PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV recording

Nipz
Jan 30, 2007, 05:00 PM
Sorry to sound stupid, but whats the 40GB HD for with the Apple TV?

Can you record TV onto to watch back later?

Thanks

AppleMatt
Jan 30, 2007, 05:09 PM
No, it doesn't have a tuner nor inputs to accept a stream from another device (digibox, DVD player etc). The hard-drive functions like that of an iPod in that it syncs everything in your iTunes and iPhoto library for immediate display on your HDMI/component enabled TV. The streaming function is used when you want to view content from other peoples computers (i.e. it isn't copied to the AppleTV because you don't own it).

Does that clarify it?

AppleMatt

Nipz
Jan 31, 2007, 03:08 PM

zap2
Jan 31, 2007, 03:12 PM
So if I have more then 40Gbs of Media, will it just stream it inplace os storeing it on the harddrive?

roland.g
Jan 31, 2007, 03:41 PM
So if I have more then 40Gbs of Media, will it just stream it inplace os storeing it on the harddrive?

I think if you have more than 40 than it will do the first 40 and that's it. I think you are best off selecting like for an iPod in the device portion, the playlists, podcasts, photo albums, videos, movies, tv shows, that you want to sync up to the 40.

Then you can always stream from that computer anything else you need to through the other computers function.

i.e. I plan on syncing all my photos and music but that's it.
I want to put all my DVDs on my external and stream those as I chose.
It will be interesting to see how well that works.

Currently I rip my movies in Handbrake.
I have aliases in my Movies folder.
The aliases are by genre, Comedy, Drama, Action, Suspense, etc.
Those are folders within a Movies folder on my external drive.
When I bring up front row and go to videos, I select, Movies and it brings up all my Genre folders and I can select which kind and see the movies in it.

I don't have a video iPod and have yet to purchase any iTS movies. So I don't know how this would affect syncing to my iPod or to an iPhone.
I suppose I can add those movies to the structure I have and then add them to the library so it doesn't copy them. We'll see. Not having seen an :apple:tv yet I don't know but that is the one thing I don't like. I want to classify by genre so that with a big enough library of movies I don't have to scroll through them all. The downside is that all iTS movies have cover art, and through Front Row doesn't. It is just the name, sometimes cut off, and if you leave it on long enough it starts playing to the left which is either the studio logo, or where you last left off.

Not a perfect world. Specially when all this is really in its infancy.

Sinsinnati
Jan 31, 2007, 08:29 PM
Do we know what size hard drive the Apple TV will handle? We should be able to open the box and drop a 200GB hard drive in there.

/dev/toaster
Jan 31, 2007, 08:48 PM
Do we know what size hard drive the Apple TV will handle? We should be able to open the box and drop a 200GB hard drive in there.

I hope that is the case. 40GB is very tiny but its just enough to cache a few things local before playing it.

I am going to have to stream 95% of my collection because its too large for a single drive now (and I am not even done encoding all of my DVDs yet!)