PDA

View Full Version : stinky mac?

neut
May 20, 2003, 05:15 PM
am i the only one that thinks mac smell good?

really. i love the smell of a new mac! my TiBook still carries the scent (I can especially smell it when it warms up...mmmmmmmm).

what is that smell?

wdlove
May 20, 2003, 05:22 PM
You prompted me to smell my Mac, neut. But sadly I didn't note any smell, just warm air from the fan! Now I will have to pay close attention to my new PPC 970! ;) I do enjoy a new car smell, is it similar to that?

tazo
May 20, 2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
You prompted me to smell my Mac, neut. But sadly I didn't note any smell, just warm air from the fan! Now I will have to pay close attention to my new PPC 970! ;) I do enjoy a new car smell, is it similar to that?

speaking of new car smell did you know that is actually a spray that they put on all upholstery whether it be fabric or leather? So theorhetically you could buy 'new car smell' and spray it anywhere u wanted that 'new car smell' :)

eyelikeart
May 20, 2003, 05:25 PM
The title of this thread is misleading.

It's the same with most new electronics. Computer, stereo, tv, lots of products that generate heat & energy.

It's a nice scent I'll admit, but I personally like the smell of coffee better myself. ;)

vniow
May 20, 2003, 05:28 PM
My Mac smells like whatever I spilled on it last.

neut
May 20, 2003, 05:31 PM
coffee makes you poop (and really fast at that)!

macs make you think (different)!

thus both together would make you "think differently about pooping really fast"?

?

sorry. that was dumb.

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2003, 05:32 PM
Now are you talking about the new mac smell - sort of like the new car smell?

My mac is old enough that I don't think it has its own smell anymore....

D

eyelikeart
May 20, 2003, 05:32 PM
please!!! :eek:

I'm trying to shake that whole "poop" persona... ;)

neut
May 20, 2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
please!!! :eek:

I'm trying to shake that whole "poop" persona... ;)

don't worry. the smell will wash off.

MrMacMan
May 20, 2003, 06:17 PM
um, okay, what you are smelling are chemicals....

you *might* not want to go for that too much, because it might cause damage...

This is comparable to people who like the smell of my disinfectant, but it does do harm to your lungs.

WinterMute
May 20, 2003, 06:31 PM
I think they are long chain monomers, which is basically the ablation of the surface of new plastic mouldings, hence the new car smell, strangely a new Aston Martin smells of leather and wood polish, guess who was sitting in a vantage yesterday:D

My new 17" AlBook smells very nice thankyou.

wdlove
May 20, 2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
The title of this thread is misleading.

It's the same with most new electronics. Computer, stereo, tv, lots of products that generate heat & energy.

It's a nice scent I'll admit, but I personally like the smell of coffee better myself. ;)

I just wish that coffee would taste as good as it smells! Wow the aroma!!;)

wdlove
May 20, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by neut
coffee makes you poop (and really fast at that)!

macs make you think (different)!

thus both together would make you "think differently about pooping really fast"?

?

sorry. that was dumb.

Actually it's hot water that has a laxitive effect. I remember that my grandfather would always drink a hot glass of water before he did his chores on the farm. Never knew why, don't know why I didn't ask. It wasn't until nursing school that I learned about the laxative effect of hot fluids. It brings about increase peristalysis!

ibookin'
May 20, 2003, 07:05 PM
I know what you're talking about. When I got my replacment iBook it had a "new Mac" smell to it, and when we unloaded my sisters iMac from the box it also smelled like a "new Mac" even though it had been sitting in the box for many months.

MacFan25
May 20, 2003, 07:14 PM
I just smelled my mac, and it doesnt really have a smell. :D I cant remember if there was a smell to it whenever I got it out of the box or not.

MacFan25
May 20, 2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
Actually it's hot water that has a laxitive effect. I remember that my grandfather would always drink a hot glass of water before he did his chores on the farm. Never knew why, don't know why I didn't ask. It wasn't until nursing school that I learned about the laxative effect of hot fluids. It brings about increase peristalysis!
I think that that needs to go in the Poop Thread! :eek: ;)

but i didnt know that hot water did that.

wdlove
May 20, 2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
I think that that needs to go in the Poop Thread! :eek: ;)

but i didnt know that hot water did that.

Well now you can say that you learned something new today! ;) I saw that eyelikeart wants to downplay that personna!

scem0
May 20, 2003, 08:13 PM
Hmmmmm, haven't smelled a mac recently. My new monitor smells...... like any other piece of technology.

My printer, on the other hand, smells quite nice. Toner smells good in my opinion.

Sun Baked
May 20, 2003, 08:14 PM
The Macs have that chemical smell because Apple no longer "burns-in" computers like they used to a long time ago, just the start-up test now.

So the chemicals that used to be burned off at the factory during burn-in now pollute your house, much better than making the employees suffer. ;)

Some of the new computer lines will have a stronger smell, depending on who/where they get their parts.

wdlove
May 20, 2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by scem0
Hmmmmm, haven't smelled a mac recently. My new monitor smells...... like any other piece of technology.

My printer, on the other hand, smells quite nice. Toner smells good in my opinion.

I've never noticed that toner has a smell. You should try adding toner to a copier, a messy job scem0. It's like thick black dust that 's hard to contain and to cleanup!

scem0
May 20, 2003, 08:25 PM
Well if you want to know specifically the smell I am talking about. Try to smell the next Samsung laser printer toner cartridge you see. Sort of sweet smelling, yet rich at the same time.

ibookin'
May 20, 2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by scem0
Well if you want to know specifically the smell I am talking about. Try to smell the next Samsung laser printer toner cartridge you see. Sort of sweet smelling, yet rich at the same time.

You're gonna turn us all into toner huffers!

pseudobrit
May 20, 2003, 09:07 PM
iBook keyboards smell like B.O.

No, really. There was a thread on Apple Support discussions about it. Some people notice nothing, others can smell it from several feet away after it's warmed up. Mine has a slight scent. Yuck.

kettle
May 20, 2003, 09:20 PM
I thought I knew what the "New Mac" smell was, but now I'm not sure. I was helping my girlfriend unpack her new eMac and was suprised to smell a new "New Mac" smell. Up until now all the macs I have unpacked had been assembled in Ireland, I think the eMac came from Malaysia, hmm perhaps all macs don't smell the same.

wdlove
May 21, 2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by ibookin'
You're gonna turn us all into toner huffers!

If it smells as good as scem0 is saying, then yes it could become addictive!
I wonder if they have any of these smells in a can, seems that they should if they have a new car smell! :cool:

OutThere
May 21, 2003, 07:03 PM
my imac came with a really good kinda plasticky smell...

Gymnut
May 22, 2003, 05:54 PM
If your keyboard smells like B.O., you've got some serious problems to address. Perhaps coating your fingers with deodorant/anti-perspirant will alleviate the excessive sweating thus eliminate the B.O. That or eating salt and vinegar chips whilst typing isn't the best of ideas.

tazo
May 22, 2003, 06:15 PM
I am pretty sure my imac didn't have a smell. :)

Mblazened
May 22, 2003, 06:29 PM
I enjoy opening new Powermacs at my shop and taking a big whiff when i inspect their insides.

donigian
Jun 5, 2003, 09:36 PM
I hate the smell of my iMac's CRT. But I think I remember reading that the "CRT smell" is ozone, so I don't think it's too healthy for me to smell.

wdlove
Jun 6, 2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by donigian
I hate the smell of my iMac's CRT. But I think I remember reading that the "CRT smell" is ozone, so I don't think it's too healthy for me to smell.

Ozone if used properly can be a good air purifier!

http://www.surroundair.com/ionizerozone.htm