PDA

View Full Version : How does Dyson make water go uphill?

iGav
May 21, 2003, 09:01 AM
Very cool.... and very clever.... I want one... well when I actually have my own garden that is...

Link it....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3046791.stm

WinterMute
May 21, 2003, 09:13 AM
The man is far too clever for his own good, vortices in a vacuum cleaner? That'll never work...

Reminds me of the sketches of Eascher, the ones with the monks going round the top of the tower, on lot going perpetually upwards, the others always down. His work really messes with your head.

Mr. Anderson
May 21, 2003, 09:22 AM
That is friggin cool! Quite simple to do too - good outside of the box thinking here :D

I wonder what his next 'trick' will be?

D

wdlove
May 21, 2003, 10:29 AM
Quite a creative man! I wonder if it wouldn't have the same relaxation qualities as a fish tank? The good part no fish to take care of! ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 21, 2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by wdlove
Quite a creative man! I wonder if it wouldn't have the same relaxation qualities as a fish tank? The good part no fish to take care of! ;)

It could easily be a fish tank - be pretty funny actually.

D

applemacdude
May 21, 2003, 08:53 PM
thats cool. maybe i can get one for my garden...

MacBandit
May 21, 2003, 08:57 PM
I think I'm going to build a miniture one of these. That is really cool. If I could only focus myself have as well as that guy it would be amazing.

MrMacMan
May 21, 2003, 09:11 PM
Uh wow that is insane...

They need a video of the water flowing uphill. :)

iGav
May 22, 2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
I think I'm going to build a miniture one of these. That is really cool. If I could only focus myself have as well as that guy it would be amazing.

Not sure if Dyson is well known in the U.S. but over here is is a very visionary creative and inventor of innovative technologies and he's also a hugely influential business man!

It's still too cool though!!

wdlove
May 22, 2003, 07:08 PM

That would be great MacBandit, then you could make us a Quicktime movie. Then all of us could enjoy that soothing movement of H20 on our desktop! :cool:

MrMacMan
May 22, 2003, 08:35 PM
That would be great MacBandit, then you could make us a Quicktime movie. Then all of us could enjoy that soothing movement of H20 on our desktop! :cool:

yes please.

I don't want to go all the way there just to see this. :(

They don't even give a clip... :o :(

scem0
May 22, 2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Uh wow that is insane...

They need a video of the water flowing uphill. :)
Thats what I was thinking. it must be extremely trippy.

MrMacMan
May 22, 2003, 10:06 PM
MrMacMan is offering $10 to anyone who gives me their video of this.

And please, don't be cheap and link to someone elses video because they I get to see it and the contest goes away.

evoluzione
May 22, 2003, 11:16 PM
iGav ... long time ... i may be in the market for a motor soon, start thinking what.... maybe an S2000??? or the evo VIII FQ300 (FQ short for f'in quick eh) if i can get one here (think it's england only mod though).

anyways, i digress.... pretty cool stuff, reminds me of that tap (faucet) that's supported by the water flowing out of it's spout (when there's actually a pipe inside the flwoing water that's hidden)

I believe there is a version of the Dyson over here, or some vacuum cleaners that use the principle anyways, vortex or something

MacBandit
May 23, 2003, 01:00 AM

Well it all comes down to what materials I get first. If I get the plexiglass first I will build this if I get a couple of gas motors first I'm building a hover craft.

iGav
May 23, 2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by evoluzione
iGav ... long time ... i may be in the market for a motor soon, start thinking what.... maybe an S2000??? or the evo VIII FQ300 (FQ short for f'in quick eh) if i can get one here (think it's england only mod though).

anyways, i digress.... pretty cool stuff, reminds me of that tap (faucet) that's supported by the water flowing out of it's spout (when there's actually a pipe inside the flwoing water that's hidden)

I believe there is a version of the Dyson over here, or some vacuum cleaners that use the principle anyways, vortex or something

S2000.... hmmmm.... not really my type of car per se', I don't really go for small sports cars.... but what about a 356 Replica?? unless you could track down a real one, although have no idea of the $ involved in that.... very cool car!

The new Evo looks like a sledgehammer of a car... but the insurance would be crippling.... not sure if you can get the FQ over there... (you can get the regular Evo though) something tells me that it would meet emission laws... They had it on 5th Gear a couple of weeks ago against the new Impreza Turbo (can't stand scooby's) it goes sideways like you wouldn't believe though!!

I still want my TT but I need my own (read as swallow hard and buy) loft apartment first... :eek: :p :p

I forgot about that tap thing... I remember seeing one of those when I was about 5 and being truly amazed... I just couldn't figure out how it was done (I was 5 and all) and then I can remember seeing it in Argos and it had 2 pictures of it... one with it working and the other switched off.... the myth was blown away... :( :eek: :p

iGav
May 23, 2003, 02:53 AM
I spoil you all.... ;) :D :D

http://www.chelsea.dyson.co.uk/

Although it's not the best footage (you can see the flowback... oooh-errr) but on the left hand ramp, it really looks like it is following up... it's probably much cooler in the flesh!

I still want one! :D

MacBandit
May 23, 2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by iGAV
I spoil you all.... ;) :D :D

http://www.chelsea.dyson.co.uk/

Although it's not the best footage (you can see the flowback... oooh-errr) but on the left hand ramp, it really looks like it is following up... it's probably much cooler in the flesh!

I still want one! :D

Why would they film it from that angle? It's supposed to be viewed from above. Thanks for the video by the way.

iGav
May 23, 2003, 02:22 PM
Why would they film it from that angle? It's supposed to be viewed from above. Thanks for the video by the way.

I know... the right hand part is clearly demonstrating that it's not flowing up.... but the left hand side is super convincing...

I think from a few paces back, standing up... I think it does exactly what it says on the tin!! :p

wdlove
May 23, 2003, 04:12 PM
Well it all comes down to what materials I get first. If I get the plexiglass first I will build this if I get a couple of gas motors first I'm building a hover craft.

A QuickTime movie of your hover craft would be nice also! ;)

MacBandit
May 23, 2003, 04:16 PM
A QuickTime movie of your hover craft would be nice also! ;)

It could be a few months off. I don't move real fast on projects. I have my big telescoope torn down to the tube right now and it could be a week before I get it back together. I'm adding a filter slide and I'm ligning the OTA (Optical Tube Assembly) with felt to prevent reflections. Also I'm going to take the time to aligne the secondary mirror correctly.

wdlove
May 23, 2003, 04:45 PM
It could be a few months off. I don't move real fast on projects. I have my big telescoope torn down to the tube right now and it could be a week before I get it back together. I'm adding a filter slide and I'm ligning the OTA (Optical Tube Assembly) with felt to prevent reflections. Also I'm going to take the time to aligne the secondary mirror correctly.

Take all the time you need MacBandit, it sounds like a worthwhile project! Please post a picture of you telescope when it's finished. Do you have it setup so that you can take pictures via the Telescope. That would be! :cool: I will wait patiently for either of your other projects to be completed, please keep me posted! ;)

MacBandit
May 23, 2003, 05:09 PM
Take all the time you need MacBandit, it sounds like a worthwhile project! Please post a picture of you telescope when it's finished. Do you have it setup so that you can take pictures via the Telescope. That would be! :cool: I will wait patiently for either of your other projects to be completed, please keep me posted! ;)

Yeah I took some pictures of the lunar eclipse through the scope but I just today received the mount to hold the Digital camera so that I don't have to try to align it by hand evey time I move the scope.

Here's the bracket I got.

http://www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=65&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=6&iSubCat=29&iProductID=65

You can see my lunar photos here (http://homepage.mac.com/louiskst/PhotoAlbum77.html) and a couple shots of Saturn when I was just figuring out my digital camera last winter here (http://homepage.mac.com/louiskst/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2002-11-23%2020.39.37%20-0800/ImageSaturn%201.jpg) and here (http://homepage.mac.com/louiskst/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2002-11-23%2020.39.37%20-0800/ImageSaturn%202.jpg). I have since learned a lot about getting better shots through the telescope as you can see by my lunar photos. They will only improve with this new mount I have.

Here's a photo of my scope all torn apart.

cubist
May 23, 2003, 05:13 PM
... I want to see your pictures of Mars at opposition this August!

MacBandit
May 23, 2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by cubist
... I want to see your pictures of Mars at opposition this August!

I will defintely be all over that. That is a big part of why I am doing what I am doing. By reducing the chance of reflections and accurately aligning the mirrors you get a much sharper image of planets and stars. Galaxies and nebulas don't really require this all to be exact but planet bodies with there immense detail are unforgiving of unprecise optics. Also I am installing the filter slide which fits inside the tube and holds the lens filters over the eyepiece hole in the tube. This allows me to have 4-5 of my filters installed at once and to change filter all I have to do is slide it out to the next one or back to the previous one. This is great since planets often show much greater detail with different colors of filters. I'm hoping to get a good picture of te ice capse on Mars and hopfully maybe even see a few canals. I also want to get my own photos of Jupiters Red Spot before it fades completely away and also a much better shot of Saturn and the detail in the rings.

Wardofsky
May 25, 2003, 05:58 PM
I can remember how they do this (I think), they have the angled platform and then start flowing water out from the peak.

Some water runs down and the other water goes over the side, given the right angle it appears to flow up...

iGav
May 26, 2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Wardofsky
I can remember how they do this (I think), they have the angled platform and then start flowing water out from the peak.

Some water runs down and the other water goes over the side, given the right angle it appears to flow up...

That's pretty much it... although on the up hill part, there are bubbles rising to the peak, so coupled to the thin film of water that's flowing down, and the bubbles that are rising and flowing up the length of the incline it appears that the water is flowing upwards....

It was on BBC 1 news last week, with a proper perspective on it (i.e. standing up) and it really does look incredible... and quite strange.

I reckon Dyson is going to market these because of the amount of global interest he's had on them....

Can't wait!!