Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Onslaught

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
the laptop turns on gives me a grey screen with the finders simley and a folder with a question mark can anyone help?

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
smiley + ? mark = cant find start-up disk.......

boot from your install disk, open the SUD pref pane & select your internal HD and reboot. Then check the same again, and clik the padlock to secure it from being changed :p

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Just do this:

1. Click on the Apple Menu and go to System Preferences

2. Click on Startup Disk

3. Select the correct startup folder. (ie. Mac OS X, 10.4.8 on Macintosh HD)

4. Click the red dot in the top left to close out of system preferences.

Restart to check and see if it worked.

Onslaught

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
i did that i get 2 icons one an arrow going in a cirlce and one point to the left

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
Get a hold of the operating system installation CD's. You're going to need them in the future anyway for erasing the HD and doing reinstalls. Get the OS 10.3 CD's. 10.4 is too busy for the G4's processor speed; it'll make the fans run all the time.

Onslaught

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
Get a hold of the operating system installation CD's. You're going to need them in the future anyway for erasing the HD and doing reinstalls. Get the OS 10.3 CD's. 10.4 is too busy for the G4's processor speed; it'll make the fans run all the time.

dont have the cd how much will it cost me?

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
link me tto where i can buy the cd's

This guy recommends calling Apple first:

If you don't have this disk, then your best bet is to buy a copy of Mac OS X, even though you already have the OS installed on your computer (you could try calling Apple (800 SOS-APPL) and asking for a replacement boot disk too). Another smart way to accomplish this: look for Mac OS X on eBay.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow

I have a G4 PB, 10.4 doesn't cause much fan action for me. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.