Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mynameismatt89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
Hey,

I've got a .avi clip on my computer and wanted to burn it to a disc so i could watch it on my dvd player. I dragged the clip into imovie then 'shared' it with idvd and burned it. It plays on my dvd player but with no sound. How can i get it to have sound?

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Hey,

I've got a .avi clip on my computer and wanted to burn it to a disc so i could watch it on my dvd player. I dragged the clip into imovie then 'shared' it with idvd and burned it. It plays on my dvd player but with no sound. How can i get it to have sound?

I've never had success using iMovie for .avi's...

-does the original .avi play in quicktime with sound?

Allow me to suggest Roxio's Toast.

Other than iTunes, it is my favorite software ever...!! No it's not free, but it is actually worth the $$ unlike a lot of software......:apple:

surfer99

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2006
VA
Not sure if this will help or not but I have had some problems importing videos into iMovie with sound. I slowly realized that iMovie does not support some video formats with sound as well as video. I was able to work around this by downloading a free program called "visual hub" which converts video from one format to another. A simple google search will pull it up. Once you download that it is very simple to convert any type of video file into any other type of video file. It took me a few tries but after playing around with it I was able to find one that imported sound and video. Hope this helps.

mynameismatt89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
i dont want to have to pay money. thank you though. does anybody now how to do it (proper settings) using a program called 'Burn' ???

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Download a copy of MPEG Streamclip. The program is free and will convert just about anything you find. Most importantly, it is very easy to use and works well with Toast and iDVD.

If I recall, installing it takes some patience -- you must read the instructions carefully.

But its worth it. Along with QTPro, MPEG Streamclip is one of the handiest little software apps you'll have (if you work with video or audio on a non-pro level).

TAV

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
Not sure if you saw it but I mentioned that Visual Hub is a FREE downloadable program. Once again FREE

VisualHub is demo. App costs $23.32 USD. Burn provides a simple drag and drop GUI. But only supports QT compatible files. So A conversion might be necessary prior to encoding to MPEG-2/DVD.

mynameismatt89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
alright, well i just recently purchased Toast (i decided to buy it because it seems like a really good program to use). When i try to put several files on it under 1GB (for a total of less than 4.7 GB) it still says that i do not have enough room on the disc and can therefore only have one file on it under 1GB. Why does it do this?

mynameismatt89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
Hello all,

I just recently purchased Toast to burn some .avi files to dvd's to watch on my dvd player. I was wondering though: each file is about 700mb large and when i add them to toast to be burned to the dvd it says something about there not being enough room. If i am only adding 2 or 3 700mb files onto a dvd that is capable of holding 4.7GB why does it not work? Is there some compression i have to do or something? Any help would be greaty apprecieted.

PS. I posted a reply in my other post entitled 'dvd burning' asking this question but thought it would be better to make a post regarding this specific topic. That post can be deleted.

It is Toast 8 Titanium btw...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
You have to realize that you're not trying to burn data per se, you're burning video. I am assuming the 700MB AVI files are 2 hours r so in length, and DVDs can only hold about 2 hours of video. As a result, you will need to compress those videos to make them fit on a DVD, although Toast should do that for you I believe.

But yes, if you were burning the AVIs simply as data files, for storage on a DVD, then you could hold 4.7 GBs of data - movie files, music files, photos, documents, whatever. But since you are tyring to burn a playable video, it doesn't work this way. :cool:

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
It sounds like it is transcoding them to MPEG-2, to create a standard DVD-ROM (UDF) (VIDEO_TS). If each AVI is a 2 hr movie, it will take up most of a DVD after it's converted to MPEG-2.

I believe some DVD players can play AVI (DIVX, I presume), but it probably is burned as an ISO Data disk (similar to what would be done with a MP3 CD).

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
You're burning it as a standard DVD for standard playback, so source filesizes are out the window.

How long, playback wise, are the files? Odds are you're running off the end of the disc w/ the current MPEG bitrate settings for DVD Video. You might be able to tweak the bitrate, otherwise you'll have to span across discs.

mynameismatt89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
oh ok, thanks guys... i did not know it worked that way. Do you know how to compress it in Toast? Because i do not see an option for it.

Nosebleed

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2006
New Zealand
Or...to really complicate things (sorry)

Open your .avi in Quicktime.
'Save as' a .mov (Quicktime Self-contained movie)
and then drop the .mov into iDVD

just a thought...

mynameismatt89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
i cant save in quicktime without quicktime 7. but thank you. Toast 8 has been working fine even though it takes forever to convert and then burn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.