Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhema

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
I have a question about how apple chose to design the iPod interface portion of the iPhone

one of the most distingushing features of the iPod was the click wheel. When all the iPhone rumors and fullscreen iPod rumors were floating around, everyone was saying there would be a virtual clickwheel. So, why isn't there one on the iPhone?

Does anyone know if with the multi-touch technology the only type of interaction is can understand is straight lines? because so far that seems be be the only way to interact. single touches, and straight lines, can the technoloy understand circular motions?

janitorC7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
California
I have a question about how apple chose to design the iPod interface portion of the iPhone

one of the most distingushing features of the iPod was the click wheel. When all the iPhone rumors and fullscreen iPod rumors were floating around, everyone was saying there would be a virtual clickwheel. So, why isn't there one on the iPhone?

Does anyone know if with the multi-touch technology the only type of interaction is can understand is straight lines? because so far that seems be be the only way to interact. single touches, and straight lines, can the technoloy understand circular motions?

I dont think that anybody can say for sure.

However I really hope that they find someway of having a click wheel

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
I think they've removed the *need* for the clickwheel. The clickwheel is great at what it does, but you saw the keyntoe, right? Now you can just flick through your artist list or playlists without needing it. Flicking is easier than spinning, no matter how much easier spinning is than the interfaces used before. It's a new paradigm.

Rhema

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Well, I think for right now it is fine, seeing that your itunes list will have to be short due to the 8 gig limit, but what about when, in 4 or 5 years, and they have 100gig iphones, and your having to scroll through your music files, it'll take forever, but i'm sure they will have a speed scrolling something or another implemented then.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Well, I think for right now it is fine, seeing that your itunes list will have to be short due to the 8 gig limit, but what about when, in 4 or 5 years, and they have 100gig iphones, and your having to scroll through your music files, it'll take forever, but i'm sure they will have a speed scrolling something or another implemented then.

I think the scrolling gesture is as good as the scroll wheel - what made it work was the acceleration curve it used. If you scrolled quickly and for a few seconds the scrolling accelerates which is ideal for long lists.

As long as the iPhone has sensible acceleration built in, it'll be just as good, IMO.

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
The thing I always liked about the Click Wheel is that you never had to pick up your thumb. Seems like this is the only drawback of the "flick"... you have to flick and then watch as the names scroll by... then flick again... and again... and then if you pass it, flick back the other way. I'm sure they have made it as intuitive as possible, but I think I will still miss the click wheel.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
The new volume control looks a little lame, because you hafta "find" the dot where the volume is and then drag it left or right. with the click wheell, you just spin!

i think flicking through to find your music should work fine :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.