Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
If someone could post step by step instructions on installing Vista with Bootcamp that would be greatly appreciated....I am not very familiar with Bootcamp..and Im not very familiar with having multiple OS's on my computer.

I just have questions like...how big of a partition would you recommend? after install what drivers/where can i get them to download/how to install them to get full functionability back?

I have a Blackbook 2.0GHz/Core Duo/80GB/1Gb RAM. After reading the forums I know it is possible to have Vista on a MacBook, but is it worth it? Thanks in advance. :cool:

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Basically, just installing Vista requires no expertise. A Vista installation takes darn close to 10GB, so take whatever you were going to use for XP, and add perhaps 8 or 9GB to that figure. After installation, you need to extract the drivers from the Macintosh driver installation package since it will not run on vista, and add several programs such as the backlight control application to the startup folder. Perhaps someone else can chime in with more specifics since I don't feel like doing the writeup. :eek: As far as Vista being worth it or not, in my opinion it isn't worth it if you have a copy of XP. Vista just feels like XP with a tumor attached to it that gets in your way whenever you want to do any elementary operation on the computer. Once UAC is disabled the experience is slightly more pleasant, but it still can't beat Windows XP.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
I agree with Bill. Vista really isn't worth it. XP is still supported and should work with whatever programs you need to use that're Windows-based. If you want to TRY out Vista, I've heard that a simple upgrade install from an existing XP installation works fine (given you do it completely with the driver installation etc). I don't have my MacBook Pro yet (that should change soon I hope. only $860 away! ^_^), so I can't say yey or ney to that for sure.

I've bold'd what to do so it stands out. Too many people tend to neglect such parts of a post.

Try that, and good luck.

kinchee87

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
New Zealand
I have the Windows Vista Beta 2 install disc.

The problem that I have is that after Vista finishes the installation and reboots, I can't boot from the Vista setup CD anymore. That's because when I get the message "Please press a key to boot from CD or DVD." my keyboard doesn't work (unresponsive) and the message times out and I'm given the Boot Manager error (and to fix this error I have to be able to repair the boot manager with the repair tools on the Vista setup CD).

I have a MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo with the latest firmwares. I've tried installing Windows XP and it installs and works perfectly. I just need to be able to use my keyboard so I can get the Vista installation to work.

Thanks anyone for suggestions!

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I have the Windows Vista Beta 2 install disc.

The problem that I have is that after Vista finishes the installation and reboots, I can't boot from the Vista setup CD anymore. That's because when I get the message "Please press a key to boot from CD or DVD." my keyboard doesn't work (unresponsive) and the message times out and I'm given the Boot Manager error (and to fix this error I have to be able to repair the boot manager with the repair tools on the Vista setup CD).

I have a MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo with the latest firmwares. I've tried installing Windows XP and it installs and works perfectly. I just need to be able to use my keyboard so I can get the Vista installation to work.

Thanks anyone for suggestions!
Why are you installing Beta 2? If you're going to install a pre-release version, you might as well install RC2.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I guess I disagree...

Basically, just installing Vista requires no expertise. A Vista installation takes darn close to 10GB, so take whatever you were going to use for XP, and add perhaps 8 or 9GB to that figure. After installation, you need to extract the drivers from the Macintosh driver installation package since it will not run on vista, and add several programs such as the backlight control application to the startup folder. Perhaps someone else can chime in with more specifics since I don't feel like doing the writeup. :eek: As far as Vista being worth it or not, in my opinion it isn't worth it if you have a copy of XP. Vista just feels like XP with a tumor attached to it that gets in your way whenever you want to do any elementary operation on the computer. Once UAC is disabled the experience is slightly more pleasant, but it still can't beat Windows XP.

The mac hardware is awesome! Especially for running Vista, even though I don't have Bluetooth working yet. I think Apple might have something in selling hardware to run Windows.

I'd say the MacOS is easier to run than Vista, but deep down, I think Vista is more powerful and it looks pretty cool on my MacBook Pro.

If all hardware worked as well as the macbook, I think Vista might be more appreciated. But I'm biased. I just like being able to run Office, Visual Studio, and SQL Server on my laptop.

kinchee87

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
New Zealand
Why are you installing Beta 2? If you're going to install a pre-release version, you might as well install RC2.

The only problem is that I don't have any later versions of Vista.

Now when I try to boot off from my Windows XP CD, my keyboard is unresponsive as well. On some rare occassions it does work but I don't seem to be able to replicate it.

kinchee87

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
New Zealand
I've managed to find a way to get keyboard response for maybe 50% of the time.
What I do is have a usb mouse plugged in when I boot up my MacBook Pro. Then I press Option key to get the boot choice and select the Windows partition. Then before the screen goes black, I press and hold down the shift key (I've used the left one all the time) and just before the " _ " stops flashing I release the Shift key.

Hope this helps others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.