Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After years in development, and some delays, Microsoft's Vista launched to consumers today.

CNet and The New York Times report on the launch itself, which was met with only minimal excitement compared to the Windows 95 launch:

But the launch itself was a quiet affair in a midtown CompUSA store (the chain had organized midnight events at several of its stores), where it seemed like there were just as many reporters and camera crews as there were customers hoping to take home a copy of Vista.

Meanwhile, for Intel Mac owners interested in trying the new operating system, Gizmodo reports only limited graphical support for Microsoft's operating system under Parallels, but some forum users have had success installing Vista on Bootcamp.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well it's finally here. I don't have to support it at work yet! :D

I've played with Vista RC 2 and the test drive. Aero is very demanding for what it does. I had to many application issues to. Looks like I'm sticking with XP to game.

andyadler

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2007
Louisville, Ky USA
How much hard disk space will a typical Vista install require? I have a 120gb MBP, and I need to run at least one Windows program (Dragon Naturally Speaking) on it. Installing XP may end up to be a better choice, though.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Meh. I used to be quite interested in this before I switched 100%. I run Windows under Boot Camp with the idea that it be for the odd application but all I seem to use it for is the odd game and from what I can tell right now, Windows XP outperforms Vista on the games front so I guess I'll stick to XP.

I have to say, I am stinking of Apple smugness(tm) right now like you wouldn't believe (strokes his Tiger).

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
How much hard disk space will a typical Vista install require? I have a 120gb MBP, and I need to run at least one Windows program (Dragon Naturally Speaking) on it. Installing XP may end up to be a better choice, though.
I installed the RC2 of Vista Ultimate, and it took a little over 8 gigs for the standard install.

Grakkle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
Earth
Bah. Everyone knows that MS just copied OS X, and when Leopard comes out we'll leave them in the dust again.

Actually MS is already in the dust - I still can't believe how crude XP is when I've used it since switching. Haven't used Vista yet, but it'll be interesting to see how it is.

Grakkle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
Earth
It will probably take a few weeks for the prices to come down, but it will happen soon.

Of course it will. A lot of people might wait a few months to buy Vista, to wait out the bugs, but after that XP will be dead. It'll probably be available for half what it's selling for now.

That's what happened with 2000 and Millennium when XP came out.

Croatian

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Microsoft Vista ... hahaha .... half the stuff on it is a copy from Mac OS X .... the widgets, the spotlight, and many more :D

also, i have parallels running on my MB ... since i need to use AutoCAD for my work .. i run XP .. i don't see why would anyone want to run Vista on there computer ..

from what i hear that they are coming out with the first Vista upgrade by end of the year ... i mean .. from my experiance .. if i was 2 buy a cell phone and 4 months later i needed to take it in to get a better antenna i would want my money back

and why not just stick to XP if u really need Windows .. it seems to be more stable the Vista and more stuff works with it.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Hmm, Vista was huge at our store today.

I guess its because we were giving away 512MB of RAM, Live Onecare, and Taxcut to anyone who bought the Home Premium, Business or Ultimate versions.

Its a pretty nice OS, but is rather demanding on hardware.

Dont expect XP to drop at all, in fact, Microsoft is actually having retailers send back their copies of XP. XP shows up in our computer inventory systems as discontinued. So, I guess its not going to be like when XP originally came out, when they were still pumping out copies of Windows 98 SE for years.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
Dont expect XP to drop at all, in fact, Microsoft is actually having retailers send back their copies of XP. XP shows up in our computer inventory systems as discontinued. So, I guess its not going to be like when XP originally came out, when they were still pumping out copies of Windows 98 SE for years.

that's one of the major reasons i bought a macbook at all. i was not going to vista because i didn't like it at all, and wanted to run xp for years to come. looks like ms is trying to kill off xp as soon as possible in order to get everyone to buy the garbage that is vista. that's when i said i was through with ms.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
The CD case has been staring at me on the corner of my desk for about a week now. I finally gave in and loaded it up in BootCamp. I'm still exploring all the various feature but so far I'm somewhat impressed. MS got rid of about about 70% of the annoying crap that really turned me off in Beta 2. The other 30%? well about 20% of that I've been able to either turn off or find a tweak online. Suspend and Hibernate still doesn't work right on the MBP but that is purely in Apple's corner at this point. I really hope the final version of BootCamp comes with Vista drivers but I'm not going to hold my breath.

for anyone who wants to try out vista: http://www.windowsvistatestdrive.com/

Its got to be in IE though. But I understand why. MS lets you play around with virtual sessions on a server up in the sky somewhere. Enter an e-mail address (can be fake.) Click on one of the propa....I mean feature buttons. Then click on the test drive button. It will start up what I'm assuming is a Virtual Server session. You can jack up the resolution of you want more then the standard 800 x 600 window. Kinda slick.

PS- I do Dell warrantee work and over the last week I've had a ton of people ask me about Vista. I can barely hold in a laugh when they ask if their system with 256MB of RAM can run it. Oh the CPU is fine. The GPU with 64MB of VRAM is OK. But 256MB? Vista would fling the CD out of the optical drive so hard that it would embed itself in the wall on the opposite side of most rooms.
Basically I tell them wait a year. Which is the outright truth. Vista is Microsoft's OS 10.0. Its rough around the edges. (To be fair less so then what 10.0 was at the time.) But it has the right framework in place.

MacNtoss

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2007
I have Vista and it sucks guts...MAC OS X RULES (sorry for letting my inner fanboy out) I just had to say that, I want the whole world to know it!:D

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
Well it's finally here. I don't have to support it at work yet! :D

Me either *electronic high-five!* :)
....although I dread the day

I think that M$ might have actually built up too much excitement in Vista and since people are getting tired of windows anyways, oh hell I lost my train of thought lol
Either way, low Vista sales....saw it coming. :D

pascalpp

macrumors member
May 10, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
But the launch itself was a quiet affair in a midtown CompUSA store (the chain had organized midnight events at several of its stores), where it seemed like there were just as many reporters and camera crews as there were customers hoping to take home a copy of Vista.

Meanwhile over a hundred thousand people march on Washington to protest the escalation, and the media barely says a word.

"OOO VISTA! I'm all wet." --American Mainstream Media

Peligro

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2006
Chicago
I think things are really going to go a different direction with this release. People will finally start to see what all mac addicts talk about.

TheBobcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
East Lansing, Michigan
I don't know guys, Microsoft Windows (tm) Vista is a more secure operating system for the digital age. Not only can you know edit photo's in an operating system, Windows (tm) Vista also now includes the Windows (tm) Sidebar that has great little mini-applications that can not only get you news and weather, but also sports scores. Also, with Vista's brand new Aero interface, everything seems to be made of glass, that you want lick everything and put your face up against it. You can also see more 3D effects and visuals like never before possible in an operating system (only in Home Premium or better). These fantastic features are only found in the most secure and advanced operating system to date, Microsoft Windows (tm) Vista.

*Bobcat sends link of post to Monkey Man, receives check for $1500, cashes check, buys BlackBook. Feels guilty, sits in shower for 3 hours crying, calls Ballmer to give him his money back, Ballmer doesn't take it, I throw the money at him, I hang myself. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.