PDA

View Full Version : Sad iPod = Sad Jason

bluemonkey
Jan 31, 2007, 09:30 AM
Monday night, my iPod displayed the dreaded sad iPod icon. It happened when the battery was very low and I plugged it into a Griffin SmartDeck. Then, the iPod froze and, upon restart, gave me the finger. I tried restarting a few times, then decided the battery must be too low or something, so I plugged it in for a couple of hours, and it booted up and synched with itunes.

The next day, it did the same thing, and I ended up restoring it and adding all my library back to it. It worked OK until Tuesday night. First of all, it suddenly failed to see any of the music on it, and after synching with itunes, it was there again, but still freezing on songs and giving me the sad iPod. I restarted it and put the back of it to my ear and heard the hard drive repeatedly try to spin. Finally, I just turned it off and back on, and it's worked ever since.

I think my happiness may be short lived. Has anyone else ever had a sporadic sad ipod icon? My ipod is a 30 gig 4g iPod photo. I've had it for year and a half and use it several hours a day. Any advice would be appreciated.

bluemonkey
Jan 31, 2007, 02:10 PM
bump. anyone know what's going on with my poor iPod?

lozanoj83
Jan 31, 2007, 08:26 PM
I think its a harddrive failure...
You could try doing another clean restore, and see if that will help...
I say you get the harddrive replaced... i think its dying...

twentyone
Jan 31, 2007, 11:18 PM
Definitely sounds like the hard drive is going bad. Back up your music on the iPod if you don't have it on a computer and get it replaced ASAP.

Carl Spackler
Jan 31, 2007, 11:23 PM
I've also read that this could be hard drive related, but it may just be a slightly disconnected cable. If you're feeling adventurous, I suppose you could try to open it and reseat the cable.