Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Hahaha - that's pretty damn funny. So what did she say when she gave them out?

D

I don't know, it was weird. All these women were screaming because Oprah apparently was giving away all this free stuff and then she was like; "Check this out...the iPod!". And then it was just like this dead silence. You could hear crickets in there. I think the only 2 guys in the crowd were psyched but the women had no clue what it was. They didn't make a peep until Oprah announced that it costs $399. Then they all went ape$h!t. It was pretty funny.

Phazer80s

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Above the 49th
Oprah gives away iPods to entire audience

Well, her entire STUDIO audience, that is.

Today she included the Apple iPod as one of her Favorite Things for Spring, and gave away 15-gig models to her studio audience. Jealousy's setting in...

It would have been cool to have the iTunes Music Store included, but we can't have everything. Regardless, mention of an Apple product that's 'everybody-ready' (Mac AND Windows compatible, all over the world) makes it better for O's audience. The promo is a bit of the mainstream exposure Apple needs in abundance. :cool:

If you get a chance to see the show, originally broadcast on May 21, 2003, the iPod segment came a bit after the 30-minute point.

http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200305/tows_past_20030521_b.jhtml

Phazer80s

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Above the 49th
Re: Oprah Just Gave Away 350 iPods...

Originally posted by tjwett
Yup, she just handed out 350 free 15Giggers to an audience of confused chicks. They were WAY more excited about the free flip-flops and lotion. What a waste.

Maybe those iPods will go to good homes.:p

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i saw it becvause my mom now starts getting excited whenever anything apple comes on TV. she was like "holy S**T!"
i was in complete awe. i can't believe it! i hope the people in the audience know that you have to put your own music onto it:D

tjwett

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Confused...

Who is editing this thread? The original subject I posted has been changed and I didn't have an Oprah link in my original post. Weird.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Confused...

Originally posted by tjwett
Who is editing this thread? The original subject I posted has been changed and I didn't have an Oprah link in my original post. Weird.

Look at the very bottom of your first post.

Lethal

tjwett

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Re: Confused...

Originally posted by LethalWolfe
Look at the very bottom of your first post.

Lethal

I take it that's a moderator? I guess so because it's been moved, I originally posted in General. Oh well, I couldn't care less, just I've never seen that happen before.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Mr. Anderson is a moderator...it says so under his name...as does under my own... ;)

but that is quite sad...I would have loved the free flip flops myself... :eek: :D

DarkNovaMatter

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2001
LOLS! I was flipping around the channels and noticed that Opera was on (never watched it before, I am more of a Deus Ex person....) and since I had read this topic before I still had it in my mind. It was the show you were speaking of, SON OF A *****! All the women in the audience were wondering what the heck the iPod was but the few guys looked liked kids on X-mas morning. The women only started to cheer when they were told how many songs it could hold and its price (That really seemed sort of odd). Oh the ipod dock has an audio out port on it? or were they using the jack on the iPod itself? My only other question is did Apple give 350 iPods or did Opera buy 350 iPods? (350x400 = $140,000). Oh is this a show that they simply give away items to the crowd?, It sure seems like that............

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Talk about absolutely priceless advertising! Can you imagine what this will do for iPod sales?! I don't watch tv but from what I hear about Oprah, whenever she endorses something sales skyrocket.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by applemacdude
i want an ipod...:(

Don't worry. You can save up for an iPod. I'm your age (about), and it only took me a year and a half (since they came out) to save up for the mid range. Birthday gift cards, Christmas gift cards, and various odd jobs for nieghbors is how I got it. Unless if you have rich parents, which I don't, that's what you gotta do! If in your state it's possible to get a P/T job, then try that.

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
Don't worry. You can save up for an iPod. I'm your age (about), and it only took me a year and a half (since they came out) to save up for the mid range. Birthday gift cards, Christmas gift cards, and various odd jobs for nieghbors is how I got it. Unless if you have rich parents, which I don't, that's what you gotta do! If in your state it's possible to get a P/T job, then try that.

im gonna save up until the next revision

tazo

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
1.5 years for 400 dollars? my gawd that is a long time.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Waste

I wonder what % of the studio audience will utilize the iPod. What a waste. I hope they have the decency to give it to a Mac crazy relative. :mad:

tjwett

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by tazo
i am so ****ing jealous. lol. gawd and they are free tickets to the show. writing in a letter to get tickets...and a 400 dollar ipod. wow.

dude, forget $400. turns out she gave away over a MILLION dollars worth of crap to that audience of 348 women and 2 dudes. my sister said Oprah does that sometimes, usually around Christmas. and yeah, she pays for all of it herself. poor Oprah, her life must really suck huh?

JaKweeze

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2003
Tampa Florida
ACTUALLYYYY if you guys all care that much while I was visiting my grandma this afternoon and watching opera with her (which she actually looked hot for part of the show... weird I know... specially since I'm only 20 and Opera is about one of five black people I've seen including Kurby Pucket (yes I'm from Minnesota)) ANY WAY... all the companies that are the makers of those products DONATE them to the show... she states in there that if they won't give her 350 of their items she won't put them on her favorites list and not advertise them on the show...

Furthermore there were 6 guys in the audience... only two got shown a lot because they kept on their nice spring crunchable hats that Opera gave them lol

=D

and yes I about crapped myself too when they put out the iPods...

and they were playing the music from the iPod not through the craddle but they had it plugged in through the headphone jack at the top using the wired remote then a black cord attached to that of some sort... probably a mini-stereo jack to RCA Stereo...

:)

~JaKweeze

P.s.
Opera is now my Hero lol

JaKweeze

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2003
Tampa Florida
Oh one more thing...

she said that they were giving away over 1million dollars that show to the audience... that's THREE THOUSAND bucks worth of crap per person just for sitting through an hour of Opera... I'd take that

And I think the guys would have looked better if they would have made them try on the sheek bras she was giving out =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.