PDA

View Full Version : finally switched

TonicAngel
May 20, 2003, 07:30 PM
It took me about 6 months, but I finally got an iMac. :D I love this computer! It's a little hard to figure out what the heck is going on with disk images.... Other then that it's amazing how SIMPLE a mac is. I love it!! I haven't used a mac since the last mac we owned, which was a LCIII. Being able to do something in one step as opposed to 10 steps in windows is WONDERFUL!! :p I got a 17" and MY GOD this screen is HUGE!:eek: It will definetly make my friends jealous :D

All in all I love my new mac, but I just wondered if anyone had any information on disk images/mounting? That seems to be my downfall, I cannot find the program afterwards. I guess I am trashing the image file and maybe I am supposed to keep it? Are there any good websites avaliable for this?

Thanks again!!
Finally I am windows free! :D

Freg3000
May 20, 2003, 08:00 PM
Basically, with disk images it is fairly simple. After you download the disk image (usually .dmg file) it should automatically mount itself using disk copy. If it doesn't just double click it. Then it will create a white thing which looks like an external floppy or zip drive (there is probably a technical name for it, but I don't know it). Then you can open that, and drag the application out to whatever folder you want. Sometimes there will be instructions in the folder to tell you where to drag the files (like if it is screensaver). After this is done, you can "eject" the mounted drive, and trash the original dmg file.

That is pretty much it.

scem0
May 20, 2003, 08:01 PM
When you download a program and a disk image is mounted, many times you have to drag the program to your applications folder (or wherever you desire) so it doesn't get deleted along with the disk image.

Congrats on your switch. The 17" is great. I just got a monitor of my own actually, a 18" (:)) Gateway (:(), which I am very happy with (:)).

MacFan25
May 20, 2003, 08:31 PM
congrats on your switch. the 17" imac is very nice. :D

TonicAngel
May 20, 2003, 09:35 PM
oh awesome thanks!! That dragging the application worked... Always have to do things the hard way :D

tazo
May 20, 2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by scem0
When you download a program and a disk image is mounted, many times you have to drag the program to your applications folder (or wherever you desire) so it doesn't get deleted along with the disk image.

Congrats on your switch. The 17" is great. I just got a monitor of my own actually, a 18" (:)) Gateway (:(), which I am very happy with (:)).

how could you be sad of an 18'' lcd from anyone? I only have the built in CRT of my iMac.

nagromme
Jun 19, 2003, 01:44 AM
Think of a .dmg disk image (the bended-paper icon) as a CD. Double-clicking "inserts" (mounts) the "CD" (the white drive icon), which then appears on your Mac.

Once inserted, you can drag stuff off of it, run an installer, or whatever. Just remember that the "CD" will be gone later so you must do SOMETHING to get the contents to your HD.

Throwing the "CD" in the trash when done simply "ejects" it--you still have the .dmg to "insert" again. (Or don't bother--it will "eject" on logout anyway.)

Keep the .dmg as a backup, or throw it out when done. Sometimes I even keep the .dmg as my "master copy," and mount the "CD" each time I want to run the app. For little-used apps. In that case, I do NOT install the app onto my HD.

You can make your own disk images using the Disk Copy app in your Utilities folder. Tip: you can make a blank, writable, ENCRYPTED disk image for storing sensitive files like credit card stuff. Whenever you save or chaneg something in the disk image, the .dmg file is modified. just treat the disk image like any hard disk. Simple!