PDA

View Full Version : Airport Extreme (802.11n) and Apple TV Ship Dates

MacRumors
Jan 31, 2007, 09:11 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/31/airport-extreme-802-11n-and-apple-tv-ship-dates/)

Several readers who ordered the new Airport Extreme Base Station (802.11n) received emails today that the 802.11n-enabled AirPort is now shipping -- two weeks earlier than expected.

The new version of the AirPort Extreme was released (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/09/apple-quietly-releases-802-11n-capable-airport-extreme/) during Macworld San Francisco 2007 and integrates 802.11n wireless networking which claims to be 5x the performance of previous models.

Meanwhile, we've received reliable reports that the Apple TV will become available at retail stores on February 20th, 2007, with pre-order shipments near that date. Apple released the Apple TV (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/09/apple-announces-apple-tv-formerly-itv/) at Macworld and had announced a February ship date.

Article Link: Airport Extreme (802.11n) and Apple TV Ship Dates (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/31/airport-extreme-802-11n-and-apple-tv-ship-dates/)

SoldOutMatinee
Jan 31, 2007, 09:14 PM
Woo hoo! That means I can order mine tonight. :D

ibook30
Jan 31, 2007, 09:16 PM
Bring on the 802.11n speeds!

A bit surprising that they launched it early, I seem to remember a rumor (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=275249) about the iPhone having a "conservative" launch date.... what tricks. :apple:

JonHimself
I'll rate this a positive, but what I really want to hear is, "Apple announces TV show availability in Canada" .. maybe movies, but moreso TV shows.

EagerDragon
Will the new base station extend the distance for G devices?

VanMac
Jan 31, 2007, 09:17 PM
Bring on the 802.11n speeds!

A bit surprising that they launched it early, I seem to remember a rumor (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=275249) about the iPhone having a "conservative" launch date.... what tricks. :apple:

Excellant. Looking to upgrade my wireless network at home :)

SoldOutMatinee
Jan 31, 2007, 09:18 PM
Wait, it says on the website that It'll ship within 2-3 weeks. I thought it was gonna ship already..... :(

KindredMAC
Jan 31, 2007, 09:21 PM
It's not shipping early.... in about 2 hours it will be February.

They said "Ship February". They are.

Still good news that it is on its way, unlike how the 2nd gen Shuffle said ship October and it never made it to most stores until a couple weeks before Thanksgiving!!!

macintel4me
Jan 31, 2007, 09:22 PM
My ship date originally said Feb 28 and arriving March 6. About 30 minutes ago I received an email from Apple saying my new AirPort Extreme Basestation just shipped. Exactly 4 weeks ahead of schedule!! :D

SoldOutMatinee
Jan 31, 2007, 09:23 PM
It's not shipping early.... in about 2 hours it will be February.

They said "Ship February". They are.

Still good news that it is on its way, unlike how the 2nd gen Shuffle said ship October and it never made it to most stores until a couple weeks before Thanksgiving!!!

So did I misread this article? :confused: I'm really confused. :o

andyh2
Jan 31, 2007, 09:24 PM
Yes! Now I can FINNALY throw away the linksys!

Samurai
Jan 31, 2007, 09:27 PM
My ship date originally said Feb 28 and arriving March 6. About 30 minutes ago I received an email from Apple saying my new AirPort Extreme Basestation just shipped. Exactly 4 weeks ahead of schedule!! :D

I ordered mine the day of the keynote and my email today says it will ship by February 14th. I guess you must have ordered much earlier in the day than me and it will take them 2 weeks just to ship to people who ordered later in the day that it was released.

xfiftyfour
Jan 31, 2007, 09:42 PM
I ordered mine the day of the keynote and my email today says it will ship by February 14th. I guess you must have ordered much earlier in the day than me and it will take them 2 weeks just to ship to people who ordered later in the day that it was released.

or they just don't like you.

;)

I always wondered exactly how that worked, though.. if it really is first placed first shipped.. or if there's more selectivity than that..

swingerofbirch
Jan 31, 2007, 09:44 PM
Question: what is the potential use of this bandwidth? I have 768k DSL, even if I had 15 mbps Cable Internet standard wifi would provide ample room to move that amount of data.......

Samurai
Jan 31, 2007, 09:46 PM
Question: what is the potential use of this bandwidth? I have 768k DSL, even if I had 15 mbps Cable Internet standard wifi would provide ample room to move that amount of data.......

To handle the multiple HD videos streams going to each of your 3 Apple TVs locate throughout your house :D

noojinb
Jan 31, 2007, 09:47 PM
I have a wireless router that is 802.11n, and tonight I noticed my mbpro updated the the airport card- 2 questions:

1) This may be completely stupid, but will my current router be compatible?
2) Is apple distributing the 802.11n software update free of charge, contrary to earlier reports?

Thanks

imacdaddy
Jan 31, 2007, 09:49 PM
Just checked. Mine says...

AIRPORT EXTREME BASE STATION/802.11N-ITP
Ships by: 28/02/2007
Delivers by: 02/03/2007

:(

Surreal
Jan 31, 2007, 09:49 PM
if i buy one of these, can i use my linksys wrtg54L as an extender?

how frustrating do you estimate this would be if it is possible??

The Stig
Jan 31, 2007, 09:50 PM
I ordered a base station too and they haven't shipped mine yet.. :( I didn't pay for faster shipping... Oh well... I can wait... I guess.... If I have to....

The Stig

ezekielrage_99
Jan 31, 2007, 09:53 PM
I ordered a base station too and they haven't shipped mine yet.. :( I didn't pay for faster shipping... Oh well... I can wait... I guess.... If I have to....

The Stig

My new Airport BaseStation (old one) just arrived, I really didn't think I'd be seeing it until the end of Feb (typing while openning the box).

I hope you get your BaseStaion soon.

SoldOutMatinee
Jan 31, 2007, 09:57 PM
Is apple distributing the 802.11n software update free of charge, contrary to earlier reports?

Thanks

If you buy the AEBS, then yes, you'll get the enabler for free. You have to have a C2D machine though(to enable the N thingy), except for the cheapest iMac.

QCassidy352
Jan 31, 2007, 09:59 PM

file tranfer among computers can benefit from this speed increase though

twoodcc
Jan 31, 2007, 10:04 PM
ah man.....i was gonna get one of these....but i got a gig of ram for my mac pro instead......you think i made the right choice? (only had 1 gb)

iW00t
Jan 31, 2007, 10:07 PM
if i buy one of these, can i use my linksys wrtg54L as an extender?

how frustrating do you estimate this would be if it is possible??

No..

802.11g only operated in the 2.4ghz band, whereas the Airport operates in both 2.4 and 5ghz bands. In fact it works by broadcasting the signal over 2 channels to get the good speed IIRC. Hence you can't use your old extender.

dlastmango
Jan 31, 2007, 10:16 PM
Has anyone heard of apple releasing an Airport Extreme card that has the N capability? my Ethernet port has burned up and I use a airport card in my G5 for internet.

Chris

Doctor Q
Jan 31, 2007, 10:16 PM
I've made a note to skip school and work, starting February 20, and start sitting on the front lawn to wait until the delivery person arrives with my :apple:TV. :)

SoldOutMatinee
Jan 31, 2007, 10:18 PM
Has anyone heard of apple releasing an Airport Extreme card that has the N capability? my Ethernet port has burned up and I use a airport card in my G5 for internet.

Chris

Nope, they don't have one.....yet.

SiliconAddict
Jan 31, 2007, 10:31 PM
Has anyone started to compile what Draft N routers the MBP and iMac are compatible with? :confused:

Nermal
Jan 31, 2007, 10:41 PM
Wait, it says on the website that It'll ship within 2-3 weeks. I thought it was gonna ship already..... :(

Yeah, I was about to post that. Maybe some people are just getting them early for some reason.

arn
Jan 31, 2007, 10:52 PM
The people who pre-ordered them are getting them shipped now.

If you order now, you'll be behind everyone who already ordered.

arn

mcobian
Jan 31, 2007, 10:52 PM
Yes, I confirm the 20th of February for the Apple TV to ship and be in Apple store

Peace
Jan 31, 2007, 10:58 PM
Well if you order both things now like I just did you get :

APPLE TV
Ships by: Feb 28
Delivers by: Mar 6

AIRPORT EXTREME BASE STATION/802.11N
Ships by: Feb 22
Delivers by: Feb 28

Surreal
Jan 31, 2007, 11:00 PM
No..

802.11g only operated in the 2.4ghz band, whereas the Airport operates in both 2.4 and 5ghz bands. In fact it works by broadcasting the signal over 2 channels to get the good speed IIRC. Hence you can't use your old extender.

dag

not even just a G extender? i want the air disk functionality. and half of my apartment has bad reception. daggumit/

aswitcher
Jan 31, 2007, 11:20 PM
Can anyone talk about the new airport utility, and its ability to detect and show interferance, so you can better setup your network?

Mine ships feb 21

bruno9
Feb 1, 2007, 12:51 AM
After ordering on 28-Jan, I received the following message tonight:

"To Our Valued Apple Customer: Apple today began shipping our new AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n). We are delighted to tell you that we plan to ship your AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n) two weeks earlier than we had anticipated. We now plan to ship your product on or before Wednesday, February 14. No action on your part is required."

liketom
Feb 1, 2007, 01:17 AM
this has not made it's way to the UK yet :rolleyes: still 28th feb march delivery here:(

redAPPLE
Feb 1, 2007, 01:33 AM
You have to have a C2D machine though(to enable the N thingy), except for the cheapest iMac.

wha? an intel machine is needed for "n"?

edit: i can't wait for the early bird reviews.

Kelmon
Feb 1, 2007, 01:46 AM
Whether or not my Airport Extreme is ready to ship or not I expect that my order is being held back by the Iomega MiniMaxi drive/hub that I ordered as well since the Apple Store were selling the 320GB version with 25% off but with a 2-3 week delay. I'm not expecting my kit to arrive until late February due to this but then again I'm not exactly in a rush for it all.

Funny, this has to be the first order of mine with Apple where I haven't been checking the order status page each day.

ApolloX
Feb 1, 2007, 02:07 AM
With all the talk of the new AirPort Extreme Base stations, has Apple commented on a new AirPort Extreme N wireless card? As MacWorld reports, you wil get better speeds if your entire network is 802.11n rather supporting both 802.11n and 802.11g, so where are the cards to upgrade older laptops?

photomaniac
Feb 1, 2007, 02:46 AM
Will the new base station extend the distance for G devices?

It will not extend G devices any further in a general technological sense... only way it may be marginally further is if Apple has a more powerful antenna for the G band, in comparison to their previous model(s).

Krevnik
Feb 1, 2007, 03:02 AM
Has anyone started to compile what Draft N routers the MBP and iMac are compatible with? :confused:

Apple's Draft N router... and... Apple's Draft N router.

Seriously. The only brand I haven't had to return yet (that offers gigabit ports) is the Linksys, and that is because I haven't bought it (although xlr8yourmac has a report that the Linksys won't do any better). Haven't tried the Belkin, but I am not expecting any better results.

Seems that there are some fun issues with Apple's Draft N and 3rd party Draft N hardware that causes your nice 802.11n setup to behave like an 802.11b setup. Not fun.

Peace
Feb 1, 2007, 03:06 AM
Apple's Draft N router... and... Apple's Draft N router.

Seriously. The only brand I haven't had to return yet (that offers gigabit ports) is the Linksys, and that is because I haven't bought it (although xlr8yourmac has a report that the Linksys won't do any better). Haven't tried the Belkin, but I am not expecting any better results.

Seems that there are some fun issues with Apple's Draft N and 3rd party Draft N hardware that causes your nice 802.11n setup to behave like an 802.11b setup. Not fun.

I said earlier in the topic of draft-n that it would be best to purchase hardware from the same manufacturer.

Not to be an Apple salesman but the best thing to do is get an Apple Extreme 802.11n router.

Krevnik
Feb 1, 2007, 03:08 AM
I said earlier in the topic of draft-n that it would be best to purchase hardware from the same manufacturer.

Not to be an Apple salesman but the best thing to do is get an Apple Extreme 802.11n router.

I wouldn't have a problem with that if Apple didn't force me to pick up a Gigabit switch too for my NAS.

heisetax
Feb 1, 2007, 04:04 AM

My email said that it would ship by Feb 14, just as in this article. Some may have theirs. 2 weeks sounds like soon to me, not now.

Bill the TaxMan

indiekiduk
Feb 1, 2007, 04:10 AM
whats the point without gigabit? this is dumb

dernhelm
Feb 1, 2007, 04:54 AM
Happy Valentines day to me!

To Our Valued Apple Customer:

Apple today began shipping our new AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n). We are delighted to tell you that we plan to ship your AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n) two weeks earlier than we had anticipated. We now plan to ship your product on or before Wednesday, February 14. No action on your part is required.

dernhelm
Feb 1, 2007, 05:05 AM
Does anyone know if the 802.11n extender software for my iMac will ship in the Airport box, or if I need to order it separately?

aLoC
Feb 1, 2007, 05:28 AM

Yeah, they put gigabit on all their computers and then come out with a router which is ... um... megabit.

iW00t
Feb 1, 2007, 06:01 AM
Yeah, they put gigabit on all their computers and then come out with a router which is ... um... megabit.

Mabey Apple will release a firmware update to unlock gigabit speeds.

macintel4me
Feb 1, 2007, 06:02 AM
I originally thought the same thing. However, I found a new 5-port SMC gigabit switch for $27. It's not one nice device, but the price isn't bad.

crazedbytheheat
Feb 1, 2007, 06:07 AM

:p I ordered immediately after the Keynote when these became available and still won't ship until the 14th. Must have been a lot of us hitting refresh.

Does anyone know if you can replace the network cards in the iMac or MacBook? I have the original Core Duo, not the Core 2 Duo, so I suspect I only have 802.11g capabilities. I've heard that mixed network environments slow the 802.11n down.

Now if I can just get them to ship the AppleTV sooner so I can hook it to my beautiful new Bravia!

htdefiant
Feb 1, 2007, 06:17 AM
I'm just posting to confirm the rumor, I received the e-mail as well.

GregA
Feb 1, 2007, 06:23 AM

So... if I have an old PowerBook (802.11g), and a new MacBook Pro (802.11n), does the Airport Extreme switch into 802.11g mode? Or can he MBP run at the higher speeds while the PowerBook runs at regular speeds???

aLoC
Feb 1, 2007, 06:43 AM

Depends what the hardware is I guess.

Speaking for myself, my DSL modem already has a megabit router built in, so I won't be buying the Apple one. *If* they had made it gigabit, I would have bought it and switched my modem in to bridge mode, and had a crazy fast pure Apple network going on.

dmaxdmax
Feb 1, 2007, 07:42 AM
Should Apple brick & mortar stores get them earlier?

Chupa Chupa
Feb 1, 2007, 08:36 AM
Does anyone know if you can replace the network cards in the iMac or MacBook? I have the original Core Duo, not the Core 2 Duo, so I suspect I only have 802.11g capabilities.

You are correct. As of today there is no upgrade path for non C2D Macs except for the MP. I doubt Apple will have a solution either. Maybe a 3rd party will come up with something. (I hope so. I've got a PB I'm keeping around as a legacy PPC/Classic machine. It would be great if someone came up with a Mac compat. "n" PC Card).

Chupa Chupa
Feb 1, 2007, 08:40 AM

My experience has been that once Apple starts shipping the Apple Stores are priority one. Many a time I've pre-ordered the day a product was announced only to see the Apple Store get stock before my order even shipped. I've stopped pre-ordering most stuff for that reason.

sfwalter
Feb 1, 2007, 08:49 AM
I purchased right after they were available. The 802.11n speeds will be nice once I get a Mac that supports 802.11n, I have an original MBP. So at least I will future proof my wireless router a while.

But the real reason I ordered the router was for the AirDisk functionality. I get sick of having to go sit at my desk to use my external drives.

noojinb
Feb 1, 2007, 09:15 AM
If you buy the AEBS, then yes, you'll get the enabler for free. You have to have a C2D machine though(to enable the N thingy), except for the cheapest iMac.

My mbpro is a c2d machine. Did anybody else's airport card update last night?

EagerDragon
Feb 1, 2007, 10:07 AM

Also it eliminates the finger pointing when things don't quite work. Given that both are from Apple, they can investigate and resolve the issues.

One Brand!

Chupa Chupa
Feb 1, 2007, 10:10 AM

There is a new Airport update out on Software Download. This update is for all airport users, and does not contain the "n" enabler. The "n" enabler is $1.99 d/l or included with the new basestation.

valkraider
Feb 1, 2007, 10:22 AM
You are correct. As of today there is no upgrade path for non C2D Macs except for the MP. I doubt Apple will have a solution either. Maybe a 3rd party will come up with something. (I hope so. I've got a PB I'm keeping around as a legacy PPC/Classic machine. It would be great if someone came up with a Mac compat. "n" PC Card).

Maybe? Of course there will be "n" wireless cards...

Of course you will need card slots or USB2.0...

Belkin reveals ExpressCard 802.11n solutions (http://www.macworld.co.uk/education/news/index.cfm?newsid=16879&pagtype=samechandate)

They also have PCCard and USB versions as well. And this is just Belkin, I am sure others will as well.

Now, if your laptop is older and does not have an ExpressCard slot or a PCCard slot or USB2.0 then you will not be able to use 802.11n easily. No matter if it is an Apple laptop or not... :)

morespce54
Feb 1, 2007, 10:34 AM
ah man.....i was gonna get one of these....but i got a gig of ram for my mac pro instead......you think i made the right choice? (only had 1 gb)

RAM is always good (if not, *critical*).
Once you get the RAM, then you get the rest ;)

morespce54
Feb 1, 2007, 10:50 AM

mine (iMac) was updated a few days ago...

ChrisA
Feb 1, 2007, 11:17 AM

TO Lets say you hooked a disk or printer to the new Airport Base Station. Moving data between your computer and the disk and printer will be faster. Also should you buy an Apple TV the vdeo data will move fast enough that if can be streamed from the computer to the TV.

But still a wired network is faster. Wreless is for notebooks and people who can not pull wire.

Wender
Feb 1, 2007, 12:42 PM
So I guess then, that I can put one of these devices into a USB2 port of my iMac Core "NOT 2" Duo and join the fast fun?

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=299328

Callaway
Feb 1, 2007, 12:46 PM
Sounds exciting. How about 802.11n usb adapters?

***Doh...thanks Wender :)

Xapplimatic
Feb 1, 2007, 01:49 PM
Ordered the Airport and Apple TV two weeks ago and now I get a ship date of Feb 14 for the Airport? Yet it will be in Apple stores by tomorrow? Cancel my order, I'll get it "early" by driving to an Apple store.. :P

Xapplimatic
Feb 1, 2007, 01:52 PM
TO Lets say you hooked a disk or printer to the new Airport Base Station. Moving data between your computer and the disk and printer will be faster. Also should you buy an Apple TV the vdeo data will move fast enough that if can be streamed from the computer to the TV.

But still a wired network is faster. Wreless is for notebooks and people who can not pull wire.

Wired is not faster unless your hub is gigabit and all your wires are CAT-6.. that's rather expensive. ANd then each computer has to have Gigabit ports as well to make it worthwhile...

Apple's wireless N router serves up over 200Mbps to multiple connections, that's not a shared bandwidth.. so if you're like me with plenty of 10/100 Ethernet gear, there's no incentive to stay wired..

aristobrat
Feb 1, 2007, 01:57 PM
Ordered the Airport and Apple TV two weeks ago and now I get a ship date of Feb 14 for the Airport? Yet it will be in Apple stores by tomorrow? Cancel my order, I'll get it "early" by driving to an Apple store.. :P
I'd make sure you actually get yours at the store before your cancel your order.

The stores keep the first five APs for themselves and can sell the rest. I don't know how many each store is getting, but if a lot of other people have the same idea you do, the stores potentially could sell out.

Macinposh
Feb 1, 2007, 02:34 PM
Wired is not faster unless your hub is gigabit and all your wires are CAT-6.. that's rather expensive.

Apple's wireless N router serves up over 200Mbps to multiple connections, that's not a shared bandwidth..

Few questions.

Soo, there is practically no benefits for normal in/out useage of the net (in this case a 8/2Mb line) compared to the previous airports?
IF there would be some benefits, what would it be? 10-20%?
In the work we have a older airport extreme,and the max output that i have achieved is aroun 300-400kb/sec.. Wich is really crappy.
We have bee trying to up it,but nooo..

What about the computer-to-computer connections or comp-router-comp connections, are there any expected benefits?
I have a lot of files needed to transfer between intel-intel and powpc-intel setups in the enviroment,and no cabling is possible.
Could the N give some benefits there?

Anyone?

:apple:

aristobrat
Feb 1, 2007, 02:45 PM
I have a lot of files needed to transfer between intel-intel and powpc-intel setups in the enviroment,and no cabling is possible.
It should, but I can't find any specs.

802.11n is supposed to be the fastest when all wireless devices connecting to the 802.11n access point are 802.11n themselves.

Since your PPC Macs aren't 802.11n, I wouldn't imagine your network running at "full 802.11n" speed, but it should still be faster than it is now.

uNext
Feb 1, 2007, 02:51 PM
Do the apple retail stores already have the airport express n?

I am like 2 minutes way from the store

aristobrat
Feb 1, 2007, 02:53 PM
Mine didn't get any in today.

Madmax1977
Feb 1, 2007, 03:14 PM
This morning I got shipping notification....and now it has just arrived....sitting on my desk at work in front of me...about to install software!!!

Very Sweet!!!

eme jota ce
Feb 1, 2007, 03:34 PM

What's the value of the unlock? $1.99? ;)

Baculo
Feb 1, 2007, 03:43 PM
I have a Dlink 614+ wireless router that has worked really well for many years, EXCEPT with the Macbook we bought last August. The wireless performance is terrible- connection keeps getting dropped, and it is extremely slow in making a connection. For example, when browsing in Safari, the MB stalls when trying to open a page, while my older PowerBook G4 just snaps to the pages. Both are going through the same DLink router. Is this a compatibility issue between the MB and the router, which will be corrected with the new Apple Extreme Wireless router?

aristobrat
Feb 1, 2007, 05:14 PM
I don't know what's wrong between your MB and your DLink, but I can't imagine that the new Airport Extreme access point from Apple would leave your MacBook acting like it does now with your DLink. :eek:

Xapplimatic
Feb 1, 2007, 08:35 PM
Few questions.

Soo, there is practically no benefits for normal in/out useage of the net (in this case a 8/2Mb line) compared to the previous airports?
IF there would be some benefits, what would it be? 10-20%?
In the work we have a older airport extreme,and the max output that i have achieved is aroun 300-400kb/sec.. Wich is really crappy.
We have bee trying to up it,but nooo..

What about the computer-to-computer connections or comp-router-comp connections, are there any expected benefits?

Anyone?

:apple:

I guarantee the BIGGEST boost for the N router is between Macs running N airport / generic 802.11n cards.. It's not gonna boost your connection speed to the net.. not unless you have multiple Macs and a fiber optic connection, only then would you see any benefits on the WAN side. The big benefit is that your Apple TV and your Macs can now stream video at greater than playback speed which allows for seemless viewing of content from any system running iTunes on your HDTV (or any TV). Secondarily, you now have an easy to use backup drive accessible to any networked Mac, wirelessly (will be a big plus when Leopard comes with Time Machine). Thirdly, Mac to Mac networking should speed up to sub-Gigabit speeds thanks to MIMO technology.. each Mac can simultaneously send/recieve 200-300 Mbps at the same time, allowing file transfers to finally exceed the speed of most wired networks).

Xapplimatic
Feb 1, 2007, 08:38 PM
I have a Dlink 614+ wireless router that has worked really well for many years, EXCEPT with the Macbook we bought last August. The wireless performance is terrible- connection keeps getting dropped, and it is extremely slow in making a connection. For example, when browsing in Safari, the MB stalls when trying to open a page, while my older PowerBook G4 just snaps to the pages. Both are going through the same DLink router. Is this a compatibility issue between the MB and the router, which will be corrected with the new Apple Extreme Wireless router?

Did you run the recent Intel Airport updater from Software Update? This was specifically for Intel systems. I've always run a genuine Airport 802.11g here, so it really didn't affect my MacBook's performance as it has always been as good as any of the PPC systems here.

aswitcher
Feb 2, 2007, 12:42 AM
This morning I got shipping notification....and now it has just arrived....sitting on my desk at work in front of me...about to install software!!!

Very Sweet!!!

How did it go?

Whats the software like?

richard4339
Feb 2, 2007, 10:14 AM
After ordering on 28-Jan, I received the following message tonight:

"To Our Valued Apple Customer: Apple today began shipping our new AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n). We are delighted to tell you that we plan to ship your AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n) two weeks earlier than we had anticipated. We now plan to ship your product on or before Wednesday, February 14. No action on your part is required."

I got an email similar to that once (I bought a new iPod 5.5G within 10 minutes of the store coming back online after the keynote). The ship time at that point wasn't extremely quick (maybe a week?), but I got notification that since I ordered mine so quickly, it would be shipped within 24 hours.

6 days later, I got the email notifying me that FedEx had it in their hands...

Krevnik
Feb 2, 2007, 10:32 AM
What's the value of the unlock? $1.99? ;)

I don't honestly believe that there is gigabit hardware in the new Airport router. If there was, there is no point in crippling it, especially when having it enabled makes your solution more competitive against products in a similar price range.

In the case of the n-hardware in the C2D line, it does make sense to disable the n, since Apple didn't have any access point hardware for it, and draft-n still has lots of fun issues when using hardware from different vendors. In this case, I found that even if you have the exact same chipset in both devices, the drivers/software above it can still make them incompatible. It would be a /horrible/ experience to enable the n-hardware at a time where there was no actual n router that would work with it.

17MBPC2D
Feb 2, 2007, 04:00 PM
FYI, I just pickup the NEW Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11n at Apple Store @ Millenia Mall, Orlando FL.
It's up and running.....

craigverse
Feb 2, 2007, 06:55 PM
Apple is way ahead of schedule! I was originally informed my airport would ship at the end of this month... Then I received a message from apple like many of you saying it would ship early... I was told the 14th... WELL! I just now received another message saying it was shipped like 5 mins ago... I'll have it by tomorrow apparently... Yay for overnight shipping!

stillwater
Feb 2, 2007, 07:51 PM
Mine shipped today. It should arrive on Monday.

weckart
Feb 3, 2007, 06:10 AM
Also in stock at the Apple Store Brent Cross in London

iW00t
Feb 3, 2007, 06:37 AM
FYI, I just pickup the NEW Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11n at Apple Store @ Millenia Mall, Orlando FL.
It's up and running.....

How is file sharing working out for you? I read a few posts saying how the whole thing is all real dodgey so I am feeling rather jittery about getting another lemon! :(

Chef Medeski
Feb 3, 2007, 07:55 AM
It's up and running.....
Damn should have never left Orlando.

They say they are going to have it in this week at my local store.

solace
Feb 3, 2007, 02:20 PM
what sort of speeds are you getting between your Macbook/Pro w/ N and your Airport Extreme?

w/ my D-Link DIR-655, which uses the exact same Atheros chipset as my MacBook, i link up at 144 according to OS X's network utility, and my speed ranges from 103-130 when i check my D-Link's admin page?

Krevnik
Feb 3, 2007, 04:06 PM
what sort of speeds are you getting between your Macbook/Pro w/ N and your Airport Extreme?

w/ my D-Link DIR-655, which uses the exact same Atheros chipset as my MacBook, i link up at 144 according to OS X's network utility, and my speed ranges from 103-130 when i check my D-Link's admin page?

I get linked at 144Mbit on the Extreme as well (you have to configure it for wide-band mode to get full speed, which excludes g/b clients). However, in my case, I also saw this:

D-Link speeds: ISP - 12Mbit download, 25Kbit upload (supposed to be 386Kbit, but the D-Link will eventually 'catch up' to the proper speed if I try uploading a file for more than a couple minutes... iDisk is worthless on this)... Network - 100-140Mbit download, 4Mbit upload. I returned it, obviously.

Apple speeds: ISP - 10Mbit download, 360Kbit upload... Network - 100-140Mbit download, 100-140Mbit upload. I have setup a 5Ghz n-only network and still get about 100Mbit to my wired clients, for obvious reasons, but the link itself is 280-300Mbit.

(Note: These are actual transfer speeds, rather than what is reported by a tools that try to report what the link speed is)

aristobrat
Feb 3, 2007, 04:09 PM
How are you figuring out your upload/download speed?

solace
Feb 3, 2007, 04:15 PM
I get linked at 144Mbit on the Extreme as well (you have to configure it for wide-band mode to get full speed, which excludes g/b clients). However, in my case, I also saw this:

D-Link speeds: ISP - 12Mbit download, 25Kbit upload (supposed to be 386Kbit, but the D-Link will eventually 'catch up' to the proper speed if I try uploading a file for more than a couple minutes... iDisk is worthless on this)... Network - 100-140Mbit download, 4Mbit upload. I returned it, obviously.

Apple speeds: ISP - 10Mbit download, 360Kbit upload... Network - 100-140Mbit download, 100-140Mbit upload. I have setup a 5Ghz n-only network and still get about 100Mbit to my wired clients, for obvious reasons, but the link itself is 280-300Mbit.

(Note: These are actual transfer speeds, rather than what is reported by a tools that try to report what the link speed is)

interesting... mine definitely transfers closer to 100 mbit on the upload. did you upgrade to the latest 1.02 firmware?

i'll hold off before i start panicking, because it's certainly faster than my linksys G router, and the range is better. hopefully it will improve with apple & d-link firmware updates

Krevnik
Feb 3, 2007, 04:16 PM
How are you figuring out your upload/download speed?

For ISP links, I use speedtest.net, followed by a timed test of copying a 50MB file to iDisk, or vice versa, to make sure that speedtest's results are accurate.

For the local network, I use an Infrant ReadyNAS and my Mac Pro, doing a timed test on a 600MB file... It gets pretty obvious when your rate drops really low (4Mbit/sec is about 500KB/sec).

Krevnik
Feb 3, 2007, 04:17 PM
interesting... mine definitely transfers closer to 100 mbit on the upload. did you upgrade to the latest 1.02 firmware?

i'll hold off before i start panicking, because it's certainly faster than my linksys G router, and the range is better. hopefully it will improve with apple & d-link firmware updates

It was on the latest firmware out of the box, and it was just really annoying to see such crappy upload. It affected all clients to the router, wired and wireless, so it wasn't an 802.11n issue.

aristobrat
Feb 3, 2007, 05:09 PM
I'm confused about what the new Extreme is showing for rates for the clients connected to it (in the picture below).

The first two clients are older Airports (802.11g) connected via WDS and are bridging for TiVos. Make sense that their rate is 54, if the 54 indicates 54mbps (which is what 802.11g is).

The third client is my roommate's Dell laptop, connected at 802.11n

The last two clients are two MacBook Pros, also connected at 802.11n

What I don't understand is why the rate for the Dell laptop is so high. Can it really be connected at 270mpbs, or am I reading this whole rate thing incorrectly?

Peace
Feb 3, 2007, 05:27 PM
I'm confused about what the new Extreme is showing for rates for the clients connected to it (in the picture below).

The first two clients are older Airports (802.11g) connected via WDS and are bridging for TiVos. Make sense that their rate is 54, if the 54 indicates 54mbps (which is what 802.11g is).

What I don't understand is why the rate for the Dell laptop is so high. Can it really be connected at 270mpbs, or am I reading this whole rate thing incorrectly?

Are you sure the 2 MBP's have the .n enabler installed on their laptops? And what version OS X are they running and dumb question.Are they Core 2 Duo's?

Krevnik
Feb 3, 2007, 05:36 PM

802.11n supports up to 300Mbps, although it needs to span two channels to do it (usually). I am not sure why the Apple clients are actually not connected at the same speed. :/

aswitcher
Feb 3, 2007, 05:39 PM

Your interpretation looks right to me. The Dell has the best reception and seems to be getting the highest transfer. Or the software is reading the Dell differently because the standards are different.

Your only true way of knowing is to move some large files and see how fast they move.

By the way can the software detect and show other interferance and un attached networks.

aswitcher
Feb 3, 2007, 05:49 PM

Did Apple include any of these sorts of older tools they developed.

http://www.macriot.com/article.php/20051107231950660

Cybergypsy
Feb 3, 2007, 05:58 PM
Do the apple retail stores already have the airport express n?

I am like 2 minutes way from the store

Yes someone on the forum here has one and keeps getting a amber light....

aristobrat
Feb 3, 2007, 06:04 PM
Are you sure the 2 MBP's have the .n enabler installed on their laptops? And what version OS X are they running and dumb question.Are they Core 2 Duo's?
Yup, both have the .n enabled. They're both C2D (2.16ghz) and running 10.4.8.

By the way can the software detect and show other interferance and un attached networks.
Did Apple include any of these sorts of older tools they developed.

http://www.macriot.com/article.php/20051107231950660
The software in the link above looks like what's in the new "AirPort Utility". I haven't seen how to make it show anything other than what's in the screenshot above.

802.11n supports up to 300Mbps, although it needs to span two channels to do it (usually). I am not sure why the Apple clients are actually not connected at the same speed. :/
My network is mixed -- 802.11n w/ 802.11g clients attached, so I thought it wasn't supposed to run at full speed, which is why I was confused to see the Dell connected at such a high speed.

The ultimate test is copying some files. I'll try that in a bit and see if it's really 2x faster than the MBPs. :)

Peel
Feb 3, 2007, 10:46 PM
The ultimate test is copying some files.

I did some tests pre and post upgrade. Here are my results:

Here's my setup:

equipment:
Linksys WRT300N router
iMac G5 Gigabit Ethernet connection to Router
MacBook C2D connecting via airport card

Test File: 59.2MB QuickTime h.264 video

Test distances:
test 1: 1 meter distance, no obstructions between MacBook and Router
test 2: 20 meters distance, wood and plaster walls between MacBook and Router

I tested an upload from MacBook to iMac, and a download of the same file from iMac to MacBook. Each test was done 4 times, and the numbers shown below are averages. I ran the test in a mixed mode on router before the upgrade, in N-only mode on router, and mixed-mode after the upgrade, for a total of 48 file transfers.

Transfer times are in seconds

Test 1: 1 meter, no obstructions

MacBook Router Upload Download
.....G......Mixed....40.........35
.....N.........N.......31.........12
.....N......Mixed....31.........20

Test 2: 20 meter, with obstructions

MacBook Router Upload Download
.....G......Mixed....65.........62
.....N.........N.......31.........12
.....N......Mixed....32.........19

Most interesting to me was the disparity between up and downloads. I wouldn't have thought there to be a difference here, and I'm not sure where this is coming from: the MacBook, Router, or iMac.

Also notice the time difference for the long distance test in G versus the same tests in N. I was sitting on my front sidewalk for this test, and in G mode (pre-upgrade) I had 1-2 bars showing on the Airport icon. In N mode I had all 4 bars showing all the time. This alone is worth the price of admission to me :)

aswitcher
Feb 3, 2007, 10:55 PM
I did some tests pre and post upgrade. Here are my results:

Also notice the time difference for the long distance test in G versus the same tests in N. I was sitting on my front sidewalk for this test, and in G mode (pre-upgrade) I had 1-2 bars showing on the Airport icon. In N mode I had all 4 bars showing all the time. This alone is worth the price of admission to me :)

Nice one. Thanks.

If you do this again could you put some screen shots of the managment software reporting transfer speeds?

aristobrat
Feb 3, 2007, 10:57 PM
I was sitting on my front sidewalk for this test, and in G mode (pre-upgrade) I had 1-2 bars showing on the Airport icon. In N mode I had all 4 bars showing all the time. This alone is worth the price of admission to me :)
I had the same experience -- 4 bars at a distance that I would normally only have 1 or 2.

What surprised me was that even though I had 4 bars, the Airport Extreme client status utility showed my connection had dropped from 300 Mb down to 62 Mb. I guess you can't use the bars anymore to get a feel for how fast the connection actually is. :confused:

aristobrat
Feb 3, 2007, 11:19 PM
Nice one. Thanks.

If you do this again could you put some screen shots of the managment software reporting transfer speeds?
This isn't quite what you're asking him for, but for what it's worth, here's two shots of the AirPort Utility showing my connect speeds.

On the shots below, my MBP is the green line. As you can see from the signal, I was walking all around my house (inside and out).

The first shot is when I was inside, sitting on the couch, about 10 feet from the new Airport Extreme. It shows my MBP connected at 300 Mb.

The second shot is when I was outside the back of my house, about 150 feet from the AE. It shows my MBP connected at 108 Mb. I didn't snag it in that shot, but I had four signal bars out there too. :)

I ended up setting up a dual-band network (with my 802.11g devices on a separate 2.4ghz network than my 802.11n-only 5ghz network). Works great, and now all of the 802.11n laptops connect at 300 Mb.

aswitcher
Feb 4, 2007, 02:49 AM
I ended up setting up a dual-band network (with my 802.11g devices on a separate 2.4ghz network than my 802.11n-only 5ghz network). Works great, and now all of the 802.11n laptops connect at 300 Mb.

What are you using for your g network? An older model AE?

I am hoping the MIMO aspect means that N/G dual will give me better reception for my G MBP that I get now.

Krevnik
Feb 4, 2007, 11:04 AM
Most interesting to me was the disparity between up and downloads. I wouldn't have thought there to be a difference here, and I'm not sure where this is coming from: the MacBook, Router, or iMac.

It is the router + computer mix, I saw the exact same disparity with the same router, and I do /not/ see it with the Airport Extreme. Considering I move large files regularly (one of the reasons for wanting N), it is frustrating to see it. If you used the router with the same brand wireless hardware, then you would likely not see it either.

aristobrat
Feb 4, 2007, 11:23 AM
What are you using for your g network? An older model AE?

I am hoping the MIMO aspect means that N/G dual will give me better reception for my G MBP that I get now.
I'm using an older Extreme and an Airport for my G network -- one on each end of the house.

Now my issue du jour is that in Boot Camp (XP SP2), neither of the C2D MBPs here can successfully connect to the N or the G network. In OS X, both MBPs can connect to either. Roommates Dell laptop (also running XP) can connect to either as well. :confused:

buckwheat
Feb 5, 2007, 10:31 AM
My AIRPORT EXTREME BASE STATION/802.11N-USA just shipped from China. ETD is tomorrow. I ordered the morning of the announcement(s).

I'll post my results as soon as I get it and let you know performance etc

aswitcher
Feb 5, 2007, 01:10 PM
Using mine as a mixed one to effectively G network at present.

So first AE ordered on Keynote - Landed to me Monday 5 Feb

Second AE ordered 31 Jan - Expects to land 3 March.

wseefeld
Feb 5, 2007, 01:30 PM
I am very disappointed in the monitoring capabilities of the new Airport Utility. I can't compare it to any previous versions, since I didn't use them. But this utility is all about configuration, with almost no visibility into operational data. Unless I'm missing something, but I've looked carefully. PM me, and I'll describe the one monitoring screen that I have found.

Can anyone talk about the new airport utility, and its ability to detect and show interferance, so you can better setup your network?

Mine ships feb 21

wseefeld
Feb 5, 2007, 01:34 PM
The enabler utility is included on the CD that's in the box. It installs with the new Airport Utility and whatever else is on there. I noticed it specifically. What I can't figure out is how to verify that my MBP is indeed now running N protocols on N frequencies...

Does anyone know if the 802.11n extender software for my iMac will ship in the Airport box, or if I need to order it separately?

wseefeld
Feb 5, 2007, 01:35 PM
Yep. I picked mine up Friday (February 2nd) at my local store in the Memphis, TN area.

Wender
Feb 5, 2007, 02:05 PM
I ordered mine seconds after the Apple Store reappeared on the day of the announcement, but my delivery date is still unchanged at March 5th.

:-(

I live in Norway by the way...

macjonny1
Feb 5, 2007, 04:58 PM
I just got an email from apple that mine shipped today!!

aristobrat
Feb 5, 2007, 05:02 PM
I am very disappointed in the monitoring capabilities of the new Airport Utility. I can't compare it to any previous versions, since I didn't use them. But this utility is all about configuration, with almost no visibility into operational data. Unless I'm missing something, but I've looked carefully. PM me, and I'll describe the one monitoring screen that I have found.
Well, for what it's worth, there was pretty much no monitoring capabilities in the previous version. You couldn't even see what DHCP clients were using addresses. That's crazy!

With the new one, I can see pretty much everything I'd want to know about every unit connected to the base station.

What's missing that's disappointing? :confused:

martinmcfly
Feb 5, 2007, 07:07 PM
I was very surprised when the unit turned up today via FedEx.
The email I got said to expect it on or about the 14th.
Setting it up know.

appleforever
Feb 5, 2007, 08:36 PM
My shipped from China today! Scheduled delivery for tomorrow!!

Will let you know what I think!!

freediverdude
Feb 5, 2007, 09:02 PM
Yes, I was surprised also that mine showed up today. And yes I have the amber blinking light as well. As long as you're connected and everything else is fine, the blinking amber light means that you haven't enabled security on its network. If you go into the network utility, and on the summary panel, it will show the amber light next to your router, and if you click on that, it will go to another panel telling you the reason for the amber light. For mine, it was simply because I hadn't enabled security. (I have roommates, and I have to coordinate with them first before adding the security password.) Does anyone know, if these roommates have xp, would they be able to connect using the WPA2 security?

Latino4Me
Feb 5, 2007, 10:22 PM
I placed the order on 1/10/07. I got the email it was going to be shipped on 14th first, but today I received another email that it already shipped today and it will be delivered tomorrow (so they upgraded my shipping since I had just free regular shipping)

aristobrat
Feb 6, 2007, 08:39 AM
My roommate is running XP on a Dell laptop and has no problem with the Extreme set for "WPA2/WPA2 Personal".

vashim66
Feb 6, 2007, 01:42 PM
Any word on the AppleTV shipping or in store availability?

NightStorm
Feb 6, 2007, 02:12 PM
Any word on the AppleTV shipping or in store availability?

Not soon enough for me... I can't wait to get that thing installed and setup! :cool:

prpodium
Feb 6, 2007, 07:51 PM
Hey all,

this is my first post in this forum. i've been on here since august when i was going to buy a Macbook Pro.. ended up waiting (thanks to the info on here) until the C2D's came out.

i'm looking to pair my new C2D with an Airport Extreme. i was hoping you could answer a question for me... i download torrents often and i was wondering if you can use the port forwarding feature on an AE just like you can on a Linksys router to make for a faster download.

thanks for any input... i appreciate all the valuable info on here.

-Brandon

Madmax1977
Feb 6, 2007, 08:47 PM
How did it go?

Whats the software like?

Had a long weekend (middle of nowhere with no power etc) so only installed it all last night. Software seems good, default is an ultra easy way of setting up an AP, however if you want to control the access and other advanced features you need to swap to advanced view...still nicer than the old version. I really only wanted this so I could run the two Macs using a USB HD to backup both to the one location..that works great...obviously not as fast as the FW800 connection I usually use for this...but I'll take convenience over speed any day!!!
Just need to see if they are going to release an Airport card to support 802.11n in earlier Macs, my MBP is CD so can't test that side of things yet...

aristobrat
Feb 6, 2007, 09:11 PM
i was hoping you could answer a question for me... i download torrents often and i was wondering if you can use the port forwarding feature on an AE just like you can on a Linksys router to make for a faster download.
Yeah, you can setup port forwarding like you do on your LinkSys, or you can enable a feature called "NAT Port Mapping Protocol". Some torrent programs (like Azureus) can use that to open ports on your firewall on the fly, so you don't have to worry about setting up static port forwarding yourself.

Latino4Me
Feb 7, 2007, 06:11 PM
... you can enable a feature called "NAT Port Mapping Protocol". Some torrent programs (like Azureus) can use that to open ports on your firewall on the fly, so you don't have to worry about setting up static port forwarding yourself.

I tried it and it does not work. When I to go Azureus/NAT Test it tells me : NAT Error - Connection to ***.***.***.***:65535 refused. ( I relaced my ip of course). Can anyone help with configuring Base station so that Azureus can properly work with this port forwarding, please?
Thanks!

heisetax
Feb 7, 2007, 09:09 PM
The enabler utility is included on the CD that's in the box. It installs with the new Airport Utility and whatever else is on there. I noticed it specifically. What I can't figure out is how to verify that my MBP is indeed now running N protocols on N frequencies...

I have an Intel Mac Pro. My Apple N Router came today. I ran the programs on the encolsed CD. The Mac says that the N Router has a very good signal, but I have been unable to connect to this new wireless network. I also can not connect with my wife's MDD PPC with a G PCI Card in it.

My old router will still work with either computer system.

I'll be unplugging the new N Router & wait until things slow down around here or May 1, whichever comes first. Back to work.

Unconnected,

Bill the TaxMan

aristobrat
Feb 7, 2007, 09:44 PM
I tried it and it does not work. When I to go Azureus/NAT Test it tells me : NAT Error - Connection to ***.***.***.***:65535 refused. ( I relaced my ip of course). Can anyone help with configuring Base station so that Azureus can properly work with this port forwarding, please?
Thanks!
Don't know if these screenshots will help, but for what it's worth:

Latino4Me
Feb 7, 2007, 10:17 PM
Don't know if these screenshots will help, but for what it's worth:

It works! Great! Thank you so much!

prpodium
Feb 7, 2007, 10:43 PM
Yes! great info, thanks so much!

aristobrat
Feb 8, 2007, 09:25 AM
Anytime. :)

daneoni
Feb 8, 2007, 03:05 PM
Mines just shipped today, brought forward by 3 weeks!. Thats just awesome. However, im not sure if people are liking the base station because there's no Gigabit connection and 802.11n is ONLY 2.5x faster in the UK compared to 5x faster in the US.

Still can't come up with an explanation for that one.

NightStorm
Feb 8, 2007, 03:33 PM
Mines just shipped today, brought forward by 3 weeks!. Thats just awesome. However, im not sure if people are liking the base station because there's no Gigabit connection and 802.11n is ONLY 2.5x faster in the UK compared to 5x faster in the US.

Still can't come up with an explanation for that one.
Government regulations are the reason the 802.11n wireless is faster in the US when compared to the UK.

daneoni
Feb 8, 2007, 03:38 PM
Government regulations are the reason the 802.11n wireless is faster in the US when compared to the UK.

Thats just peachy...NOT!

sokrates
Feb 8, 2007, 06:06 PM
It works! Great! Thank you so much!

well not for me..... :( Azureus tells me that it established UPnP connections but
it tells me "unexpected end of file from server" .....

any suggestions?

Chosenbydestiny
Feb 10, 2007, 02:43 AM
Ah crap, I bought my macbook back in november when they first upgraded to core 2 duo. I probably dont have an N card right? I checked the computer info area and it didn't say.

netdog
Feb 10, 2007, 03:28 AM
Ah crap, I bought my macbook back in november when they first upgraded to core 2 duo. I probably dont have an N card right? I checked the computer info area and it didn't say.

You have the N-capable chipset.

stayanchi
Feb 14, 2007, 12:49 AM
I am having difficulty with getting my NAT in the green and even though i have mapped the port i still get a firewalled reading and yellow dht? Any help would be much appreciated.