PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Coming Earlier Than June?

MacRumors
Jan 30, 2007, 10:11 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Amidst the rumors of the new iPod Shuffles (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/30/apple-releases-multi-colored-ipod-shuffles/), one tidbit about the iPhone was missed.

ThinkSecret reports (http://notes.thinksecret.com/secretnotes/0701iphonenote.shtml) on chatter that the iPhone ship date may have been conservative. According to their sources, the iPhone may be shipping as early as April.

Meanwhile, Appleinsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2450) has heard similar buzz of an April launch date.

Both reports appear to represent unconfirmed whispers, and Appleinsider warns that "Apple rarely beats its own product launch forecasts."

mrkramer
Jan 30, 2007, 10:14 PM
This wouldn't surprise me since I think they said that approval from the FCC takes two months, so I was wondering what the extra time was for.

Chaszmyr
Jan 30, 2007, 10:16 PM
If they get the iPhone out in April, I will be a very happy camper. It's not that I need one sooner than June, but April seems kinda soonish, whereas June feels like it is forever away.

NewSc2
Jan 30, 2007, 10:18 PM
The next few months look good for Apple. iPhone, Leopard, new iLife, updated Mac Pros. Just you wait, by June the threads will be filled with love!

just kidding.

I bet June brings along "where are the @#%! Santa Rosa MBP's? Logic Pro 8 Thursday? widescreen iPod now!"

Grakkle
Jan 30, 2007, 10:20 PM
The next few months look good for Apple. iPhone, Leopard, new iLife, updated Mac Pros. Just you wait, by June the threads will be filled with love!

Everyone here is so down on Apple, eh?:p

I wouldn't be surprised - like any business they want to estimate the available date conservatively, and ship sooner if possible.

nagromme
Jan 30, 2007, 10:22 PM
I expect it later rather than sooner, judging by how incomplete the software is (as reported by hands-on previews). Once the software is feature complete, there is still more testing/debugging to be done.

Same goes for Leopard. Early would be fun, but I'm not betting on it.

mrkramer
I bet June brings along "where are the @#%! Santa Rosa MBP's? Logic Pro 8 Thursday?

Wouldn't that be next Tuesday not Thursday?

SkyBell
Hmm... wish they would release it in June.. *Checks bank balence* According to my wallet, I have $3.73 saved for the iPhone.:)

Do you think they will sell a "stripped" version?:p

jimN
Jan 30, 2007, 10:27 PM
Both reports appear to represent unconfirmed whispers, and Appleinsider warns that "Apple rarely beats its own product launch forecasts."

Except with the whole Intel roll out which took place far quicker than expected.

dontmatter
Jan 30, 2007, 10:30 PM
Yay! now everybody can be angry when the rumor turns out to be false, and it is, in fact, shipped on the last day of june.

But seriously, if this is true, that would be EXCELLENT, for apple's buisness, for customers, for my ability to be excited even though I have no direct stake in either.

I'd bet it's wrong though. Probably can be ordered with a plan at that date, or something of the sort.

ricksbrain
Jan 30, 2007, 10:30 PM
Apple could really capitalize on an early iPhone release if they also release Leopard at the same time. Mega buzz. Mega coverage.

I vote yes. :D

mrkramer
Jan 30, 2007, 10:31 PM
Hmm... wish they would release it in June.. *Checks bank balence* According to my wallet, I have $3.73 saved for the iPhone.:)

You've got more money saved for it than I do.:o Unfortunately i have to wait until next spring to get one.

p0intblank
Jan 30, 2007, 10:32 PM
If this is true, then extra kudos to Apple! Customers would love an early release. :D

twoodcc
Jan 30, 2007, 10:42 PM
well this sure would make me happy :) i hope it's true

Punkwaffle
Jan 30, 2007, 10:45 PM
Just some more juicy rumor info for ya.

I work for Cingular, and word is that in order to activate the iPhone, customers will have to do so through iTunes. Don't really know anything more about that, but it seems as if the IT dept has a scheduled date to install some software in the next few months at company stores.

MacNtoss
Jan 30, 2007, 10:48 PM
If im lucky the iPhone will be mine before the end of my school year!

Lixivial
Jan 30, 2007, 10:50 PM
Except with the whole Intel roll out which took place far quicker than expected.

I think there's a difference here, though. The iPhone was specifically stated as being released in June, while the Intel rollout was a nebulous date. Steve stated the Intel machines would arrive by WWDC '06. Anyroad, you're right that it did go faster than analysts had expected, and I'd be happy if the iPhone were finished/launched in April, but I don't hold my breath. I want this product stable (unlike the speedy Intel Mac rollout), and am hoping that, if it does launch in April, the demo iPhone was just artificially locked down.

I'm looking at it from the same perspective of how the iTV/:apple:tv progressed -- September demo, February release. Five to six month timespan.

dashiel
Jan 30, 2007, 11:16 PM
I expect it later rather than sooner, judging by how incomplete the software is (as reported by hands-on previews). Once the software is feature complete, there is still more testing/debugging to be done.

Same goes for Leopard. Early would be fun, but I'm not betting on it.

agreed. i think these reports are more wishful thinking than anything else. lord knows i'd be first in line for an iphone in april, but we haven't heard a single word about apple even applying for fcc approval yet.

i'm still hoping for a couple of additional features to sneak on board before june (gps and 3g).

Digital Skunk
Jan 30, 2007, 11:25 PM
:mad: :mad: why Cingular :mad: :mad:

Not that I want to start that descussion up again... I am just saying... dag.

Sooner or latter isn't good for me. It could come out in two years and I wouldn't be upset. It seems that I have to wait 5 years. :eek:

TheBobcat
Jan 30, 2007, 11:45 PM
In my opinion, what's the difference between a 4 month wait and a 6 month wait. (2 months duuuuh) I mean, really though, Apple's already in the luxury tax with a 6 month lull between announcement and release, slashing it by two isn't going to win over the people who didn't want an iPhone in the first place.

I say, take the extra time, polish the crap out of it, because there's a lot riding on the iPhone. Apple's image certainly is. If iPhone flops, then Apple has egg on their face on the biggest stage they've ever been on. Then Apple is no longer the symbol of cool, and everyone moves along.

Besides, if iPhone relies at all on iLife '07/Leopard, why not just release them closely, let them cross-promote each other. I say stay for June, hit your target, cross-promote iLife '07/Leopard, and have a really good WWDC.

Shagrat
Jan 30, 2007, 11:46 PM
If im lucky the iPhone will be mine before the end of my school year!

All your iPhones are belong to us!;)

koobcamuk
Jan 30, 2007, 11:53 PM
If they get the iPhone out in April, I will be a very happy camper. It's not that I need one sooner than June, but April seems kinda soonish, whereas June feels like it is forever away.

I guess May sounds just perfect then?

Philberttheduck
Jan 30, 2007, 11:55 PM
That's an interesting tidbit at the end, saying that Apple rarely releases products before their forecasted dates.

Hmm, didn't Jobs brag at the beginning of the keynote abuot how "We expected to get all the intel components into our systems by ____ months. We did it in 9(?)." Never rule out early releases. Of course, I wouldn't mind to see Apple revise(/tighten up the screws) the crap out of it before getting it out into the open.

Romanesq
Jan 31, 2007, 12:13 AM

My friend, I have word that it will be sooner and you are in the ballpark. :cool:

MauiMac
Jan 31, 2007, 12:14 AM

Sure they will... It'll be called the "iPod Video"... ;)

holamiamigos
Jan 31, 2007, 12:19 AM
wooo go apple release it early

iomar
Jan 31, 2007, 12:19 AM
Wow, I hope this is true! I can't wait until June.

gauchogolfer
Jan 31, 2007, 12:28 AM
Taking a look at the Apple.com job listings, there are tons of opportunities associated with iPhone. It makes me wonder how much there still is to do.

Camera, speaker, wifi, hardware, software, all of these are actively hiring.

Maybe it's all for iPhone 2.0?

justflie
Jan 31, 2007, 12:40 AM
Taking a look at the Apple.com job listings, there are tons of opportunities associated with iPhone. It makes me wonder how much there still is to do.

Camera, speaker, wifi, hardware, software, all of these are actively hiring.

Maybe it's all for iPhone 2.0?

lol, i should hope it's for v2.0. After all, they do have to manufacture these things before june (or whenever they're released). They can't develop up to the end of may and start selling june 1st afterall.

c-Row
Jan 31, 2007, 01:00 AM

Of course. (http://www.mac-essentials.de/stuff/iphone_readymech.pdf) :p

balamw
Jan 31, 2007, 01:00 AM
One's already available in that price range.

http://www.sneakmove.com/2007/01/diy-cut-and-fold-paper-iphone.html

:p

LOL: great minds think alike.

B

SiliconAddict
Jan 31, 2007, 01:08 AM
Yah. Something else may be coming out earlier then expected. Its called iDon'tcare. You too can take it for a test run today. All that is required is to not be overly impressed with the iPhone.
Apple has a winner on their hands. If they had done this. If they had done that. If they hadn't done this or that. A lot of ifs involved with this phone, and more then a few people irked off as well with some of their decisions. Like Cing....AT&T to name one of the bigger ones. Gah. I just want to crawl back under the covers for another few years. Uninspiring doesn't begin to cover it. :(

c-Row
Jan 31, 2007, 01:19 AM
:p

LOL: great minds think alike.

B

And even at the very same minute! :D

SRSound
Jan 31, 2007, 01:21 AM
I AM SO SICK OF PEOPLE RATING EVERYTHING NEGATIVE! How can an earlier ship date be bad? How can hidden features be bad? How can new products that weren't even announced or anticipated be bad? What's wrong with you people? This is just as stupid as people anticipating "rev B" of the iPhone - before anyone even knows what the original will do!

bretm
Jan 31, 2007, 01:29 AM
This wouldn't surprise me since I think they said that approval from the FCC takes two months, so I was wondering what the extra time was for.

Extra time = 2 months to possibly not get approved. 1 month to make adjustments required. 2 months to get approved again.

HOWEVER, with that in mind there are other things that have to be sceduled like rate plans, web announcements, brochures, etc. etc. I'm sure it could happen early but they may already have things in the the pipeline.

Who knows. Early would be killer.

Rodimus Prime
Jan 31, 2007, 01:42 AM
I AM SO SICK OF PEOPLE RATING EVERYTHING NEGATIVE! How can an earlier ship date be bad? How can hidden features be bad? How can new products that weren't even announced or anticipated be bad? What's wrong with you people? This is just as stupid as people anticipating "rev B" of the iPhone - before anyone even knows what the original will do!
well knowing apple there are 2 release dates. The date that you can order them and in la la land they are shipped and the typical you wait weeks for your unit to ship. So I could easily see the La La and shipping date being early but I really do not see the iPhone making into people hands until after June.

That why it could be bad. La la land ship date do a lot of harm to apple. People expect to be able to walk into a store in June and buy this phone but apple more than likely will be in short supply so now people will get ticket off at apple and the general public is not very forgiving.

mashinhead
Jan 31, 2007, 02:06 AM
i'm gonna go with a no on the early release. I can't attest to it nor do i have any reliable source inside apple, but i just have a hunch. I think it will come out in june and if it comes out early it will be by weeks not months.:apple:

ebouwman
Jan 31, 2007, 02:07 AM
Extra time = 2 months to possibly not get approved. 1 month to make adjustments required. 2 months to get approved again.

HOWEVER, with that in mind there are other things that have to be sceduled like rate plans, web announcements, brochures, etc. etc. I'm sure it could happen early but they may already have things in the the pipeline.

I agree, early could be a killer, i feel like a fool but i just heard about the iPhone over the weekend :eek:

I've been hearing snippets about it for the last year or so and not really noticed it.

About a year ago somebody told me about the next gen iPod that was full screen, i thought ya right...

A month ago i heard something about and iPhone and i thought it was something to do with iChat, similar to Skype...

And i've probably seen that add splashed across the apple home page a few times...

But it didnt' hit me until this weekend...

So maybe it would be good to keep delayed till june so everybody gets wind of it... (or maybe i need to start paying attention more) :p

martijn.s
Jan 31, 2007, 02:12 AM

and that was one of the very few times Apple actually pre announced product.

the Apple TV was on time (or a bit early) too..

most of the software was not ready at the keynote (i saw some bugs in safari, apps were missing), but nothing that would take more than a few months to solve.

to be sure we should just be looking at the FCC approval applications.

ebouwman
Jan 31, 2007, 02:35 AM
if u buy it, i won't buy it until next year, or whenever i get sick of or break my iPod 5.5 G :p

shrimpdesign
Jan 31, 2007, 02:54 AM
A lot of ifs involved with this phone, and more then a few people irked off as well with some of their decisions. Like Cing....AT&T to name one of the bigger ones.
Like any US Carrier is great. :rolleyes:

I keep hearing people complain about Cingular. I'm sure if it was on Sprint, people would complain, and same with Verizon. The thing is, all the carriers suck, and no matter which one Apple picked, they'd still get flack for it.

So stop whining just because Cingular isn't you personal preference.

Porco
Jan 31, 2007, 03:01 AM
As long as all the hardware, software and features are tested to oblivion before release, the earlier the better. But this could be one of the most important hardware launches ever for Apple, I hope they don't rush it.

Some_Big_Spoon
Jan 31, 2007, 03:03 AM
$20 says June. It'll be the second coming, but it'll be June.

iPodAddict
Jan 31, 2007, 03:05 AM
Yay! now everybody can be angry when the rumor turns out to be false, and it is, in fact, shipped on the last day of june.

Got that right. Now that I'm counting on an April release, if it doesn't come then I'm going to be super-pissed.

Object-X
Jan 31, 2007, 03:12 AM
Why say Apple rarely beats it's own dates? They do it all the time. I think they do it on purpose. Let's see, the latest example: "we'll transition to Intel in a year", they did it in 7 months. :apple:TV in the first quarter? Shipping in a few days. Not sure I remember the last time they failed to meet their own imposed deadlines.

Of course, they rarely announce things in advance, so you never really know. It has seemed a little odd to me that two big announcements in recent months were future products. :apple:TV and iPhone. I guess you can make a strategic case for those two annoucements, but most of the time they announce something in advance they meet or beat their estimate. The 3GHz G5 being a notable exception. Not really Apple's fault. IBM promised something they couldn't deliver.

MattyMac
Jan 31, 2007, 03:30 AM
Please let that be true!

CrackedButter
Jan 31, 2007, 04:04 AM

For $3.73 I think you will get just the "Home" button.

sunfast
Jan 31, 2007, 05:03 AM
Spare a thought for those of us that won't see the iPhone release until the end of the year!

Not that I can afford one, but I'm very interested to see one for real.

Poff
Jan 31, 2007, 05:18 AM
The earlier it comes, the sooner they get to correct the bugs, the sooner they get to put out rev2, the sooner they get to sell me one. (hopefully) :D

Hattig
Jan 31, 2007, 05:28 AM

Maybe they're rating the story negative rather than the content of the story.

The rating system here doesn't make it clear what you should be rating. In this case the story seems nebulous and hopeful, so it's not very likely, hence negative.

zac4mac
Jan 31, 2007, 06:19 AM
I almost voted negative, because my checkbook isn't ready yet. Figuring that too selfish, I think sooner is better than later for everybody else. Guess I'll make the paper fold-up for now...

I keep thinking about the cost, but I remember paying 600 bucks not too long ago for a 60GB vidPod - now they're 350, for 20 more GB, go figure.

Z

Rychiar
Jan 31, 2007, 06:49 AM
well if this rumor is true and my contract aint up till august ill happily wait till then in hopes of a revision by september:p

hollerz
Jan 31, 2007, 06:55 AM
:d

WRXHokie
Jan 31, 2007, 07:31 AM
Definite positive... and thank god for tax refunds!!

zoetropeuk
Jan 31, 2007, 07:34 AM
Of course. (http://www.mac-essentials.de/stuff/iphone_readymech.pdf) :p

That would have to be the saddest thing I think I've ever seen :rolleyes:

Leoff
Jan 31, 2007, 07:48 AM

There are many different reasons for any particular post or article to be rated negative, most of which have nothing to do with the actual item being talked about.

- People are sick of reading endless rumors about a product and just want the damn thing released.

- The source of such rumors can be suspect because of previous wrong information.

- Grammar Nazis can come out of the woodwork.

In this case, I believe most of the "negatives" are not commenting on the iPhone itself, but rather how suspicously wrong this rumor sounds.

iSee
Jan 31, 2007, 08:35 AM
Isn't ThickSecrect the rumor site with the sources that are (almost) always wrong? For example, we didn't see new displays and 8-core Mac yesterday.

WRXHokie
Jan 31, 2007, 09:04 AM
Isn't ThickSecrect the rumor site with the sources that are (almost) always wrong? For example, we didn't see new displays and 8-core Mac yesterday.

Yeah but they were right about the new shuffles and the n upgrade.

aLoC
Jan 31, 2007, 09:11 AM
Awesome, the Apple phone is coming earlier. I was talking to this guy from 1878 the other day who said telephones were the latest thing.

aLoC
Jan 31, 2007, 09:12 AM

They used to be the most accurate by far until Apple sued them and since then they're a real mixed bag.

Chupa Chupa
Jan 31, 2007, 09:28 AM
I seriously doubt this.

1) It's Feb and the phone does not have FCC approval yet

2) Once their is FCC approval it will take a couple months to ramp up production and make sure there are not any major bugs or issues with the production units

To say this vaporware will be in stores in 2-3 months is just based in fantasy. June is pretty ambitious as-is.

Romanesq
Jan 31, 2007, 09:37 AM
and learn.

The Iphone will be out before June. Without a doubt.
FCC is not going to hold this up. The Democratic Congress hasn't had enough time to tax and regulate ... yet. :p

Leoff
Jan 31, 2007, 10:00 AM
I seriously doubt this.

1) It's Feb and the phone does not have FCC approval yet

2) Once their is FCC approval it will take a couple months to ramp up production and make sure there are not any major bugs or issues with the production units

To say this vaporware will be in stores in 2-3 months is just based in fantasy. June is pretty ambitious as-is.

1) How do we know they don't have FCC approval yet?

2) Production has probably been going full steam since before the announcement. Apple can produce as many as they want, they just can't SELL them until they get the FCC's approval I believe.

scu
Jan 31, 2007, 10:04 AM
I doubt they will release it much sooner than June. One reason is that Apple wants to make sure they have enough of these babies to keep up with demand. The June date seems much more realistic. What I think Steve is wrong about is the 10 million sold. They will sell double that by the end of 2008.

Many who bought an iPod in the last 5 years will hold off in upgrading until the iPhone comes out. Millions like myself have bought the new shuffles and will wait for the iPhone.

If they do release it in April I will be one happy camper.:D

princealfie
Jan 31, 2007, 10:06 AM
This tidbit came from the Colbert Report eh? :eek:

Chaszmyr
Jan 31, 2007, 10:10 AM

2) Production has probably been going full steam since before the announcement. Apple can produce as many as they want, they just can't SELL them until they get the FCC's approval I believe.

1. We know they don't have FCC approval yet because there hasnt been time, even if they submitted it to the FCC on the day of MWSF.

2. I don't think they'd take such a huge risk as actually assembling them before they got FCC approval, but they might manufacture a lot of the parts in the mean time.

Lets say the FCC got the iPhone on January 9th. Apple might get approval by say March 9, then ramp up production on March 16th. That would give them more than plenty of time to ship by the end of April. There are other things going on behind the scenes, of course. Apple is updating their software, and AT&T is updating their network, but it is not unreasonable to think Apple could get the iPhone onto the market by the end of April.

Chupa Chupa
Jan 31, 2007, 10:19 AM

1) FCC approval is a matter of public record. That is why Apple pre-announced in the first place. They didn't want the FCC to announce the iPhone.

2) Obviously you don't understand the reason for FCC approval. It's not a rubber stamp procedure. The FCC tests the phone to make sure it doesn't conflict with other radio waves or use prohibited radio waves. For Apple to start production before approval would not only be folly, it would be the makings for a stock-owner class action lawsuit against Apple if the FCC required changes. Apple may be gathering parts, printing manuals, and such, but I assure you Apple isn't starting production until they get a letter from the FCC.

I think those of you who think Apple can fast track production for April don't understand production logistics. Apple doesn't have an empty factory and they just have to push a button and 1 million units spit out. It's a lot more complicated than that.

SpinThis!
Jan 31, 2007, 10:20 AM
Any development is good development. Even after the iPhone is released there's going to be features added I'd imagine and to address bugs/gripes.

Software is the easiest part to get right (and wrong for that matter). Once you have the hardware set, it's all software from that point.

Leoff
Jan 31, 2007, 10:25 AM
1) FCC approval is a matter of public record. That is why Apple pre-announced in the first place. They didn't want the FCC to announce the iPhone.

2) Obviously you don't understand the reason for FCC approval. It's not a rubber stamp procedure. The FCC tests the phone to make sure it doesn't conflict with other radio waves or use prohibited radio waves. For Apple to start production before approval would not only be folly, it would be the makings for a stock-owner class action lawsuit against Apple if the FCC required changes. Apple may be gathering parts, but I assure you Apple isn't starting production until they get a letter from the FCC.

1) Yep, FCC approval is a matter of public record. I'm just wondering if anyone in the public has bothered to yet check on if it's been approved or not yet.

2) I do understand the FCC approval guidelines. I can assure you, however, that Apple isn't simply sitting on their hands waiting for the FCC's final go ahead. They've got pre-production units and parts lined up, ready for any possible tweaks the FCC might require.

Basically it comes down to how we define "production." Some make it sound like Apple doesn't even have the outer shell casings made, others are talking about the finished product already in boxes. There is a lot of middle ground.

mac jones
Jan 31, 2007, 10:50 AM
Well

Given how Stevie boy is into this thing you can be sure that if a fast track exists it will be on it.

bilbo--baggins
Jan 31, 2007, 10:58 AM
I think Apple stated June as a 'worst case scenario'. Unlike many other companies who keep missing their scheduled release dates, or who announce products that never even make it to the market (a certain Motorola smartphone springs to mind), I think Apple know how bad that looks. Much better to announce a worst case scenario, and then if everything goes smoothly then they can bring things forward a little.

When Apple announced the Intel transition I had a sneeking feeling that they would release them early. On the one hand, they didn't want to tell the developers 'we're switching to intel and they'll be on sale in 6 months' - make the developers think they've got plenty of time to prepare. But on the other hand, if sales of PPC are bound to stall then really they want to get them out asap (obviously the consumer models where universal binary iLife is bundled is a different scenario to the Mac Pro where many people are waiting for CS3).

bretm
Jan 31, 2007, 11:33 AM
wooo go apple release it early

The only post more pointless that that one was this one. Woo hoo!

toneloco2881
Jan 31, 2007, 12:17 PM
1) Yep, FCC approval is a matter of public record. I'm just wondering if anyone in the public has bothered to yet check on if it's been approved or not yet.

There's people who peruse FCC filings everyday for fun, just to see what new gear is coming. TRUST, once the iPhone even has a mention it's going to be relayed at every gadget related blog on the planet.

On a tangential note, why do people keep saying the intel macs were early? Steve said they wanted to have them shipping "by" WWDC 2006. I always thought they were coming sooner rather than later, and would have been more surprised if they didn't come out last January. This seems to be one of those things that's propagated in the tech world without merit.

Chupa Chupa
Jan 31, 2007, 12:21 PM

2) I do understand the FCC approval guidelines. I can assure you, however, that Apple isn't simply sitting on their hands waiting for the FCC's final go ahead. They've got pre-production units and parts lined up, ready for any possible tweaks the FCC might require.

Basically it comes down to how we define "production." Some make it sound like Apple doesn't even have the outer shell casings made, others are talking about the finished product already in boxes. There is a lot of middle ground.

You are wondering if anyone has bothered to check to see if the phone the entire world is buzzing over has rec'd FCC approval yet. Really!? You don't think that won't be the lead story on every Mac/Cell Phone/CE blog on the planet when that moment occurs? Really!? You don't think bloggers and Wall Street analysts alike check the FCC database daily for pics and leads? Really!?

Also, there is only ONE definition of "production," and that is the actual assembly process which results in a finished product ready for retail. Any efforts leading up to that that are "pre-production." This is standard manufacturing nomenclature. There is no definition wiggle room.

Stuff like box printing, manuals ect., I'm sure is ongoing now. Any FCC changes will be noted in a tip in sheet in the manual and a sticker on the packaging box. Those are easy changes. But Apple is not going to go into production until it gets FCC approval.

sam10685
Jan 31, 2007, 01:01 PM
i had a feeling this was going to happen... Apple has a history of this kind of thing. i don't need a new phone though... i just want to play with it. :)

rdrr
Jan 31, 2007, 01:30 PM

Have they submitted the phone specs to the FCC yet? If not what is keeping them from doing it?

MrCrowbar
Jan 31, 2007, 02:48 PM
Have they submitted the phone specs to the FCC yet? If not what is keeping them from doing it?

The phone seems not to be done yet, what we saw at MWSF was merely a prototype. I suppose the product has to be complete, i.e hardware AND software when submitting it to the FCC. Most phone hardware could possibly do stuff that the FCC would not approve, but the firmware prevents that. I guess they will submit the phone to the FCC as soon as they have a bunch of final prototypes with working hardware and software. My guess is that there will be firmware upgrades via iTunes for new widgets and whatnot.

mergemedia
Jan 31, 2007, 03:37 PM
I would get the iPhone today if it was actually available. That thing is soo sexy. I'm not sure how the cingular service is going to work out around here. Most folks I know have verizon wireless. I hear apple originally contacted them, and offered to partner with them on the iPhone and verizon told them to fuff off because apple wanted part of the monthly revenues.

Verizon was foolish to say no, because customers like me are going to bail on them as soon as this iPhone is actually available elsewhere. The motorola Q is no match for the iPhone! :apple:

L3X
Jan 31, 2007, 03:38 PM
good news for the iphone buyers but what about the other cool stuff we've been waiting on...

JGowan
Jan 31, 2007, 04:06 PM
I expect it later rather than sooner, judging by how incomplete the software is (as reported by hands-on previews).Your sources of these previews are what links? I'd like to read them. Because everyone I've seen talking about the phone (save Pogue's) all have the same story of getting to hold the unit for 10-15 minutes. Hardly a preview.

I remember Steve showing a rather large preview of the device and all his shiz was working. I need some good reading. Please list your links for all of us here of these "previews".

I don't mean to sound sarcastic* but your naysay attitude of "judging by how incomplete the software is" -- I've scoured the 'net for info and about the only thing I haven't read about or seen a video of working is CAMERA, CALCULATOR, NOTES and the SETTINGS menu. I truly believe that with Apple's experience with their iSight cameras and their decades of software development for Calculators and Notes, I don't see the software as incomplete as your post makes it sound.

JGowan

* - maybe I do.

powermac_daddy
Jan 31, 2007, 04:21 PM
who cares........

Flowbee
Jan 31, 2007, 06:37 PM
who cares........

Touche! Obviously nobody cares about the iPhone.

I look forward to reading your next post.

fluidinclusion
Jan 31, 2007, 06:57 PM

Do you mean RAID Striping to back up your contents in case of a flash memory failure? :)

MrBigMac
Jan 31, 2007, 08:05 PM
OT: What is the status on the legal APPLE INC. using the term Iphone ? Anybody heard anything concrete yet ?

MrBig

EagerDragon
Jan 31, 2007, 08:41 PM
If cingular pays for me to break contract and the charges are the same (call and current data plan), I would consider switching. Otherwise is wait until current contract runs out.

EagerDragon
Jan 31, 2007, 08:49 PM

The FCC waits late in the cycle to anounce what it is reviewing, so it is likely that Apple already sent out the iPhone to the FCC (Probably in December). Apple is not stupid enough to sent in a phone that may not pass, remeber the factory has to crank the products, it would be too expensive to change it for other than software.
I say it comes out in late April along with Leopard and iLife/iWorks all integrated like a dream.

iPoodOverZune
Jan 31, 2007, 09:20 PM
When will zunePhone (or zPhone) arrive? :D
in brown color :)

iSee
Jan 31, 2007, 09:29 PM
Yeah but they were right about the new shuffles and the n upgrade.

No, they predicted new displays or at least display price cuts. No mention of shuffles ahead of time.

MrConspiracy
Feb 1, 2007, 11:24 AM
All your iPhones are belong to us!;)

YESSSSS!!!!! Someone did it! :p

shyataroo
Feb 1, 2007, 07:26 PM
I am thinking there is going to be an announcement by apple that they already sent the iPhone to the FCC back in december and by febuary its ready for sale.

ebouwman
Feb 2, 2007, 10:40 PM
When will zunePhone (or zPhone) arrive? :D
in brown color :)

who cares, iPhone all the way!!!!:cool: