Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majorawol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
Montreal
Hello,

I just got a mac. I'm not too computer savvy to begin with, so I'm still un-sure if this mac is buggy, but here's my problem and what I'm attempting to do:

I have a DVD that I need to edit and make a demo reel. So I can't just drag it into iMovie. So I've tried ripping it with Mactheripper and Handbrake. Handbrake actually game me a segment (not the one I need) in a litttle mpeg4 format. The rest was converted into .VOB -- why did I only get a segment, but more importantly, how do I get the whole thing into iMovie? (or do I need to get Final Cut?)

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

~A

Fallinangel

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2005
Hi,

I'm not sure what you want to do, but at least I can explain somethings!

I have a DVD that I need to edit and make a demo reel. So I can't just drag it into iMovie.

If it is a commercial DVD you might not have the rights to edit the copyrighted movie!
No, you can't just drag it into iMovie!

So I've tried ripping it with Mactheripper and Handbrake. Handbrake actually game me a segment (not the one I need) in a litttle mpeg4 format.

I recommend to rip the dvd files with MacTheRipper again!
Now you tell Handbreak to convert the files again. Pay attention as to convert the main movie files, because the other ones may only be additional features!
You can identify the main movie by its filesize (the largest)!
Open the files with Quicktime and cut out the segment/scene that you want!
You do that with the little handles on the timeline of the movie. When tey're adjusted like you like it, you can save the scene to your harddrive!
Now you can import and edit it in iMovie!
Oh yeah and .VOB files are not being created by Handbreak, but are ripped from your DVD by MacTheRipper!!!

majorawol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
Montreal
Okay...

Thanks for your help.

While surfing for help, I got all kinds of different solutions (http://www.danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/tips_tricks/6010.shtml):
The basic steps are:

1. Pull the Video OBjects (VOB files) off the DVD using something like Mac the Ripper (Not necessary if you have an .MPG/.MPEG already on your hard drive).
2. Demux the VOB or MPEG file (extract the audio and video tracks out of it) with something like BBdemux. (Streamclip)
3. Convert the video to a format that iMovie/Quicktime can read with something like DiVA. (Streamclip)
4. Extract/convert the audio with something like MadPlay or Wiretap. (Streamclip)
5. Put the audio and video back together using Quicktime Pro or iMovie. (Streamclip converts to DV)

* It will be an easier job if you have bought and paid for the Quicktime MPEG-2 playback option. (A must have for Streamclip)
* A good tool for the "video tool box" is VLC, it will play about any type of video out there.
* The MPEG-2 playback option comes standard with DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut Pro and also you can encode professional grade MPEG's with Compressor.
* If you need a good, inexpensive MPEG creation tool that has a load of other features mentioned above, I highly suggest MPEGworks.

Anyway... nothing here seemed to work... so I just paid a little more attention to your advice... and it worked; I used Handbrake and I think the main problem was that I didn't know what I was doing. I think it was mostly about selecting the correct file, and saving it with the right name (otheriwse it was just processing and I'd have no file an the end).

Again, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.