Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several readers who ordered the new Airport Extreme Base Station (802.11n) received emails today that the 802.11n-enabled AirPort is now shipping -- two weeks earlier than expected.

The new version of the AirPort Extreme was released during Macworld San Francisco 2007 and integrates 802.11n wireless networking which claims to be 5x the performance of previous models.

Meanwhile, we've received reliable reports that the Apple TV will become available at retail stores on February 20th, 2007, with pre-order shipments near that date. Apple released the Apple TV at Macworld and had announced a February ship date.

Article Link: Airport Extreme (802.11n) and Apple TV Ship Dates

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I'll rate this a positive, but what I really want to hear is, "Apple announces TV show availability in Canada" .. maybe movies, but moreso TV shows.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
It's not shipping early.... in about 2 hours it will be February.

They said "Ship February". They are.

Still good news that it is on its way, unlike how the 2nd gen Shuffle said ship October and it never made it to most stores until a couple weeks before Thanksgiving!!!

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
My ship date originally said Feb 28 and arriving March 6. About 30 minutes ago I received an email from Apple saying my new AirPort Extreme Basestation just shipped. Exactly 4 weeks ahead of schedule!! :D

SoldOutMatinee

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2007
Las Vegas
It's not shipping early.... in about 2 hours it will be February.

They said "Ship February". They are.

Still good news that it is on its way, unlike how the 2nd gen Shuffle said ship October and it never made it to most stores until a couple weeks before Thanksgiving!!!

So did I misread this article? :confused: I'm really confused. :eek:

Samurai

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2004
My ship date originally said Feb 28 and arriving March 6. About 30 minutes ago I received an email from Apple saying my new AirPort Extreme Basestation just shipped. Exactly 4 weeks ahead of schedule!! :D

I ordered mine the day of the keynote and my email today says it will ship by February 14th. I guess you must have ordered much earlier in the day than me and it will take them 2 weeks just to ship to people who ordered later in the day that it was released.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I ordered mine the day of the keynote and my email today says it will ship by February 14th. I guess you must have ordered much earlier in the day than me and it will take them 2 weeks just to ship to people who ordered later in the day that it was released.

or they just don't like you.

;)

I always wondered exactly how that worked, though.. if it really is first placed first shipped.. or if there's more selectivity than that..

Samurai

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2004
Question: what is the potential use of this bandwidth? I have 768k DSL, even if I had 15 mbps Cable Internet standard wifi would provide ample room to move that amount of data.......

To handle the multiple HD videos streams going to each of your 3 Apple TVs locate throughout your house :D

noojinb

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2007
Software update????

I have a wireless router that is 802.11n, and tonight I noticed my mbpro updated the the airport card- 2 questions:

1) This may be completely stupid, but will my current router be compatible?
2) Is apple distributing the 802.11n software update free of charge, contrary to earlier reports?

Thanks

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Just checked. Mine says...

AIRPORT EXTREME BASE STATION/802.11N-ITP
Ships by: 28/02/2007
Delivers by: 02/03/2007

:(

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
if i buy one of these, can i use my linksys wrtg54L as an extender?

how frustrating do you estimate this would be if it is possible??

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
They haven't shipped mine :(

I ordered a base station too and they haven't shipped mine yet.. :( I didn't pay for faster shipping... Oh well... I can wait... I guess.... If I have to....

The Stig

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I ordered a base station too and they haven't shipped mine yet.. :( I didn't pay for faster shipping... Oh well... I can wait... I guess.... If I have to....

The Stig

My new Airport BaseStation (old one) just arrived, I really didn't think I'd be seeing it until the end of Feb (typing while openning the box).

I hope you get your BaseStaion soon.

SoldOutMatinee

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2007
Las Vegas
Is apple distributing the 802.11n software update free of charge, contrary to earlier reports?

Thanks

If you buy the AEBS, then yes, you'll get the enabler for free. You have to have a C2D machine though(to enable the N thingy), except for the cheapest iMac.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
if i buy one of these, can i use my linksys wrtg54L as an extender?

how frustrating do you estimate this would be if it is possible??

No..

802.11g only operated in the 2.4ghz band, whereas the Airport operates in both 2.4 and 5ghz bands. In fact it works by broadcasting the signal over 2 channels to get the good speed IIRC. Hence you can't use your old extender.

dlastmango

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
West Coast - FLORIDA
airport N card?

Has anyone heard of apple releasing an Airport Extreme card that has the N capability? my Ethernet port has burned up and I use a airport card in my G5 for internet.

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.