PDA

View Full Version : When can we realistically expect new iMac / Leopard??

Bongolo
Jan 28, 2007, 05:33 AM
Hi guys,

As a recent switcher and proud owner of a C2D MBP, I have decided to buy an iMac.

I have started saving & hope to be patient enough to wait until the next revision + the launch of Leopard.

I know it is a bit of guesswork but some of you guys have been using Macs for decades and may know how this sort of thing works.

So, realistically, when can expect an iMac revision + Leopard?? :confused:

TIA

/Bongolo

iW00t
Jan 28, 2007, 05:34 AM
My money is sometime in April.

In fact my money is that new MBPs with hi-res LED monitors will come out sometime in May/June too, by then Leopard would have been released :)

pknz
Jan 28, 2007, 05:36 AM
I will say March for iMac. Leopard in 'Spring.'

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 28, 2007, 05:39 AM
Late April seems to be getting most guesses for Leopard: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=271535

iW00t
Jan 28, 2007, 05:42 AM
I will say March for iMac. Leopard in 'Spring.'

If that's the case we can narrow it down further and say it will be unveiled during that event on Feb 20th.

Since australia is a topsy turvy place I actually have to look it up on the wiki :rolleyes:

Spring is one of the four seasons of temperate zones, the transition from winter into summer. Astronomically, some Western countries consider spring to begin with the spring equinox (around March 20 in the Northern Hemisphere, and September 23 in the Southern Hemisphere), and ends with the summer solstice (around June 21 in the Northern Hemisphere and December 21 in the Southern Hemisphere). Such conventions are by no means universal, however. In Chinese astronomy, for example, the vernal equinox instead marks the middle of spring, which begins around the time of Lichun (around February 4). In the Irish Calendar it is counted as the whole months of February, March and April. In meteorology, it is (also by convention) instead counted as the whole months of March, April, and May in the Northern Hemisphere and September, October, and November in the Southern Hemisphere.

April is good bet!

Anyway Mar 20th is also a Tuesday :rolleyes:

BoyBach
Jan 28, 2007, 05:47 AM
Only Apple knows the answer.

Chundles
Jan 28, 2007, 05:47 AM
My money's on Tuesday April 10th for Leopard and around then for iMac revisions.

There's nothing to upgrade the iMac to currently, the next upgrade point will be the Santa Rosa platform revision around April.

dmw007
Jan 28, 2007, 02:52 PM
My money is sometime in April.

In fact my money is that new MBPs with hi-res LED monitors will come out sometime in May/June too, by then Leopard would have been released :)

Both seem like likely predictions. :)

dasbear
Jan 28, 2007, 03:02 PM
My money's on Tuesday April 10th for Leopard and around then for iMac revisions.

There's nothing to upgrade the iMac to currently, the next upgrade point will be the Santa Rosa platform revision around April.

Do we know that the Santa Rosa platform (i.e. 2nd gen Core 2) will be picked up for the iMacs? Seems that Apple is pretty happy with the processors since going from Core to Core 2. If so, how long after S.R. is released in April would you expect until the iMacs ship with it?

Is it worth the wait (I'm looking to buy >10 iMacs for an office environment)? Is there anything besides processors changing soon (i.e. price)?

Thanks!

dmw007
Jan 28, 2007, 03:35 PM
Do we know that the Santa Rosa platform (i.e. 2nd gen Core 2) will be picked up for the iMacs? Seems that Apple is pretty happy with the processors since going from Core to Core 2. If so, how long after S.R. is released in April would you expect until the iMacs ship with it?

Is it worth the wait (I'm looking to buy >10 iMacs for an office environment)? Is there anything besides processors changing soon (i.e. price)?

Thanks!

I would expect that the iMacs will use the Santa Rosa platform, but how long it will take after its released for Apple to use it in the iMac is difficult to say.

I doubt that price will change (they just dropped the prices of the iMacs when they released the 24" model).

clintob
Jan 28, 2007, 04:21 PM
Ahh... let the processor wars commence once again. So silly.

I wish we'd all realize that the amount of time your computer spends even CLOSE to it's maximum processor usage is somewhere in the ballpark of 1%. So for that 1% of your day, Santa Rosa will fly. The rest of the time, plain old washed up C2D will work just as fast - and frankly, if you want to be honest, so will Dual and Quad G5s. I have a dual 2.5 G5 at home, a Quad 2.6 Xeon at the office, and use a C2D MBP regularly... and guess what? They all run just about the same! And yes, that's using Pro Apps all day (Photoshop, Illustrator, Aperture, Flash, etc.). Yeah, yea, I know, Universal Binary, yadi yada. But even that speed bump will be less about processor and more about native code.

So the moral of the story is, if you need/want a machine, get it when you're ready (even if that's now). The updates are almost always nominal, especially considering the Intel switch is fairly new. The only real significant boosts in speed you'll see come when you increase RAM usage and throughput (which did actually happen from PB to MBP, and recently with the max RAM bump) so those are things to wait for if its relevant to you. But don't wait around for processor updates... it's pointless and almost nobody does the kind of computing where the difference in speed is relevant.

Now Leopard is another story, and perhaps worth waiting for. But I think it's fair to say we wont see Leopard until mid-late March at the earliest. So if you can hold out until then, go for it. You'll save the upgrade cost.

Sun Baked
Jan 28, 2007, 04:46 PM
Hi guys,

So, realistically, when can expect an iMac revision + Leopard?? :confused:

TIA

/Bongolo

Keep an eye on the next Intel mobile chipset revision -- aka, Santa Rosa.

The iMac won't change do anything until Intel starts shipping those chipsets in volume.

damien341
Jan 28, 2007, 06:20 PM
Keep an eye on the next Intel mobile chipset revision -- aka, Santa Rosa.

The iMac won't change do anything until Intel starts shipping those chipsets in volume.

i doubt that. they work independently from intel on a new imac and when the product cycle goes into a new round they'll release a new machine. there's no reason for waiting for santa rosa or any other technology.

Silentwave
Jan 28, 2007, 06:36 PM
i doubt that. they work independently from intel on a new imac and when the product cycle goes into a new round they'll release a new machine. there's no reason for waiting for santa rosa or any other technology.

Yes there is, because otherwise only the form factor would change, and Santa Rosa will offer some pretty nice new features.

fansub
Jan 28, 2007, 07:26 PM
im sticking with my MBP till imacs with blue ray drives are released as standard, hopefully shouldn't be long now. what are the chances of that being the next imac?

BenHoleton
Jan 28, 2007, 07:30 PM
Leopard will come out appr 1 month after i buy my Mac Book Pro:p

roland.g
Jan 28, 2007, 08:48 PM
Recently there was info to suggest that both the Santa Rosa chipset will be delayed. Instead of April, think late August to September. I don't know what Apple will do with the iMacs in the next three months, but it won't rely on a delayed Santa Rosa. And Conroe is also out as the heat factor has kept Apple away, not to mention it would require a completely different motherboard. I think the only iMac revision we may see this spring to coincide with Leopard may be a return of a color or two, say either a Product (Red) iMac (though I think that may end up being a MacBook color) or a Black iMac. A lot of people (myself included) have been hoping to see an anodized aluminum iMac, a la the Cinema Displays, Mac Pros and Minis, however the issue there is that the Apple remote transmits through the white plastic near the :apple: logo. While they can make a portion of the plastic translucent black or red, metal on the other hand, notsomuch. The Mini solves this problem by putting the receiver at the far right edge of the optical drive.

youngestchild
Jan 29, 2007, 01:21 AM
I'm holding out for an imac (yes, i posted the same thing this time last year, still waiting - upgraded the ibook instead). this time i'm just holding out for tiger/ilife07 as soon as it comes out i'm in line for it.

so do you think they'll be a RAM upgrade? if i was to buy one today i'd want 2gig... in a 20" imac. it'd be great if that was the standard! :p

... and a faster dvd burner, please! everything else i'm happy with.

Bengt77
Jan 29, 2007, 03:55 PM
Ah! The waiting game, eh? I'm playing it myself, too. Still. I was ready for a new iMac when the 24" model was introduced. Alas, it wasn't the iMac I'd hoped for (see my sig). So, still no new iMacs since then. Maybe no truly interesting new iMacs this spring, either. What to do then? My current original G4 iMac (April 2002) is turning five years old soon. Man, and has it started showing it's age at times!

Yes, I too wish Apple and Intel would hurry up and do something substantial that will help make a new - and really interesting - iMac a real possibility soon. And with interesting, I mean a next-next generation processor/architecture (be it Conroe or Santa Rosa), a current high-end GPU, a motherboard architecture that will accept more than 3GB of RAM, a video-in port (HDMI or DVI) and of course... Leopard.

But then again, how long can one wait? It was my birthday in August, and friends started giving me copies of Windows XP and Windows games, since I would soon have my brand spankin' new Intel iMac. Not. Too bad. How long will this waiting game keep me happy? And don't start about buying a new Mac now if I need it. Because, well, frankly... I don't need it. I just want to replace my ageing computer and have a truly current one that will last me about as long as this one has/will.

Sun Baked
Jan 29, 2007, 04:31 PM

Apple requires VOLUME shipments from Intel, or any new technology that going in all the machines.

Until they get them, a 10k unit shipment in a month/quarter isn't going to allow Apple to ship anything.

Apple's required volume is quite a bit, with 100's of thousands needed in the first couple months.

Apple is tied to Intel's ability to actually ship a new product. We might not get these things until Intel delivers Santa Rosa in Apple's required volume.

Sucks, but that's what happens when a single chipset is inside a range of products chewing up 1-1.5 million of them every few months.

iW00t
Jan 29, 2007, 04:38 PM
Apple requires VOLUME shipments from Intel, or any new technology that going in all the machines.

Until they get them, a 10k unit shipment in a month/quarter isn't going to allow Apple to ship anything.

Apple's required volume is quite a bit, with 100's of thousands needed in the first couple months.

Apple is tied to Intel's ability to actually ship a new product. We might not get these things until Intel delivers Santa Rosa in Apple's required volume.

Sucks, but that's what happens when a single chipset is inside a range of products chewing up 1-1.5 million of them every few months.

If that's the case how is it that PeeCee makers are able to roll technology out sooner than Apple?

Sun Baked
Jan 29, 2007, 04:48 PM
If that's the case how is it that PeeCee makers are able to roll technology out sooner than Apple?

They have a lot of chipsets in all their product lines.

Even if they get a palty 10k units, they are just extra machines they sell. And can market -- even if they sell out.

Helps having a rather robust product mix. Add new machines as the parts come out and kill off old machines whenever you want.

Apple "replaces" a product line each time they revamp a machine.

Which means needing the volume to continue shipping the machine and the volume needed to cope with the new product rush.

This is a problem with such a shallow product mix -- 2 chipsets for all the computers Apple makes isn't a lot.

Edit: big difference between needing a million units in the first 3 months to revamp all the Apple notebooks vs. Dell taking them in small batch quantities.

dmaxdmax
Jan 29, 2007, 05:26 PM
Yes there is, because otherwise only the form factor would change, and Santa Rosa will offer some pretty nice new features.

Sorry if I'm behind the times but what nice new features will there be of practical use. (non-programmer/developer)
Thx

Silentwave
Jan 29, 2007, 05:51 PM
Sorry if I'm behind the times but what nice new features will there be of practical use. (non-programmer/developer)
Thx

For one, Robson Flash Caching? Also 800MT/s FSB, and the GMA X3000 for the integrated graphics models. Also this thing called WWAN internet but i'm not sure how that might be implemented.

Scarlet Fever
Jan 29, 2007, 05:58 PM
im sticking with my MBP till imacs with blue ray drives are released as standard, hopefully shouldn't be long now. what are the chances of that being the next imac?

i hope you really like that MBP coz if you are waiting for a BR iMac as standard, you'll be waiting a LONG time. I can see BR being offered as an (expensive) option, but not standard.

autechre
Jan 30, 2007, 11:17 AM
Ok, my situation is pretty much identical to Bongolo's situation: I wish to buy an iMac (a 24") and would prefer to get it shipped with Leopard. However, I'm not holding out for any major revision; I'm happy with the iMacs as they are right now. But, one question that I would like to have answered is, if I were to get an iMac in, say, a month's time (because I'm way too impatient), what would be the chance that it would get an "Express Upgrade" to 10.5, like PCs with the Vista upgrade?

And since there's reason to believe that Santa Rose won't be included in the Macs until later in the year, what revisions (major or minor) might be done to the iMacs specifically within the Leopard ship period? I'm hoping they'll maintain the actual design/'frame' of the iMacs.:)

QCassidy352
Jan 30, 2007, 11:58 AM

This is a great point, and one that people waiting for updates need to understand. Apple can only update when there are chips available that improve on what's in there now. That or just upgrade other components (RAM, HD, graphics, screen etc.), but that's not likely. An update without a processor bump/change is quite rare, and since apple's offerings are fine now, there's really no reason to do it.

For one, Robson Flash Caching? Also 800MT/s FSB, and the GMA X3000 for the integrated graphics models. Also this thing called WWAN internet but i'm not sure how that might be implemented.

mmm, GMA x3000. :) I've got high hopes for that. Supposedly it's a significant advance in integrated graphics, and if so, it'll make both minis and macbooks a lot more appealing.

one question that I would like to have answered is, if I were to get an iMac in, say, a month's time (because I'm way too impatient), what would be the chance that it would get an "Express Upgrade" to 10.5, like PCs with the Vista upgrade?

If you buy once leopard's actual release date has been announced but before that date arrives, you'll get an upgrade coupon for leopard. If you buy before the release date is announced, you pay full price for the update. At least, that's how apple's done it in the past.

dirtleg
Jan 30, 2007, 12:26 PM
I can't imagine that Apple would roll out a major OS upgrade without some shiny new hardware piece to sweeten the deal for those looking to upgrade their desktop computer. I have been reading on the threads for months that folks are waiting for Leopard before upgrading to a new iMac. There must be at least as many folks waiting for a hardware bump before upgrading their OS.

In other words, because I'm not sure the above made sense, the upgrade of both will enhance the sales of each other. Some are waiting for OS upgrade, some are waiting for hardware upgrade in order to get both in one purchase.

I think I need to sit down and figure out what I just said.

kinchee87
Jan 30, 2007, 03:13 PM
Had a look at the Apple (http://www.apple.com/au/macosx/leopard/index.html) site:

Get ready, get set, get Leopard
All these features and more are delivered to you in one universal, fully accessible, 64-bit operating system. Coming mid-2007.

It sounds as though they are talking about Leopard as a whole instead of some parts of it.

zblaxberg
Jan 30, 2007, 03:37 PM
I'm holding out for an imac (yes, i posted the same thing this time last year, still waiting - upgraded the ibook instead). this time i'm just holding out for tiger/ilife07 as soon as it comes out i'm in line for it.

Are you still living in last year cuz buddy leopard is coming out, not tiger.:p

ready2switch
Jan 30, 2007, 03:52 PM
Recently there was info to suggest that both the Santa Rosa chipset will be delayed. Instead of April, think late August to September....

I missed this info. Link please?

whawhat
Jan 30, 2007, 04:02 PM
i agree with most posts - sometime in april '07 with leopard sounds just about right.

maybe we will see a BLACK iMac as well (???)

the black macbook, black ipod, black ipod nano all sell extremely well. ;)

youngestchild
Jan 30, 2007, 04:15 PM
hah zblaxberg, nice one... yeah I noticed my mistake but never got around to fixin' it. yeah, i mean leopard :o

so what are the chances of 2gig of ram being standard? or will it just be bumped to 1.5?

bldgengineer
Jan 30, 2007, 05:06 PM
I'm pretty much in the same boat as most people right now wanting to buy.

I really want to replace my dinosaur and am getting tired with the high maintenance of a windows system and after about an hour of playing around with the systems in the Apple store, I decided to switch to a mac. What I want to know is what is the feasibility of any hardware upgrades this year? I don't need much but I would like to get the 24" mac with the faster processor and 2g of ram. I just don't want to spend the money on it right now or after leopard comes out and 6 months down the road all of the sudden you can get a 3 gig processor, 8 series graphics card, DVI input and 2g of ram now comes standard(story of my life :rolleyes: ).

iW00t
Jan 30, 2007, 05:20 PM
I missed this info. Link please?

Yeah I never read about that too, all I read about is how Intel has been making revolutionary breakthroughs, and that IBM stole that tech from them!

autechre
Jan 31, 2007, 09:02 PM
I'm pretty much in the same boat as most people right now wanting to buy.

I really want to replace my dinosaur and am getting tired with the high maintenance of a windows system and after about an hour of playing around with the systems in the Apple store, I decided to switch to a mac. What I want to know is what is the feasibility of any hardware upgrades this year? I don't need much but I would like to get the 24" mac with the faster processor and 2g of ram. I just don't want to spend the money on it right now or after leopard comes out and 6 months down the road all of the sudden you can get a 3 gig processor, 8 series graphics card, DVI input and 2g of ram now comes standard(story of my life :rolleyes: ).

Yeah, we're kind of stuck to 2GB if we can't afford another 900 bucks for the 3GB. Unfortunately, I'd rather have 3GB of memory over the 2.33GHz processor, but I just can't justify the price.:(

Let's cross our fingers and hope that when leopard arrives, 2 will be standard and 3 wont be a major expense. (Or maybe we're just wishful thinking here):D

mccldwll
Jan 31, 2007, 09:15 PM
My bet is Leopard and new form imacs very soon--before April. An announcement could come as early as the SuperBowl. PC users have been waiting for Vista and now that it's out and ho-hum, and getting compared to OSX, its a good time to consider switching to Mac. Apple will be right there with an even better OS, and an irresistible new vehicle to run it on. This is the prime time for a release.

bldgengineer
Jan 31, 2007, 09:30 PM
I just hope the superbowl announcement isn't just for the beatles collection. If there is something else announced, I hope its not for an 80 gig red ipod or something along those lines. Otherwise, I guess we'll be waiting for the end of the month or 3 months later, if we don't hear anything on the 20th. I'm willing to bet the latter (again, my luck :p )

autechre
Jan 31, 2007, 09:52 PM
My bet is Leopard and new form imacs very soon--before April. An announcement could come as early as the SuperBowl. PC users have been waiting for Vista and now that it's out and ho-hum, and getting compared to OSX, its a good time to consider switching to Mac. Apple will be right there with an even better OS, and an irresistible new vehicle to run it on. This is the prime time for a release.

Hmm, I'm actually hoping they don't change the form before I get my iMac. I quite like the design as is, but I'm sure any form change would look just as cool as it does now. Just so long as Apple doesn't remove the 24in from its product line - man, I love that thing.:D

shikimo
Feb 1, 2007, 01:38 AM

While your comment on the Vista release is spot-on (it really is getting the big SO WHAT?? that it deserves for looking too much like OSX and thus not offering much folks haven't seen), and the market really is ripe, the evidence seems to suggest that Leopard simply isn't done, and after the iPhone it would be a bad move to announce another product that won't ship for months. I like the late-March announcement predictions, with shipping approx. 4-6 weeks later. As far as the iMac, I like what an earlier poster said about the new design waiting for Santa Rosa...but now that looks like late summer-fall, which is too long between updates for Apple's biggest consumer machines, so there's gonna have to be a non-proc. refresh before then.

Hmm, I'm actually hoping they don't change the form before I get my iMac. I quite like the design as is, but I'm sure any form change would look just as cool as it does now. Just so long as Apple doesn't remove the 24in from its product line - man, I love that thing.:D

That would be shocking: they're killing with that machine! Considering it's pricepoint and (I assume, I don't know the exact production cost) mad profit margin and status as newest coolest most uber-exciting iMac, I think it will be around awhile, probably as-is until a complete form-factor revision.