Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Well in the middle of 2005 we bought an iMac G5 with ambient light sensor.

After a period of use I soon discovered many applications were running very poorly and unexpectedly quitting continually. So I attempted to find the problem and a remedy through my knowledge, a technician at school and the useful advice of many users on MacRumors. But alas these problems did not cease.

So in January of 2006, the iMac went in to Rennaissance (NZ Apple distributors) for repairs. It was in for roughly a week or two and no faults were found. The report stated it passed all diagnostics.

A while later, we took the iMac back in as we were still experiencing the problem. This time it took atleast two weeks and the logic board was replaced after finding the fault.

With the new logic board the problem still existed and the iMac again was taken back in. Which resulted in a longer wait, perhaps three weeks as the logic board was delayed (yes another one) or something. At this point it was recommended to get Apple Care, and we did.

So onto the 2nd replacement logic board and the problem continued. By this time a call was placed to Apple Support in Australia our story was told and Apple Australia recommended to take the iMac back in to Renaissance and the Apple Australia technicians would communicate with their New Zealand counterparts to try and resolve the problem. However at this time my sister was finished her final assignment in university and desperately needed the iMac at home, so our fourth trip to Renaissance was delayed till late December 2006.

So on about the 18th of December, the iMac again was taken into Renaissance where it still is today. Communications have taken place between NZ and Australian technicians and many calls have been made from me to Australia as we have not been contacted as to what is happening, (basically all contact to see progress has had to been made by me). The Australian technicians advice has so far not worked, and up until recently they have been waiting on a screenshot of the problem from Renaissance, which they received by email yesterday only to find they could not open the attachment.

At this point I am very angry that the problem has not been resolved and I have been iMacless for a large amount of time. And the fact Renaissance contact with us all has had to be made from us. Also an Apple Australian support did say he was going to email us with a progress report that email never came.

We have also made two calls to Apple Customer Relations over this and generally haven't gotten anywhere. I have no idea when I will see this iMac or a refund or a replacement.

As far as I am concerned this is getting nowhere, wasting my time is becoming a pain in the butt.

End rant.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Apple has a high quality customer care. You will probably get a free upgrade to an Intel Mac :)

I would have thought what has so far taken place is pretty poor customer care.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
Apple has a high quality customer care. You will probably get a free upgrade to an Intel Mac :)

That smells of sarcasm.

pknz - that sounds really frustrating. I bet if the same had happened in the US it would have been sorted out sooner. For them to have had the machine for over 1 month now is pretty poor. Did you contact Apple customer relations for NZ/Oz or did you go higher and contact apple US? (if not, that may be an option woth pursuing).
Good luck!

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Yeah Im not sure how it would work if Apple USA was involved I think it might just get more complicated Apple US>Apple AUS>Apple NZ.

Rang Apple NZ, they said Apple AUS had sent an information gathering application over, and had hence run it and sent the results back to Apple AUS but had not had any reply since then.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Well they are replacing the transformer in the computer. I'm not sure how they came to this conclussion that the power supply was the issue and the New Zealand technician didn't think it would fix the problems either (this is Apple Australia's recommendation).

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Well Apple Australia has approved to have the iMac replaced. Hoorah.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.