PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Reports Reviews Vista, and Suggests Buying a Mac

MacBytes
Jan 31, 2007, 02:43 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Software
Link: Consumer Reports Reviews Vista, and Suggests Buying a Mac (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070131154358)
Description:: Consumer Reports bottom line on the question "Do You Need To Update to Vista"...buy a Mac. "Chances are good that you will be able to run Vista on a Mac as well, once Apple updates its Boot Camp loader. Buying a Mac will get you a brand that offers excels in technical support and reliability."

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

justflie
Jan 31, 2007, 02:53 PM
HAHAHAHA. Zing! Take that M$. A lot of people read and trust (almost explicitly) Consumer Reports. This is definitely a great thing.

adrianblaine
Jan 31, 2007, 02:56 PM
HAHAHAHA. Zing! Take that M$. A lot of people read and trust (almost explicitly) Consumer Reports. This is definitely a great thing.

The thing is, they were recommending a Mac to run Vista on, not just OSX. It wasn't so much a Zing against Microsoft but for other PC makers.

justflie
Jan 31, 2007, 02:57 PM
It would have been nice if they had recommended that you just wait for os 10.5 to be released before buying a mac so you don't have to spend the extra $100-200. oh well.

macsoapbox
Jan 31, 2007, 03:02 PM
I was hoping it would be a bit more like "instead of spending your time and money with Vista, you could just buy a Mac which has had all of the features and is already stable".... or something like that.

jbembe
Jan 31, 2007, 03:04 PM
They mention the upgrade

Or you can go with Apple. Chances are good that you will be able to run Vista on a Mac as well, once Apple updates its Boot Camp loader. Buying a Mac will get you a brand that offers excels in technical support and reliability. But you won’t sidestep the operating system dilemma entirely, because Apple plans an upgrade to its operating system, OS X, in spring 2007. That will most likely require an upgrade cost of $100 to $200.

bilbo--baggins
Jan 31, 2007, 03:19 PM
Shame they don't proof read their reviews, or is "offers excels" an American phrase? In England we might say"a brand that excels in technical support and reliability".

nbs2
Jan 31, 2007, 03:27 PM
Shame they don't proof read their reviews, or is "offers excels" an American phrase? In England we might say"a brand that excels in technical support and reliability".

Not an American phrase either. Maybe the Canadians can offer insight.

wordmunger
Jan 31, 2007, 03:35 PM
Yikes! $400 for the cheapest version with dual-core support? That means adding Vista to a Mini would cost almost as much as the computer!

adrianblaine
Jan 31, 2007, 03:37 PM

The web is full of errors, both grammar and spelling related. I catch mistakes all the time reading articles from "reputable" sources (such as consumer reports) and I'm not even that good with my own grammar and spelling. They probably wanted to use offers or excels and were going to choose later, but forgot...

I think I'll be more interested in their review of Leopard.

Flynnstone
Jan 31, 2007, 03:38 PM

"offers excels" I don't think is Canadian.

"offers beers" is :D

Peace
Jan 31, 2007, 04:15 PM
The title of this story is kind of misleading.I read it and all Consumer Reports said was the other option was to buy a Mac..I didn't see where it "suggested" buying a Mac.

LastZion
Jan 31, 2007, 04:32 PM
"offers excels" I don't think is Canadian.

"offers beers" is :D

Yaup you got it, that pretty much sums us up ;)

Xylene
Jan 31, 2007, 04:36 PM
Yikes! $400 for the cheapest version with dual-core support? That means adding Vista to a Mini would cost almost as much as the computer!

No, you're wrong. Read it again. The $400 price tag is for dual CPU.

Vista Ultimate. This version includes all the features of Vista Home Premium and adds:

* Support for dual CPUs (multi-core are supported in lower versions)

zwilliams07
Jan 31, 2007, 04:55 PM
I am so glad Apple doesn't follow Microsoft's OS tier scam (scheme). Crippling lower ends in order to try and force the more moderate users to buy the upper end of the OS variant.

jono_3
Jan 31, 2007, 05:02 PM

i would say consumer report being an american publication, and using that "unique" phrase, that it belongs to the states.

congratulations USA "Offers Excels!"

cwt1nospam
Jan 31, 2007, 06:10 PM
Shame they don't proof read their reviews, or is "offers excels" an American phrase?
I'm afraid it can easily be considered an American phrase. Our education system is falling apart, and we make most of our buying decisions on price. The result is that proof readers, copy editors, and editors are rarely used where they're needed. Even when they are, they're overworked and underpaid. It's gotten so bad that reading anything produced on a daily or weekly basis (and many monthly publications) is more an exercise in deduction than anything else.

Tahlbee
Jan 31, 2007, 09:34 PM

Not true for dual-core systems. For dual CPU systems, sure. http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=130

Doesn't mean I am going to go out and $ Vista. :rolleyes:

NeedingNirvana
Jan 31, 2007, 11:12 PM
I'm afraid it can easily be considered an American phrase. Our education system is falling apart, and we make most of our buying decisions on price. The result is that proof readers, copy editors, and editors are rarely used where they're needed. Even when they are, they're overworked and underpaid. It's gotten so bad that reading anything produced on a daily or weekly basis (and many monthly publications) is more an exercise in deduction than anything else.

I'm tired of people saying that the American education system is falling apart. Today 4th graders can solve algebraic equations and write complex essays that most adults weren't required to write until high school. These students manage to be successful at these tasks despite the fact that the average parent is too busy and/or too uneducated to get involved in his/her child's upbringing.

holamiamigos
Jan 31, 2007, 11:16 PM
i saw the same on my local tv... the dude recommends switchin to osx

Flynnstone
Jan 31, 2007, 11:37 PM
I'm tired of people saying that the American education system is falling apart. Today 4th graders can solve algebraic equations and write complex essays that most adults weren't required to write until high school. These students manage to be successful at these tasks despite the fact that the average parent is too busy and/or too uneducated to get involved in his/her child's upbringing.

Both you and cwt1nospam are correct.

From what I'm seeing, kids are being molded to pass the state test. Not necessarily well rounded.