PDA

View Full Version : Does Apple TV do WDS-bridging?

Echinda
Jan 28, 2007, 01:46 PM
I currently have an Airport Express in my media room which I use both for AirTunes and to get an internet connection to my XBOX 360.

If I get an Apple TV, that will replace AirTunes (along with giving me all its other features), but will I be able to use the Ethernet port on the back as a wired LAN bridge for my XBOX 360 (preferred solution) or use it as a WDS-bridge for an XBOX 360 wireless adapter (sub-prime solution)? Or does Apple TV not do WDS-bridging or otherwise extend a LAN? I couldn't find anything on Apple's site or on a search of these forums.

I don't think I'll get it if it doesn't have that functionality. In Canada (where I am) there is not much video content available in the iTunes store, so I would be using it mostly for music and inflicting photos of my kids on unsuspecting guests. Not quite enough functionality to justify the C$349 price tag. But if it is a WDS-bridge/LAN extender as well, then I can use my Express in a different room and that would be enough juice for me to consider buying it.

Jan 28, 2007, 01:52 PM
I currently have an Airport Express in my media room which I use both for AirTunes and to get an internet connection to my XBOX 360.

If I get an Apple TV, that will replace AirTunes (along with giving me all its other features), but will I be able to use the Ethernet port on the back for my XBOX 360? Or does Apple TV not do WDS-bridging? I couldn't find anything on Apple's site or on a search of these forums.

I don't think I'll get it if it doesn't have that functionality. In Canada (where I am) there is not much video content available in the iTunes store, so I would be using it mostly for music and inflicting photos of my kids on unsuspecting guests. Not quite enough functionality to justify the C$349 price tag. But if it is a WDS-bridge as well, then I can use my Express in a different room and that would be enough juice for me to consider buying it.

I highly doubt it. Thats not advertised and I dont think that was one of Apple's intended uses for it.

Echinda
Jan 28, 2007, 02:17 PM
You're probably right but hope springs eternal. There isn't much documentation for it on the Apple Support site yet, so I haven't found a definitive "no" anywhere.

spaceballl
Jan 28, 2007, 09:17 PM
I REALLY hope it does have that feature. To be honest, I could see Apple rolling it out in a firmware update eventually, because it shouldn't be hard to implement. I use my airport express for the exact same thing as you do, only for a slingbox / tivo.

When I put an Apple TV in my living room with all my high end stereo equipment, it would be great to be able to use Apple TV's ethernet port to plug into the back of my HD-DVD player, etc etc, rather than needing the Apple TV + another device...