PDA

View Full Version : PS3 & Xbox 360 Q1 Games Comparison

Haoshiro
Jan 31, 2007, 11:54 AM
I was wondering how the software libraries for PS3 and 360 compared in this early part of 2007 (from now - Mar 31) so I decided to compile a list and share it. These are based on US Release Dates.

I wanted to know a few things as well, like which were exclusive, which were already out on other systems, and which were coming to what system first.

So I color coded the list as follows:
Bold - Console exclusive titles
Italic - Cross Platform
Bold Grey - Exclusive XBLA / PSN
Navy - Coming out first to this system
Green - Releasing near simultaneously
Maroon - Already out for another system
Orange - Already out for competing system but is including some exclusive content.
* - XBLA / PSN downloadable title

Note: This is specifically a console comparison, so a game will be listed as exlusive even if it also comes out on PC; although I did try to Underline such titles.

Xbox 360
--------

Jan 09 - Rapala Trophies - Activision - Sports
Jan 09 - *Ms. Pac-Man
Jan 12 - World Pool Championship 2007
Jan 12 - Lost Planet
Jan 17 - *Heavy Weapon: Atomic Tank
Jan 17 - NCAA March Madness 07
Jan 30 - Battlestations: Midway
Feb 01 - Fuzion Frenzy 2
Feb 05 - Rapala Tournament Fishing - Activision - Hunting
Feb 06 - Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 - Konami - Sports
Feb 19 - NBA Street Homecourt - Electronic Arts - Sports
Feb 20 - Crackdown - Microsoft - Action
Feb 27 - Bullet Witch - Atari - Action
Feb 27 - Dance Dance Revolution Universe - Konami - Music
Feb 27 - Samurai Warriors 2 Empires - KOEI - Strategy
Mar 05 - Major League Baseball 2K7 - 2K Games - Sports
Mar 06 - Def Jam: Icon - Electronic Arts - Fighting
Mar 07 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Ubisoft - Platformer
Mar 20 - UEFA Champions League 2006-2007 - Electronic Arts - Sports
Mar 30 - Disney's Meet the Robinsons - Buena Vista Games - Action
Mar - GTR - 10Tacle Studios - Racing Simulation
Mar - Two Worlds - SouthPeak Interactive - RPG
Apr 03 - Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia - SouthPeak Interactive - Action
Mar - Guitar Hero II - RedOctane - Music
Q1 - *Castle Crashers - Action
Q1 - Forza Motorsport 2 - Microsoft - Racing Simulation
Q1 - John Woo Presents Stranglehold - Midway Games - Action Adventure
Q1 - Medal of Honor: Airborne - Electronic Arts - Shooter
Q1 - Mobile Ops: The One Year War - Bandai - Shooter
Q1 - Alone in the Dark - Atari - Adventure
Q1 - Earth Defense Force 2017, The - D3 Publisher - Action
Q1 - *Sensible World of Soccer - Microsoft - Sports
Q1 - Culdcept Saga - Namco Bandai Group - Strategy
Q1 - Theseis - *TBA - Adventure
Q1 - Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway - Ubisoft - Shooter
Q1 - *3D Ultra Minigolf Adventures
Q1 - *Alien Hominid HD
Q1 - *Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Q1 - *Catan
Q1 - *Worms
Spring - Armored Core 4

PS3
-------

Jan 30 - Sonic the Hedgehog
Feb 20 - College Hoops 2K7 - 2K Sports - Sports
Feb 20 - Virtua Fighter 5 - SEGA - Fighting
Feb 26 - *flOw - Sony Computer Entertainment - Action
Feb 26 - *Go! Puzzle - Sony Computer Entertainment - Puzzle
Feb 27 - Formula One Championship Edition - Sony Computer Entertainment - Racing
Mar 06 - MotorStorm - Sony Computer Entertainment - Racing
Mar 06 - NBA Street Homecourt - Electronic Arts - Sports Action
Mar 12 - *Calling All Cars - Sony Computer Entertainment - Action
Mar 13 - Enchanted Arms - Ubisoft - RPG
Mar 13 - Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The - Bethesda Softworks - RPG
Mar 13 - F.E.A.R. - Vivendi Games - Shooter
Mar 20 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas - Ubisoft - Shooter
Mar 20 - Virtua Tennis 3 - SEGA - Sports
Mar 20 - Godfather: The Don's Edition, The - Electronic Arts - Action
Mar 20 - Armored Core 4
Mar 27 - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent - Ubisoft - Action

PS3 is getting some good software, although most of it has been on 360 for awhile. VF5 is the highlight for me, and MotorStorm looks like the highlight of the exclusives.

I also noticed that when a game is cross platform and releasing on 360 first, the PS3 version seems to have a release date of 3-6 months afterwards. Yikes.

I think a couple of those PS3 exclusives might be "arcade" titles rather then retail (fl0w and Go!?) but I'm not sure...

All in all I hope Q2 (or even Q3) is a lot better for PS3 owners then Q1 looks to be...

I'll try to do one of these next quarter as well, but I don't want to do it now since dates are more likely to change.

MacRumorUser
Jan 31, 2007, 12:00 PM
2 games there for the PS3... Virtua Fighter 5 and Motorstorm.

I havent decided if I'll get VF5 on ps3 100% yet, simply because I know come summer when the 360 version is out, its bound to have Live with content downloads or online play, whist the current PS3 version is lacking online mode.

Motorstorm is 100% gotta buy.

(Flow & Go are PSN downloads.)

GRAW 2 is out in march too, (DEMO on marketplace NOW) but it's not on your list. I'll be buying it anyway,

Crackdown
Alone in the Dark
Two Worlds

all look interesting.

darkwing
Jan 31, 2007, 12:05 PM
I'd be more interested to see a list of early/Q1 games for the 360 in 2005/2006 to compare how well it did with games support to the PS3 starting out. Good research, though.

SpankyPenzaanz
Jan 31, 2007, 12:16 PM
Nice list I just played the graw2 demo and interested very much

Haoshiro
Jan 31, 2007, 12:17 PM
I'd be more interested to see a list of early/Q1 games for the 360 in 2005/2006 to compare how well it did with games support to the PS3 starting out. Good research, though.

I think you're trying to get a different kind of comparison, one that is in most regards pointless.

The point of this is to compare current releases so people know what's coming out and when. That can also help people determine what system might offer them more.

People want to know what they can play now, comparing the first/second quarters for each systems launch only compares launches, it doesn't help gamers find out what they will be playing on each system now.

Not sure if this will help, but Oblivion was a Q1 title for 360... and is now coming to PS3. So there's one match for you. :) Many of the other titles you'll see are listed under PS3 as already out (on 360) and have been available for a good 3-6 months. That trend seems to be continuing if this 360 list is any indication.

GRAW 2 is out in march too, (DEMO on marketplace NOW) but it's not on your list. I'll be buying it anyway,

Actually it's listed as Q2 for 360/PS3 at least in the US. June in Europe, and March in Australia. I haven't seen dates that say otherwise.

I'll correct the PS3 list and add PSN.

Dagless
Jan 31, 2007, 12:20 PM
Still no games standing out there, 360 looks a little better. I'm a fan of Forza after all.

I don't understand this Flow business. It's a friggin FREE Flash game for christs sake... yet Sony are going to be charging for the privilege? It's not an exclusive either.

PS3 to be the next PSP?

jono_3
Jan 31, 2007, 12:22 PM
for vf5 im sure if they include online play for 360 theyll have an update for the ps3 version - sega makes more money off sony then they do ms so i doubt they would leave them out on something important like that

darkwing
Jan 31, 2007, 12:26 PM
Not sure if this will help, but Oblivion was a Q1 title for 360... and is now coming to PS3. So there's one match for you. :) Many of the other titles you'll see are listed under PS3 as already out (on 360) and have been available for a good 3-6 months. That trend seems to be continuing if this 360 list is any indication.

Nothing is worse to me than an American RPG. :rolleyes: I'll be skipping that one. I know Ed's drooling over it though.

Many of the early 360 games were ports of PS2/XBOX games. That trend did continue for a while. Then it stopped. One thing I noticed last year was how many games came out on all systems. How many commercials did we see that showed GC, PS2, XBOX, PSP, DS icons on them after? The whole multi-platform thing really took off last year. Of course, if this trend continues then you might as well buy any system because for the most part they'll all look the same. If you don't take advantage of specific pieces of hardware you can't make a really well polished game. Like how COD3's tilt control on the PS3 or Wiimote control on the Wii feeling kind of tacked on.

Actually the interesting thing the comparison I pointed out wanting to see would be to see how quickly you saw releases shifting away from the XBOX to the 360. Also, how quickly consumers saw multi-platform releases not come on both but just the 360.

SpankyPenzaanz
Jan 31, 2007, 12:31 PM
Nothing is worse to me than an American RPG. :rolleyes:

I feel that ther is nothing worse than japanese rpgs. Turn based?!?! endless fmv?!?!?! and i generally don't like the art direction/palatte of JRPG's not a big fan of the moused up purple hair with the creepy big eyes (as you can tell me no like the anime)

Coded-Dude
Jan 31, 2007, 12:32 PM
Still no games standing out there, 360 looks a little better. I'm a fan of Forza after all.

I don't understand this Flow business. It's a friggin FREE Flash game for christs sake... yet Sony are going to be charging for the privilege? It's not an exclusive either.

PS3 to be the next PSP?

Exclusive game-play.......you have tilt enable on your keyboard or something?
I don't know what else they are gonna thrown in, besides HD visuals, btu it will be interesting to find out.

You know they have delayed it a few times already just to increase the feature set(and they keep saying the delays are worth it)....so time will tell.

Dagless
Jan 31, 2007, 12:37 PM
^ quite funny you should say that!

A while ago there was a Sony fan shouting at me for saying that the Wii controller will bring in new gameplay. that a controller can't do that. :D
With the type of game Flow is it will not be any better with tilt controls. I've set up GlovePie and played it and it really isn't any different. It's a poor Snake game.

SpankyPenzaanz - I'm not a huge fan of JRPGs either. I like handheld ones (pre-PSP) because they were cut down, no pointless FMV's, no crappy voice acting. Just the game. I can't play console RPGs (from any region) at all.
Ironic too that the people blasting for Realism in games with super high resolutions and realistic looking players want something as unreal, as fake as turn based games.

greatdevourer
Jan 31, 2007, 12:40 PM
I'd be more interested to see a list of early/Q1 games for the 360 in 2005/2006 to compare how well it did with games support to the PS3 starting out. Good research, though. He's providing information, not starting a flamewar :rolleyes:

Nice list, but still no Heavenly Sword or Final Fantasy, so no PS3 for me yet :)

iKwick7
Jan 31, 2007, 12:41 PM
--------

Feb 05 - Rapala Tournament Fishing - Activision - Hunting
Feb 06 - Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 - Konami - Sports
Feb 19 - NBA Street Homecourt - Electronic Arts - Sports
Feb 20 - Crackdown - Microsoft - Action
Feb 27 - Bullet Witch - Atari - Action
Feb 27 - Dance Dance Revolution Universe - Konami - Music
Feb 27 - Samurai Warriors 2 Empires - KOEI - Strategy
Mar 07 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Ubisoft - Platformer
Mar 20 - UEFA Champions League 2006-2007 - Electronic Arts - Sports
Mar 30 - Disney's Meet the Robinsons - Buena Vista Games - Action
Mar - GTR - 10Tacle Studios - Racing Simulation
Mar - Two Worlds - SouthPeak Interactive - RPG
Apr 03 - Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia - SouthPeak Interactive - Action
Mar - Guitar Hero II - RedOctane - Music
Q1 - Castle Crashers - Action
Q1 - Forza Motorsport 2 - Microsoft - Racing Simulation
Q1 - John Woo Presents Stranglehold - Midway Games - Action Adventure
Q1 - Medal of Honor: Airborne - Electronic Arts - Shooter
Q1 - Mobile Ops: The One Year War - Bandai - Shooter
Q1 - Alone in the Dark - Atari - Adventure
Q1 - Rapala Trophies - Activision - Sports
Q1 - Earth Defense Force 2017, The - D3 Publisher - Action
Q1 - Sensible World of Soccer - Microsoft - Sports
Q1 - Half-Life 2: Orange Box - Electronic Arts - Shooter
Q1 - Culdcept Saga - Namco Bandai Group - Strategy
Q1 - Theseis - *TBA - Adventure
Q1 - Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway - Ubisoft - Shooter

[/LIST]

Let's see...

3. Feb 19 - NBA Street Homecourt
4. Feb 20 - Crackdown
8. Mar 05 - Major League Baseball 2K7
13. Mar - GTR
14. Mar - Two Worlds
17. Q1 - Castle Crashers
18. Q1 - Forza Motorsport 2
19. Q1 - John Woo Presents Stranglehold

Bolds are definite buys, everything else is getting a rental/demo/trial. I usually don't buy very many games, but damn- end of february/early march is looking solid!

Haoshiro
Jan 31, 2007, 12:46 PM
Nothing is worse to me than an American RPG. :rolleyes: I'll be skipping that one. I know Ed's drooling over it though.

That's really too bad. I was always the same way, and didn't get into Morrowind at all. But if you really consider them different genres it's not so hard to get over that prejudice.

I love JRPGs, but Oblivion just gets better and better. It doesn't feel like a standard RPG at all. It's more like a fantasy world you get to live in... and is like an Action MMORPG only with no online component, heh.

Real-time battles with Sword/Bow/Magic. Gameplay feels more like an action game, like a Fantasy FPS. :D

I probably put quite a few hours into it and not being all that into it, but once I started seeing the depth it really started impressing me. Now I play it almost every day.

Coded-Dude
Jan 31, 2007, 12:50 PM
FREE Flash game for christs sake... yet Sony are going to be charging for the privilege?
How may times have you bought the same Zelda game?
SNES, GBA, VC, variants, etc.

Sony are taking a sound game and offering it to you as a better experience.
Better than just some "free friggin flash game."

Motion/Tilt does offer a different way to interact with a game, that much is not arguable.
Whether its good or bad for a game is a different story.

Although I have heard positive reviews from people who have played Flow via SIXAXIS.
A bit awkward at first, but very addictive once you get the hang of it.

thegreatunknown
Jan 31, 2007, 01:02 PM
shadowrun, blue dragon?

Haoshiro
Jan 31, 2007, 01:09 PM
shadowrun, blue dragon?

Shadowrun is still listed as Summer (Q2) and Blue Dragon as TBA. Chances are if it's still listed as TBA now, that it won't be out until at least Q2. Again, these are US lists... so dates for Europe, etc might be different.

baleensavage
Jan 31, 2007, 01:13 PM
Nothing is worse to me than an American RPG.
I feel that ther is nothing worse than japanese rpgs.
I'm not picky, I'll take any RPG as long as it's good ;)
I can't help notice, however, that the only RPGs on the above list are Elder Scrolls and Two Worlds. I keep wondering when the new consoles are going to get their share of RPGs. Hopefully in 2008 they'll do something. I would have thought that Sony would have at least one new RPG by now.

SpankyPenzaanz
Jan 31, 2007, 01:14 PM
Mass Effect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MacRumorUser
Jan 31, 2007, 01:16 PM
Actually it's listed as Q2 for 360/PS3 at least in the US. June in Europe, and March in Australia. I haven't seen dates that say otherwise.

I'll correct the PS3 list and add PSN.

9th March is UK/Ireland anyway :) :p

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/RCS/3-/3256643/Tom_Clancy_Ghost_Recon_Advanced_Warfighter_2/Product.html

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?productcode=XT1072&title=tom_clancys_ghost_recon_advanced_warfighter_2

Haoshiro
Jan 31, 2007, 01:18 PM
I'm not picky, I'll take any RPG as long as it's good ;)
I can't help notice, however, that the only RPGs on the above list are Elder Scrolls and Two Worlds. I keep wondering when the new consoles are going to get their share of RPGs. Hopefully in 2008 they'll do something. I would have thought that Sony would have at least one new RPG by now.

Enchanted Arms is listed under PS3 and is a JRPG. It's already out on 360 and has gotten pretty good reviews from most places.

I believe Culdcept Saga (360) is a Strategy RPG, and Blue Dragon (360) should also be out very soon... probably early Q2.

Shacklebolt
Jan 31, 2007, 01:40 PM
As an owner of both, I can say that 360 games pwn PS3 games so hard (so far), that it makes me shed a small tear for Sony.

baleensavage
Jan 31, 2007, 01:41 PM
Enchanted Arms is listed under PS3 and is a JRPG. It's already out on 360 and has gotten pretty good reviews from most places.
I believe Culdcept Saga (360) is a Strategy RPG, and Blue Dragon (360) should also be out very soon... probably early Q2.

Blue Dragon does look interesting, though I'm more excited about Lost Odyssey (not as big of a fan of the whole bobble-head RPGs). I'm sure the RPG market will pick up in 2008. I was just surprised/disappointed with Sony that they don't have any platformer RPGs in their lineup yet. Elder Scrolls and Enchanted Arms are both available on other systems and have been out for a little while. I guess I've just been spoiled by the last 6 months of PS2 where there's been at least one good RPG per month. ;)

Dagless
Jan 31, 2007, 01:44 PM
:rolleyes: How may times have you bought the same Zelda game?
SNES, GBA, VC, variants, etc.

Sony are taking a sound game and offering it to you as a better experience.
Better than just some "free friggin flash game."

Motion/Tilt does offer a different way to interact with a game, that much is not arguable.
Whether its good or bad for a game is a different story.

Although I have heard positive reviews from people who have played Flow via SIXAXIS.
A bit awkward at first, but very addictive once you get the hang of it.

A solid game? Flow was rejected by a huge majority of the indy scene because it really was little more than Snake with levels. You can do it now. Download GlovePie, connect your Wii Controller to a PC and BAM. play the flash game with gyros. It doesn't make this bad game good. Just as gyros won't make Pong or Alleyway better.

How many times have I bought the same Zelda game? What has this got to do with a lacklustre Flash game? I've bought every Zelda game once, I got OoT free with Windwaker. I've still to own Zelda 2. I love the logic here

Coded-Dude
Jan 31, 2007, 01:55 PM
"Within the first two weeks following its release, flOw attracted more an approximately 350,000 downloads. By the time the thatgamecompany website launched, it had increased to more than 600,000 downloads."

It was also a finalist at the Slamdance Guerilla Gamemaker Competition(but withdrew the entry), and was good enough to get a deal with Sony.

I find it rather funny how some cheer simple games on one platform, but dismiss them on the competitors platform.

SpankyPenzaanz
Jan 31, 2007, 02:39 PM
"Within the first two weeks following its release, flOw attracted more an approximately 350,000 downloads. By the time the thatgamecompany website launched, it had increased to more than 600,000 downloads."

An oasis in a desert also attracts people but still doesn't hide the fact that its a desert

for the now at least

darkwing
Jan 31, 2007, 02:42 PM
I feel that ther is nothing worse than japanese rpgs. Turn based?!?! endless fmv?!?!?! and i generally don't like the art direction/palatte of JRPG's not a big fan of the moused up purple hair with the creepy big eyes (as you can tell me no like the anime)

I like Anime (over 600 dvds) so I guess that's why I like them! :) But yes I agree the art style is getting a bit old. What I really like are the stories. Not the overall stories, as they're all about some guy going crazy and wanting to destroy/recreate the world.. but I like the character development sub-plots that come with them.

That's really too bad. I was always the same way, and didn't get into Morrowind at all. But if you really consider them different genres it's not so hard to get over that prejudice.

I love JRPGs, but Oblivion just gets better and better. It doesn't feel like a standard RPG at all. It's more like a fantasy world you get to live in... and is like an Action MMORPG only with no online component, heh.

Real-time battles with Sword/Bow/Magic. Gameplay feels more like an action game, like a Fantasy FPS. :D

I probably put quite a few hours into it and not being all that into it, but once I started seeing the depth it really started impressing me. Now I play it almost every day.

That kinda brings back memories of playing Dungeon Siege with my late friend. Maybe I'll have to stop over at Ed's place and check out the game when it comes out on ps3.

Dagless
Jan 31, 2007, 02:55 PM
I find it rather funny how some cheer simple games on one platform, but dismiss them on the competitors platform.

Cheering simple games? If Flow was on the DS I wouldn't like it. I didn't like the PC version. It's ****ing Snake. It's not Mario, Zelda or anything like that. It has no more gameplay than the game Nokia stuck on their mobile phones in the mid 90's, hell even the lowest of VC games has more challenge and fun than Flow, Anaconda on Time Splitters 2 is better. I made the point about Pong and Alleyway. :confused:

Are Sony people deliberately trying to act silly today?

Even my early game Shikun got more downloads than Flow :eek:

Coded-Dude
Jan 31, 2007, 03:00 PM
Nintendogs..............is merely Tamagotchi(with improvements)
You may not like em(snake or tamagotchi), but they sell. Many people loved playing snake, and will love this variant.

But you can continue to dismiss it before its even released. It is your right.

Haoshiro
Jan 31, 2007, 03:29 PM
Nintendogs..............is merely Tamagotchi(with improvements)
You may not like em(snake or tamagotchi), but they sell. Many people loved playing snake, and will love this variant.

But you can continue to dismiss it before its even released. It is your right.

Have you actually played fl0w? I did today... and I must say I was disappointed. I wouldn't call it Snake, as Snake actually had mazes and obstacles.

Really this felt like what it was, a test flash game designed for educational purposes. I am interested in seeing how it might develop, but I don't think gyros would make it better.

In fact, with the style of game it is it makes more sense to use an analog thumbstick ala Geometry Wars. It just seems like that would make more sense.

Currently the game is basically devoid of content entirely although has an interesting style. It's not fun by a long shot, but I'm sure it could waste time if someone was that bored.

I'm just hoping it's... evolved and the version for PSN will be more of an actual game.

That kinda brings back memories of playing Dungeon Siege with my late friend. Maybe I'll have to stop over at Ed's place and check out the game when it comes out on ps3.

It's actually a fairly similar idea to Dungeon Siege, only in a first-person perspective. I've played a LOT of DS back when it came out.

They both have skill based advancement, but Oblivion really is honed and more in depth. They have skills for just about anything and that really lets you "own" your game.

Even though you level up skills in a very similar way as DS, they also give you rank advancement bonuses. Basically every 25 skill levels you go up in range, Novice, Apprentice, Journeyman, Expert, Master. For each rank you advance in a specific skill you get some sort of bonus. For example in Alchemy you might be able to get more out of ingredients, for Marksman (bow) you'll get things like the ability to "focus" (zoom) or a chance to stun an enemy.

It's small details like these that really add to the game and make me keep playing. It feels like an endless world with so much to do it could keep me busy for well over a year if I wanted to. Plus I know I can continue on the "Main Quest" if I feel like it. And there is a lot of story and background (even manuals) to be found in books if you want to really delve into the world. Sit back and read some of the fairly lengthy books they have in the game on a variety of subjects.

This game is VAST, and even though it's a "RPG" I hestiate to call it that just because it's so different then what I'm used to as an RPG. I still love JRPGs, but this is a huge world that is so detailed it's a pleasure to "live" in and explore.

darkwing
Jan 31, 2007, 04:00 PM
I might have been tempted, Hao, but it sounds like it's a first-person RPG? I've never liked that idea (or any games that implement it.) Oh well. FPS is fun for shooters, and only sometimes. Part of why I wanted a ps3 was because I started having an itch to play some FPS games again.. so I got COD3 and Resistance. Now it's kinda old again heh. I have a hard time thinking I'd like to aim a bow at a monster in an FPS game and then level up from it. I guess I'm spoiled by the jrpg genre.

Haoshiro
Jan 31, 2007, 04:16 PM
I might have been tempted, Hao, but it sounds like it's a first-person RPG? I've never liked that idea (or any games that implement it.) Oh well. FPS is fun for shooters, and only sometimes. Part of why I wanted a ps3 was because I started having an itch to play some FPS games again.. so I got COD3 and Resistance. Now it's kinda old again heh. I have a hard time thinking I'd like to aim a bow at a monster in an FPS game and then level up from it. I guess I'm spoiled by the jrpg genre.

Well honestly you sound just like me. Never liked the idea either. You can play in third person if you want, but I ended up spending more time in first person anyway.

It's definitely more complex and realistic then JRPGs tend to be. Leveling up actually makes sense, I'd say they made it as realistic as it can be without ruining it from a fun perspective (realism is only fun to a degree, imho).

It's not like you level up from killing creatures, you level based on your actions. When enough of your primary stats level, you gain a level yourself. It's well thought out, and designed well. Even though I've always loved JRPGs (Xenogears is still #1 for me) I have to say that after spending a lot of time with Oblivion it makes such games really seem ridiculous, even tedious+boring (which battles in JRPGs definitely can get).

There is something about dealing a great strike and actually landing a sword slash, or blocking one... something about finishing someone off with a bow that required your own skill that is just much more satisfying.

In a sense, Oblivion is a much more true "Role Playing" game that puts you in your own role, not someone else. You see through your eyes, not Hero X. The character you play is not someone else, and the gameplay reflects that. That's just not the case with JRPGs and I find I now more prefer a good Strategy RPG like Fire Emblem over the classic FF/DQ/etc affairs.

So if you like the idea of playing a game where you can explore a world yourself and your actions make you who you are, Oblivion is a great game. If you'd rather play as a character someone else already made up and you just fill their shoes and ride through their story... yeah, Oblivion might not be your thing.

2nyRiggz
Jan 31, 2007, 04:44 PM
Once again a thread goes south with the same stupidity. Let try get this thread together at least and show some sort of sense....it's the same thing everytime..just stop it.

Back on it: The 360 has a really nice lineup and I'm glad I'm not limiting myself to one console...I will enjoy all releases.

Bless

MacRumorUser
Jan 31, 2007, 04:48 PM
Back on it: The 360 has a really nice lineup and I'm glad I'm not limiting myself to one console...I will enjoy all releases.

Bless

That's exactly how I feel about it. I get to enjoy the best of all worlds :)

Spartacus
Jan 31, 2007, 04:50 PM
In regards to the Oblivion discussions, it is the game I'm currently playing. Holy crap, I'm addicted. This is an increadibly emersive game. I tried to play it on the computer when it first came out and didn't really know what I was doing so I dropped it. about 6 months later I picked it up off of Craigslist and decided to give an open world RPG a chance, and wow. Stating that the game is OPEN WORLD is important, because you have to be involved with creating a specific experience. The first time around I wanted the game to hold my hand through it (I'm used to linear FPS) and wasn't happy with having so much choice.

Back on topic: Even though I have a 360 copy of this game, it's actually becoming a possible 'system seller' for me in regards to PS3. Gameplay it is solid, but technically there seems to be a lot of loading and skipping and what not. By the time I'm ready to go through Oblivion again (a sure thing) it'll be out on the PS3 and it might be worth migrating over if it gets good reviews.

MacRumorUser
Jan 31, 2007, 05:00 PM
Back on topic: Even though I have a 360 copy of this game, it's actually becoming a possible 'system seller' for me in regards to PS3. Gameplay it is solid, but technically there seems to be a lot of loading and skipping and what not. By the time I'm ready to go through Oblivion again (a sure thing) it'll be out on the PS3 and it might be worth migrating over if it gets good reviews.

Whilst the jitteryness of the outside world (it's loading) is sometimes irksome on the 360, it's equally as bad on the PC.

I can run Oblivion at 1680x1050, HDR Lighting and all the settings max. The frame rate is great and yet it still coughs and splutters causing a jitteryness in the open world as it loads stuff into view.

I suspect it's a flaw in the engine, and would be surprised if the PS3 version didnt suffer just as much as the 360 & PC to be honest.

Coded-Dude
Jan 31, 2007, 05:09 PM
Well, they did delay the PS3 version by several months
(it was supposed to be a 1080p launch game)
Wonder why they did that........

SpankyPenzaanz
Jan 31, 2007, 06:26 PM
Well, they did delay the PS3 version by several months
(it was supposed to be a 1080p launch game)
Wonder why they did that........

The free content they have on live market place they are including

gadgetgirl85
Jan 31, 2007, 07:45 PM
Ricky Ponting cricket for 360 is also out in March :D

Haoshiro
Feb 1, 2007, 08:28 AM
Hey, if anyone has updates or additions for list that I might have missed then please post the title a source link, I'll update the list accordingly.

MacRumorUser
Feb 1, 2007, 08:38 AM
Hey, if anyone has updates or additions for list that I might have missed then please post the title a source link, I'll update the list accordingly.

where's my GRAW2 :p :D Definetly March 9th. Checked both Smyths & Gamestop and it's on their systems for the same date as the 2 I posted the links for.

Why it's coming out in UK & Australia before USA I dont know. :confused:

Also the Asian Region Free version is out in march too :)

Haoshiro
Feb 1, 2007, 08:44 AM
where's my GRAW2 :p :D Definetly March 9th. Checked both Smyths & Gamestop and it's on their systems for the same date as the 2 I posted the links for.

Why it's coming out in UK & Australia before USA I dont know. :confused:

Also the Asian Region Free version is out in march too :)

Well GameStop tells me March 6th here as well, but it also lists Project Offset and Metronome as 3/1/2007!

I try to avoid trusting retailers on release dates...

Edit: IGN, GameSpy, and GameTrailers list GRAW2 as Q2/2007. 1Up lists it as 3/6/2007 for both 360/PS3.

zero2dash
Feb 1, 2007, 09:07 AM
Q1 - *3D Ultra Minigolf Adventures
Q1 - *Alien Hominid HD
Q1 - *Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Q1 - *Catan
Q1 - *Worms

MRU had a thread a few days ago about these, but nevertheless -
these are all February releases (woot!) now. :)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164956.html

I didn't see a mention of the 360 VF5 on the list (I apologize if I overlooked it)
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/virtuafighter5/index.html?q=virtua%20fighter%205
Gamespot lists it as Q3 2007

BTW nice job on the post, Haoshiro. :D Thank you :)
Perhaps we can get this stickied if the "console warZ" nuts don't get out of hand so in the future when somebody says "what console should I get" we can point them in the direction of your list.

SpankyPenzaanz
Feb 1, 2007, 09:07 AM
Well GameStop tells me March 6th here as well, but it also lists Project Offset and Metronome as 3/1/2007!

I try to avoid trusting retailers on release dates...

Edit: IGN, GameSpy, and GameTrailers list GRAW2 as Q2/2007. 1Up lists it as 3/6/2007 for both 360/PS3.

gamefly told me march 8

ChrisK018
Feb 1, 2007, 09:08 AM
Looking at that list I don't see any games from either platform that makes me want to pick up a 360 or PS3. Q1 for video games reminds me of Hollywood's approach to the late winter and early spring when they dump all of the movies onto the public that did not merit holiday/Q4 attention and advertising budgets.

Video game magazines reviews around this time are dull as dishwater, and from the on-topic thread replies, I have not got the impression that anyone else is super excited either.

zero2dash
Feb 1, 2007, 09:15 AM
Video game magazines reviews around this time are dull as dishwater, and from the on-topic thread replies, I have not got the impression that anyone else is super excited either.

Most game reviews are laughable anyway; I have yet to find a gaming site with reviews that isn't biased (or appear to be biased). I trust the word of friends on games but I still rent and download demos when possible.

As for excitement - I'm excited about some of the 360 games coming out this year but I'm also looking forward to getting a Ps2 again (shockingly) to catch up on what I've missed out on the last several years since selling mine.

Dagless
Feb 1, 2007, 09:36 AM
I cant trust any either. IGN giving Hamtaro the same score as (IIRC) Link to the Past?
That's so wrong it isn't even funny. **** site.

SpankyPenzaanz
Feb 1, 2007, 09:45 AM
gamefly told me march 8

edit - march 8 for brothers in arms hells highway and march 31 for graw2

ChrisK018
Feb 1, 2007, 09:54 AM
None of my friends are that into videogames, so I read up on them. Whatever bias there might be does not bug me too much. Any review of a game will have some-- from a paid professional to a noob determined to share with the world just how much he hates game x and anyone who has ever played it.

Feel like I am old and wise enough (in the world of videogames) to read though the lines and get AAA titles and not waste my time with garbage, and that goes back to what I was saying before: Q1 games are not usually the AAA titles; those are saved for the holidays.

Kind of envious of zero2dash catching up on all the sweet games that have come out on the PS2. That's my plan for the PS3/360, but neither of them has released a game I really really really want to play.

Haoshiro
Feb 1, 2007, 12:12 PM
Looking at that list I don't see any games from either platform that makes me want to pick up a 360 or PS3. Q1 for video games reminds me of Hollywood's approach to the late winter and early spring when they dump all of the movies onto the public that did not merit holiday/Q4 attention and advertising budgets.

I'd disagree, the 360 is showing a great list of software. A lot of them aren't sequels, so they are fairly "unknown", but still a great list.

Two Worlds looks like something for those Oblivion fans that are already done with it (I'm not even half way through).

Crackdown has been getting very good reviews, especially from actual users. In general "more fun then GTA" is what seems to be the conclusion.

Forza 2 is big for racing fans and looks great, I'm just not personally into sim racers. GTR is there for even more racing fan love.

Bullet Witch has been getting good press when it gets any, and seems to be considered a Devil May Cry-type game.

Then there is the next DDR (only on 360) which is still a big game for music fans. And Guitar Hero II (I'm looking forward to this one a LOT).

Culdcept Saga is something I am REALLY interested in as well, and of course HL2.

And most of all... XBLA Worms... That's my pick of the crop and will be playing a lot of that when it's out. Cheap too.

Haoshiro
Feb 2, 2007, 11:32 AM
Just added the January releases for 360, am looking for PS3 January releases now...

Edit: Evidently there were no PS3 releases in Januray!

Edit #2: Added Armored Core 4 to both lists.

Coded-Dude
Feb 2, 2007, 11:44 AM
Sonic......thats the only Jan release I can think of.
There were a few releases in Dec, but most of them start coming in March.

Haoshiro
Feb 2, 2007, 11:57 AM
Alright, added that. Didn't realize that just came out for PS3... I think it was a Nov release for 360.

Also added a couple other 360 titles for January I missed.

zero2dash
Feb 2, 2007, 01:21 PM
And Guitar Hero II (I'm looking forward to this one a LOT).

Ditto. :D
I'll probably go ahead and buy the Ps2 GH2 to fill the void til the 360 one comes out but the 360 one will be awesome (especially with downloadable content and the heavy rumors that they'll have the GH1 soundtrack available for download)

and of course HL2.

Yeah, HL:Orange (what they're calling it) will be good. I'll get it because I don't have any of the PC ones yet.

And most of all... XBLA Worms... That's my pick of the crop and will be playing a lot of that when it's out. Cheap too.

Double ditto. :D
2d Worms is one of the greatest multiplayer franchises out there.

Haoshiro
Feb 8, 2007, 04:16 PM
Update: Half-Life 2 has been delayed on all platforms with a new "Fall 2007" release date. I have removed it from the 360 Q1 list.

I was planning to get this come March, so definitely bad news for Xbox 360 owners.

MacRumorUser
Feb 8, 2007, 04:38 PM
You gotta love episodic gaming. Play a couple of hours here, wait 18 months, a couple there.... :rolleyes:

zap2
Feb 8, 2007, 07:32 PM
Those are some pretty weak lists, nothing that I'd buy for PS3(maybe motorsports, that it) and for Xbox 360 I'd get Crackdown for Halo 3 beta...over all not impressed.

Hopefully this sumer will bring better games(atleast Mario Party 8 is coming, and Wii play even just for the controller!)

greatdevourer
Feb 9, 2007, 12:48 AM
You gotta love episodic gaming. Play a couple of hours here, wait 18 months, a couple there.... :rolleyes: And it's only 20 a time, too...

Haoshiro
Apr 11, 2007, 09:59 AM
Looks as though quite a few of these games didn't make it in Q1, games from both sides have been pushed to Q2.

Check out the comparison: PS3 & Xbox 360 Q2 Games Comparison (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=295600)

2nyRiggz
Apr 11, 2007, 08:28 PM
I thought Bioshock will be going multi....
Bulletwitch...I would be ashamed to mention that:)

Bless