May 22, 2003, 12:18 AM
please dispense with the serious talk... it's late(ish) at night and i was just thinking that this could turn into a classic silly night like the nights of yesteryear.... dong bags and all

vniow
May 22, 2003, 12:20 AM
please dispense with the serious talk... it's late(ish) at night and i was just thinking that this could turn into a classic silly night like the nights of yesteryear.... dong bags and all

Sorry, may the queer elves with pointy shoes talk continue!

jelloshotsrule
May 22, 2003, 12:22 AM
Sorry, may the queer elves with pointy shoes talk continue!

ha. nah, interesting insights.

just had to throw out a pointless post to hold me over.

vniow
May 22, 2003, 12:32 AM
just had to throw out a pointless post to hold me over.

Seems to be working, I don't even remember what the hell I was talking about!