Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Ok, I am planning to buy an "old" style 20Gb iPod. What do you think? Can anyone think of any reasons not to? I am not bothered about not having the games. All I will use it for is my music + as a hard disk. Also, if it is PC formatted how would I format it so that I can use it on the Mac? It will play my AAC's fine wont it? Anyone?

Thanks

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
What are the prices on those 20's? I have often wondered this myself. The new ones are so cool, but how can you bear givinging up 20Gig for a good price? The way I see it, Apple is going to phase out the old and bring in the new as far as software is concerned. So I would say go with a new one.

But...20gig @ good price...I can't decide...

P-Worm

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Re: What do you think of (iPod)...

Originally posted by Falleron
Also, if it is PC formatted how would I format it so that I can use it on the Mac? It will play my AAC's fine wont it? Anyone?

Apple has a firmware update available on their web site. This will take care of running it on a Mac.

Yes, it will work with AAC. Again, I believe it's an update that you download from the Apple website.

Dan

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
There are only 2 things that I can think of why you shouldn't. 1-You won't be able to use iPod software version 2.0, which includes some new features not avaiable in 1.3. 2-The 20 GB is really big compared to the new line of iPods. I've seen a picture of a 2G 5 GB iPod next to a 30 GB G3 iPod, and the 30 GB iPod was smaller. I think the 20 GB iPod is the heavest and thickest iPod Apple has made. I am not sure though.

Other than that, you are good to go.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Go for it. Playlists on the fly is the only decent feature; the way i see it it's not worth the tradeoff. The older iPods have a much better, more intuitive, easy control system...

pnw

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
software should not be a big factor in your decision.

the things that i would be concerned about are: A - the 20gb iPod is a big mother! and the new iPod's feel small, despite a relative small change in dimesnions. i attribute this to the smoothe edges on the face. the new iPod's are however significantly lighter than any of the older range.

the other thing is that some older iPod's had battery issues. you'd want to make sure you could trust the source and if possible, bu with a warranty.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Originally posted by melchior
the 20gb iPod is a big mother!

the other thing is that some older iPod's had battery issues. you'd want to make sure you could trust the source and if possible, bu with a warranty.

rofl!!! The old ipods are the size of a deck of cards... oh man, this is funny... we've gotten awfully spoiled if that is considered "a big mother." I barely notice my 5 gig ipod in my pocket.

as for the battery issues, ipod software 1.3 takes care of that. And battery life is better on the old ones. If you don't care about the new games and such, the old ones at a heavy discount are the better deal by far.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by P-Worm
What are the prices on those 20's? I have often wondered this myself. The new ones are so cool, but how can you bear givinging up 20Gig for a good price? The way I see it, Apple is going to phase out the old and bring in the new as far as software is concerned. So I would say go with a new one.

But...20gig @ good price...I can't decide...

P-Worm
Thanks for the replies. Here in the UK I can get a 20Gb version for £280 or I could get "new" style 15Gb for £300. Seems to make more sense that I get the 20Gb version. I have 11Gb of music already.

Do people think that compatibility of the "old" iPods will be a problem in a couple of years??

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
go for the new 30gb..

Originally posted by paulwhannel
Go for it. Playlists on the fly is the only decent feature; the way i see it it's not worth the tradeoff. The older iPods have a much better, more intuitive, easy control system...

pnw

dont forget the alarm and the thinner-lighter design...

I'd say go for the new 30gb iPod if there is not too much difference with the price.. It's thinner n lighter than the old 20gb and it has 10gb more space...

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
dont forget the usb support and the dock..

you say you're using PCs.. so definitely go for the new ipods because the new ones have usb support.. most of the pcs doesnt have firewire ports unless you buy a firewire card for an extra 50$... as an old ipod user, I cannot transfer files via iPod just because my friends PCs does not have firewire ports..

On the other hand, the line-out in the dock of the new iPods is a great feature too.. they say the basses and the general sound output is better when you plugin your speakers to iPod via the line-out of the dock..

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
Real simple. If I did not already have one, I would buy the new style because it is the most up-to-date...etc. However, since I already have one, the new one is not enough of a change for me to justify upgrading.

Give me the ability to display jpgs, short movies, or something really new and then I will buy a new one. I just can't see spending money upgrading just so I can change my playlist "on the fly" and play a couple games. The new look is nice, but people are still awe struck when they get to hold my old 5 gigger.

Just my thoughts.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Ok, I have a dilema now! I would love a new style iPod. Here are my options:

20Gb iPod = £280 (Old style)
15Gb iPod = £276 (New style)
30Gb iPod = £370

I dont think I can really stretch from around 280 to 370. I also have to buy an 12V adaptor as well. Plus, if I got the 15Gb version then i would have already nearly filled it with my collection.

Cant make up my mind. I currently have on order a 20Gb version but may cancel it + get the 30Gb version. I dont know what to do.

ThoughtKriminal

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2003
Im perfectly happy with my old 10giger. a few games, usb, and better playlists.. big whoop i still have 2,000 songs where ever i want them. i personally think its still the best system around.

i dont really think the old ipod will ever be obsolete unless apple makes it obsolete with old software.

EDIT- my point being, if you want an ipod and want it cheap.. go for the old style imho you wont be disappointed.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
How many gigs of music do you have? If you have 15 or less, then I would go for the 15 or new 10 GB, because of the slimmer design. Plus, with the 15 GB, you get the dock.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
two reasons to be wary of buying an old-style ipod at this point:

1. if it's used (probably is), you don't know the condition of the battery. it may be partially cooked.

2. it's an unknown what apple will be doing w/ the new style connector. there may be some really cool things in store.

that said, i like the controls on the old ipod better.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by MacFan25
How many gigs of music do you have? If you have 15 or less, then I would go for the 15 or new 10 GB, because of the slimmer design. Plus, with the 15 GB, you get the dock.
I have about 11Gb of music now.

The iPod I have ordered is from the refurb store + therefore will have a full Apple Guarantee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.