Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mraub1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
Champaign, IL USA
I set up my new 24" iMac last night. This was by far my easiest computer installation. Basically, I just plugged everything in and turned it on. The only information I had to provide were the mail server addresses for my ISP. The only problems I encountered were those caused by a Windows mentality. There was no need to run installation programs for devices OS X had already installed itself–duh. Windows users need to be warned not to make it harder than it is.

I do have a couple of real basic questions:

1. The maximize button on a window makes it bigger, but does not fill the whole screen. Is there an easy way to make a window occupy the whole screen without dragging the corner of the window to size?

2. I downloaded a couple of programs and installed them in the applications folder. The files I downloaded remain on the right side of the screen, beneath the HD icon. Can I trash those icons without hurting the installed program?

3. I downloaded the free Quicktime plugin to play Windows Media files but not all files play. Some lock up Quicktime. What’s the most reliable way to get Windows Media files (mainly video) to play on an iMac?

All in all I’ve very impressed with the iMac and OS X. Though I bought “the manual that didn’t come with the computer” book, mainly I’ve been navigating by dead reckoning and generally doing OK. I had the iMac box sitting in may office all day and everyone kept asking me if I had bought a new monitor. I told them, no, that’s the whole computer. One of our younger secretaries told me that if I happen to run into Mr. Mac from the TV ads she’d love to show him a good time. No such interest was expressed as to Mr. PC.

Thanks for any help.

MIKE

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
1. The maximize button on a window makes it bigger, but does not fill the whole screen. Is there an easy way to make a window occupy the whole screen without dragging the corner of the window to size?
MIKE
Not really...that's about it. On a 24" though, do you really need to have the entire screen filled? You can have a cascade of windows you can just click and have them on top.

2. I downloaded a couple of programs and installed them in the applications folder. The files I downloaded remain on the right side of the screen, beneath the HD icon. Can I trash those icons without hurting the installed program?
MIKE
Yup, those are like the .exe files that remain when you download something in Windows.

3. I downloaded the free Quicktime plugin to play Windows Media files but not all files play. Some lock up Quicktime. What’s the most reliable way to get Windows Media files (mainly video) to play on an iMac?
MIKE
Just download WMP 9 from Microsoft. That's probably your best bet.

d'evils

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2007
England
Hi, I'm new to Mac myself but I think I can answer your questions.

1) I don't think so, but I might be wrong there. Any application that you need the full screen for (and 24" at that!) probably won't be the type that you'll need to make the window smaller and then bigger again anyway. I never use the whole screen for one app and my screen is only 13.3"!

2) You can delete those installer files.

3) Get VLC player. It's free and plays all video formats really well.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Just download WMP 9 from Microsoft. That's probably your best bet.

I think the best bet personally at this point is Quicktime 7 + Flip4Mac + Perian. There shouldn't really be many videos that will play successfully in WMP9 that will not play with that combo.

BUT....

Three things:

1) If you have videos that require WMP10/11 on Windows, many of them will not work on *anything* else.

2) Occasionally, VLC is more forgiving if something really odd is done with the file. I have it on my computer because it is useful for another piece of software I use (DVArchive can stream video off my ReplayTV if and only if I use VLC). Anyway, VLC (and to some extent Mplayer and a couple of others) is the major "backup" we use on Macs.

It seems though that, at least in terms of embedded videos on websites, it's very rare now that QT/F4M/Perian does not handle it.

3) Is probably obvious, but do make sure you also get Flash from Adobe. ;)

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz

3. Flip4Mac - plays WMV files in quicktime (within browser too). Works every time for me.

redmeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
i came from windows myself and was always looking for a way to "maximize" windows to fill the whole screen (like winblowz would do). i've started leaving it in apple's version of maximize, bc you can use the screen real estate for other things like safari plugin/extensions or seeing your buddy list etc.

and as stated above, get flip4mac it does solve a lot of the issues

good luck getting aquainted!

Nosebleed

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2006
New Zealand
I set up my new 24" iMac last night. This was by far my easiest computer installation. Basically, I just plugged everything in and turned it on. The only information I had to provide were the mail server addresses for my ISP. The only problems I encountered were those caused by a Windows mentality. There was no need to run installation programs for devices OS X had already installed itself–duh. Windows users need to be warned not to make it harder than it is.

I do have a couple of real basic questions:

All in all I’ve very impressed with the iMac and OS X. Though I bought “the manual that didn’t come with the computer” book, mainly I’ve been navigating by dead reckoning and generally doing OK. I had the iMac box sitting in may office all day and everyone kept asking me if I had bought a new monitor. I told them, no, that’s the whole computer. One of our younger secretaries told me that if I happen to run into Mr. Mac from the TV ads she’d love to show him a good time. No such interest was expressed as to Mr. PC.

Thanks for any help.

MIKE

1. Sorted
2. Sorted
3. Sorted

My other name is *Mr. Mac*--get your secretary to send me a PM ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.