PDA

View Full Version : How do I type superscripts and subscripts using keyboard shortcuts?

johnbro23
Feb 1, 2007, 02:29 PM
I'm taking notes in stats and I'm always having to use the ^ to represent a squared number, and writing out "sub" before everything that is subscript. Any way to just type in super/subscript?

apfhex
Feb 1, 2007, 03:03 PM
I don't think there are any keyboard shortcuts that can help you, but there are some unicode characters that can be used in place of changing the point size and doing a baseline shift.

10²
10₂

Depends if the font you're using contains them too, I think. Anyway they can be found in the character pallet under "Digits".

Ish
Feb 1, 2007, 04:23 PM
You can do it in Pages. Select the character you want to change and press

ctrl-:apple:-plus for superscript
ctrl-:apple:-minus for subscript

Luciapalooza
Feb 5, 2008, 09:19 PM
I figured out to type subscripts and superscripts if you're using Microsoft Word on your Mac

Subscript: :apple: + (=/+) then type what you want

Superscript: shift + :apple: + (=/+) then type what you want

it keeps you in either subscript or supercript mode when you use these shortcuts.

I hope I helped

TJW
May 4, 2009, 04:28 PM
for mac, e.g. pages:

Subscript = (cmd)+(ctrl)+(-)

Superscript = (cmd) + (ctrl) + (shift) + (=)

As (shift) + (=) = (+)

guneves
Aug 18, 2009, 01:40 PM
Those shortcuts do not work for me :(

I am on an MacBook Aluminum 13" with MacOS X Tiger.
Are those only for Microsoft word?

I realy need the

Cheers..

bmpwe
Sep 7, 2009, 02:29 PM
I know this is a super old thread, but just wanted to say thanks for the tip. Helped me out alot.

MRWZRD
Jan 26, 2010, 03:33 PM
I just wanted to clarify that these are the correct shortcuts and fully function is Microsoft Office for Mac 2008.

I figured out to type subscripts and superscripts if you're using Microsoft Word on your Mac

Subscript: :apple: + (=/+) then type what you want

Superscript: shift + :apple: + (=/+) then type what you want

it keeps you in either subscript or supercript mode when you use these shortcuts.

I hope I helped

dfrost303
Nov 8, 2011, 04:33 PM
Subscript: command + (=)

Superscript: command + (+)

this also works in safari

UtahRugbyGuy
Nov 10, 2011, 07:05 AM
It's just available in some programs and not others, not system-wide.

It just sucks because you can do it in both Adobe InDesign and Photoshop using Command + Shift + (+) ...but not Illustrator. The day Photoshop has superior type editing functionality than Illustrator, well, maybe the Adobe Illustrator team is just slacking. It's not like it's some unusual request. I'm 100 percent positive you used to be able to do it in older Illustrator versions.

Currently the only way to do it is manually in the character palette options menu. ...really blows.

AdeFowler
Nov 10, 2011, 07:13 AM
It's just available in some programs and not others, not system-wide.

It just sucks because you can do it in both Adobe InDesign and Photoshop using Command + Shift + (+) ...but not Illustrator. The day Photoshop has superior type editing functionality than Illustrator, well, maybe the Adobe Illustrator team is just slacking. It's not like it's some unusual request. I'm 100 percent positive you used to be able to do it in older Illustrator versions.

Currently the only way to do it is manually in the character palette options menu. ...really blows.

The type engine in illustrator has always sucked. Why Adobe can't have a consistent approach to type across all their apps is beyond me.

owlcourt
Feb 25, 2012, 10:18 PM
For superscript in Word for Mac:
Highlight the number
Go to Format / Font / click superscript / OK
That's it; you're done.

Anishpar
May 6, 2012, 05:27 PM
Word 2011---
Superscript:  + Shift + (=)
Subscript:  + (=)

Powerpoint 2011 ---
Superscript:  + Shift + (=)
Subscript:  + Shift + (-)

mentaluproar
Mar 28, 2013, 03:39 PM
I cannot get these shortcuts working in pages. Any ideas?

edit: forgot to shift. That a really cumbersome combination. Is there a way to change it?

nickzaf98
Aug 25, 2013, 05:19 PM
You need to hold the cmd and the +

tis220
Aug 27, 2013, 10:20 AM
subscript: shift + cmd + -
superscript: shift + cmd + =

Piggy Malone
Dec 1, 2013, 10:54 AM
For superscript in Word for Mac:
Highlight the number
Go to Format / Font / click superscript / OK
That's it; you're done.

Thank you. Such a simple solution. Saved me hours of experimenting.

DeanLubaki
Jul 18, 2014, 08:42 AM
Sorry for waking up an old thread but really, hasn't anybody found a system-wide way to use subscripts? I would be really useful to me as I have a lot of chemical formulas to type! :confused:

Thanks.