PDA

View Full Version : Ipod HD damage

Partyfreak
May 21, 2003, 02:26 PM
Hi there...!
I have one last question before buying myself an Ipod...
If I run, jump or do any other kind of psysically activity will the Ipod's HD then take damage.
A normal disc probably would, but I've heard that the Ipod's disc should be special in some kind of way...

PS: I'm not sure that I posted the right place. (first time in here)

JPGR_Fan
May 21, 2003, 03:11 PM
Don't know about actual damage, but don't expect it to play beyond fifteen minutes of jogging. My 30 freezes up at that point.

ja0912
May 21, 2003, 03:17 PM
My 10GB (last version) plays just fine while jogging, etc.

ryme4reson
May 21, 2003, 03:18 PM
I run 5 miles every two days on concrete (in the streets) and mountian bike 3 days a week (18miles plus) and I have no problems with my 10 gig iPod. I love that little guy :)

bennetsaysargh
May 21, 2003, 04:23 PM
i use it on my bus ride from schol to home and home to school, and it doen't skip. (my bus is really bumpy on a very bumpy route)

it has 20 minutes of anti-skip protection.

rainman::|:|
May 21, 2003, 05:40 PM
he didn't ask about skipping. he asked about actual damage to the HD.

i was very concerned with this too-- i mean, a HD is a delicate piece of equipment, and you're carring it around, etc... But let me tell you, i've dropped mine many times (damn things are a bit slippery), left it in both extreme cold (below 0F) and extreme hot (in my car, about 100F+)... the damn thing just keeps going. I don't know if it's because the drive is small or what, but do not expect normal activity to damage it.

Some people have talked about holding it upright rather than horizontal, which may help-- that way if there's a shock, the read/write heads will just slip, not actually strike the platters. Whether or not this makes a difference is still unclear... Tho i keep mine upright in my car (complete with my delightful iTrip) :)

As for skipping. The skip protection can't be measured in minutes, as it's a 32mb buffer-- a lower bitrate will result in more music. Also the iPod does not spin-up the HD every time a song is finished to load a new one into the buffer queue-- so if you're at the end of a cycle, and you put the thing on a jackhammer, it might well start skipping after a couple of minutes... so don't do that. anything else, you should be fine--

:)
pnw

bennetsaysargh
May 21, 2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
he didn't ask about skipping. he asked about actual damage to the HD.

i was very concerned with this too-- i mean, a HD is a delicate piece of equipment, and you're carring it around, etc... But let me tell you, i've dropped mine many times (damn things are a bit slippery), left it in both extreme cold (below 0F) and extreme hot (in my car, about 100F+)... the damn thing just keeps going. I don't know if it's because the drive is small or what, but do not expect normal activity to damage it.

Some people have talked about holding it upright rather than horizontal, which may help-- that way if there's a shock, the read/write heads will just slip, not actually strike the platters. Whether or not this makes a difference is still unclear... Tho i keep mine upright in my car (complete with my delightful iTrip) :)

As for skipping. The skip protection can't be measured in minutes, as it's a 32mb buffer-- a lower bitrate will result in more music. Also the iPod does not spin-up the HD every time a song is finished to load a new one into the buffer queue-- so if you're at the end of a cycle, and you put the thing on a jackhammer, it might well start skipping after a couple of minutes... so don't do that. anything else, you should be fine--

:)
pnw

sorry about that. anyway, 100+degrees? below 0 degrees? how can you still mak it run? a lot of things souldn't be out in over 90degrees and below 32 degrees. wow. this is the older ones with no dock, right?