Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Hey all,
Can you import video from a VCR to iMovieHD? I know I can do this with a Mini DV tape from a camcorder. I have some older VHS tapes I would love to get onto DVD. And no, I do not have a DVD recorder.
Thanks

saga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Do any VCR's have firewire. I didn't think they did. What additional software/hardware would be needed?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey all,
Can you import video from a VCR to iMovieHD? I know I can do this with a Mini DV tape from a camcorder. I have some older VHS tapes I would love to get onto DVD. And no, I do not have a DVD recorder.
Thanks

The very best way to do this is to connect your VHS player to your Mini DV camera. Most cameras have a video-in. Then connect the DV camera to the Mac with firewire. Most camera will run in "pass through" mode but I think you are better off dubbing the VHS to Mini DV.

DV tapes are a good way to archive video. They are time coded so if you are using a decent non-linear editor (like Final Cut) you can at any time blow away the media files and recover by reloading the tape and not loose work. Also after converting to DV you can make loss-less copies

Do not try to use DVD as an input. DVDs use a lossy compression, mpeg-2 where as DV is much better quality

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.